• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to much "Kirby"?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
No one ever complained about too many Mario or Zelda reps. >_>

But as soon as a deserving franchise besides those two gets 3 characters, people start to complain about them. Ugh!

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Why would they not put in the top requested character on the poll? o_O

It's not Sakurai's fault people WANTED Dedede in the game.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Kirby has always had a fair ammount of representation, two original levels and the N64 one and numorous items. Not to mention himself; with his copy ability, he had a whole lot going for him, and was one of the most unique fighters. Hints of other enemies he's copied are the basis of his moveset.

The other franchises need love too though, including Metroid, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Metal Gear Solid, Earthbound, and Fire Emblem. I'm not a big fan of every single one of these of course, but I'm pretty sure fans of these series' would appreciate them getting equal attention to them, afterall, they have enough content within them to warrant more. Oh, and I am aware of the relation between characters like Donkey Kong, Mario, Wario and Yoshi, but since they have been appearing in they're own games (Like Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Story, Wario Land and WarioWare), they've really established themselves as seperate characters, and seeing them get more attention isn't at all a bad thing. If a Kirby spin-off series went through and Dedede was in some penguin kingdom, mingling with his penguin friends, trying to save Northern Pop Star from greenhouse gasses destroying their icy kingdom, then maybe King Dedede would deserve more attention, and characters from his own respective series. (Obviously the reason why he overtook Dreamland, I'd be pretty mad at those ****ed carbon-dioxide emitting denizens too.) I wouldn't rag on Kirby having too many characters if that were the case.

I don't care who's making the game though, this is a tribute to all of Nintendo's historical veterans. I'd like to see more too; Pit was a welcome suprise. I knew nothing of him, just as I knew nothing of Ice Climbers, but it's cool seeing them nonetheless, and researching their origins was a fun way to pass the time.

Speaking of which, notice how I didn't include Ice Climbers or Kid Icarus. Thing is, they really don't have a whole lot of games and it's kinda hard for me to say that there is a lot more needed to show them off. However, digging up characters like that and putting them in the game is still exciting to me, and I'm fascanated.

So in conclusion, not EVERYONE needs more characters; if Samus was the only playable Metroid character, then that's not a huge deal, the other Hunters didn't get much air time, and who would they choose? Ridley's pure boss material, unless I'm proven otherwise. But there needs to be more Metroid stuff nonetheless.

Why would they not put in the top requested character on the poll? o_O

It's not Sakurai's fault people WANTED Dedede in the game.
'Dat true!

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
Uhm, 3 reps is not a lot. And that's probably all we're getting. The Kirby series is genius, plus Sakurai has been a little too humble/modest with his own series. Besides, DeDeDe was a shoe in. Don't you want another unique heavy weight? :o

Puffs

Smash Ace
Kirby has always had a fair ammount of representation, two original levels and the N64 one and numorous items. Not to mention himself; with his copy ability, he had a whole lot going for him, and was one of the most unique fighters. Hints of other enemies he's copied are the basis of his moveset.

The other franchises need love too though, including Metroid, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Metal Gear Solid, Earthbound, and Fire Emblem. I'm not a big fan of every single one of these of course, but I'm pretty sure fans of these series' would appreciate them getting equal attention to them, afterall, they have enough content within them to warrant more. Oh, and I am aware of the relation between characters like Donkey Kong, Mario, Wario and Yoshi, but since they have been appearing in they're own games (Like Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Story, Wario Land and WarioWare), they've really established themselves as seperate characters, and seeing them get more attention isn't at all a bad thing. If a Kirby spin-off series went through and Dedede was in some penguin kingdom, mingling with his penguin friends, trying to save Northern Pop Star from greenhouse gasses destroying their icy kingdom, then maybe King Dedede would deserve more attention, and characters from his own respective series. (Obviously the reason why he overtook Dreamland, I'd be pretty mad at those ****ed carbon-dioxide emitting denizens too.) I wouldn't rag on Kirby having too many characters if that were the case.

