• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to much "Kirby"?

Best101

Smash Ace
Not at all... Dedede NEEDS to be in Brawl. Three characters is not too much representation... And no, the Sonic franchise won't get any more representatives... Diddy and Donkey Kong are enough for the DK franchise.
He doesn't need to be lol. You just wanted him very badly :laugh:

JEBesh

Smash Cadet
I miss read about the species, in that I do agree with you. Now about the Kirby Anime, what is this about some Company, that sell villians do Dedede? If I remember correctly, that never happened in the game. And lets not forget the Texan Foghorn Leghorn accent that Dedede has, I don't think Sakurai would think of him like an Oil Baron.

Again, it is like comparing Sonic games, to Sonic X. they have similaritys, but at the same time, they alter and charge both the story and the characters to fit the Anime better.

You seem to see be comparing them directly together, however, I am comparing the diffrance from the Original Game, to the Anime. Similure, however, not the same.
*sigh*

i already said the character's role changing has nothing to do with the character itself changing. evil dedede is the same concept as good dedede, just with his role switched to support a different story.
given your apparent problem with grasping the concept of an arguement i'm not sure this is going to go anywhere.
read carefully this time.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
What you're saying, JEBesh, makes no sense. If two characters look the same but their role and personality varies, then they can't be the same character. A key example would be Link, he's a different Link in almost all of his games, most notably Wind Waker.

People try to put words in Sakurais mouth and say that the Pokemon Trainer is Red, or Ash. No, he's neither, he's the Pokemon Trainer in Red's clothes.

Character's differ, you can't throw anything from anime into the videogames character and expect it to be canon, like you're doing with Meta Knight being a star warrior. Wind Waker Link never stabbed Ganondorf in the stomach, Twilight Princess Link never stabbed Ganondorf in the head.

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*

read carefully this time.
What you're saying, JEBesh, makes no sense. If two characters look the same but their role and personality varies, then they can't be the same character. A key example would be Link, he's a different Link in almost all of his games, most notably Wind Waker.

People try to put words in Sakurais mouth and say that the Pokemon Trainer is Red, or Ash. No, he's neither, he's the Pokemon Trainer in Red's clothes.

Character's differ, you can't throw anything from anime into the videogames character and expect it to be canon, like you're doing with Meta Knight being a star warrior. Wind Waker Link never stabbed Ganondorf in the stomach, Twilight Princess Link never stabbed Ganondorf in the head.
JEBesh, I have to agree with Kittah again.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wouldn't we name it Mario Pokemon Zelda: Cashcow than? And wasent Kirby blugened with the Nerf Stick in the last game, I doupt that they would make his a super character. And also saying that HE is the main character, well, I don't think a game like this can even HAVE a main character, seeing that you switch from character to character quickly.
Your inability to see that i was blatantly kidding baffles me. Either that or it is this forum's effect on you.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
It is truth in this world that money talks. Therefore, I'm going to show the ratio of character for every million copies of games in that series sold (note: Wario is counted with Mario, but not DK). Technically, the lower the number million copies sold per character, the more "overrepresented" a series is.

Mario Series (193 million copies, 5 characters, with a sixth, Luigi, leaked): 1 character for every 32 million copies sold

Pokemon (155 million copies sold, 4 characters already confirmed, since I'm counting each of the PT's pokemon): 1 character for ever 38 million copies sold

Zelda (52 Million copies sold, 2 characters officially so far): 1 character for every 26 million copies. If Zelda can turn into sheik, making it 3 character, it's 1 character for every 17 million sold. If Gannon also makes it, it's 1 character for every 13 million sold.

Donkey Kong (48 million copies sold, 2 characters so far): 1 character for every 24 million copies.

Kirby (30 million copies sold, 3 characters so far): 1 character for every 10 million copies sold.

Metroid (13 million copies sold, 1 character so far, 2 characters if you count Zero-Suit, which I will): 1 character for every 6.5 million copies sold

Sadly, I couldn't find good sales stats for Star Fox, Mother, Kid Icarus, Ice Climbers and the other games. I didn't include the third parties, since they're stats would be skewed by the fact they have only been on Nintendo consoles for intermittent amounts of time.

So, by this ranking, POKEMON and MARIO are the two least represented franchises, and KIRBY and METROID are the two most over-represented franchises. I know these stats will get me flamed (puts up shield), but I just thought that, given the fact that the number one goal of a video game is to MAKE MONEY (all the innovation, fun value, playability and general entertainment is only to reach that goal), that this could be a good way to look at it.

I don't agree with these ratings, by the way, as they favor older franchises (Mario) and franchises that crossed into the mainstream for periods of time (Pokemon).

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
It is truth in this world that money talks. Therefore, I'm going to show the ratio of character for every million copies of games in that series sold (note: Wario is counted with Mario, but not DK). Technically, the lower the number million copies sold per character, the more "overrepresented" a series is.

Mario Series (193 million copies, 5 characters, with a sixth, Luigi, leaked): 1 character for every 32 million copies sold

Pokemon (155 million copies sold, 4 characters already confirmed, since I'm counting each of the PT's pokemon): 1 character for ever 38 million copies sold

Zelda (52 Million copies sold, 2 characters officially so far): 1 character for every 26 million copies. If Zelda can turn into sheik, making it 3 character, it's 1 character for every 17 million sold. If Gannon also makes it, it's 1 character for every 13 million sold.

