• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Brawl came out after Sunshine and we got Petey as a boss and Mario recieved FLUDD
We got Rosalina representing Galaxy and Bowser Jr and the Koopalings somewhat representing the New Super Mario Bros. series...

...with that said, I'm feeling a little more confident with Captain Toad as 3D World AND Treasure Tracker both boost his chances somewhat.

For Captain Toad's Final Smash which would you prefer?
Draggadon: Captain Toad rides atop Draggadon as he spits fire from the side of the stage and roars causing huge damage

Turnip Cannon: Captain Toad mounts the turnip cannon and rains vegetable hell upon the stage

Toad Brigade: Captain Toad summons the rest of his crew, they all obtain pickaxes and double cherries and ramapage across the screen

Or any other suggestions?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Brawl came out after Sunshine and we got Petey as a boss and Mario recieved FLUDD
We got Rosalina representing Galaxy and Bowser Jr and the Koopalings somewhat representing the New Super Mario Bros. series...

...with that said, I'm feeling a little more confident with Captain Toad as 3D World AND Treasure Tracker both boost his chances somewhat.

Draggadon: Captain Toad rides atop Draggadon as he spits fire from the side of the stage and roars causing huge damage

Turnip Cannon: Captain Toad mounts the turnip cannon and rains vegetable hell upon the stage

Toad Brigade: Captain Toad summons the rest of his crew, they all obtain pickaxes and double cherries and ramapage across the screen

i wanna go charging through enemies in a starshroom

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice

I love all of these ideas! I can see any of them happening! I picture the star shroom controlling like Diddy Kong's Final Smash and it can drop explosives down on the competition.

I love the Draggadon idea. With him standing off to the side of the stage and shooting fire balls at the stage!

The turnip cannon is an amazing idea too!

I'm trying to think of more ideas... But I'm not sure I can think of any that I like more than your ideas!

D

Deleted member

Im not a Toad supporter, but he's one of those characters that quite frankly, is long overdue (and it's really the only one that makes me feel that way outside of Ridley).

Seriously the fact that Toad is relegated to a move is ****ing stupid (not gonna sugar coat it, it's dumb) with that said im willing to accept the Captain since he's pretty much Toad with more of an identity (though i never understood how come Yoshi, a character that was literally a power up in his debut game, suffers from the same identity crisis and yet he had no problem getting in)

Even then i don't see myself maining him.................unless someones gives him Vinny's impression of Toad as a voice Mod, then i'll main that **** in a attosecond.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think he honestly makes perfect sense, in fact I think he makes even better sense than most of the potential Mario candidates. There’s literally only one thing holding him back and that’s his jump, and even then I think they could work around that. Otherwise, he’s unique, relevant, and a good choice overall, so add me to the support list.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Heya guys; I'm working on a little moveset for fun, but I need YOUR votes on the Final Smash as it's the one thing I really can't decide on.

Captain Toad's Final Smash - VOTE PLEASE!

Thanks Brigade!

Hopefully you'll like the finished piece.

(Those pallette swaps are still coming by the way, I got distracted by the moveset ideas but they're coming!)
I voted!

It was hard for me to decide cause I like all of those ideas. My boyfriend was the tie breaker for me. Lol

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Just voted!

I never realized how many different moves Captain Toad could have as a playable character in Smash. Especially since he only has two games where you directly control him (3D World and Treasure Tracker).

P.S. You can put me down as a supporter too!

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Heya guys; I'm working on a little moveset for fun, but I need YOUR votes on the Final Smash as it's the one thing I really can't decide on.

Thanks Brigade!

(Those pallette swaps are still coming by the way, I got distracted by the moveset ideas but they're coming!)
I voted.

all of those were pretty good ideas though so it was hard

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Thanks Brigade!

sounds like ill have plenty to add to the op

Just voted!

I never realized how many different moves Captain Toad could have as a playable character in Smash. Especially since he only has two games where you directly control him (3D World and Treasure Tracker).

you have been added, welcome

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Just voted!

There are a handful of character who had NEVER been directly controllable prior to their Smash appearance. Sheik, Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer, Ganondorf off the top of my head.

Laniv

Smash Champion
There are a handful of character who had NEVER been directly controllable prior to their Smash appearance. Sheik, Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer, Ganondorf off the top of my head.

Also the dog from Duck Hunt.