I don't care who's making the game though, this is a tribute to all of Nintendo's historical veterans. I'd like to see more too; Pit was a welcome suprise. I knew nothing of him, just as I knew nothing of Ice Climbers, but it's cool seeing them nonetheless, and researching their origins was a fun way to pass the time.

Speaking of which, notice how I didn't include Ice Climbers or Kid Icarus. Thing is, they really don't have a whole lot of games and it's kinda hard for me to say that there is a lot more needed to show them off. However, digging up characters like that and putting them in the game is still exciting to me, and I'm fascanated.

So in conclusion, not EVERYONE needs more characters; if Samus was the only playable Metroid character, then that's not a huge deal, the other Hunters didn't get much air time, and who would they choose? Ridley's pure boss material, unless I'm proven otherwise. But there needs to be more Metroid stuff nonetheless.

'Dat true!
...What was that about Ridley?

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
The only way I'd think it was too many is if the numbers of characters per franchise stay the same, wich is unlikely to be the case. You can expect any franchise to gain at least 1 more character, exept the ones were this is not possible, like Ice Climbers. Think Ridley, Bowser Jr., Wolf Link & Midna, Krystal, Wolf, King K. Rool, Lucario.. Anything is possible, but it's safe to assume that the most highly regarded characters will be making their stand soon, on Febuary 10th. Announcing Ike and Sonic seems like fan request to me, wich is absolutely the case. Sakurai is playing midgames with us, but you should know we'll get what we want - but don't get your hopes up. To an extent. I mean, "Create a Character" just sounds stupid.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
I hate it when people say there's too much Kirby characters or that Sakurai is being arragont.

I mean, for one, he created SSB, he can add how many characters he wants. Oh, and did I mention that adding characters is NOT a bad thing? If you don't like them, don't use them or beat htem up when you go against them. Also... Look at Mario or Zelda.. Now compare them to Kirby.

Oh and Sonic? He's a 3rd party character. We're lucky he's in it at all.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
WTF???? OVER REPRESENTING??!?

Look!! he is up there, With Mario, Link and Pikachu!!

He is one of the four mascots , AND HE WAS ALONE IN TWO GAMES!!!:mad::mad::mad:

The one who is overrepresenting is Pokemon and you know that.

besides..:

How you can say NO to this guy???

Besides being WAY more important than Meta Knight. he was the 1# requested character on the poll..People WANTED him.

Kirby FINNALY have what he RIHGTFULLY deserve.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
last two games it's only been kirby. about time theres more characters from that franchise. It's obviously only gonna stay at 3 chars. I'm not worried because something tells me the roster will be huge, exceeding everyone's expectations.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I *do* think deep down that everyone is going to get the same kind of treatment Kirby is getting. The Subspace Emissary is going to help that out a lot, considering how the new threat is forcing them to fight back, and keep it from destroying their worlds. It's going to be quite the mish-mash of playa's.

...What was that about Ridley?
No offence meant to those expecting him to be a character, I know he's not even confirmed at this point, but I'm expecting him to be a boss. Maybe he could be a playable character, with the inclusion of maybe some of his Meta-Ridley moveset. But he just seems too big and awkward to be a playable character, seeing how his main mode of transportation is his wings, and that he's huge. Characters that walk on two legs save for a few of them seem to work the best, we haven't seen enough examples of characters like Ridley being playable.

Just an opinion. I love Ridley to be honest.

I hate it when people say there's too much Kirby characters or that Sakurai is being arragont.

I mean, for one, he created SSB, he can add how many characters he wants. Oh, and did I mention that adding characters is NOT a bad thing? If you don't like them, don't use them or beat htem up when you go against them. Also... Look at Mario or Zelda.. Now compare them to Kirby.

Oh and Sonic? He's a 3rd party character. We're lucky he's in it at all.
Not fair. Sonics inclusion in the game needs to be complimented by his own posse, and world. Snake deserves the same treatment, third party or not.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
If you don't like long explanations, DON'T READ!

