• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I really, really need a crash course in not being a total coward by constantly camping in midair. Problem is, whenever I let up the camp for even a moment and actually try to attack, I get zero-to-death'd.
There's nothing cheap about being campy. If your character is even capable of being campy then use that to your advantage because that's the way the character is designed to play. Camp away my friend!

When I first got the game I only had a 40% win rate. I was trying to main DK because that's who I used in brawl. I haven't checked my win rate recently but it's much better since switching my main to Pit and focusing on mastering him by reading, watching videos, and applying it in FG. Also saving replays and analyzing your play helps a lot too. Some days are fun and I win almost every game, and some days I lose and feel like taking a long break from Smash. But so far, I still find playing FG to be really fun.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
There's nothing cheap about being campy. If your character is even capable of being campy then use that to your advantage because that's the way the character is designed to play. Camp away my friend!

When I first got the game I only had a 40% win rate. I was trying to main DK because that's who I used in brawl. I haven't checked my win rate recently but it's much better since switching my main to Pit and focusing on mastering him by reading, watching videos, and applying it in FG. Also saving replays and analyzing your play helps a lot too. Some days are fun and I win almost every game, and some days I lose and feel like taking a long break from Smash. But so far, I still find playing FG to be really fun.
It is true that there is nothing cheap about being campy,but if you have a campy play style with a character just because you see other play them that way, then you need to experiment different ways of playing and you might find a better way to use them. Link is an example of a character who is usually played with a campy play style,but he is much more effective when you actually decide to use his close range sword moves that are not his smash attacks. If you play campy just because you are can't play well unless you camp, then you need to get good at not being campy or else you will find yourself having trouble dealing with a character like Falcon or Fox who can get close and do a lot of damage quickly. @ Saikyoshi Saikyoshi assuming you are talking about Yoshi since you seem to main him, you should really work on finding an opportunity to attack your opponent, because even though I don't really know anything about Yoshi in this game he does not seem to have any tools for playing campy, besides up b. Yoshi has way more tools to be effective playing aggressively with him.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It is true that there is nothing cheap about being campy,but if you have a campy play style with a character just because you see other play them that way, then you need to experiment different ways of playing and you might find a better way to use them. Link is an example of a character who is usually played with a campy play style,but he is much more effective when you actually decide to use his close range sword moves that are not his smash attacks. If you play campy just because you are can't play well unless you camp, then you need to get good at not being campy or else you will find yourself having trouble dealing with a character like Falcon or Fox who can get close and do a lot of damage quickly. @ Saikyoshi Saikyoshi assuming you are talking about Yoshi since you seem to main him, you should really work on finding an opportunity to attack your opponent, because even though I don't really know anything about Yoshi in this game he does not seem to have any tools for playing campy, besides up b. Yoshi has way more tools to be effective playing aggressively with him.
Therein lies the problem, though. Captain Falcon is the new Little Mac in terms of frequency. I don't have an opportunity to attack before that first dash grab -> perfect knee or Uair -> KO.

How am I supposed to be aggressive when I have a knife against a machine gun?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Therein lies the problem, though. Captain Falcon is the new Little Mac in terms of frequency. I don't have an opportunity to attack before that first dash grab -> perfect knee or Uair -> KO.

If he tries to run up and grab you then what you should do is hit him or maybe even surprise him by running up and grabbing him before he grabs you (might not work though). You should ask people from your boards and the falcon boards to tell you how to fight him. Definitely try to keep him away from you,but when he even begins to get even a little close to you prepare to punish him. Don't necessarily camp him,but if you see him trying to get close then throw one or two eggs at him. When it comes to fighting against an aggressive play style, maybe you shouldn't really play aggressive, but get him to leave himself open by getting him to whiff an attack(which shouldn't be too difficult against Falcon) and then go for big damage.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I seem to have hit a complete wall with G&W lately. I got matched up with a very, very good Sheik and promptly got leveled which led to a downward spiral of losing the next 15 in a row. I didn't win until I switched to Olimar and I can't figure out what happened.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727

