• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Something I wondered if we could keep an eye on:

Since Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker's gonna be coming soon to Switch and even 3DS, I wonder would this coincide with Captain Toad being probably shown at some point in Smash Switch as we'd approach the ports' release date during mid-summer, combined with Smash Bros Switch perhaps showing a "daily picture"-esque recurring updates on the game after likely reveal in E3 2018.

If Captain Toad could be revealed as a playable during that period, the Switch/3DS-port would be benefiting from explosive sales compared to the WiiU-days.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Since Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker's gonna be coming soon to Switch and even 3DS, I wonder would this coincide with Captain Toad being probably shown at some point in Smash Switch as we'd approach the ports' release date during mid-summer, combined with Smash Bros Switch already showing updates after likely reveal in E3 2018.

If Captain Toad could be revealed as a playable during that period, the Switch/3DS-port would be benefiting from explosive sales compared to the WiiU-days.
That would definitely be a huge boon.

Looks like that's the make or break time for a Captain Toad reveal.

But also hopefully more people pick it up this time round because Smash aside, Treasure Tracker is a wonderful little puzzle game and I really do want a sequel in the future!

Heck, I wouldn't be adverse to having Wario be the antagonist next time as a rival treasure hunter, and with his previous rumble with Toad in Wario's Woods.

Imagine if Wingo was one of Wario's subordinates ala Tatanga in Super Mario Land...ties it all nicely up!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Even though I may be very pessimistic of Captain Toad's chances, I still wish you luck and that the Captain Toad series gaining massive support and popularity, moreso than Paper Mario in the near future. I actually completed Treasure Tracker 100% on the Wii U a few years ago, and it was a very good puzzle game IMO. It didn't get the same critical and financial success in terms of Metacritic and VGchartz, but I would definitely love a sequel if the re-release ends up selling really good.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Since Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker's gonna be coming soon to Switch and even 3DS, I wonder would this coincide with Captain Toad being probably shown at some point in Smash Switch as we'd approach the ports' release date during mid-summer, combined with Smash Bros Switch perhaps showing a "daily picture"-esque recurring updates on the game after likely reveal in E3 2018.

If Captain Toad is in this game, which I see as very possible, then I do think that we will get him as a frontrunner for reveal. Likely E3.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been thinking about the game Getting Over it and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, I think it would be cool if not only Captain Toad could not jump, but also not move his legs. Using a pickaxe to move around the stage for more complex puzzles, except without the mental skill required to move the pickaxe from one location to another. Even though what I posted back in RTC was a joke, I think the idea has potential. :awesome:

Last edited:

Triangles

Smash Rookie
The only thing that goes against Captain Toad is his inability to jump due to his backpack, but I believe that can be incorporated into his moveset. Imagine Captain Toad being a mixture of Villager and Peach. His neutral special (B) is Villagers pocket, but can up to six item and projectiles at a time which is stored in his backpack. The more stuff he holds, the more damage his attacks deal, but his jumping also gets worse. Side special (Side B) is that he throws or launches a random item or projectile that's in his backpack making him weaker, but also lighter making recovering much better. His up special (Up B) is emptying out his entire bag. Every item is tossed out and launched in order for him to recover. The less stuff in his bag, the better his recovery is. Finally, his down special (Down B) would be Peach's vegetable. Like Peach, he is able to pluck vegetables from the ground (sometimes bombs) and use them as items, or, in Captain Toad's case, store them in his backpack. This is the only creative way I can see Captain Toad working out for Smash.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Glad to see some familiar figures in here.

Obviously I'm still hoping for our boy Toad to be added to the game. Whether it be the good Captain or the princess' retainer. He's the last relevant Mario character that truly needs to be added (still salty Rosalina and Junior even got in before him...), even though I'd honestly be super chill with Smash being Super Smash Mario or something, lol.

Wouldn't be against Boo, Pauline, Daisy, Waluigi, Birdo or Petey, though. Even Geno or someone even more random like Prince Peasley. I just love the Marioverse and almost all of its characters.

But Toad seriously needs to happen. He's three entries late already!

As for the new Captain Toad game, even though I already had it on the Wii U, I'm probably still going to purchase it, if only to show my support to the character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's good to see so many people from the old Toad thread here again. :)

Remember this?
I had also been trying to look for this, but somehow couldn't find it. Quite impressed how you did! :shades:

I do recognize that lil' guy drawing on the signature over there too...

