• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Falco101

Smash Journeyman
I read somewhere online that Toad and Wario were confirmed characters for SSBB. Now I saw in the trailer that Wario has been confirmed, but where does that leave my buddy Toad? I would include the URL but I don't remember where I saw this.

That being said, any speculation on Toad being in SSBB?

Also, what kind of movesets do you think they'll both have? I hope Wario has a moveset based on his moves in Warioworld. I think the piledriver (for his d-throw) would be awesome.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Toad was never confirmed as a SSBB character. That doesn't rule out the possibility of him being in ssbm's sequel tho, but don't get your hopes up.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
meh make him a peach clone or atleast let him use turnips and maybe shoot koopa shells?

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
if they do decide to put him in i think they should change peach's B move. it might get a little confusing.

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
I could have sworn I heard the same thing; that Toad was confirmed. Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see......although I wish they'd hurry and release the final character list. For Melee, it was out and circulating along with a full list of moves 6-8 months before the game came out.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
TTempt said:
For Melee, it was out and circulating along with a full list of moves 6-8 months before the game came out.
No, it really wasn't. If it had been, it would've been posted on this forum. The character list wasn't posted until like three days before it released here, when someone from Japan posted it (since they got the game first).

There were plenty of FAKE character lists and moves circulating, but don't count on a complete character list until VERY close to release.

Kais

Smash Ace
Lishy said:
meh make him a peach clone or atleast let him use turnips and maybe shoot koopa shells?
Clones = the last thing we want to see in any smash game for the rest of time

Sorry, but I'm not too keen on clones ever since they screwed Ganondorf out of a moveset. Anyway, toad.....*thinks* I can't really think of much that could be considered "strictly toad-esque" and, having said that, would you really want him in SSBB if he doesn't have anything original about him? I mean, sure, hes toad, but I've never seen him actually do anything unique. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

~Kais

Impp

Smash Ace
I hope Toad is in. He's my favorite Nintendo character.
By looking at his games: Toad is a little guy with massive upper body strength. He's got poor jumping, but is pretty quick. That said right there is enough to make for an interesting character. He'd have the vegetable throw like Peach, but would be able to pull it off quicker. He should be able to hoist characters over his head like Donkey Kong. He'd be a light, and quick powerhouse. But I doubt he'll make it in the game, seeing as he barely makes the cut in the Mario games. He should be though, he was one of the few chars to ever play the hero in Wario games (Wario Woods). If he is in, he might replace my main as Kirby, which has been my main since day one of the first Smash Bros.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Impp, Wario's Woods was such an addicting game! I play it on my Animal Crossing (GC).

I love Toad! ...You know, they could put Toadsworth in instead
*shrieks*... Toadsworth does have a cane to whack people with...
back to Toad... Toad would have really nice colors. I'd love to see him do a headbutt (lol). Maybe if he accumulates enough damage, his head turns poison-ish and his B> would turn people tiny! Good idea

:lick: (I never understood this smily...)

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i just thought i'd chime in here and let you guys know that Toad has been suggested on Sakurai's poll.

i don't want to jump the gun here, but it *seems* like Toad is in.

here's the badly translated suggestion, suggested by "I love Toad very much (KinopioDaiSuki)":

"This time, we would like to have adding '[Toad]', is. Looking 'at [Toad],' you thought, it is, but as for [Toad], “that Pinocchio stands up in order to protect [Peach]!” When we would like to see it puts out with feeling, you think that it is good. I do not accumulate liking the place where the Pinocchio is lovely, we like. I am the elementary school student, but in just my class, 30 people while being, the Pinocchio we love 25 people. In my school, just one which likes the Pinocchio. We request the Pinocchio. "

i don't know why he's actually talking about Pinocchio, besides the fact that Kinopio is Toad's Japanese name. it must be a play on words (Kinopio & Pinokio), he can't really be suggesting Pinnochio. =)

Sakurai responds to the comment by saying something like:

Remainder of excitation, from the middle becoming “the doll of the wood where the nose extends” it increases. It is and - it is. It is and - it is. Because it is understood .

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that was deep....so deep, I didn't understand a word of it. Leave it to Babelfish to really ruin a translation......but in response to those who argued with my previous post, Nintendo Power had an issue a few months prior to the release of Melee with complete movesets for all characters but Roy and G&W. I never said a full character list, but at least a partially filled one would be nice, and I don't mean 8/30+ characters, more like over half. That's not asking too much, is it?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lishy said:
how would he be a peach clone?

Maybe instead of pulling up vegtebales he could pull up the little guys from Wario's Woods

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I liked the idea of toad throwing Koopa Shells, But you could just cut out the middle man and let Koopa Troopa throw himself.