WTF?

Sonic is awesome.

Mario is the spinoff series. The original Donkey Kong came before Super Mario Bros.
Dude, The DK Series is completely different from Donkey Kong. Technically, it's part of the Mario And Donkey Kong series. However, "Jumpman" branched off a new game for himself called "Super Mario Bros.". It wasn't until a LONG time after, Donkey Country came out, marking the first Donkey Kong series game. Mario, however, was far in his game, having Super Mario World come out. A later installment of the Mario and Donkey Kong series is Those March of the Minis games. It even has Pauline back in action!

And there you go. A little game history for ya. Mario has his own series. Donkey Kong has his own series. Just that, Mario is much more famous, and helped Nintendo in alot of tight spots with their sales. Don't get me wrong though, DK helped alot too. Donkey Kong Country helped the Super Nintendo push to it's limits, creating more sales. Soon, the Donkey Kong Country series ended since Nintendo basically got Rare to get out. But there's still DK Games, of course.

.... And here ends my long explanation. Uhhh.... So yeah. Mario basically get more characters... And the fact that the Mario series has more significant characters than the DK series (besides maybe the villain, K. Rool).

Karleko

Smash Cadet
no arguments there.

i think there's a more important question though, and that is how come Dedede and Metaknight have opposable thumbs and Kirby doesn't?
Because Kirby is from SPACE, he is the Star Warrior Kirby. King Dedede and Meta-Knight are from one and the same planet. Or something like that, I think, I hope I'm not wrong...

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I am glad that they are paying attention to the old characters. I have been waiting for king dedede,metaknight, and zero suit for the longest.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
no arguments there.

i think there's a more important question though, and that is how come Dedede and Metaknight have opposable thumbs and Kirby doesn't?
Technically Meta-Knight has just stubs because he's the same species as Kirby, somehow his gloves can work even though he doesn't have any fingers...or hands...or anything like that.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
The representive pyramid as i call it =

Mario = 6
Pokemon and Zelda = 5/4
Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Donkey Kong = 3
Fire Emblem, Earthbound, F-Zero, Various Retro Franchises, 3rd Party Franchises, Franchises first venture into smash ie - Pikmin, Golden Sun etc = 1 or 2

Thats probably in order of importance, sales, popularity. (i count ZSS as a character).

Were getting the perfect ammount of Kirby if you ask me.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The one who is overrepresenting is Pokemon and you know that.
Yeah. I second that notion. Other than the return of Jigglypuff, we don't need anymore Pokemon being playable characters considering that universe brought two of the worst characters in Melee. Also, over 100 of them make appearances out of Poke balls. It's ok if kirby has 3 reps in brawl since there was only 1 in the other 2 games. I'll give you a list of reps from the other 2 games.
SSB64: 2 Mario reps( Excluding DK and Yoshi since they have different symbols) 1 DK rep, 1 Zelda rep, 1 Metroid rep, 1 F-Zero rep, 1 Mother rep, 1 Yoshi rep, 1 Kirby rep, 1 Starfox rep, and 2 Pokemon reps.
Melee: 5 Mario reps, 1 DK reps, 1 Yoshi rep, 1 F-Zero rep, 4 Zelda reps, 2 Starfox reps, 1 Ice Climber rep, 1 Mother rep, 1 Kirby rep, 1 Metroid rep, 4 Pokemon reps, 1 G&W rep, and 2 Fire Emblem reps. We don't need mor pokemon reps. We need more Mother, Metroid, Metal Gear Solid, Sonic, and F-Zero reps.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Technically Meta-Knight has just stubs because he's the same species as Kirby, somehow his gloves can work even though he doesn't have any fingers...or hands...or anything like that.
I don't think Meta Knight is the same species, he just resembles Kirby without his armor. It makes me wonder why someone with nubs rather than hands wears gloves.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Has Sakurai confirmed himself that they are the same species, they look very similar but still, I'd like to know if they really are the same species

I don't think Meta Knight is the same species, he just resembles Kirby without his armor. It makes me wonder why someone with nubs rather than hands wears gloves.
Cleanliness. I guess :/

That's like saying black people aren't the same species as white people just because they only "resemble" each other.
Not really, both people of Black and White descent have been confirmed to be human-beings. Has Sakurai given an interview of some sort saying Meta Knight and Kirby are the same species? He is the only one to have the final say in this matter.