When fighting Captain falcon as someone with no/limited ranged abilities, you'll want to be defensive on the ground and aggressive in the air. Since his gameplan is mostly going for grapples and the followups to them, you shut down his grab you shut down his game. Jabs will almost always beat out a grab, so keep yourself planted and be ready to upset his approach. Once you've shut down his grab, finish your jab combo or go for something that gets him juggled. Then be aggressive. Captain Falcon in my experience is a fast paced spectacle brawler, meaning he want you to feel overwhelmed with his speed and showmanship. Stay calm, use moves that come out fast to shut down his approaches and you'll have him uncomfortable in no time.

I seem to have hit a complete wall with G&W lately. I got matched up with a very, very good Sheik and promptly got leveled which led to a downward spiral of losing the next 15 in a row. I didn't win until I switched to Olimar and I can't figure out what happened.
Two things will help. Get a recording of your fights to the Game & Watch video critique thread for some advice on improving your game, and (or if not possible, instead) watch your fights using the replay function a few days later as a spectator. You'll have a fresh mindset, and can focus on things you wouldn't normal know to look for that way. Best way to have a personal breakthrough without needing to learn while under extreme pressure.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I have the opposite, I get paired up against noobs a lot which I then often proceed to 2-stock with the greatest of ease.
Noobs on FG 1v1 are boring.

Last edited:

masterrobin

Smash Rookie
NNID
kronaxmaster
Switch FC
SW 2962 1993 0304
I have a 35% win rate on wii U and 42% on 3DS. My only reallly large glaring problem is that I can't read people very well... is there really a way to get better at that. I have been playing smash since the original and I started to try to get competitive about a year ago and I still can't seem to get any better at it. Help?!

1FC0

Smash Lord
I have a 35% win rate on wii U and 42% on 3DS. My only reallly large glaring problem is that I can't read people very well... is there really a way to get better at that. I have been playing smash since the original and I started to try to get competitive about a year ago and I still can't seem to get any better at it. Help?!
You need to play good people to get good. If you just want to get good and do not care about win/lose ratio, then you should to play people who are better than you.

Maybe you should make a replay of a match where you played at your best against a better opponent and where you got owned and post in in the character boards of the character that you used and ask for advice. Many boards have a video secion that you could probably use for this.

helmzboi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helmy
But I like Rosa, and I don't get loads of wins with her. I don't think she's as OP as everyone thinks. Rushdown characters (Yoshi, Bowser, Mac, Sonic, Greninja) are a pain with her. I'm proud of all my wins #BibleThump

I keep wondering how other ZSS players land her grab so much. I can rarely land a grab because everyone's too busy rolling around the stage the entire time. It's rare that I do land a grab with ZSS.
you have to use paralyzer first or short hop nair to confirm into grab

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
My only frustration is when I lose those close 1v1's due to some error (wrong button press, lag, etc.)

I have played a decent amount of For Glory and by all means when I make a mistake and I know why, I don't feel bad since I know how it led up to that mistake.

But whenever I lose those close 1v1's I just get frustrated and start to make up excuses to myself on why this guy won (I guess I've been very salty lately :dizzy:) but after all these close games, I strive to improve and realize my mistakes. My anger hardly comes up nowadays but eventually you'll hear me complain every now and then.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
While I don't think I suck, I DO think that For Glory is becoming progressively more frustrating and less fun. Most of my matches devolve into a game of cat and mouse (roll spammers), and I'm constantly being forced to change my style because a lot of people just decide to play super defensive and campy. Just today I fought like 5 people who decided to chill at the ledge and wait for me to approach, meaning I had to keep pressuring them to come out of their little hole just so I can punish them. Even if I walked to the other side, they wouldn't budge. It's boring, it happens ALL the time, and it's definitely making me reconsider playing For Glory. It's not helping me improve at all. Just my two cents.