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Personally I don't really want Toad or Captain Toad, I feel like there are more deserving Mario characters that could get represented personally.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I don't really want Toad or Captain Toad, I feel like there are more deserving Mario characters that could get represented personally.
Who is more deserving from Mario than a character who has starred in his own spinoff games, is usually the fourth player character and is universally recognisable?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Not a response to the trolling above, just a general statement:

Toad is one of Mario's "Main 8" - Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Wario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Toad. All 8 have been in Mario Kart since the beginning (heck, Toad even beat out Wario and DK since they didn't appear in the original Super Mario Kart), all 8 have been in every Mario Party (albeit not always in a playable capacity) since the beginning, all 8 have been in every Mario sports game since the beginning, all 8 have been together and made appearances in every single spinoff game since the beginning. Toad is also a mainstay playable character in the main games with more credits in a playable role than Peach, and has a game of his own to boot that not only was well-received but is also getting a Switch port.

But Toad is the only one who isn't playable in Smash.

We may clamor for Daisy, or Waluigi, or Geno,or Nabbit, or Petey Piranha, or Kamek, or even Rosalina pre-Smash 4, but Toad has and has had first dibs for a long, long while now and of the ones who aren't playable nobody is more deserving than him.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I'm all for regular Toad. He could use different Power-Ups, headbutts and references to Super Mario Bros. 2 and maybe even Wario's Woods.
But since Treasure Tracker is getting a port, it's sadly likely that it's just going to be Captain Toad.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm all for regular Toad. He could use different Power-Ups, headbutts and references to Super Mario Bros. 2 and maybe even Wario's Woods.
But since Treasure Tracker is getting a port, it's sadly likely that it's just going to be Captain Toad.
nothing wrong with captain toad

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
nothing wrong with captain toad
I just think regular Toad is more iconic and could have more varied moves. I mean, he could even use some moves from Captain Toad, and I'd have no problem if he were an alt. But I just think having the Captain instead would limit Toad's moveset options.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Who is more deserving from Mario than a character who has starred in his own spinoff games, is usually the fourth player character and is universally recognisable?
Look I do get the significance of Toad, don't get me wrong. I don't know it's just something about him, he doesn't seem like a distinct enough character who would have a particularly interesting move set, and I can't think of any Mario game I've played where he has fought. Plus there are already a lot of Mario characters on the roster. I just feel like that roster spot can go toward a different character from a series with less representation, but that's just me. Feel free to disagree but that's my opinion.

easy he might just be trolling
Just cause I disagree with the character inclusion doesn't mean I'm trying to troll. No disrespect or anything just a different opinion. Hopefully I'm allowed to have those lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Look I do get the significance of Toad, don't get me wrong. I don't know it's just something about him, he doesn't seem like a distinct enough character who would have a particularly interesting move set, and I can't think of any Mario game I've played where he has fought. Plus there are already a lot of Mario characters on the roster. I just feel like that roster spot can go toward a different character from a series with less representation, but that's just me. Feel free to disagree but that's my opinion.
Nah, that's fine sman. My confusion came at "more deserving Mario characters" to which I personally cannot think of any.

Waluigi and Daisy are big(ish) names I guess from spinoffs but Toad has a more perfect attendence record in the most popular Mario spinoff Mario Kart and whilst he doesn't have perfect attendence as playable; he appears pretty regularly as a playable in Party(as the host until Mario Party 5 where he swaps with DK), Tennis, Golf and Sports Mix.

Paper Mario is comparable to Toad having his own games, but my personal preference is I do not want a third Mario and honestly outside The Thousand Year Door and 64 the series has had very split reviews amongst fans.

Geno...is...well he's an obscure one time partner character in a good but ancient RPG with a cameo in Superstar Saga...which was removed for the remake due to licensing issues.

Incidentally though he's fought in SMB2, Wario's Woods, Mario 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Would highly recommend all four games, they are definitely worth a play! Toad's two starring games are puzzle based; Wario's Woods is a sort of tetris style game with Toad destroying Wario's monsters with bombs.
Play Mario 3D World to see if Captain Toad Treasure Tracker would appeal, he's got a bunch of mini games within that are vital to finishing the game. These proved so popular with Mario fans that they asked for it to be turned into a full game...which Nintendo surprisingly did!

Anyway, to each their own, but I would highly recommend at least playing one of the above four games if you enjoy Mario's universe as they are all excellent games in their own right!