Donkey Kong (48 million copies sold, 2 characters so far): 1 character for every 24 million copies.

Kirby (30 million copies sold, 3 characters so far): 1 character for every 10 million copies sold.

Metroid (13 million copies sold, 1 character so far, 2 characters if you count Zero-Suit, which I will): 1 character for every 6.5 million copies sold

Sadly, I couldn't find good sales stats for Star Fox, Mother, Kid Icarus, Ice Climbers and the other games. I didn't include the third parties, since they're stats would be skewed by the fact they have only been on Nintendo consoles for intermittent amounts of time.

So, by this ranking, POKEMON and MARIO are the two least represented franchises, and KIRBY and METROID are the two most over-represented franchises. I know these stats will get me flamed (puts up shield), but I just thought that, given the fact that the number one goal of a video game is to MAKE MONEY (all the innovation, fun value, playability and general entertainment is only to reach that goal), that this could be a good way to look at it.

I don't agree with these ratings, by the way, as they favor older franchises (Mario) and franchises that crossed into the mainstream for periods of time (Pokemon).
...............................um..........................uh........................ya.....................................what he said...................

No seriously, I agree.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
To discuss to the topic creator.

IMO, no they didn't over due the Kirby series at all. In the Original Smash Bros. every series except Mario and Pokemon got 1 rep. Melee, Kirby stuck with 1 rep while many series gained a rep. It's about time Kirby series got more reps. Also I'm tired of people always mentioning 'there are more worthy series'. Well first of all, we don't know the final roster. You do remember this is a fan service game? Many of the new characters were some of the top choices on the Japanese Poll back in 2006.

So what if we get a 2 new Kirby Characters on the Dojo site before other characters? More characters will be revealed. Also more deserving series? I'm tired of hearing this when the series are never declared. :O

EDIT: Also the sales thing as a user above me stated

Brawl Melee 64

Smash Cadet
Too much Kirby? Or not enough? >_>
I mean, look at the Mario franchise, they got Mario, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, DK, Diddy Kong, (probably Luigi) and Wario. At first glance, someone who doesnt know what Smash is might think its a Mario Fighting Game. Im a big fan of the Kirby franchise though, and I was glad to see Meta Knight and I always wanted Dedede

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yes, because we've totally seen the full final roster to be able to say that the other franchises have been underrepresented.
/thread

Seriously, why do people complain about more characters? Isn't that what we want? "wahh too much pokemon", "wahh too much mario". Now we've got too much kirby?

I wish captain falcon was real so he could punch you in your ovaries.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
/thread

Seriously, why do people complain about more characters? Isn't that what we want? "wahh too much pokemon", "wahh too much mario". Now we've got too much kirby?

I wish captain falcon was real so he could punch me in my ovaries, and get pregnant. Naked.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
no sonic is not big mario has alot of reps and dk is mario spinoff game.
Donkey Kong had his own game before Mario did (the DK arcade game). Mario didn't even have his name back then; he was known as Jumpman. Mario became a staple in Nintendo afterwards, and Donkey Kong starred in his own game on the SNES in, what was it, 1989? 1990? I dunno.. but he was brought back from the arcade, not as a spinoff of a Mario game.

As a side note, the landlord of the Nintendo HQ in New York (I think it was NY) was named Mario, and bared a striking resemblance to Jumpman, which is why he has that name.

BUT.. as for "too much Kirby", no. Mario has four so far, right? If Luigi comes back it'll be five, and who knows beyond that. Pokemon also has four so far. Three characters is not over doing it for one series.

If anything they should up the roster for other games. F-Zero has one rep (if Cpt. Falcon comes back, but I don't think the odds are great of this not happening), with the Gorro AT as a sticky note of a second. Although, with F-Zero, those are really the only two "iconic" characters of the series. *shrug*

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We should add Marx as a 4th Kirby character!!!!

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
/thread

Win. /thread

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Meh, you should never assign a static number to how many characters should be in per series. Not all series are the same, so it should vary.

Personally, I think every world should get their main character, main "ally", and main "villain" when possible. After that you can decide whether it should get more love due to popularity of characters/series itself.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Meh, you should never assign a static number to how many characters should be in per series. Not all series are the same, so it should vary.

Personally, I think every world should get their main character, main "ally", and main "villain" when possible. After that you can decide whether it should get more love due to popularity of characters/series itself.
I like that.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
meta knight was fine but now Dedede? Im not upset about those characters but there are other franchises that are bigger with less representation (Metroid, DK, Sonic...). Does anyone else agree?
Not really. Only on the metroid point.

DK is ok but really Dk and Diddy are plenty. ANd sonic is third party. And truth is Sonic alone is more than that series deserves. His games almost all sucked since the dreamcast. It's not like it will get more either i'm pretty sure thats it for kirby

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Sonic & The Secret Rings was pretty good.

And I find it incredibly odd that someone would actually complain about "too many Kirby characters". These are the same people that probably want characters like Tifa Lockhart, and feel like even the slightest thing "threatens" a character's chances of getting in.

Top Bottom