Maybe the pinnochio is referring to Geno? Maybe that was, like, a nickname he had in Japan. It makes sense doesn't. A wooden doll coming to life, being nicknamed Pinnochio.

[uh-oh, hope they don't notice this contradiction to my previous argument of Geno's pure originality.]

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Resting_Fox said:
I liked the idea of toad throwing Koopa Shells, But you could just cut out the middle man and let Koopa Troopa throw himself.

Maybe the pinnochio is referring to Geno? Maybe that was, like, a nickname he had in Japan. It makes sense doesn't. A wooden doll coming to life, being nicknamed Pinnochio.

[uh-oh, hope they don't notice this contradiction to my previous argument of Geno's pure originality.]
Not really because Pinocchio was made alive with a fairy and had a big nose, Geno was made alive by a star and had gun type weapons

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Pinocchio is there because his name in japanese is Pinokio.

Toad is Kinopio.

just switch the Pi and the Ki.

i hope that kid was joking about Pinocchio but not about Toad. =)

Master_Of_Puppets

Smash Cadet
If Toad is in it, then Ill be very happy. But that will be yet another Mario Type character.

I don't mind it, its just there are to many, in my opinion.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
kilroy said:
Pinocchio is there because his name in japanese is Pinokio.

Toad is Kinopio.

just switch the Pi and the Ki.

i hope that kid was joking about Pinocchio but not about Toad. =)
he's like 10 he'd proberly want elmo in there... say theres an idea!

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Does anyone remember Nintendo's poll last year? It had 5 characters to choose from and I think 3 of them were revealed at E3... the last 2 choices were toad and krystal. Probably gives him a good chance...

btw i hate toad.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Toad would be a great choice. In fact, IMO Wario and Toad are the only Mario characters which deserve to get in, because they round out the main cast of the Mario games.

Its been suggested that Peach could defend with Toadsworth instead of Toad to avoid confusion.

crazyhoward

Smash Cadet
Toad is great and all but I really don't think that he fits in smash. I mean he's not much of a fighter. plus his voice is anoying. I think they should keep the characters a little more realistic in fighting abilities. you know like more than a foot tall mushroom.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
crazyhoward said:
Toad is great and all but I really don't think that he fits in smash. I mean he's not much of a fighter. plus his voice is anoying. I think they should keep the characters a little more realistic in fighting abilities. you know like more than a foot tall mushroom.
Smash is great because some of the characters and semi-realistic and some are cartoons, with everything in between. By your logic we should throw out the electric rats and pink cream puffs and brightly colored dinosaurs too. Toad is a classic videogame character and thats all you need to be to "fit in smash."

I'd like to see Toad with an up-smash that looks like the Toad-giving-Mario-a-star animation from SM64. :chuckle:

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
crazyhoward said:
Have you ever played Mario 2? He kicks *** in that one. He could have a "Picking" move like Peach, except maybe he pulls out Shyguys and other Mario 2 enemies instead. Also, you could incorporate any number of sports games, like Peach did. He has Mario Karts, sports attacks, flying Spores, and a truly annoying taunt (A good thing IMO). He would do just fine.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot! said:
Have you ever played Mario 2? He kicks *** in that one. He could have a "Picking" move like Peach, except maybe he pulls out Shyguys and other Mario 2 enemies instead. Also, you could incorporate any number of sports games, like Peach did. He has Mario Karts, sports attacks, flying Spores, and a truly annoying taunt (A good thing IMO). He would do just fine.

Mario 2 is the reason i really want him in here. he was pretty fast and REALLY strong, but heavy like a brick with poor jumping.

given his Mario 2 appearance, he should be able to pick up different items ala Peach, but much faster at it, and also carry items around like DK, with no encumberance.

that's if they keep him true to form from Mario 2.

crazyhoward

Smash Cadet
ok well maybe that would work. but in all the other games (not including sports) he's been the little guy who runs around screaming whenever peach gets stolen. I just don't think I could see toad throwing a punch or kick. His body just isn't made for it. The pink puffballs and electric rats (as stated earlier) have some sort of form to their bodies. I don't know. I'm just not a huge toad fan I guess.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
crazyhoward said:
ok well maybe that would work. but in all the other games (not including sports) he's been the little guy who runs around screaming whenever peach gets stolen. I just don't think I could see toad throwing a punch or kick. His body just isn't made for it. The pink puffballs and electric rats (as stated earlier) have some sort of form to their bodies. I don't know. I'm just not a huge toad fan I guess.

See Peach. The one getting stolen away as Toad screams. High tier in SSBM.

If it helps, just Imagine him with a body and A-move list similar in form to Ness, except with a Mushroom head and white parachute pants. They have similar body types. There is absulutely no reason why Toad would not fit into SSBB.

