• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Oh I forgot to check in here. I am in support of Daisy, Waluigi, Geno and of course Toad/Captain Toad for Mario newcomer of SSB5. But Toad really does deserve the most and I would be glad if he ends up being picked. And apparently, there is a decent chance Toadette could be his alt. :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I forgot to check in here. I am in support of Daisy, Waluigi, Geno and of course Toad/Captain Toad for Mario newcomer of SSB5. But Toad really does deserve the most and I would be glad if he ends up being picked. And apparently, there is a decent chance Toadette could be his alt. :p
i think everyone here is fine with toadette as an alt

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd really be more shocked if Captain Toad/Toad got in and NO Toadette alt made it. What a wasted opportunity that would be to get two Mario characters in for the cost of one!

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I've never been a far of the idea of Toad in Smash Bros.
Captain Toad, however, that's another story.
He's a funny character, whose backpack and equipment make even more particular, and he even has a game that is more than a Mario spinoff, but actually an awesome puzzle game.
Him returning for 3DS and Switch makes me think he has nice possibilities here, and unless Sakurai pulls a "Rosalina" with Pauline, I could almost take for granted that Captain Toad will appear in the game.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
At first, I was indifferent to the idea of Toad being in Smash, but after reading the below article, I have become more open to his inclusion.

Gamespot.com | Super Smash Bros. Switch: 20 Characters We Want

I definitely would rather have Captain Toad than regular Toad, as his tools would give him a more diverse moveset. Sakurai admitted that he didn't care much for Wario until the WarioWare series started. That said, now that Toad has started his own series, I fancy he has a bigger shot of being added now.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You know, I kinda admire the Daisy supporters. Just read through their thread and they're using the likes of Daisy appearing in Super Mario Run and a 2018 calender as a positive thing for her potential inclusion and getting hyped about her.

Meanwhile we have Captain Toad get his own spinoff game that did really well and is getting ported to both the Switch and 3DS, two playable Toad characters in Super Mario 3D World(one of which is the Captain himself), Toad(regular) appearing in playable roles everywhere from Tennis and Kart to Run and I'm still 50/50 whether or not it's enough for Sakurai to consider him for a fighter role.

I'm going to take a leaf out of the Sarassaian's book and get more positive about his chances and look at all the positives from here on. Let's get more active Toad Brigade with some discussion!

Let's say Toad/Captain Toad gets announced a a Smasher...when would you predict his reveal?
Ok so you want some hype huh?
Here's a few things that'd make us Sarasassians completely go monkey ape:

1. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker had SM3DW levels
-Guess what? Each element in that entire game now belongs to Captain Toad. Potted Piranha Plant? Shoo-in and is now the core of his potential moveset
2. Captain Toad appeared in Odyssey
-Claim the five kilometer radius around Captain Toad's "hiding spots" as "new moveset potential"
3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker remakes + Odyssey levels
-Think again Pauline Captain Toad has seen New Donk in the distance he owns it now.
4. Super Mario Run
-Forms the entire basis of my Toadette moveset. She uses flags to control a swarm of Toads for her Smashes. Tricks give her more Toads. These Toads can also help carry the Paper Mech from Paper Jam.
-For (Captain) Toad, the same applies, while also reinforcing the idea of a "platformer move" moveset with all the lil trick jumps
-It's a main game tell everyone

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm at the point where Toad himself would be a very big surprise, as I cannot see Sakurai choosing regular Toad over Captain Toad. Given information of our past about a character dancing in his head, it just doesn't seem practical to choose average ol' Toad as more than a costume for the Captain, whom I find very probable.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm at the point where Toad himself would be a very big surprise, as I cannot see Sakurai choosing regular Toad over Captain Toad. Given information of our past about a character dancing in his head, it just doesn't seem practical to choose average ol' Toad as more than a costume for the Captain, whom I find very probable.
I find myself at a bit of a crossroads with Toad. Whilst classic Toad is indeed my childhood(Wario's Woods, Mario Kart and the Super Mario Bros. super show were very much my staples) I must admit the idea of Captain Toad as a Smasher is more appealing to me.

Whilst I'd be more than perfectly ecstatic with regular Toad(especially if he takes cues from Wario's Woods) I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't mind Captain Toad replacing Toad in Mario Kart, Tennis and the like to make it more clean cut that Captain Toad is THE Toad.

With the random Blue Toad starring in 3D world alongside Captain Toad and being referred to as Toad it's all got a bit messy.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I have wondered that if it is Captain Toad that is represented by default in Smash if they'll at least somewhat make him somewhat of a conglomerate character with the playable Toads of the past. A good majority of his special moves still relate to Captain Toad related abilities but other things relate to previous Toad character appearences. Such as Blue Toad's (From Super Mario 3D World) speed, he wouldn't be the fastest character in the game obviously but still one of the quicker ones.

