• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to much "Kirby"?

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
don't compare my arguement with yours.

you're comparing reality to fiction; fantasy to fact. not only this, but perhaps if we could imagine our universe as fantasy for a moment and therefore consider it comparable to kirby's, they would still be two entirely different universes.

the anime and the game take place in the same universe, and follow the same rules. meta knight in the anime is the very same meta knight in the games.
When do we NOT compare reality to fiction and vise versa? Also saying the Anime and the Video Games are in the same universe is like saying Sonic SatAM, Archie Comics Sonic, Sonic X, and the Video Games Sonic, are all in the same universe. It just dosent work, another way of seeing it is to say G1 Transformers is the same as Micheal Bay Transformers.

I'm sorry, but your logic fails.

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
There is no such thing as "too much kirby".

The game should in fact be renamed to "Super Smash Kirby: Brawl" or plain "Kirby Kirby Kirby: Kirby". The main character is obviously Kirby, who has inspired most of Sakurai's countless wet dreams. The source of this is, of course, Sakurai himself. Also, he said you cannot disagree with this.
Wouldn't we name it Mario Pokemon Zelda: Cashcow than? And wasent Kirby blugened with the Nerf Stick in the last game, I doupt that they would make his a super character. And also saying that HE is the main character, well, I don't think a game like this can even HAVE a main character, seeing that you switch from character to character quickly.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Nilok is right. If we couldnt compare fantasy to fiction then there would be no basis for any sort of discussion about fictional characters. After all, we say that Kirby, for instance, has hands and feet, though they're not like any hands and feet we know, but we still call them that.

And the Dedede point is not irrelevant. If there were two characters named JEBesh, one who wanted to kill Kittah4 in the anime and another that only wanted to argue with him in the games, I'd say that those two, while sharing the same name, had a different character. Because really, a character is defined by both physical and personality traits.

JEBesh

Smash Cadet
When do we NOT compare reality to fiction and vise versa? Also saying the Anime and the Video Games are in the same universe is like saying Sonic SatAM, Archie Comics Sonic, Sonic X, and the Video Games Sonic, are all in the same universe. It just dosent work, another way of seeing it is to say G1 Transformers is the same as Micheal Bay Transformers.

I'm sorry, but your logic fails.
of course my logic fails using your logic, because your logic fails certainly :)

you see how that's not going to get you anywhere?

comparing fantasy and fiction for imagination and "what if" purposes (which is why they are normally compared) is one thing, but comparing them as a support for an arguement in which one fact in reality can be supported as a fact for a fantasy isn't something you can do.

and your sonic arguement isn't going anywhere.. regardless of sonic's different ventures, (which, by the way, is an entirely different fantasy than kirby.. so again, comparing them does not work) kirby's games and kirby's anime both take place in Dream Land and follow the same rules with the same core characters.

you see, when something is created as a brainchild of a person and can become whatever that person wants and imagines, you can NOT compare it to reality or the brainchild of another. they are fantasy and therefore completely unrestricted by boundaries. that's why the original post i quoted, "that's like saying black people and white people aren't the same species because they look different" (or something along those lines) does not work.

meta knight is clearly a Star Warrior and it shouldn't take this much of an arguement to settle that.

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
of course my logic fails using your logic, because your logic fails certainly :)

you see how that's not going to get you anywhere?

comparing fantasy and fiction for imagination and "what if" purposes (which is why they are normally compared) is one thing, but comparing them as a support for an arguement in which one fact in reality can be supported as a fact for a fantasy isn't something you can do.

and your sonic arguement isn't going anywhere.. regardless of sonic's different ventures, (which, by the way, is an entirely different fantasy than kirby.. so again, comparing them does not work) kirby's games and kirby's anime both take place in Dream Land and follow the same rules with the same core characters.

you see, when something is created as a brainchild of a person and can become whatever that person wants and imagines, you can NOT compare it to reality or the brainchild of another. they are fantasy and therefore completely unrestricted by boundaries. that's why the original post i quoted, "that's like saying black people and white people aren't the same species because they look different" (or something along those lines) does not work.

meta knight is clearly a Star Warrior and it shouldn't take this much of an arguement to settle that.
However, the kirby anime dose not follow the same rules, further more the characters don't have the same personalitys. Also saying it is imposible to compare one franchise to another dosn't work, also fails, thats what the 16bit Wars were all about, and it created the greated rivalry in the history if video games, Sonic vs Mario.