Edit: And keep in mind SSBM came out before Super Princess Peach, so Peach's moveset came mostly from her sports games, Mario 2, and two moves from Mario RPG (Frying pan and Umbrella). Toad has Mario 2 and Wario's Woods to draw from, not to mention all the things that we've seen Toad people doing over the years. :lick: I eat my eye at you.

crazyhoward

Smash Cadet
dotdotdot! said:
See Peach. The one getting stolen away as Toad screams. High tier in SSBM.

If it helps, just Imagine him with a body and A-move list similar in form to Ness, except with a Mushroom head and white parachute pants. They have similar body types. There is absulutely no reason why Toad would not fit into SSBB.

Edit: And keep in mind SSBM came out before Super Princess Peach, so Peach's moveset came mostly from her sports games, Mario 2, and two moves from Mario RPG (Frying pan and Umbrella). Toad has Mario 2 and Wario's Woods to draw from, not to mention all the things that we've seen Toad people doing over the years. :lick: I eat my eye at you.
Alright alright. that makes it a little better. but what does peach have to do with what I said? anyways but what would toads moves be if he's like ness? if you look at ness' attacks then you'll notice that he uses his telepathic abilities and random items like a yo-yo and the bat. It you make toad with items like that then he's getting close to a clone. but whatever I don't care if toad is in the game I just don't want him to replace a better character that they could put in. And I don't want to hear Toad's annoying voice.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Don't assume Toad won't have any moves. They created many unique moves for characters, like Peach, for example. Has she at any time in ANY Mario game used her butt to attack people? And cause an explosion? And Luigi, since when has he rocketed at people?

I think Toad should be a playable character. Peach's new "B" move should be Psych Bomb, her ultimate spell in Super Mario RPG. Toss multiple bombs at an enemy at one time causing a huge explosion. There are many other factors to Peach here, other than that move.

Toad could easily use skills from his past Mario games, and they could even make up moves for him, just like they did for Peach and other characters.. Anything is possible.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
crazyhoward said:
Alright alright. that makes it a little better. but what does peach have to do with what I said? anyways but what would toads moves be if he's like ness? if you look at ness' attacks then you'll notice that he uses his telepathic abilities and random items like a yo-yo and the bat. It you make toad with items like that then he's getting close to a clone. but whatever I don't care if toad is in the game I just don't want him to replace a better character that they could put in. And I don't want to hear Toad's annoying voice.
they can just hire someone new to do his voice or if you hate his voice play the game on mute!

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Toad's voice could be the next "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!""SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!""SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!""SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!""SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!" etc.

crazyhoward

Smash Cadet
Thank you deathborne and swift assiliant. finally someone on my side. Toad doesn't fit. There are many other great characters they could put in instead of toad.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
But the thing is, Toad DOES fit. He fits so well it's not even funny.

1. He's a video game character, Thus he fits automatically.
2. He's a Nintendo First party character, Raising his chances considerably.
3. He is playable in several games, giving him places to draw moves from.
4. He has a defined personality, annoying, but not as annoying as "Ohhh, Did I win?"
5. He has a fanbase, and a rabid one at that.
6. He is a mario character (way too many, yes, but if they put in any more Mario characters, Toad would be my pick, as much as I love Geno.)

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I would rather have Kamek or Geno. They would be more interesting to play as.

Toad is just...lame. But i guess his voice makes up for it. As long as he says something in his taunt I will probably play him every now and then just to piss off my friends XD

Viddles

Smash Rookie
I don't qute comprehend the "too many mario characters" argument. This is a Nintendo game with MANY Nintendo characters. Mario games are Nintendo's flagship. To me, it seems almost ANY Mario character should have a shot to be in (yes, that includes petey pirannha, goomba, koopa kids and jr's).

When you folks are saying there's other characters that deserve to be in the game before toad, are you at least referring to Nintendo characters? Or are you referring to various and obscure-to-some 3rd party characters such as viewtiful joe, or rockman/x.
If it is the 3rd party characters you are referring to, then no, I don't think they deserve to be in before toad. That's like your bro picking some random dude, who's just as good as you, to be on his basketball team before he picks you. That's just messed up.

Anyway.. I vote YES for toad.. as long as you include toadette as one of his alternate costumes. Toadette is hot!

Neo_Morphix

Smash Cadet
No!!!! They should remove Toad from every Mario Game!!!!! Toad gives me the creeps... :psycho: I mean I respect all those who like him, but I had to post this... if they put *it* in Brawl, it would turn Brawl into another "let's everybody hear the freakin' voice of Toad" game... Sorry to all of you, but that character just doesn't... fit's... anywhere!

Top Bottom