A second player could control the duck.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I just finished this moveset for Toad. I mostly thought about how I could incorporate the many Power-Ups in the Mario-games into his moves as Toad has always been supplying Mario & Luigi with Items.
The ones that make an appearance are: Super-Leaf,Tanooki-Suit, Hammer-Suit, Gooma's Shoe, Propeller-Mushroom, Penguin-Suit and the Golden Mushroom (if you count that). But just see for yourself.
I'd be glad to hear what you think. :D

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That Party Time Final Smash is pretty creative and it fits Toad’s traditional role as a Mario Party host.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I just finished this moveset for Toad. I mostly thought about how I could incorporate the many Power-Ups in the Mario-games into his moves as Toad has always been supplying Mario & Luigi with Items.
The ones that make an appearance are: Super-Leaf,Tanooki-Suit, Hammer-Suit, Gooma's Shoe, Propeller-Mushroom, Penguin-Suit and the Golden Mushroom (if you count that). But just see for yourself.
I'd be glad to hear what you think. :D

I love this. The Party Time and Brick Block specials are great and I'd not really thought about the golden mushroom as a neutral B before.

Very creative!

Will admit I mistook the throws for a revenge meatshield with Peach at first! Heh.

I also like that many of us agree on Toad getting the Potted Piranha Plant.

With most people's focus on Captain Toad I'm glad there's move sets being made for the OG.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I also like that many of us agree on Toad getting the Potted Piranha Plant.
I actually wanted to use the potted Piranha Plant for my Waluigi-moveset but it didn't fit in anymore, so I was really glad when I realised that it works for Toad just as well.

I also didn't know that people suggested that before, so it's cool that people independently get this idea.

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I guess so. I wish The Top 100 had a playable Toad and Toadette. :urg:
I literally didn't buy that game out of spite just because Toad wasn't playable.
I was super excited when it was announced and when I found out Toad was not a playable character I was like 'if I wanted to play these minigames WITHOUT being Toad... I'd just go back and replay the old Mario Parties!'

So... Yeah. Didn't buy that game. Lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's really weird. There was a small period of time where Nintendo were actively keeping Toad OUT of spinoffs(GameCube and Wii era) to the extent that he, as a member of the Mario Kart Big 8 ended up as a secret character in one of these rather than a starter.

Power Tennis is particularly egregious as he and Toadette are seen as doubles partners in the cinematic opening on the roster Wario and Waluigi look at and yet are not actually in the game at all.

Nope, far more important we have Wiggler and Fly Guy playable than a beloved series staple.

Seeing Boo in the 3DS roster and Toad as only a shop assistant, ref and Mii outfit was annoying too. But don't worry we also got 6 Yoshi colour variants and two Mario variants!

Add the main cast(Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Wario, Donkey Kong, TOAD, Waluigi, Daisy and then maybe Toadette, Bowser Jr and Rosalina) and then add the fillers like Koopa Troopas, Boo, Lakitu, Wiggler, Luma, etc.

So glad the Wii U period saw a return to form for Toad in playability... now please continue it!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I literally didn't buy that game out of spite just because Toad wasn't playable.
I was super excited when it was announced and when I found out Toad was not a playable character I was like 'if I wanted to play these minigames WITHOUT being Toad... I'd just go back and replay the old Mario Parties!'

pretty much what i thought about it to

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's really weird. There was a small period of time where Nintendo were actively keeping Toad OUT of spinoffs(GameCube and Wii era) to the extent that he, as a member of the Mario Kart Big 8 ended up as a secret character in one of these rather than a starter.
To be fair, I think Toadette was the reason Toad was a secret character in Mario Kart Double Dash. She was a new character at the time and she was supposed to be a surprise.

Same here. I was irked that The Top 100 roster consisted of 4 plumbers, 3 princesses, and Yoshi. Ugh... I wanted Toad too. He would have helped me overlook the fact it only has one board map.

My ideal Mario Party 3DS roster would be: Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Pauline, Yoshi, Birdo, Toad, and Toadette.

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
I do support Toad, but ONLY Captain Toad, NOT regular Toad. You can add me to the support list if you want, but I want Captain Toad, not a generic one.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Paper Mario Sticker Star and Colour Splash would like to have a word with you.

But I think Toads can only really be generic if they appear in large numbers.
I kind of agree. Toad is unique(red spots, blue jacket) until there's multiples of him.

Honestly I'd have much preferred if only one Toad had that colour palette and the rest had monochrome schemes(red spots + red coat, blue spots + blue coat, yellow spots + yellow coat, etc).

It's a weird thing because Toadette is pretty much a unique Toad and her partner is the iconic Toad, who is apparently not unique.

And then sometimes her partner is Captain Toad, who is confirmed to be a different Toad from SMB2 and Wario's Woods Toad just to further confuse matters...

Question for the Brigade: How would the 'iconic Toad' fans feel if Captain got in but there was a costume of Toad but using Captain's skillset?