Also Sakurai has made repeated atempts to show that Kibry and Meta-Knight are of the same species.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
kirby has been by himself for both smashes...now when he finally gets some reps you bash him ???????????? look at the 10 different mario and pokemon characters lol

LuLLo

Smash Ace
To the first post, it's nonsense, Kirby deserves more reps from his series, because Metaknight and Dedede play huge roles in his series...Metroid Prime deserves more too, but the only 2 reps I can think of are Ridley and Kraid (Kraid less, but still...)
Do you also think the Grim Reaper from Kid Icarus should be in? Cause that was a main character in the series too, if you think of how many times he's killed you

JEBesh

Smash Cadet
However, the kirby anime dose not follow the same rules, further more the characters don't have the same personalitys.

Also Sakurai has made repeated atempts to show that Kibry and Meta-Knight are of the same species.
if you're going to make such absolute statements of "facts" i suggest you present something supporting that if you want me to consider your arguement. how does the kirby anime not follow the same rules?

i already said the character's role changing has nothing to do with the character itself changing. evil dedede is the same concept as good dedede, just with his role switched to support a different story.

Also saying it is imposible to compare one franchise to another dosn't work, also fails, thats what the 16bit Wars were all about, and it created the greated rivalry in the history if video games, Sonic vs Mario.
i don't think you quite get it. comparing the quality of two franchises has absolutely zero to do with whether or not you can base the fantasy of one franchise on the fantasy of the next and say just because something is one way in one franchise means it's the same in the next.

given your apparent problem with grasping the concept of an arguement i'm not sure this is going to go anywhere.

and your last comment is supporting my arguement.. i'm saying kirby and meta knight are the same species.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
I am watching the Animal Crossing movie now on youtube, the move is based on Wild World.

the character in the film are exactly like their game counterpart, Names\personality\setting...etc.

but i don't like to think that they are the same exact thing..even if it was based on it.

the game is a world, and the Anime is another world.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I don't think Sakurai has said anything about the relation between Kirby and Meta-Knight.

At this point, I think it's just implied that there is a relation.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but I'd say that 3 playable characters for what is really a minor video game series is a bit excessive. Well, unless if Brawl has 50+ total characters.

But still, I'm loving all the Kirby characters. They're all very different, so I guess I don't mind what game they're from.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but I'd say that 3 playable characters for what is really a minor video game series is a bit excessive. Well, unless if Brawl has 50+ total characters.

But still, I'm loving all the Kirby characters. They're all very different, so I guess I don't mind what game they're from.
I disagree 100%. Don't you think creating one of the best fighting series of all time gives the creator (Sakurai) merit to include his absolute favorite characters from the series he created himself(The Kirby series)? Let's keep in mind that almost everything in SSB is based off of one game: Kirby's Super Star.

Sakurai has been modest in including his characters for 2 smash games and now people dare to even complain about him adding them now? Such a disrespect. This could very well be Sakurai's last smash game and I think he has earned the right to have his prized creations to be in the game.

No Kirby series = No Super Smash Brothers.

-Knight

Spellman

Smash Ace
Kirby has been the protagonist for almost 20 games, some being bigger successes than others, but 20 games nonetheless. Kirby has had a particularity strong presence on the handheld Nintendo gadgets, just as Pokemon has, and as of right now, his rosters lookin' pretty good and fair.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I disagree 100%. Don't you think creating one of the best fighting series of all time gives the creator (Sakurai) merit to include his absolute favorite characters from the series he created himself(The Kirby series)? Let's keep in mind that almost everything in SSB is based off of one game: Kirby's Super Star.
Okay, no need to get crazy.

I'm just saying that the Kirby franchise really isn't that big. Three Kirby characters might be a bit excessive, especially if other, bigger franchises, like Metroid, only get two or three. This has nothing to do with Sakurai--I'm not being "disrespectful" to him.

Just because you're the designer of a game that takes content from all over Nintendo doesn't mean you should flood it with your own creations. I personally don't think he's done that; I think the three Kirby characters are just fine. It just feels weird for there to be more Kirby than Metroid characters. With Ridley, it would be 3 vs. 2.5. I guess we'll see.

I'm a little concerned with your fanatical defense of all perceived slights against Sakurai, though.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land

Sakurai has been modest in including his characters for 2 smash games and now people dare to even complain about him adding them now? Such a disrespect. This could very well be Sakurai's last smash game and I think he has earned the right to have his prized creations to be in the game.

-Knight
Nicely put! Don't forget that Kirby is one of the mascots of Smash!;)

his absolute favorite characters from the series he created himself(The Kirby series)
Do you know who is his favorite characters in Kirby?:chuckle::chuckle: don't go too far or he might include them!!:laugh::laugh:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I agree that DK and Metroid need another rep (should be obvious who). I'd say they're on par with Kirby.
Kirby DOES NOT deserve more reps just because Sakurai made him. That's just stupid, illogical thinking. So what if Sakurai made Smash? Kirby characters aren't Smash characters. I suppose we need 3 Pikmin reps since Miyamoto made that and he also made Super Mario Brothers.