Menk

Smash Cadet
I've played something like 500 matches on the 3ds for glory, and recently started playing just on the wii u. For some reason I get much better players on wii u than 3ds even though my win rate is much worse. I don't know how people can have such good movement online, I just got destroyed by a sheik who could do tons of aerial approaches and combos and space fine, which feels like a nightmare online. I have no problem with movement in any other game, hell I play melee, but moving how i want online feels like playing with my feet.

1FC0

Smash Lord
While I don't think I suck, I DO think that For Glory is becoming progressively more frustrating and less fun. Most of my matches devolve into a game of cat and mouse (roll spammers), and I'm constantly being forced to change my style because a lot of people just decide to play super defensive and campy. Just today I fought like 5 people who decided to chill at the ledge and wait for me to approach, meaning I had to keep pressuring them to come out of their little hole just so I can punish them. Even if I walked to the other side, they wouldn't budge. It's boring, it happens ALL the time, and it's definitely making me reconsider playing For Glory. It's not helping me improve at all. Just my two cents.
If they beat you then they probably can help you improve.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Here's the thing, I'm beating them almost all the time. Hence the "I'm not improving from doing this" part.
Playing noobs can be pretty boring I agree.

I think that some of the most boring noobs are the ones that seem to seek the silver Smash bullet, the one trick that beats everything in the game. Some try roll spamming, some spam PK Fire, some keep using Kirby's Bv. But they all get owned big time. There simply is no silver bullet in Smash except skill and unpredictability. And MK's B if you play SSBB (J/K but it comes pretty close).

AreJay25

Playing noobs can be pretty boring I agree.

I think that some of the most boring noobs are the ones that seem to seek the silver Smash bullet, the one trick that beats everything in the game. Some try roll spamming, some spam PK Fire, some keep using Kirby's Bv. But they all get owned big time. There simply is no silver bullet in Smash except skill and unpredictability. And MK's B if you play SSBB (J/K but it comes pretty close).
I played a little bit of Brawl but I'm well aware of Tornado shenanigans lol.
And yeah, it's just boring fighting noobs, even if they get destroyed. Doesn't help that most play like a flowchart.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I still have lots of fun in FG, but I feel like my wins against noobs are more constant than against better players. I also rage a lot against Mac, even if I know his attacks, what is doing... I simply can't! How to pass through this?!

AreJay25

I still have lots of fun in FG, but I feel like my wins against noobs are more constant than against better players. I also rage a lot against Mac, even if I know his attacks, what is doing... I simply can't! How to pass through this?!
Mac is annoying but he's not too bad if you just play patient. You can literally just shield most of his attacks and punish since his grab doesn't really provide much of a threat. Just bait out his moves and go from there.

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
My win rate rests at 20%. Sometimes, my losses are due to people constantly rolling and my inability to punish, sometimes it's severe input lag, sometimes I get destroyed when I can't even land a hit on the opponent because they're too good. I try to keep the "No Johns" phrase in mind each game but the more I remind myself, the more frustrated I become and after a few games of this I just shut off the console or play a different game. It's because of this, I've been on and off with Smash and the competitive scene in general. I really can't get too upset since 1. It IS a game and 2. I'm responsible for my own skill. It's just disheartening to lose 7 times consecutively and enjoy the game after that. Especially when similar scenarios happen each FG session.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I recently got a 70+% win ratio! It took me months to work it up from around 30%. And I did it using King Dedede and Ness primarily. I'm pretty content.

I'm excited to see Mewtwo implemented in a few days so I can face a whole new character and super hyped for Lucas' return, as he was my Brawl main. I'm definitly gonna have fun in For Glory in the future!

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I've had not the worst, but the weirdest day in 3DSFG. My attacks did not kill, not even at highest percents!!!?? But my opponent's did kill at like, 80%, 60%... their strongest attacks. But Kirby's strongest ones would not kill, and I never get mad at Smash, but this made me playing worse at each match, and I know my opponent is better than me, but that's seriously grinding my gears. I also feel like my opponent is joking at my face, rolling back with any approach. Sakurai, roll nerf plz.

