• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Add me to the list of supporters please. Toad / Captain Toad is my most wanted Mario newcomer. Either one is fine for me. With how much traction Captain Toad has been given, he feels pretty likely to me.
done and done welcome to the brigade

zack4812

Smash Apprentice
Add me to this list as well. Toad is the most iconic Nintendo character that still isn't a fighter in Smash Bros, so I feel like he's got a great chance for being a newcomer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Add me to this list as well. Toad is the most iconic Nintendo character that still isn't a fighter in Smash Bros, so I feel like he's got a great chance for being a newcomer.
and youre added, the brigade welcomes all supporters

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
Captain toad would be great for the newest Mario Rep, He'd have an amazing play-style.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
After a long hiatus from Smash speculation...

I have returned.

And if there is one smashing truth I believe, it is that Toad DESERVES to be a playable character.

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
I have high hopes for Captain Toad being a playable character. He's too much in the spotlight right now with Odyssey and Captain Toad coming out again on Switch. He should be the next Mario series character to be added.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i gotta stop looking at the shadowy line up from the teaser trailer i keep thinking i can see captain toad's head lamp

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
This thread should have my moveset in it. (If it hasn't been posted already).

Toad is very fast on the ground, but has poor aerial mobility. His attacks are surprisingly powerful for a lightweight character, but this is offset by generally poor attack range.

Neutral Special: Item Chest.
Ever since SMB3's Toad Houses, Toad has been associated with powerups in the mario series. When you press b, Toad pulls out an Item Chest from Super Mario Brothers 3. He can continue pressing b to cycle through the different power ups in his chest, like Shulk's monado arts. He can move around while doing this, running while holding the box over his head. Each powerup gives Toad a new neutral special. When equipped with a powerup, Toad get's the power up's suit. Powerups last for about 45 seconds normally, but taking damage causes the timer to run down more quickly. The power ups are:
Super Leaf: Toad's neutral b lets him float through the air by holding the b button down. Press the a button while performing this move to do a quick tail spin attack.
Golden Mushroom(The one from Mario Kart): Toad's neutral special is like a quicker, short range version of luigi's side b. Notably, this move can be "spammed", activated another time while the first attack is in progress. This lets you extend your range, but also puts you at risk of flying off the stage.
Ice Flower: Toad gets an iceball projectile, similar to mario's fireball.
Super Bell: Toad gets the jump and pounce move from 3d world. It is somewhat similar to Ganondorf's aerial flame choke, slamming the opponent to the ground if it connects, but moves at a downward diagonal angle.

Side Special: Minecart
This move represents Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Toad jumps in a minecart and starts moving forward. The minecart is a bit slow, but while riding Toad can throw Turnips at 5 angles: forward, backward, up, and 2 diagonals.

Up Special: Propeller Helmet.
Coming from NSMB Wii. The Propeller Helmet lifts Toad up a great deal, and has a small hitbox on the propeller.

Down Special: Bombs.
Representing Wario's Woods. When this move is used, Toad sets a bomb on the floor in front of him, and kicks it along the ground. If it falls over a ledge it is affected by gravity. If performed while Toad is adjacent to an opponent, Toad plants a bomb on top of the opponent's head, which then acts as a sticky bomb that will detonate after a period of time. However, the Toad that planted the bomb is immune to its explosion, even if it gets stuck to his head.

Final Smash: Calling in the Brigade.
When Used the starshroom and with it the rest of the Toad brigade arrive on the battlefield. The starshroom flys back and forth over the stage while toads on the starshroom begin throwing poison mushrooms onto the field, which Toad is immune to for the duration of the move. They also throw Toad useful items from the mario series, which opponents can't use until the Starshroom leaves the screen. The Starshrrom stays on screen for roughly 10 seconds.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while; however, I must say that once I heard the news of a new Smash title, I came back to see the good ol' brigade. ^^ Glad to see you all doing well!

It can be disheartening to see Toad be rejected as a newcomer since the Brawl speculation days, but I am very happy to see Captain Toad's success in recent times! Will it be enough to warrant Toad or even the Captain in Smash? I sure hope so!

While I am very fond of all Toads, I also am a sucker for innovative designs whether it be Olimar and the Villager. I think Captain Toad's obstacle of not being able to jump can bring something very new to the table in the way of a substitute ability for a jump. Remember the touchstone/touchscreen platforms from CT: TT via the usage of the gamepad? Apologies for poor image quality (best I could find for now):

Perhaps Captain Toad can "cheat" the jumping mechanic by having a miniature touchscreen platform spawn underneath him as a mini "jump"/elevation of sorts every time you hit the jump button. It would be a pretty low and restrictive jumping tool, but felt it might be appropriate to mention it here. Treasure Tracker is all about the player assisting Captain Toad in deceptive ways compared to platformers including the ability to even raise platforms for him to reach higher areas. Perhaps this could be an effective throwback to this game (player assistance to CT) as well as provide an alternative to Captain Toad's inability to jump in Smash.

It might seem like an awkward animation to see Captain Toad spawning mini platforms (perhaps no bigger than himself) each time he "jumps"; but then again, Captain Toad in general isn't the most ideal-looking protagonist design either - so it fits in with his resourceful design and abilities imo. Waddling around with a massive backpack while accomplishing impressive goals, I feel this might fit in with Captain Toad's quirky character. Apologies if this idea has been presented beforehand, but hope I can help out in some way after quite some absence!

While I may not be around as often as in the past, I will do my very best to support Toad/Captain Toad just like the good old days. :D

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Hi Toad Brigade!

I wanna hear ideas you guys have for stuff that would be added to Smash if When Captain Toad/Toad makes in it!

I wanna hear ideas like what Toad themed staged would you like to see?
Maybe something based off Wario's Woods?
Or maybe a stage that travels through Draggadon's lair?
Or a Star Express stage, where fighters duke it out on top of the Star Express in the middle of a blizzard!

What about items? The Super Pick Axe comes to mind for me. But that may be too similar to the hammer. What about Double Cherries? How would those work!?

What about music? What music would you like to hear?

I'm interested in seeing what ideas you guys have!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i certainly hope captain toad's theme is in the game and a treasure tracker stage would be awesome

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hi Toad Brigade!

I wanna hear ideas you guys have for stuff that would be added to Smash if When Captain Toad/Toad makes in it!

I wanna hear ideas like what Toad themed staged would you like to see?
Maybe something based off Wario's Woods?
Or maybe a stage that travels through Draggadon's lair?
Or a Star Express stage, where fighters duke it out on top of the Star Express in the middle of a blizzard!

What about items? The Super Pick Axe comes to mind for me. But that may be too similar to the hammer. What about Double Cherries? How would those work!?

What about music? What music would you like to hear?

I'm interested in seeing what ideas you guys have!
I honestly think I'd want the Super Pick Axe to be Captain Toad's Final Smash more than an item(unless he rides atop Draggadon, which could be kinda cool).

Item wise; I think I'd prefer a Piranha Sprout as an item; pick it up and run around and it shoots rocks at opponents. I'd say Double Cherry but then I remembered Ice Climbers may be back and that's a definite bad idea. 8 player Smash. 16 climbers. Double cherries on high? 32 climbers! Game crashes. Oop!

Stage wise; Wingo's Whackdown could be pretty good fun and atmospheric...having Wingo himself as a stage hazard with a gust effect trying to blow everyone off the stage could be nifty. I'd love it if you coins appeared as you fought and you could collect them to summon Wingo's gust upon the opponents rather than it being completely random.
A Wario's woods background stage with all the various stacked monsters would be amazingly cool too.
Having the rest of the Toad Brigade in the background(if they are not alts) is a must as well.

Music wise; definitely Captain Toad's theme as well as the Retro Ramp up track which is a 8 bit sounding version of the theme. Definitely want one track from Wario's Woods too.

Whilst very unlikely to happen as Smash has never had this before;
I'd love a custom intro for Captain Toad if he's up against Wario where they fight over a golden coin before both falling over and the coin gets thrown off the stage, setting up their reason to fight. I'm still slightly gutted Wario wasn't the antagonist of Treasure Tracker...maybe if we ever get a proper sequel?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Now that inklings are confirmed I'd say that Captain Toad is the next character I think is nearly guaranteed to be a playable fighter this time around.

I'd be happy to see him in smash seems overdue!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I avidly look forward to the reveal of Captain Toad. I think it will be one the E3 reveals, alongside K Rool, a third party character, and one other.

We have had a lot of history of getting three Smash character's at E3, and I think now is when that tradition will break to make it even more of a surprise. Not to mention the much shorter time frame between announcement of the game, and when it will have to come out (since being delayed is much less likely for the Nintendo of 2018, after great recent history and the knowledge that they can add free DLC).

i actually think captain toad is a likely possibility at this point. thank god. it's about time tbh

well, i'm go into hiding to reflect on the horrifying possibility of the ice climbers returning

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
i actually think captain toad is a likely possibility at this point. thank god. it's about time tbh

well, i'm go into hiding to reflect on the horrifying possibility of the ice climbers returning
I am cautiously optimistic about Toad's chances of getting in Smash 5.

I was so sure that he would get in Smash 4. The Toad species, including Toad himself, had major roles in Wii and Wii U games in the years between Brawl and SSB4.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009)
New Super Mario Bros. U (2012)
Super Mario 3D World (2013)

It was upsetting when Toad was deconfirmed on November 21, 2013. That was the day Super Mario 3D World came out and the Pic of the Day showed the Super Mario 3D World cast in the Super Mario Galaxy stage and Toad was still Peach's shield.

It felt like Sakurai rubbed salt on December 18, 2013. That was the day we had two Pics of the Day. The first one showed Link shooting an arrow at Toad. The second one announced Rosalina as a newcomer. The Toad picture felt like it was giving his supporters hope when he said to not miss the Nintendo Direct, but it was false hope!

It felt like Toad would never get in Smash. He had no fighting chance of getting in the next Smash... but then E3 2014 announced Toad will finally get his own game after 20 years, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Yeah, it felt like a consolation prize after not having Toad in Smash but I was still hyped. He finally has a fighting chance to get in the next Smash.

But now it feels like he has a stronger fighting chance after March 2018 Nintendo Direct announced that Toad's own game will get a port on 3DS and Switch AND the next Smash was finally announced!

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Toad, Robin and Shulk were my Top 3 most-wanted in the pre-release leadup to SM4SH, with Toad being my #1 - and I got Robin and Shulk. Now I just need Toad and 2014-me will be ecstatic.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not going to lie, I've been after Toad since Smash 64, but I knew he'd have to wait until Peach, Bowser and Wario got in at the very least. Was very optimistic for Sm4sh, but then Rosalina, Bowser Jr and Dr. Mario's return kind of screwed that up.

Weirdly Bowser Jr, a character I actively disliked, ended up being one of my favourite newcomers thanks to the inclusion of the Koopalings and the genuinely creative moveset Sakurai gave the Koopa kids. I pray if (Captain) Toad DOES get in, he's not going to be a character who'se moveset I just can't get on with after all this time.

THE FEAR.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Not going to lie, I've been after Toad since Smash 64, but I knew he'd have to wait until Peach, Bowser and Wario got in at the very least. Was very optimistic for Sm4sh, but then Rosalina, Bowser Jr and Dr. Mario's return kind of screwed that up.

Weirdly Bowser Jr, a character I actively disliked, ended up being one of my favourite newcomers thanks to the inclusion of the Koopalings and the genuinely creative moveset Sakurai gave the Koopa kids. I pray if (Captain) Toad DOES get in, he's not going to be a character who'se moveset I just can't get on with after all this time.

THE FEAR.
I feel like if that were to happen, I would just play (Captain) Toad over and over and over again. Play him so much that I end up getting used to it, and then any OTHER character would feel weird.

I kinda had that situation with Duck Hunt in the most recent Smash. I HATED the moveset. But I ended up playing them a lot that I kinda got used to it!

.... But yeah. That fear has crosses my mind before as well. So you're not alone...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I feel like if that were to happen, I would just play (Captain) Toad over and over and over again. Play him so much that I end up getting used to it, and then any OTHER character would feel weird.

I kinda had that situation with Duck Hunt in the most recent Smash. I HATED the moveset. But I ended up playing them a lot that I kinda got used to it!
I mean to be fair I'm a Yoshi main, so peculiar and weird feeling movesets are not exactly something I'm adverse to. I did it for him, and I'll most definitely do it out of sheer bloody mindedness with (Captain) Toad!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I've worried about adapting to (Captain) Toad's moveset cause I am a Peach main. Have been since Melee (closest I could get to Toad!)
And I do a lot of my fighting up in the air. I use a bunch of different aerial attacks thanks to her floating ability... And I'm 99% sure (Captain) Toad won't have much aerial capabilities. Cause it's canon that even without the backpack Toad isn't a strong jumper.

So I feel like once Toad makes it in... I am gonna have to take some time reteaching myself!

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
As much as I wouldn't like to admit it, Toad seems very likely and would be a neat character to see in Smash. He's the only Mario character of the Main 8 who isn't playable, and he's fairly popular for that reason. He'd also offer a pretty unique moveset and it would be interesting to see what they do with him. He has my support.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

THE FEAR.
i disliked jr because of the koopalings

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i disliked jr because of the koopalings
Out of curiousity; how old are you fogbadge?

I'm early 30s now and so grew up with the Koopalings as 'Bowser's kids'. As a result when Jr. replaced the Koopalings for several years before they returned(albeit now demoted to NOT Bowser's kids) which has always sadly dampened my enthusiasm for Jr.

I'm guessing if you grew up during the Sunshine period though you have a...well...sunnier disposition towards Jr.

Actually some of my earliest childhood memories were sitting down to watch the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and the following two Mario shows starring Mario, Peach, Luigi and of course; our boy Toad, as they fought against King Koopa(Bowser) and his seven Koopalings...it was probably here I first heavily got into Toad as a character, and in turn gave SMB2 and Wario Woods a go as soon as I could.