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
As for why I'm specifically only pro-Captain Toad...
I don't think that regular old Toad is just notable in any way to be added. Add in the issue of a 'regular' Toad being Peach's Neutral B since Melee, and I never thought that regular Toad had anything interesting to offer.
CAPTAIN Toad, however, is a VERY different story. I would fully support him due to a lot of unique potential because of the puzzling genre of Treasure Tracker. Down B could be a Turnip (a la Peach), but I could see things like the Pickaxe and perhaps his Up B being a kind of 'platform lift' for a recovery (like how in Treasure Tracker, you could touch platforms Captain Toad was on to move him). I'd be completely up for Captain Toad having a Toadette alt as well.

As for generic Toads... let's just say that Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Mario & Luigi: Rescue of the Paper Toads turned me off of 'iconic' Toad really fast.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I don't think that regular old Toad is just notable in any way to be added. Add in the issue of a 'regular' Toad being Peach's Neutral B since Melee, and I never thought that regular Toad had anything interesting to offer.
CAPTAIN Toad, however, is a VERY different story. I would fully support him due to a lot of unique potential because of the puzzling genre of Treasure Tracker. Down B could be a Turnip (a la Peach), but I could see things like the Pickaxe and perhaps his Up B being a kind of 'platform lift' for a recovery (like how in Treasure Tracker, you could touch platforms Captain Toad was on to move him). I'd be completely up for Captain Toad having a Toadette alt as well.

As for generic Toads... let's just say that Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Mario & Luigi: Rescue of the Paper Toads turned me off of 'iconic' Toad really fast.
How would you feel if they went a somewhat conglomerate route? The character is still Captain Toad in name and everything, with a good amount of moves referencing his game. But he also borrows abilities known to be from the other playable Toads in other games. Such as quicker ground speed then all the Mario characters at the very least, and/or a decent regular jump (Even if Toad had the shortest jump anyway in Super Mario 3D World if I remember correctly)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i would argue that being a major character in a lot of mario games would make him notable and the various power ups hes used are interessting

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
How would you feel if they went a somewhat conglomerate route? The character is still Captain Toad in name and everything, with a good amount of moves referencing his game. But he also borrows abilities known to be from the other playable Toads in other games. Such as quicker ground speed then all the Mario characters at the very least, and/or a decent regular jump (Even if Toad had the shortest jump anyway in Super Mario 3D World if I remember correctly)
I'm honestly more than fine with that, giving him some abilities from other games outside of Treasure Tracker. It's just a case where I feel Captain Toad would be very interesting and regular Toad would... actually disappoint me a bit more.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
Honestly I'd have much preferred if only one Toad had that colour palette and the rest had monochrome schemes(red spots + red coat, blue spots + blue coat, yellow spots + yellow coat, etc).
This has always really bothered me. I never got why Nintendo used the blue vest, red spots-design for regular Toads as well. We don't really see more than one green Yoshi either (except NSMBU, and there's probably another one or two I'm forgetting, but it's certainly rare).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This has always really bothered me. I never got why Nintendo used the blue vest, red spots-design for regular Toads as well. We don't really see more than one green Yoshi either (except NSMBU, and there's probably another one or two I'm forgetting, but it's certainly rare).
This is basically the reason why I moved on making Captain Toad be the former unique Blue Vest/Red Spots Toad we had seen in the old days.

I guess it also helps that Super Mario Maker had tried to sneak in this fanon as well:

However, there's still the annoying fact that according to Koichi Hayashida, "The Toad" and Captain aren't the same character.

To that I'm just going to reply with this. :hulk:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
for the a billionth time people nintendo aint to bothered about who's the toad and who isnt

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
for the a billionth time people nintendo aint to bothered about who's the toad and who isnt
Yeah, I think it's more been they don't exactly give a damn, allowing all sorts of people to throw whatever they please about these characters - it's just that everyone out there keeps telling some more hardcore fans to take them as "Word Of God" or treat it as such, much like what happened with Koopalings losing their connection to Bowser as his offspring. Kind of annoys me personally. :050:

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
One of the biggest arguments I see against Toad(and Captain Toad) is that they're 'generic' as if this is a thing that matters.

Yoshi is generic and he's in the game. Heck, Yoshi is MORE generic than Captain who at least has something to differentiate himself from the rest of his kind.

The generic argument was used quite a lot during the Sm4sh speculation period, and yet it's always one I have to raise an eyebrow at when we have Pokémon, Yoshi(who is treated as a generic Yoshi in Smash; see the Melee opening or all Adventure modes), ROB who was a generic mook in the SSE really and Mr. Game and Watch(again see the SSE for details).

I actually suspect(although baselessly) Koichi Hayashida may have thought the generic thing was an issue and specifically stated Captain as a different Toad in order to help get the character a chance in Smash so he could still exist alongside Peach's B move...

...but that's baseless pondering on my part!

Top Bottom