Obviously the heavy backpack's still going to be a thing that either makes him jump not very well or maybe he'll have the ability to remove his backpack which gives him more freedom to jump and move faster. But at the cost of having less attack options (Like maybe at least some of his special moves rely on the backpack being equipped in order to use).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah, Toad's speed is a big old question mark for me. Captain is IMO more likely, and he's...well he's sluggish, but Toads are traditionally both super speedy and super strong. A conglomerate character that utilizes that speed and Captain Toad's weight would be the best of both worlds.

If we look at Super Mario Run he's the fastest character in the game as Toad, so I'd expect him to outpace at least all the other Mario-verse related characters including Yoshi and Diddy, although him outspeeding the likes of Fox, Sonic and Falcon seems like a stretch.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I didn't want/ask for Captain Toad or Toad, though I wouldn't cry about their inclusion, and I also think that Mario has many reps.

My opinion asides, it's difficult to ignore that Captain Toad has a real chance to be in this new Smash Bros. as a playable character.
He is a character that became a regular in Mario's main games, while Rosalina had only a main role in Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2.
He had his own game on the Wii U, and we all know that this console didn't bring many new ips.
He managed to clearly distinct himself from the common Toad that Peach uses. He has potential, and still relevant in Mario Odyssey, and my little finger tells me we're not going to see him disappear soon.
As far as Mario characters go, there are not many left, except maybe for Paper Mario representing his Paper Mario games, and Waluigi or Diasy for the spin-offs.
I believe he is in. I hope for you guys at least.

PF9

Smash Lord
Toad is the only one of the core 8 playable characters that have been in all Mario Kart titles since 64 that has yet to become playable in Smash.

As Captain Toad he might have a chance. He's basically Nintendo's answer to Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I didn't want/ask for Captain Toad or Toad, though I wouldn't cry about their inclusion, and I also think that Mario has many reps.

My opinion asides, it's difficult to ignore that Captain Toad has a real chance to be in this new Smash Bros. as a playable character.
He is a character that became a regular in Mario's main games, while Rosalina had only a main role in Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2.
He had his own game on the Wii U, and we all know that this console didn't bring many new ips.
He managed to clearly distinct himself from the common Toad that Peach uses. He has potential, and still relevant in Mario Odyssey, and my little finger tells me we're not going to see him disappear soon.
As far as Mario characters go, there are not many left, except maybe for Paper Mario representing his Paper Mario games, and Waluigi or Diasy for the spin-offs.
I basically agree with everything you stated, especially in regard to Captain Toad himself. I still prefer Waluigi or Daisy, and I would sooner take both AND Paper Mario than Toad. However, his prominence is undeniable and honestly dwarfs all three of them combined. Sakurai's bias is the only obstacle the Captain has to face, and if I learned anything from Odyssey, getting in is not the problem.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Was playing in Photoshop and wanted to do some palette swaps for Captain Toad. Toadette is an alt, rather than a Palette Swap so I'll need to do her own icon later. Went a bit nuts...

Captain Toad, Toadette, Regular Toad, Toadsworth Palette
Hint Toad, Yellow Toad(Brigade, guy needs a canon name already!), Bank Toad, Mail Toad
Mummy-Me Pallete, Shroob Palette, Yellow Fire Toad(NSMBW), Blue Fire Toad(NSMBW)
1up, Golden Mushroom, Super Mushroom, Poison Mushroom

The more I look at the Toadsworth Palette the more I realise he looks similar to Rayman...Also just realised I forgot to colour Mummy-Me Toad's feet properly. D'oh. I'll edit later.

Any more suggestions?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I had the perfect idea for how to get Cap to "jump".

Remember how Toad in SMB2/USA was super strong and how you can pick up partners in New Super Mario Bros Wii/U and 3D World?

I'm thinking for the ground jump, Toadette (Captain Toad himself if playing Toadette) or another member of the Toad brigade picks up CT and tosses him upward.

PF9

Smash Lord
Captain Toad should get a sequel on the Switch. And if possible, John Williams should score the game with a score reminiscent of the score from Raiders of the Lost Ark (the first Indiana Jones movie).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Was playing in Photoshop and wanted to do some palette swaps for Captain Toad. Toadette is an alt, rather than a Palette Swap so I'll need to do her own icon later. Went a bit nuts...

Captain Toad, Toadette, Regular Toad, Toadsworth Palette
Hint Toad, Yellow Toad(Brigade, guy needs a canon name already!), Bank Toad, Mail Toad
Mummy-Me Pallete, Shroob Palette, Yellow Fire Toad(NSMBW), Blue Fire Toad(NSMBW)
1up, Golden Mushroom, Super Mushroom, Poison Mushroom

The more I look at the Toadsworth Palette the more I realise he looks similar to Rayman...Also just realised I forgot to colour Mummy-Me Toad's feet properly. D'oh. I'll edit later.

Any more suggestions?
perhaps, colours based on cat toad, boomerang toad, raccoon toad?

might look a bit similar to ones you already have though

edit: ooh what about ghost t. from the thousand year door

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why are people against the idea of Captain Toad jumping in Smash anyway? Doesn't fun trump faithfulness when possible?

Just give him one of the worst jumps (a la Little Mac) and he'll be as faithful as possible while still being playable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why are people against the idea of Captain Toad jumping in Smash anyway? Doesn't fun trump faithfulness when possible?

Just give him one of the worst jumps (a la Little Mac) and he'll be as faithful as possible while still being playable.
itd be hilarious if he had brilliant air game

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Ive written what feels like an essay on the topic at this point, but...

Captain Toad's entire game premise is build around his inability to jump, and instead using other means to attack and explore.
He is the foil to Mario, who was based AROUND his ability to Jump. We might as well call them Jumpman and Nonjumpman.
Captain Toad not jumping may be the most interesting thing about him- and a great means upon which to build his entire moveset. His inability to jump is perhaps what will help Sakurai to see the character dancing... what gives Sakurai the impotus to include Captain Toad at all.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ive written what feels like an essay on the topic at this point, but...

Captain Toad's entire game premise is build around his inability to jump, and instead using other means to attack and explore.
He is the foil to Mario, who was based AROUND his ability to Jump. We might as well call them Jumpman and Nonjumpman.
Captain Toad not jumping may be the most interesting thing about him- and a great means upon which to build his entire moveset. His inability to jump is perhaps what will help Sakurai to see the character dancing... what gives Sakurai the impotus to include Captain Toad at all.
But with Smash as air-based as it is, not jumping as a gimmick is just not going to work.

Not that I supported the removal of Wario's Shoulder Bash, but Sakurai provided this reason why he did it:

If I only included things true to the original source material, then there would also be times when things wouldn’t mesh well. I always reflect on things that went well and things I want to improve with every Smash, but I think it’s most important to prioritize a game’s enjoyability!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

A lot of people believe each individual fighter should revolve around the essence of their particular game series. A lot of people seem to think the point of Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker is "TOAD CAN'T JUMP" but that's kind of surface level at best.

Honestly the not being able to jump is just an excuse for the game mechanics to revolve around stage manipulation, puzzle solving, stealth(at times) and timing.

But with Smash as air-based as it is, not jumping as a gimmick is just not going to work.

Not that I supported the removal of Wario's Shoulder Bash, but Sakurai provided this reason why he did it:
To be perfectly honest I'd much prefer very small hops for Captain Toad's regular jumps and then AN INSANELY GOOD Up+B to make up for said poor jumps.

Personally I feel that'll hopefully negate his poor aerial game with one, or two if his side + B is also a runaway Minecart, of his specials give him some decentish recovery options.

I basically agree with everything you stated, especially in regard to Captain Toad himself. I still prefer Waluigi or Daisy, and I would sooner take both AND Paper Mario than Toad. However, his prominence is undeniable and honestly dwarfs all three of them combined. Sakurai's bias is the only obstacle the Captain has to face, and if I learned anything from Odyssey, getting in is not the problem.
Much appreciation to you both. It's sometimes difficult to see the merit in characters outside those you personally want, so the fact you both can still recognise his importance to the Mario series is kind of nice. A very nice change of pace to the Sm4sh speculation period, but I suspect Treasure Tracker and 3D World did wonders for his overall image and Odyssey certainly couldn't hurt.

perhaps, colours based on cat toad, boomerang toad, raccoon toad?

might look a bit similar to ones you already have though

edit: ooh what about ghost t. from the thousand year door
I'll give them a whirl in the next few days. Ghost T sounds fun too!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've never been a far of the idea of Toad in Smash Bros.
Captain Toad, however, that's another story.
He's a funny character, whose backpack and equipment make even more particular, and he even has a game that is more than a Mario spinoff, but actually an awesome puzzle game.
Him returning for 3DS and Switch makes me think he has nice possibilities here, and unless Sakurai pulls a "Rosalina" with Pauline, I could almost take for granted that Captain Toad will appear in the game.
I have this recurring visual for the Mario characters who are racing to get through the door (more Smash 64 original commercial than "race to the finish.")
Each time someone mentions a non Toad character getting in, I imagine them just kicking toad into the horizon. Kick the Toad!

It's terrible. And so very humorous to me.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
count me in as a supporter. and while we are on the topic of Captain Toad not jumping there is a simple solution that shows he can still jump by not really jumping. What I mean by that is use the backpack as a "magic bag" of sorts its not out of the realms of Mario canon. It can probably drop springs and then de-spawn as soon as he lifts of the ground or something. but hey I have not really played any Captain Toad games out side of the 3D world side missions but I love the guy none the less.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
count me in as a supporter. and while we are on the topic of Captain Toad not jumping there is a simple solution that shows he can still jump by not really jumping. What I mean by that is use the backpack as a "magic bag" of sorts its not out of the realms of Mario canon. It can probably drop springs and then de-spawn as soon as he lifts of the ground or something. but hey I have not really played any Captain Toad games out side of the 3D world side missions but I love the guy none the less.
ill add you to our supporters list then

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So I spent this morning and last night replaying Treasure Tracker(because heck the Smash hype got me excited to) and started another play through. It's been about a year and a half since I played the game proper so I thought I'd write up some quick notes:

After replaying the first few bonus levels I definitely want a potted Piranha Plant in Captain Toad's moveset. So dang satisfying mowing down Fuzzies, Blurkers and other Piranha Plants with your potted monster.

The music that plays during Sinister Street Signs as Toadette accidentally drops down into the room full of Mud Troopers and a pair of Angry Chargin' Chucks is FAR MORE INTENSE than it has any right to be. Holy crap.

Killing Boos and Mud Troopers with the Head Lamp still feels good. It's ironic that Captain Toad is a more effective ghost buster than even Luigi with just the help of a head lamp.

Actually, I really enjoy defeating enemies by falling on them in Treasure Tracker in general. I'm not entirely sure how that could translate to Smash, but taking down a Goomba Tower by landing on them in Bizarre Doors of Boo Mansion just feels great. That level in general is short but excellent. Between using trick doors to defeat enemies, the initial surprise that Captain Toad can take down the two gigantic Boos at the end by just standing there and the way when left idle he cowers. Doubly adorable if you're facing a Boo with the headlamp off and they're both cowering together!

There's a whole lot of detail in the game I didn't even recall; when scanning a Toad amiibo into game the Pixel Toad that appears has three different animations that play before regular Captain Toad levels;

1. He'll run on, look both ways and then leap into the level,
2. He'll run and trip, sliding a tiny bit across the floor before getting up and hopping into the level.
3. He'll do his finest Mario impression and do a hop, skip and a jump and bounce into the level.

HOWEVER if you can scan a Toad amiibo in on the bonus levels? Well the little Pixel Toad runs on, goes to jump into the level but is bounced back haplessly before the message reads "You cannot play Hide and Seek in the bonus levels".

Neat! Most games would have just cut to the message, but it's these adorable animations that really give this game a sense of charm and life that not all Mario games prior have had(although Odyssey seems to have got Mario having some unique actions depending on the level).

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Surprised I haven't posted in here yet. count me in for supporting Captain Toad. (not so much a regular Toad) I loved his levels in 3D world and he definitely would be a welcome addition to smash.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I'm a-OK with ANY Toad being playable, but I'm pretty sure the Captain has the best chance! Add me to the list!

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Toad is someone I do support for Smash. While I understand the generic NPC aspect of him, I honestly think Toad is highly more iconic and worthy of addition over others who have got in. It's time for the tiny man to enter the fray and be punched into the sky, pummeled around, and stomped flat.

I do see the appeal in Waluigi as well that gains him attention, so I could see it easily being a three way toss up between Toad/Captain, Waluigi, and Paper Mario if Mario scores an addition. Of the three, Toad would be my pick.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Toad is someone I do support for Smash. While I understand the generic NPC aspect of him, I honestly think Toad is highly more iconic and worthy of addition over others who have got in. It's time for the tiny man to enter the fray and be punched into the sky, pummeled around, and stomped flat.
If we're talking about the vague character who acts Peach's retainer, then yes, there's no reason to put Toad in.

But CAPTAIN Toad has quite a bit to him, from his vegetables, to his cannon, to his minecart, to his pickaxe, to his headlamp. He's more than just an ordinary Toad at this point, and being a main series regular in the Mario series just gives us more reason to want him.

I admit that I did kind of want Toad as a playable character and replace's Peach's neutral B with Toadsworth, but Captain Toad is just too good now.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
He's the last important main series Mario character in my opinion. Toads have always been prominent in the series, but they're pretty generic. Captain Toad stands out as his own unique character with unique abilities. Him having his own game helps too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
fogbadge; Can I suggest we put some more information in that first post?

Like any moveset ideas, palette swaps, etc and maybe an introduction to Toad and Captain Toad for the three people on Earth who haven't got a clue who these boys are?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
fogbadge; Can I suggest we put some more information in that first post?

Like any moveset ideas, palette swaps, etc and maybe an introduction to Toad and Captain Toad for the three people on Earth who haven't got a clue who these boys are?
well alright but bare with me cause i need a chance to do it and i need to find the stuff

edit: ok thats the swaps added, including my own, yours (if you dont mind) @Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma (if he doesnt mind)

edit: and now the move set section featuring my own

Last edited:
Top Bottom