End of rant

Shakes

Smash Rookie
I have been sitting at an uncomfortable 40% for a while now. I'm convinced that this game can't be good for my health. I feel like trash after a couple hours of continuous FG beatings.
I really hate to blame lag for losses, even though I know I play better without it, so that leaves me believe that each loss is due to poor planning, predictability, and reaction time. I steel myself to grit it out and press on and on even after 20 losses in a row, to the same guy no less! I've probably contributed thousands of %s to other peoples ratios at this point!

I want to get better, I really do, but sometimes I feel like losing for hours end does nothing more than make me wish I hadn't played smash at all that night. Winning is also soured when I realize that is makes super happy because of its rarity. I know I invest too much of myself into fights, I take it very personally and sink emotionally low after particularly humiliating defeats. But you know what? I won't let myself quit, I just won't. Something still tells me that after several thousand losses, I might finally adapt and prevail. I just. Can't. Quit.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I agree the Link arrow spam with bombs and boomerang is to much...expecially because i main Ganon and DK who cant deal with projectiles...

And PK fire...its only gonna get worse when Lucas comes...they are already so many Ness players...

Dont like Fox and Falco is ok
..but never liked em....cant wait for Wolf though i might have to main Wolf to counter the projectile spam mode that is For Glory...

I know what you lot mean...i win most of my games as Ganondorf and DK but as soon as i face someone who is a half good Greninija or ZSS/Ness/Sheik/Yoshi/Sonic

I get Wrecked...
Im think of picking up Bowser but although he is the best in this smash than he has ever been i dont like the way he feels....same reason why i dont play Samus anymore....but Samus sucked since brawl but yh....

And although i love Wario i also have the same problem with him....i dont like how he feels/plays...
I only play as heavyweights..

Charizard sucks imo
I hate fire emblem so that is a NO to Ike...
And i cant play as DDD because that is my brother's main
Although imo he is clearly the best heavyweight in the game.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I have been sitting at an uncomfortable 40% for a while now. I'm convinced that this game can't be good for my health. I feel like trash after a couple hours of continuous FG beatings.
I really hate to blame lag for losses, even though I know I play better without it, so that leaves me believe that each loss is due to poor planning, predictability, and reaction time. I steel myself to grit it out and press on and on even after 20 losses in a row, to the same guy no less! I've probably contributed thousands of %s to other peoples ratios at this point!

I want to get better, I really do, but sometimes I feel like losing for hours end does nothing more than make me wish I hadn't played smash at all that night. Winning is also soured when I realize that is makes super happy because of its rarity. I know I invest too much of myself into fights, I take it very personally and sink emotionally low after particularly humiliating defeats. But you know what? I won't let myself quit, I just won't. Something still tells me that after several thousand losses, I might finally adapt and prevail. I just. Can't. Quit.
Don't get mad.... Feeling like that really sucks, but your Win/Loss Ratio is nothing more than a number. A. Number. Seriously, if you are still losing it's because you are too worried about how are you doing. Care about the game, but start to play less tired. I know that feel, bro. I remember that I used to lose very often in For Glory... Then I just stopped caring. I was going to see what I've done wrong and was starting to feel refreshed at each game. I still have some hard times (I has 9 losses in a row yesterday. Nine), but I know I ain't get better feeling bad. Then, in those dark times I had many, many matches with a guy called Bode (are you here, Bode? I'm José!). He was camping, and spamming, just repeating the same, same, samey attacks. I was blaming him time after time... then I started to see how he played. Man, how many free wins I could get! I saw a light at the end of the tunnel... I remember to this day our last match... I finally got him as Falcon (he was Luigi in the beginning, and Lucina on the lastest matches), and knee'd him (accidentaly!!! I was going to make a combo, but my fingers have mistaken up with forward)... He was keeping this thing. I had one-stock and had over 100% damage... he was still getting me with Counter and Shield Breaker... A miracle happened. I crouched, Falcon Kicked to the edge, and jumped pretty deeply... I recovered, jumped at his face and Falcon Punched him.... The moment the match ended, he rage quitted. I could think about his face at that moment!!! I was a new player. "Not getting mad anymore, not stopping with my dear Smash!!! I will get better and better and fight with many other players, and even if I am at another lose streak, I will try to get better instead of blaming lag or other stuff!" . Now, I have a Win Rate of 48,49%, not even half, but my victories are more constant than they ever were.
I hope you get inspired by this! :)