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Incidentally though he's fought in SMB2, Wario's Woods, Mario 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Would highly recommend all four games, they are definitely worth a play!
Oh yeah I forgot he was one of the playable 4 in SMB2, and I wasn't a fan of 3D World at all and didn't play it too much so that's probably why I forgot he was in there. I do need to play Treasure Tracker though, I'll get the Switch one when it comes out.
I do not want a third Mario
Hell, I barely want two lol. Kind of wish they would swap Dr. Mario for Paper Mario and just give him a unique move set lol. Actually if they cut Dr. Mario I think I'd be more open to Toad simply because the Mario reps wouldn't be getting too overwhelming.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Just cause I disagree with the character inclusion doesn't mean I'm trying to troll. No disrespect or anything just a different opinion. Hopefully I'm allowed to have those lol.
well you come into a toad thread and tell everyone that there are more important characters more deserving, you can see why you think you might be trolling

sman3579

Smash Cadet
well you come into a toad thread and tell everyone that there are more important characters more deserving, you can see why you think you might be trolling
Well yeah but this just goes back to the difference in opinion thing I was talking about. While I acknowledge that you all would like to see Toad or Captain Toad added to the game, it doesn't mean someone who may not necessarily agree with that sentiment can't post a comment in the thread. Just think of it as a debate starter or for a challenge to persuade me to think otherwise like YoshiandToad did. With that being said I apologize if my original comment came off as troll-y, that wasn't the intended purpose.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well yeah but this just goes back to the difference in opinion thing I was talking about. While I acknowledge that you all would like to see Toad or Captain Toad added to the game, it doesn't mean someone who may not necessarily agree with that sentiment can't post a comment in the thread. Just think of it as a debate starter or for a challenge to persuade me to think otherwise like YoshiandToad did. With that being said I apologize if my original comment came off as troll-y, that wasn't the intended purpose.
i understand the difference of opinion and i wasnt accusing you of trolling i was saying you might have been

i was trying to prevent things from kicking off

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Oh yeah I forgot he was one of the playable 4 in SMB2, and I wasn't a fan of 3D World at all and didn't play it too much so that's probably why I forgot he was in there. I do need to play Treasure Tracker though, I'll get the Switch one when it comes out.

Hell, I barely want two lol. Kind of wish they would swap Dr. Mario for Paper Mario and just give him a unique move set lol. Actually if they cut Dr. Mario I think I'd be more open to Toad simply because the Mario reps wouldn't be getting too overwhelming.
I really would highly recommend you get Treasure Tracker for Switch. If it's anything like the Wii U version it should be a cheaper game too!

Also yes. I'd swap Doc for Paper Mario in a heartbeat. Even the fella who requested Dr. Mario only wanted him as an alt outfit originally, the irony!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
We welcome you to the thread! There's nothing wrong with some healthy debate.
But I must admit I did have my guard up with your initial comment!
Glad to see you're open to discussion, just as I am as well!

I have been wanting Toad since Melee! He has been my favorite video game character since the NES. And I'm in the same boat as YoshiandToad (obviously lol) as that I believe he is the most deserving Mario Character! With the release of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker I felt like his chances really went up! And I would highly recommend it, especially if you enjoy puzzles!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You know, I kinda admire the Daisy supporters. Just read through their thread and they're using the likes of Daisy appearing in Super Mario Run and a 2018 calender as a positive thing for her potential inclusion and getting hyped about her.

Meanwhile we have Captain Toad get his own spinoff game that did really well and is getting ported to both the Switch and 3DS, two playable Toad characters in Super Mario 3D World(one of which is the Captain himself), Toad(regular) appearing in playable roles everywhere from Tennis and Kart to Run and I'm still 50/50 whether or not it's enough for Sakurai to consider him for a fighter role.

I'm going to take a leaf out of the Sarassaian's book and get more positive about his chances and look at all the positives from here on. Let's get more active Toad Brigade with some discussion!

Let's say Toad/Captain Toad gets announced a a Smasher...when would you predict his reveal?

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Let's say Toad/Captain Toad gets announced a a Smasher...when would you predict his reveal?
At the earliest, probably E3. I could easily see Captain Toad being amongst the first 3 revealed (Each E3 for Smash 4 had 3 characters revealed and/or spotlighted. Villager, Megaman, and Wii Fit Trainer in 2013. Mii Fighters, Palutena, and Pac-Man in 2014. Lucas, Roy, and Ryu in 2015 (It was just that the datamine leak ruined much of that E3's surprise)

Although of course the other possibility is he's revealed around the time the Switch (And 3DS) port for Treasure Tracker is released. It seemed many characters whether they were newcomers or Veterans had reveals that coincided with games that released within the same month and/or were an anniversary of some kind for the character's franchise.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
You know, I kinda admire the Daisy supporters. Just read through their thread and they're using the likes of Daisy appearing in Super Mario Run and a 2018 calender as a positive thing for her potential inclusion and getting hyped about her.