As for the stuff about "it doesn't matter what series characters are from": It totally does. That's supposed to be what Smash is about. If it was just how cool characters are that matters, the entire roster would be <insert favorite series here>. It wouldn't be Smash.
If I had made Smash, there would be 1 (only 1) character per franchise, with the 1 (one) exception of Luigi. But, it's too late now, since they started down the wrong road in the first one, and it'd just be annoying to change. So we're going to 2/3 of the roster belonging to 5 series, while the deserving underdogs (Little Mac, Isaac, Andy, Stafy, Sukapon, etc) go completely ignored.
This is just my pessimistic predictions, though. Here's to hoping the playable series break the 30 mark! *drinks mouse*

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I'm not sure why people would think of Bashing Sakurai and Dedede for including the big three from Kirby. I'm pretty sure thats IT for Kirby, those are the only three recurring characters that hold much weight. Plus, as has been mentioned time and time again, Kirby was by himself for two smash games.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

-Knight
Bravo, bravo! I've read all of the post up to this point and yours is one of the many that I totally agree with (obviously I'm pro Kirby/Dedede/Meta-Knight). The guy made this awesome series why love, SSB, so he more than anyone else deserves to flood the games with characters from his own creation, the Kirby series, but being the modest guy he is, he waited all the way til Brawl before considering adding more Kirby characters. He adds 2 more characters (2...such a measly number...) from the Kirby universe, and people are ragging on him!!

Anyway, the reason I quoted this post wasn't just because I agree with K.Knight's opinion. There were many others whose opinions I agreed with. What caught my attention is when he said Kirby Superstars inspired SSB. How?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I agree that DK and Metroid need another rep (should be obvious who). I'd say they're on par with Kirby.
Kirby DOES NOT deserve more reps just because Sakurai made him. That's just stupid, illogical thinking. So what if Sakurai made Smash? Kirby characters aren't Smash characters. I suppose we need 3 Pikmin reps since Miyamoto made that and he also made Super Mario Brothers.
There is not point in adding a character(s) just to be equal to another franchise when it comes to how many reps they've gotten. Can someone please inform me of the characters after Samus and Ridely are as notable and as important as they are that warrant a playable spot? I expect DK to get another rep as well, but should Sakurai add a bunch of other Kongs just to be equal with Mario or Pokemon?

There is absolutely no reason to add another Pikmin character besides Olimar who else is as important as he is?

All of the recent Kirby additions were not of minor character additions they were very important to the overall series.

I forget that one quote I heard it went something like
minor characters from a popular franchise<important characters from a minor franchise eh that's not right w/e

-Knight

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Anyway, the reason I quoted this post wasn't just because I agree with K.Knight's opinion. There were many others whose opinions I agreed with. What caught my attention is when he said Kirby Superstars inspired SSB. How?
There are many many things thing in smash that have been taken from Kirby's Superstar, however due to the fact I haven't played it in so long many things are a bit blurry. Off the top of my head I can think of.

• The Bubble shields, they were used in KSS in order to protect you from attacks and depending on what power you had some even had reflective properties.
  • Master Hand, it's is clearly based off this one boss (He had a face in the background and attacked you with hands made of stone. The attacks they he used match exactly with the ones the Master hand users.
If I get the chance to play KSS today I will update this list further on the similarities between the two.

-Knight

Betaz

Smash Ace
Can someone please inform me of the characters after Samus and Ridely
are as notable and as important as they are that warrant a playable spot?
Dark Samus(though i'm expecting it to be an alt costume) and Sylux(sort of no one is completely sure of him see spoiler below)
have appeared in two of the metroid games so far... however so has Mother Brain and Kraid but they would be way too awkward to appear in a smash game.

it is beleived that at the end of MP3:Corruption after a 100% ending Sylux's ship can be seen

Topaz989

Smash Cadet
There are many many things thing in smash that have been taken from Kirby's Superstar, however due to the fact I haven't played it in so long many things are a bit blurry. Off the top of my head I can think of.

• The Bubble shields, they were used in KSS in order to protect you from attacks and depending on what power you had some even had reflective properties.
  • Master Hand, it's is clearly based off this one boss (He had a face in the background and attacked you with hands made of stone. The attacks they he used match exactly with the ones the Master hand users.
If I get the chance to play KSS today I will update this list further on the similarities between the two.

