• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Super Mario Bros. - generic Toads (Kino) first appear.
Super Mario Bros. 2 - THE Toad (Kinopio) first appear.

Maybe they were talking about Kinopio in Wario's Woods. I think that if SSB4 features a playable Toad, I believe he would be named Kinopio and not Kino in the Japanese version and be named Toad in the American version. Every time Toad is playable in a Mario spin-off game, he is usually called Kinopio, why not in Smash? And what about Toad's trophy in Melee and Brawl? Does it say Kino or Kinopio in the Japanese language?

:phone:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
^Kinopio is usually the name that refers to Toad as a character in most cases. Originally, the Toads were known as mushroom people so I'd assume Kino was the early name for all Toads and then the Toads maintained the Kino name while Toad was established in SMB2 as his own character with the name Kinopio which seems to be his specific name in most cases. However, I doubt it would make a difference...Toad is usually referred to as Kinopio anyways these days.

Also here's something new to get the Toad fans interested. Guess who Luigi's partner is in the upcoming Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon? :awesome:

Looks like they are continuing the trend of pushing Toad to the front lines as a major character. Yup, the two cowards are the stars. :smirk:

I guess Toad can fit as both a Mario series representative and a Luigi's Mansion representative for Smash. Double the worth. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Kind of old news, really. Only the art is new (sans Luigi).

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I believe Toad was also present in the first Luigi's Mansion, so that's not too surprising

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe Toad's role is more than being a save point in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Well it's true that the information about Toad being a major assisting character in LM2 has been known for quite a while now, this artwork does seem interesting in the fact that it's pushing Toad right into the frontlines with Luigi. In LM1, Toad never received such a boost even though he was the savepoint character (which again was a pretty minor role as a character).

Toad appears to be directly adventuring alongside Luigi this time around and I'm quite interested in how much help Toad will provide this time around. The new artwork does portray both the same frightened attention. :awesome:

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
i do think it may be fun to have toad in ssb4 but there's many move posibilites that wont be origonal, but a character like bowser jr. could have a unique moveset where he uses the paint brush from super mario sunshine.i have nothing against toad but i would not be suprised if another character from the mario franchise was put in before him,i do think toad does have a chance of making it.the least that would happen to him is he would be a assist trophy.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Rather than toad as an own character I'd prefer all the four toads (Redgular Toad, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad and Toadette) to stay inside Princess Peach's Dress and pop up ramdomly.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Rather than toad as an own character I'd prefer all the four toads (Redgular Toad, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad and Toadette) to stay inside Princess Peach's Dress and pop up ramdomly.
How about Toadsworth stays in the dress and Toad becomes playable? :troll:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
^Best idea. :awesome:

Though to be honest, Toadsworth would fit best as Toad's replacement as Peach's shield. I mean Toadsworth is Peach's steward in the games, so I'm sure that he would want to be as close to the princess as possible.

Toad's usually running right behind the Mario Bros., so give him a chance to escape from Peach. XD Also I'm sure Toad can have plenty of original moves (how creative can you get with Peach herself prior to Melee without Sakurai's assistance?). Sure Jr. may have the paintbrush, but Toad has plenty of unrepped moves such as the moves from the NSMB games which are yet to be seen (I especially state the NSMB games because they have plenty of new power-ups that can truly make Toad stand out). Heck, even give Toad a Baby Yoshi as a move. :p Imagine him using the Baby Yoshi as a shield or a little bubble blowing object similar to how Peach uses Toad in the previous smash games.

Also Toad's mushroom summoning and spore releasing abilities should be seen again. A mushroom based fighter is not very common in a fighting game. :p

D

Deleted member

If Peach summons Toad, and then he becomes playable...then if Toad summons Baby Yoshi....should Baby Yoshi become playable after three more Smashes? :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The Baby Yoshi looks like it touched too much fuzzy and got really dizzy.

Remember kids, winners don't touch fuzzy.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@Golden

Hey why not. I mean if Baby Yoshi becomes extremely relevant in the series then I don't see why not. Maybe a new Yoshi character if he appears in YI Wii U? :troll:

Though to be honest, I do see Baby Yoshis bringing potential as items/assists. Additionally, giving Toad a Baby Yoshi wouldn't be bad either considering that he is associated with them in NSMB U, and it's not like Mario or Luigi will be using them anytime soon so that leaves the other playable character (Toad) a viable choice representing a new game (even the Toad Houses have Baby Yoshi based mini-games).