-Knight

silver777

Smash Champion
yes, they are the same species.

In this game only released in Japan, Kirby no Kirakira Kizzu, Meta Knight's gloves are also removed, revealing that he has no hands but stubby arms similar to Kirby's.

JEBesh

Smash Cadet
That's like saying black people aren't the same species as white people just because they only "resemble" each other.
yeah.. this post was just failure.

don't compare the reality of humans to a fictionally uncomplicated universe. if we were talking about something intricate and huge, like maybe middle earth, you could argue that. we're talking about kirby here.

aside from your arguement just being stupid, meta knight and kirby are both members of the Star Warriors group.

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
i think that there are still A LOT more characters to come. eventuallt 3 characters from the kirby franchise is not going to seem superfluous. for instance, i believe we will see more mario bros, zelda franchise, metroid franchise, and star fox franchise based characters. i believe final character count will be north of 40. of maybe thats just wishful thinking.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
yeah.. this post was just failure.

don't compare the reality of humans to a fictionally uncomplicated universe. if we were talking about something intricate and huge, like maybe middle earth, you could argue that. we're talking about kirby here.

aside from your arguement just being stupid, meta knight and kirby are both members of the Star Warriors group.
My post was failure huh? From your last sentence, you're taking the anime's logic and applying it to the video game canon. That too is apples and oranges.

JEBesh

Smash Cadet
My post was failure huh? From your last sentence, you're taking the anime's logic and applying it to the video game canon. That too is apples and oranges.
don't compare my arguement with yours.

you're comparing reality to fiction; fantasy to fact. not only this, but perhaps if we could imagine our universe as fantasy for a moment and therefore consider it comparable to kirby's, they would still be two entirely different universes.

the anime and the game take place in the same universe, and follow the same rules. meta knight in the anime is the very same meta knight in the games.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
the anime and the game take place in the same universe, and follow the same rules. meta knight in the anime is the very same meta knight in the games.
Can you honestly say that about King Dedede too? He's not an outright villan in the games, he even helps you in Kirby 64. How about the Pokemon Trainer? There are always differences in character between anime and game, and even anime and manga.

JEBesh

Smash Cadet
Can you honestly say that about King Dedede too? He's not an outright villan in the games, he even helps you in Kirby 64. How about the Pokemon Trainer? There are always differences in character between anime and game, and even anime and manga.
your Dedede arguement is irrelevant to the discussion. Dedede's intentions and role as a character have nothing to do with whether or not the core of the character has been changed from game to anime. Dedede still remains dedede, with only a slightly more antagonistic personality in the anime than in the games.

metaknight has had his role blurred between games as well, but he has never changed as a character.

if he is the same species as kirby in the anime, he is the same species as kirby in the games.

and silver, yes, i know.. that's what i was arguing if you read my post.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
There is no such thing as "too much kirby".

The game should in fact be renamed to "Super Smash Kirby: Brawl" or plain "Kirby Kirby Kirby: Kirby". The main character is obviously Kirby, who has inspired most of Sakurai's countless wet dreams. The source of this is, of course, Sakurai himself. Also, he said you cannot disagree with this.

silver777

Smash Champion
There is no such thing as "too much kirby".

The game should in fact be renamed to "Super Smash Kirby: Brawl" or plain "Kirby Kirby Kirby: Kirby". The main character is obviously Kirby, who has inspired most of Sakurai's countless wet dreams. The source of this is, of course, Sakurai himself. Also, he said you cannot disagree with this.
and he can put his favorite Kirby character as playable!! it will be too funny if it really happened!!:laugh:

Top Bottom