-Knight
Are you trying to say the game should've been called "Kirby Super Star guess starring a bunch of other Nintendo characters"?

sfox8

Smash Journeyman

How is 3 characters from the Kirby series excessive in any way? And I'd hardly call Kirby a "minor" series. He included all three of the main characters from the series. It's not like he's going to suddenly bombard us with 5 more Kirby characters. There's no one left that is important enough.

It's sickening that people are acting like they somehow know the final roster. I don't think anyone has a right to be complaining about how much there is of a certain series until they know for sure what the final roster looks like. And none of you do.

We could have said the same thing about the Mario and pokemon characters for the past two games. Don't be bitter just because Sakurai decided to announce the rest of his characters. He didn't even announce them all at once. This is the first time he's actually officially REVEALED any character from the Kirby series. Both Kirby and Meta Knight were shown in the E3 video.

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
if you're going to make such absolute statements of "facts" i suggest you present something supporting that if you want me to consider your arguement. how does the kirby anime not follow the same rules?

i already said the character's role changing has nothing to do with the character itself changing. evil dedede is the same concept as good dedede, just with his role switched to support a different story.

i don't think you quite get it. comparing the quality of two franchises has absolutely zero to do with whether or not you can base the fantasy of one franchise on the fantasy of the next and say just because something is one way in one franchise means it's the same in the next.

given your apparent problem with grasping the concept of an arguement i'm not sure this is going to go anywhere.

and your last comment is supporting my arguement.. i'm saying kirby and meta knight are the same species.
I miss read about the species, in that I do agree with you. Now about the Kirby Anime, what is this about some Company, that sell villians do Dedede? If I remember correctly, that never happened in the game. And lets not forget the Texan Foghorn Leghorn accent that Dedede has, I don't think Sakurai would think of him like an Oil Baron.

Again, it is like comparing Sonic games, to Sonic X. they have similaritys, but at the same time, they alter and charge both the story and the characters to fit the Anime better.

You seem to see be comparing them directly together, however, I am comparing the diffrance from the Original Game, to the Anime. Similure, however, not the same.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
which is the same as kirby.

just look!! if that's not a blue Kirby, i don't know what is.
Awesome! So that's what metaknight looks like without the mask... It's funny how he looks like kirby but sounds completely different

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Are you trying to say the game should've been called "Kirby Super Star guess starring a bunch of other Nintendo characters"?
Are you telling me that SSB shares no similarities with KSS what so ever? Anyone who had played Kirby Super Star and Super Smash Brothers knows that they share many things in common. I'm not "trying" to say that the game should have been called Kirby Super Star plus other Nintendo characters, but if your going to look me in the eye and say that they share no similarities......

-Knight

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
Awesome! So that's what metaknight looks like without the mask... It's funny how he looks like kirby but sounds completely different
Kirby: bah?
Meta-Knight: My Victory... was Fated.

Would that make Kirby just some toddler that can destoy armys?? I know kids are evil but this...

I doubt Sakurai knows or cares what Dedede's voice was in the dub.
Actualy from reading to wiki, it sounds like he did, but I could be missinterpreting it.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Yeah, no reason to complain. 3 characters from such a longstanding franchise isn't too much.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Haven't read all of the thread.

Melee: Kirby franchise was under repped. That has been addressed.

Now, the F Zero and Metroid franchises also deserve better representation.

Metroid - add Ridley. F Zero - add another racer, most probably an antagonist (Deathborne / Black Shadow)

I also believe the DK franchise is still underrepped and should have a third PC ~ King K.Rool

I probably ignored other franchises that deserve better attention.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
Kirby: bah?
Meta-Knight: My Victory... was Fated.

Would that make Kirby just some toddler that can destoy armys?? I know kids are evil but this...

Actualy from reading to wiki, it sounds like he did, but I could be missinterpreting it.
i dunno man, but i remember in squeak squad his whole adventure was just from trying to get his strawberry shortcake or sumthin back. sounds pretty childish to me

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
And lets not forget the Texan Foghorn Leghorn accent that Dedede has, I don't think Sakurai would think of him like an Oil Baron.
The irony of his oil baron voice is of course the incalculable eco-footprint that Mt. Dedede has had on the world, and the absolute destruction of his former arctic home from global warming. With all of the loved ones he held dear gone, he decided to stuff his fat face to death from the guilt and ruin the lives of the denizens of Dreamland.

Kirby's Dreamland is truly the greatest tragedy of the videogaming. One popstar's attempt to save an already dying world...

Also... Dedede's a child molester, look at his Santa garb and his desire to swallow everyone.

Top Bottom