Though I personally think the bubble blowing Baby Yoshi shows more potential to be unique than the other kinds if Toad did receive a move based off the Baby Yoshis from NSMB U. Blow bubbles at your opponents to push them off the stage (or perhaps poisonous bubbles?). :awesome:

[COLLAPSE="Blue Toad & Baby Yoshi"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Remember the original Mario Tennis on the N64? The one where Toad was playable? Yeah, bubbles appear from Toad's racket whenever Toad serves. So, bubbles are already associated with Toad and I think it would be fitting for Toad to use Bubble Baby Yoshi. It is just like how hearts are associated with Peach because hearts appear whenever she uses magic in Super Mario RPG and whenever she serves in Mario Tennis (N64). Anyway, trapping opponents inside bubbles seem like a good defense for Toad.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seeing Toad with perhaps a bubble-based Side B may be pretty cool. I lack a Wii U, but how often is the Baby Yoshi used in gameplay?

D

Deleted member

Those were bubbles? I always thought those were spores. You know, from being a fungus and all.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
would toadstool be a better choice? toad already comes out of peaches butt to take her hits. i feel like they'll have to take out the move or make toadstool the character. i think he'll also have more moveset potential. then again toadstool can be the replacement toad for peach

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@Arc and Golden
Indeed I nearly forgot about Toad being able to produce those bubbles from MT64. Very random at the time; however, it was cool to see whenever one charged Toad's racket long enough to perform power/technique shots. I'm pretty sure Golden is probably right that the "bubbles" was meant to represent spores (as like Toad's trophy celebration); however, they still looked an awful lot like bubbles at the time.

@ Opossum
I believe Baby Yoshi comes in nearly all worlds in several levels of NSMB U (perhaps not the final one). Additionally, Baby Yoshis can also be recruited on the world maps, so it is pretty much like a Power-up that you can access from your menu. :) It should be quite recognizable considering that both Luigi and Blue Toad were using Baby Yoshis on the cover art of the game as well.

@Jellybeanman
Toadstool? Do you mean Toadsworth because I don't know who you mean by Toadstool (unless it refers back to Peach's original name)?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanks for clearing that up, Propeller Toad. Anyway, seeing something Chronobound posted today got me thinking about an idea he had for a proposed Smash DS for back in the day that featured Toad. Perhaps a unique feature of Toad is that he can run up walls, similar to Wario's Woods? Chrono's idea. I'm just asking about it here.

D

Deleted member

Wall jumping and even wall clinging, I can see.
However, walking up walls seems a little too ridiculous (and potentially cheap).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just wanna smack the **** out of Peach, Mario and Bowser with Toad. Luigi is cool though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One idea for Toad's Smash Up+A move... Toad pulls a coin out from the ground, the coin spins in place in the air - hitting enemies multiple times - it's inspired by characters pulling coins out from the ground in Subspace in SMB2.

Shirekeldeo7

Smash Cadet
I'll like to see Toad if he was in a Super smash bros game i say give him the Mario Party 6-7 sound effects because they'll be perfect

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One idea for Toad's Smash Up+A move... Toad pulls a coin out from the ground, the coin spins in place in the air - hitting enemies multiple times - it's inspired by characters pulling coins out from the ground in Subspace in SMB2.
This seems like a cool idea. Although, I think maybe an Up Smash would be better suited than the Up Tilt, but that's just me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking about Toad's feet. They are like Kirby's... maybe Toad could spin and "drill" with his feet like Kirby and Jigglypuff do when they are doing their Aerial Down+A moves? It wouldn't be out of place since it would likely resemble the spin jumps the Mario Bros. and the Toads did in New Super Mario Bros. games. Hmm?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I pictured more a headfirst dive.
Like Yoshi's Aerial Forward+A move? That would be cool... hey, how about Toad doing a ground pound when you input Down+A while in the air? It would be like the other Aerial Down+A moves that Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, and Toon Link have... and hey, no other Mario characters can do this in Smash yet. ;)

goldglover5

Smash Rookie
SSB4 3DS moves 1

Toad

Basic A Moves

A- punch. A normal a attack.
Up A- Star Spin.
Down A- kick
Side A- punch (with more force)

Charged A Moves

Up A- Star Spin (Mario Galaxy)
Down A- Pick Axe. (Green Toad Mario Galaxy)
Side A- Mail Throw (Purple Toad Mario Galaxy)

Special Moves

B- Ice Flower Ball. (NSMBW)
Up B- Propeller Suit. (NSMBW)
Down B- Mini Mushroom. (NSMBW)
Side B- Star Bit Throw. (NSMBW)

Final Smash - Toad Brigade Star Bits!