Meanwhile we have Captain Toad get his own spinoff game that did really well and is getting ported to both the Switch and 3DS, two playable Toad characters in Super Mario 3D World(one of which is the Captain himself), Toad(regular) appearing in playable roles everywhere from Tennis and Kart to Run and I'm still 50/50 whether or not it's enough for Sakurai to consider him for a fighter role.

I'm going to take a leaf out of the Sarassaian's book and get more positive about his chances and look at all the positives from here on. Let's get more active Toad Brigade with some discussion!

I am predicting around E3 as well... I mean this game hasn't had as much build up around it like the 3DS/Wii U did. They just announced it and it's supposed to be released this year!

Like... What?!

And we have absolutely no info on it!

I have to say. I think I am being more optimistic this time around than I realize...

I have found myself enjoying peoples ideas for new characters. When... In the past... I used to scoff at (practically) any idea that wasn't Toad. (Never put them down for their suggestions, of course, I'd just roll my eyes and be like "that'll never happen.")

Now I am looking and enjoying seeing other people rallying for other characters and even rooting for them hoping they get what they hope for!

Maybe it's because I've matured over the years. Or maybe, I truly believe in my heart of hearts that Toad is going to make it in this time.

Cause I honestly I don't care who makes it in Smash as long as I get Toad.
We could literally get Courage the Cowardly Dog and Spongebob in and I wouldn't mind as long as Toad is there with them! Lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That Mario Aces Direct makes me raise an eyebrow. That seems like the perfect time to announce Waluigi or Daisy. Might be one to watch. I do kinda think we're going to get two Mario characters again since frankly the series sells like hotcakes.

Would be very surprising if we get regular Toad announced at the end of that though!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That Mario Aces Direct makes me raise an eyebrow. That seems like the perfect time to announce Waluigi or Daisy. Might be one to watch. I do kinda think we're going to get two Mario characters again since frankly the series sells like hotcakes.

Would be very surprising if we get regular Toad announced at the end of that though!
Mario Tennis Direct and not Captain Toad Direct? I am going to be sick. :scared:

SonicMario

Smash Master

What tennis aces direct? I don't see any reports about it yet

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yep! I’m totally down with this! He’s such a huge mainstay of the series, and deserves so much more than to just be Peach’s special. I really have no idea what Sakurai even thinks of him though... Maybe he feels he wouldn’t be unique enough?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
to be fair captain toad's games are ports
Yeah, I wish they were new games.

I wish Toad could have his own game that’s like Dragon Quest Builders. It could be called Captain Toad: Mushroom Builders or something.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I wish they were new games.

I wish Toad could have his own game that’s like Dragon Quest Builders. It could be called Captain Toad: Mushroom Builders or something.
yeah a brand new captain toad game would be great

dont know about you guys but i think ill end up buying it again

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
yeah a brand new captain toad game would be great

dont know about you guys but i think ill end up buying it again
No question here. I'm buying it for the Switch again at the very least. As soon as I saw 'new levels' it was a no brainer for me. I adore the game and I was clamouring for new levels!

I'd get it for the 3DS too but I've misplaced my console at current!

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do gotta say that I believe when it comes to the Mario franchise representation in Smash Switch. It may either be Captain Toad/Toad or absolutely nobody at all. I mean no offense of course to those supporting Paper Mario, Waluigi or Daisy. But Mario representation is already huge as is. And if any variation of Toad makes it, the Mario representation would finally feel overall complete when the other characters would simply feel more like extra toppings for Mario fans.

But if Toad happens to not make it once again. It may just be Sakurai and Nintendo are satisfied with the Mario reps as is. That itch for Toad will always be there for however long Toad isn't playable in Smash, but if he doesn't make it this time it may just be Nintendo and/or Sakurai's already good with what we got already.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I do gotta say that I believe when it comes to the Mario franchise representation in Smash Switch. It may either be Captain Toad/Toad or absolutely nobody at all. I mean no offense of course to those supporting Paper Mario, Waluigi or Daisy. But Mario representation is already huge as is. And if any variation of Toad makes it, the Mario representation would finally feel overall complete when the other characters would simply feel more like extra toppings for Mario fans.

But if Toad happens to not make it once again. It may just be Sakurai and Nintendo are satisfied with the Mario reps as is. That itch for Toad will always be there for however long Toad isn't playable in Smash, but if he doesn't make it this time it may just be Nintendo and/or Sakurai's already good with what we got already.
or sakurai secretly hates toad

Top Bottom