Fun fact about this show and somewhat ironic now; I actually despised Yoshi for replacing Toad on the show in the third series almost exactly the same as I despised Bowser Jr. for replacing the Koopalings in the games.
Smash managed to save Yoshi(heck he's my favourite Nintendo character now with Captain Toad quickly catching up) and Jr. was one of my absolute favourite newcomers in the last game! What a difference Smash can make!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Out of curiousity; how old are you fogbadge?

I'm early 30s now and so grew up with the Koopalings as 'Bowser's kids'. As a result when Jr. replaced the Koopalings for several years before they returned(albeit now demoted to NOT Bowser's kids) which has always sadly dampened my enthusiasm for Jr.

I'm guessing if you grew up during the Sunshine period though you have a...well...sunnier disposition towards Jr.

Actually some of my earliest childhood memories were sitting down to watch the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and the following two Mario shows starring Mario, Peach, Luigi and of course; our boy Toad, as they fought against King Koopa(Bowser) and his seven Koopalings...it was probably here I first heavily got into Toad as a character, and in turn gave SMB2 and Wario Woods a go as soon as I could.
i am 26 (born 1991), i grew up with super mario 64, (and i suppose sunshine) the n64 was my first home console and ive never seen the mario cartoons

the reason why im sick of the koopalings is because i feel they have been overused, rather that getting some cool new bosses in certain games we just got the koopalings again so rather than guess what type of boss we'll encounter next we're instead guessing which one of the we'll be fighting next

and them being in smash annoys me because they are closer to being characters than toad is and i dont think they deserve and it seems like they stuck hr in the clown car so they could have the koopalings

in short theyve been the cause of a few disappointments

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
Captain Toad should be playable to distinguish him from the Toad in Peach's Down-B. They could still make the regular Toads a skin by simply equipping the lamp which Captain Toad has on his head along with the backpack, but keeping the classic Toad attire.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I still wholeheartedly support Toad as a playable Smash character. I think specifically our best bet is Captain Toad, and I'm fine with that, but I do hope he takes a few inspirations from other games such as SMB2 and the spin-offs (though the latter is okay with me if it's reserved for Waluigi instead)!

andimidna

Smash Master
I definitely support him too. That game was just adorable and he’s so recognizable. I’d love a gimmick with that pack, and having his jump animations be quickly raising platforms. I’m hoping he has a tether for his grab and the mine cart for either his up b or side b. Also, Captain Toadette better get some love too :)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I definitely support him too. That game was just adorable and he’s so recognizable. I’d love a gimmick with that pack, and having his jump animations be quickly raising platforms. I’m hoping he has a tether for his grab and the mine cart for either his up b or side b. Also, Captain Toadette better get some love too :)
If Toadette is NOT an alt for Captain Toad we can only assume Sakurai has gone mad.

I do love the idea of him using the minecart though. Those were some of my favourite levels.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Toadette is NOT an alt for Captain Toad we can only assume Sakurai has gone mad.

I do love the idea of him using the minecart though. Those were some of my favourite levels.
well ive been thinking for a while that sakurai hates toad

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I support Toad! (as seen in my icon lol)
a Toad character in Smash is long overdue, and I think Captain Toad is the best option! With a Toadette alt plz

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not only is poor Toad locked out of being a character by being tied to another character's move, he's tied to said character's rubbish move.

I think more people have used that attack for funny pictures than in actual gameplay.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not only is poor Toad locked out of being a character by being tied to another character's move, he's tied to said character's rubbish move.

I think more people have used that attack for funny pictures than in actual gameplay.
Actually tbf I use Peach's Toad counter as her main means of attacking when I play if only so I can claim Toad is the victor.

That is when I'm not kicking butt with the brawler Mii in a Toad costume. Much appreciated for that outfit as a wooden spoon prize. Made me play Miis a bit more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Actually tbf I use Peach's Toad counter as her main means of attacking when I play if only so I can claim Toad is the victor.

That is when I'm not kicking butt with the brawler Mii in a Toad costume. Much appreciated for that outfit as a wooden spoon prize. Made me play Miis a bit more.
And that costume confirmed that those are baggy pants to go with Toad's vague Arabian theme, not diapers.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
If Captain Toad gets in, I definitely would be surprised if Toadette didn't get in as an alt akin to Alpha and Olimar with separate palettes of her own.

Toadette's been getting quite some attention too as of late (from the Mario & Luigi title and SMR to even Super Mario Odyssey). Definitely a double combo to get both the Captain and the Archivist. Smash needs more lovable shrooms!

Last edited:
Top Bottom