The Starshroom comes from the skies, and fires star bits at all of the opponents on the field.

Color Changes

Normal
Red- Leader Toad (Mario Galaxy)
Blue- Nerd Toad. (Mario Galaxy)
Green- Pick Axe Toad (Mario Galaxy)
Yellow- Sleeping Toad (Mario Galaxy)
Purple- Mail Toad (Mario Galaxy)
Green 2- Bank Toad. (Mario Galaxy 2)

Check out my awesome profile picture.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ehhhh...I'm not too keen on Star Bit Throw. Maybe have it replaced with something to do with his Spores?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Toad is probably the most iconic Nintendo character not yet playable in Smash Bros. after Ridley and K. Rool. He is definitely next in line as far as another playable character for the Mario series in concerned. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the second highest selling home console game of all time in Japan where Toad was a playable character.

Wario's Woods is my favorite puzzle game of all time, so I would be happy to see Toad in. However, its quite possible Sakurai will deem that the Mario series does not need a newcomer. Toad also had a lot of competition for the Mario newcomer spot, though I think Toad is the most likely of all them.

Still, lately Toad has had a lot going for him, especially in just the past few months. He returned as a playable character in New Super Mario Bros. U, he was a costume in Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (as a matter of fact, he was the only Nintendo character that was a costume in that game that is not yet playable in Smash Bros.), was a playable character in the Super Mario attraction in Nintendo Land (you play as Miis dressed up as Toads chasing a Mii dressed up as Mario), and Toad had a cameo in Scribblenauts Unlimited. Not to mention a major role in the upcoming Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

Toad definitely has the wind in his sails. As a matter of fact, of all the years I have been involved with the Smash Bros. community, I have never seen Toad support as strong as it is right now. I think Toad has a lot of potential to pull ahead if his fans have the will to do so. Right now, Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi are pretty much on par with each other in terms of requests and interest to be playable in Smash 4. I think with everything that is going on for Toad (especially just in the past few months), he has plenty of reason to pull ahead. He could very well end up becoming within the Top 10 most wanted newcomers for Smash 4 after the game is formally unveiled at E3 2013.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
However, its quite possible Sakurai will deem that the Mario series does not need a newcomer. Toad also had a lot of competition for the Mario newcomer spot, though I think Toad is the most likely of all them.
If Sakurai was fine with Mario series having 5 slots in Melee and was going to give 5 slots to Mario series again in Brawl, I think he might be fine with having 5 slots reserved to Mario series in SSB4. I just hope that Sakurai is not lazy as to just throw in Dr. Mario and call it a day. I really hope that Sakurai would actually work on adding Toad as the Mario newcomer. I know everything really does look promising for Toad like you listed... but ultimately it all comes down to Sakurai and he is the only one who could dismiss everything and exclude Toad from SSB4. :scared:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here, feel much more people are supporting Toad nowadays. And indeed, a lot has been going for him. For me he'd make the best possible Mario newcomer, if only cause he's been playable so much in recent games. Toad is a real gaming icon, and like K.Rool, Dixie Kong and Ridley one of the biggest names not yet in Smash.

People where probably discouraged with Toad ever becoming playable by Peach's neutral B attack in Melee. So that, with Dr.Mario's inclusion made people sour about him. However, with Toadsworth around, Peach could easily have him as her neutral B.

This time, Toad will fight himself to protect the princess. Alongside Impa hopefully. :smirk:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This time, Toad will fight himself to protect the princess. Alongside Impa hopefully. :smirk:

Hey! Now that's a good idea for the Adventure Mode. Toad and Impa team up to rescue their princesses because Mario and Link aren't around to do the rescuing. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And then, get their *** beat so Petey Piranha can cage them again. :p No but seriously, Toad and Impa are quite alike.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Deku Baba Petey Piranha and Ghirahim are pretty much alike... they can do amazing things with their tongues. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom