• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to much "Kirby"?

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
meta knight was fine but now Dedede? Im not upset about those characters but there are other franchises that are bigger with less representation (Metroid, DK, Sonic...). Does anyone else agree?

EarthboundMun

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't think the Kirby series is getting 'too much' representation. There's any number of reasons as to why Kirby's rep has magically tripled, but I'm not too worried about it. Three characters from a deep franchise is fine with me, though honestly, there's not much else to give Kirby.

Don't worry too much about it. I don't think that Kirby is any less deserving than the other series you've listed.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. There should be more Kirby. It's more than likely there's going to be more Kirby. Get over it. Sakurai made kirby and he's making SSBB therefore.. more kirby. :-)

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Not at all... Dedede NEEDS to be in Brawl. Three characters is not too much representation... And no, the Sonic franchise won't get any more representatives... Diddy and Donkey Kong are enough for the DK franchise.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yes, because we've totally seen the full final roster to be able to say that the other franchises have been underrepresented.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
Considering that there was only one kirby rep in 2 smash games, i think this is just about right.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
meta knight was fine but now Dedede? Im not upset about those characters but there are other franchises that are bigger with less representation (Metroid, DK, Sonic...). Does anyone else agree?
I'm sorry but after Sakurai has held out for two previous smash games of representing his characters I think he finally deserves to have them represented. Don't you think the creator of smash deserves to have to have that privilege? Without Sakurai there would be no smash and this discussion would have never came up.

Also why in the hell are you bringing up Sonic, he's a 3rd party character in case you didn't know.

This could very well be Sakurai's last smash game and he deserves to have his prized characters represented for creating such a great series.

-Knight

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
The Zelda series had 4 representatives in Melee. 5 if you count Sheik.

Kirby had 1. I think it's fair, specially because both Meta Knight and Dedede are charismatic and unique characters in the Nintendo world.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
Kirby=Average
Meta=Speed
DDD=Strength

Seems about right to me ^.^

And im sure everyone is going to get tons of rep.
This is Brawl, you know? =]

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Yes, because we've totally seen the full final roster to be able to say that the other franchises have been underrepresented.
^ What this guy said.

Besides, Sakurai was way to modest with his characters in the last two smashes. Let him add more of his own in this one, I think he deserves it by now. It's not like he is adding bad characters ether, King D was a wanted character.

As long at the character is a good one, who cares where they came from.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Would agree, but this thread has too much fail to.

[edit]
no sonic is not big mario has alot of reps and dk is mario spinoff game.
Actually, Mario is a DK spinoff game. [/edit]

Gaiash

Smash Cadet
Oh noez, two new Kirby characters! Theres too much!!

Oh please, I'm glad we have some other Kirby characters, the little guy was all alone in Melee while Mario, Link and Pikachu all have other characters from their games and those 4 are the stars of SSB.

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly? Maybe. I'm hesitent to say because we don't have the final game, but there is an awful lot of Kiby in it, (not that thats a bad thing of course!). In addition to the three characters, we have 3 known items and one maybe. The maybe is the spiked ball, which might be a Gordo, but that seems unlikely after Dedede's move, so maybe its a Clu Clu Land sea urchin like is mentioned on Smash Wiki. One assist trophy (so far more than Zelda, Earthbound, Sonic, DK, Yoshi, etc.) The Cracker Launcher is from Kirby's Air Ride, tho it has no logo in the update. Lots of stuff. I hope the other universes get a franchise worthy amount of content too!

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Im not bashing Kirby. Im really exited to play with the new characters, but i think there are other games that deserve representation more than the kirby franchise. And i also know that there are still characters to be confirmed, I just think the Kirby franchise is fine where it is.

Colenstien

Smash Ace

How can you possibly think these two gods among mortals are too much extra for the Kirby series.
You know what? Bonkers 4 Brawl, Krako 4 Brawl, Lolo and Lala 4 Brawl, Star rod 4 Playable character!

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Im not bashing Kirby. I really exited to play with the new characters, but i think there are other games that deserve representation more than the kirby franchise. And i also know that not all the characters are confirmed yet, I just think the Kirby franchise is fine where it is.
So you think the Kirby series only should of had Kirby? I'm sorry but I would have to say that Sakurai is most deserving to have his characters represented over almost any other franchise. Do you understand that he created smash? A best seller?

Also please read my other post because I don't think you did. I want to hear your comment.

-Knight

Darkurai

Smash Master
Zelda and Pokémon had four characters in the last game. Mario had five

And since we haven't seen a Kirby stage yet, I'm saying there's not enough Kirby!

EDIT: Ack. Forgot the Halberd.

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
I think its also worth pointing out that if you go by what is said about SSB64 and SSBM, both Meta Knight and King Dedede were intended for both but taken out for time constraints. There was a thread somewhere that mentioned that ... So its sorta fitting they finaly get in, especially with the fan demand.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
So you think the Kirby series only should of had Kirby? I'm sorry but I would have to say that Sakurai is most deserving to have his characters represented over almost any other franchise. Do you understand that he created smash? A best seller?

Also please read my other post because I don't think you did. I want to hear your comment.

-Knight
I said it's fine where it is. As in right now. With the 3 characters and items. I just think that the franchise is already well represented in brawl with the info we know now and it should stay where it is.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you can.

And since you totally own a copy of brawl you know that DK and CF are totally underrepresented in it.
did you not read my post?

Im not bashing Kirby. Im really exited to play with the new characters, but i think there are other games that deserve representation more than the kirby franchise. And i also know that there are still characters to be confirmed, I just think the Kirby franchise is fine where it is.

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
Well, the colors are completely diferent, and in KAR, you can't stop shooting with it. Are you sure it's the same item?
No, I'm not sure. But its still basicly the same. Moreso than, say, Ness' bats and the Home Run Bat. I personaly count it as a Kirby item, tho since its not labled as such you can choose.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see how Sakurai's characters deserve to represented any LESS than any of the other franchises. Sakurai created the best selling game for Nintendo. He's the brain behind the whole operation. If it weren't for him we wouldn't even be talking about there being "too much kirby." I think he deserves more than what characters are in right now. As it stands right now Kirby has 3 characters in, while in past games Kirby has been represented by...hm... himself? Alone.

That's a lot more modest than I would think anyone would be. I know if I was Sakurai, I'd already have half, if not all of my characters in Brawl by now, and yet he's held out on it for two games. Years. I'd say he is pretty deserving of having his Kirby franchise characters in his game.

Plus, it's way too early for anyone to be claiming that any series is underrepresented. As others have said, none of us owns the game, so on what grounds can we claim that there are too many of a certain series right now? For all we know, when the game comes out the whole F-Zero crew could show up! Let's not jump to conclusions.

And once again, I think the Kirby series is the MOST deserving out of all of them, if you ask me. Sakurai's done so much for the gaming community. I think he deserves at least this. This'll immortalize his (and every other series included) characters for years and years to come.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Too much Kirby? Wow, if you're that concerned about balance for franchises, let's take a look at, oh I don't know, Pokemon?

Kirby has been the sole rep from his series for the past two games, it's about time Sakurai got to toot his own horn a little by having a couple more of his creations in the playable roster. I personally love the fact that Dedede is in, if only because Sakurai was awesome enough to give him a jet-powered hammer. Talk about your boomsticks, check out that action!

Catskill_Crew

Smash Cadet
Technically pokemon already has 5 reps, possibly 6 or 7...

Trainer
Pikachu
Charizard
Ivysaur
Squirtle
**Jiggz/Mewtwo**(Those are the possibilites..)

I think we can cut it with the cute, and cuddlies, unless that cute and cuddly is like... Kirby! =D

RedKnight

Smash Ace
who else would they put in from Metroid? There really isnt anyone important enough to add,

Also remember that the Mario universe has alot of characters represented as well. Mario, Luigi (most likely in) Peach, Bowser, Wario (he didn't used to have his own universe he was from Mario's) Yoshi (same as Wario he just branched out from there)

Then theres DK, you got DK and Diddy, pretty much the most important guys in their universe, though there still might be at least one more (I hope not '-_-)

Pokemon, theyve got Pikachu, and PT, to me thats enough though Jig or Mew2 could still come back, hopefully not since Melee was over loaded with Pokemon

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo wraps themselves with a cute persona blanket...it's really annoying.
Kirby is cool. Meta-knight is cool. King Dedede isn't cool at all.
Pokemon has got to be stopped.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Metroid bigger than Kirby? WTF?

Metroid can have Samus and Ridley, maybe Dark Samus but that seems pushing it already, what the hell are you talking about? Plus, the Kirby franchise has all the reps it needs to have now, no other can be added.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
too much? wtf are you talking about?

Dedede was supposed to be in 64, but Sakurai was too humble/modest to include him. He didn't want to show favoritism over the other franchises. After all, Sakurai=Kirby series.

Yeah, DK should've also had Dixie, but we don't know sure yet, but hopefully she's in. and HOPEFULLY KING K ROOL.

Yeah, FZero needs another player as well, but YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT TOO MUCH KIRBY...and the answer is no.

Yeah, you like Kirby, but obviously, not enough to enjoy this sudden spring of characters.

Dedede did NOT surprise me at all. since i've read long ago that Dedede was meant to be in 64, but not due to humbleness and modesty.

So there you go.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Metroid needs more reps, I agree.

Still has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of Kirby reps.

Top Bottom