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
My experience in FG(in the past month)

:4mewtwo:- ShadowballShadowballDisableUpsmash
:4jigglypuff:-:GCR::GCB:
:rosalina:- :GCA::GCZ::GCD:forward air. If luma is ded roll around the stage for the next 30 seconds.
:4duckhunt:- :GCCR:
:4villager:-Plant tree, sit there until I get near. Cut down tree.
:4diddy:- No.
:4gaw:-Up Smash for the next 6 minutes

We should change the name of FG to "For Spam"

Shakes

Smash Rookie
Don't get mad.... Feeling like that really sucks, but your Win/Loss Ratio is nothing more than a number. A. Number. Seriously, if you are still losing it's because you are too worried about how are you doing. Care about the game, but start to play less tired. I know that feel, bro. I remember that I used to lose very often in For Glory... Then I just stopped caring. I was going to see what I've done wrong and was starting to feel refreshed at each game. I still have some hard times (I has 9 losses in a row yesterday. Nine), but I know I ain't get better feeling bad. Then, in those dark times I had many, many matches with a guy called Bode (are you here, Bode? I'm José!). He was camping, and spamming, just repeating the same, same, samey attacks. I was blaming him time after time... then I started to see how he played. Man, how many free wins I could get! I saw a light at the end of the tunnel... I remember to this day our last match... I finally got him as Falcon (he was Luigi in the beginning, and Lucina on the lastest matches), and knee'd him (accidentaly!!! I was going to make a combo, but my fingers have mistaken up with forward)... He was keeping this thing. I had one-stock and had over 100% damage... he was still getting me with Counter and Shield Breaker... A miracle happened. I crouched, Falcon Kicked to the edge, and jumped pretty deeply... I recovered, jumped at his face and Falcon Punched him.... The moment the match ended, he rage quitted. I could think about his face at that moment!!! I was a new player. "Not getting mad anymore, not stopping with my dear Smash!!! I will get better and better and fight with many other players, and even if I am at another lose streak, I will try to get better instead of blaming lag or other stuff!" . Now, I have a Win Rate of 48,49%, not even half, but my victories are more constant than they ever were.
I hope you get inspired by this! :)
Thanks man, I see your point there, I have to stop letting a silly number haunt me! I'll admit, I definitely take things too personally while playing, one of the reasons I usually don't pick up fighting games. But Smash is too much fun (usually) to quit!

I'm gonna keep trying, W/L ratio aside. Just gotta stop letting the losses get to me, you know?

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
My win rate is about 40%.
When I get destroyed by someone I will usually keep fighting against them until they drop me. I use this opportunity to fight a way better player than me to practice my spacing, spot dodge, combos and mind games.

What frustrate me though is when those very good players starts taunting me and change their name to something insulting. I mean, why the need to make me feel bad for being weaker at smash than you? I'm still having fun against a better player as long as you don't make me feel I should end my life for being 2 stocked.

Another thing that frustrate me is whenever I fight someone weaker than me, and I feel confident enough to choose character I am not used to, and the guy finally have the upper hand in the match, taunts me, win and leave. I always imagine that guy leaving the room saying ''I sure showed him!!''

fatalfoxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
plushmunch
My win rate is about 40%.
When I get destroyed by someone I will usually keep fighting against them until they drop me. I use this opportunity to fight a way better player than me to practice my spacing, spot dodge, combos and mind games.

What frustrate me though is when those very good players starts taunting me and change their name to something insulting. I mean, why the need to make me feel bad for being weaker at smash than you? I'm still having fun against a better player as long as you don't make me feel I should end my life for being 2 stocked.

Another thing that frustrate me is whenever I fight someone weaker than me, and I feel confident enough to choose character I am not used to, and the guy finally have the upper hand in the match, taunts me, win and leave. I always imagine that guy leaving the room saying ''I sure showed him!!''
Well, what you just said exemplifies why online records don't really matter-you used a weaker char/play to get better. Most people play online for practice as well as the fact that internet/lag plays a role. As for the really rude players, a good chunk of smash players are kids...and well, kids are mean.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... I think I'm a lost cause. 2500 matches and I still can't beat the average little mac player. Tags used on me include "REKT" "IDIOT" DIE4RL" and "SWAG" all in one day. I know this sounds dumb, but I actually feel like I want to cry; I haven't learned a thing despite all the advice I've been given, videos I've watched, guides I've read and games I've played. Whenever I play a match, I'm so scared of losing I go blank. I absolutely NEED to have a talent in life - I have none whatsoever, and I want Smash to be the thing I'm good at. Something relevant and something I can show the world I'm good at. Nope. Not likely.

I still stare open-mouthed instead of reacting to things, I still go on the offense because the other player never does, I still don't react to things I know are coming, I still drop my shields early or randomly smash attack, I still attack people where they are instead of where they're going, I still lose to rolling/dodging spam, I still get defeated by EVER SINGLE Captain Falcon, Little Mac and suchlike I come across. And on Anther's too, I lose to people who openly admit they've only just picked up the game, despite my hours-upon-hours of practice. I have no main, a reputation for being awful - I was officially voted the world's worst player on one sordid forum - and people are getting sick of me asking for help.

Is it time to uninstall the game from my consoles? I feel like I'm an idiot who has only just realised they're an idiot, but I can't make myself quit. I'd rather have someone else tell me "You're hopeless, give up" instead of being nice and saying "Don't give up." Surely people like me, who were never any good and probably never will be, SHOULD give up?

Sorry to vent - I'm ready to admit I have an autistic side to me as well as horrid memory issues, so I just wanted to share the angst. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

MurderousJohnny

Smash Rookie
After reading some post it seems to me that people care a little to much about win ratio. Win ratio means absolutely nothing. Just last night my win ratio went from 72.?? to like 69 . something because I found a player who was much better then me and I went like over 20 games with him and only won like once. And this scenario has happened to me more than twice. Like atleast a third (probably more) of my losses are to people who are much better then me but I am too stubborn to just leave the room and quit since I'm trying to get better so I end up racking up large amounts of loses. When I find player who I am confident I am better than I leave after 5 games and when I find players who have obviously have no idea what they are doing I leave after 2 or 3 games. My point is if you are trying to get better your win ratio should be going down. If I wanted a win ratio in the 80 or maybe even 90's all I would have to do is farm easy wins and newer players , who are in abundance, and avoid players who I realizes are much better than me, which is easy to tell after 3-5 games. And once you you start to get thousands and thousand of games it becomes harder and harder to actually effect your win ratio. Any way I'm just saying forget about you win ratio and just play. It really means nothing because I can tell you right now If I wanted to Farm win ratio I feel pretty confident I could get to atleast 85-90 in like a week from now if all I cared about was increasing the number. That being said I am complete garbage at this game. Like barely mediocre and I could get it that high.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii... I think I'm a lost cause. 2500 matches and I still can't beat the average little mac player. Tags used on me include "REKT" "IDIOT" DIE4RL" and "SWAG" all in one day. I know this sounds dumb, but I actually feel like I want to cry; I haven't learned a thing despite all the advice I've been given, videos I've watched, guides I've read and games I've played. Whenever I play a match, I'm so scared of losing I go blank. I absolutely NEED to have a talent in life - I have none whatsoever, and I want Smash to be the thing I'm good at. Something relevant and something I can show the world I'm good at. Nope. Not likely.

I still stare open-mouthed instead of reacting to things, I still go on the offense because the other player never does, I still don't react to things I know are coming, I still drop my shields early or randomly smash attack, I still attack people where they are instead of where they're going, I still lose to rolling/dodging spam, I still get defeated by EVER SINGLE Captain Falcon, Little Mac and suchlike I come across. And on Anther's too, I lose to people who openly admit they've only just picked up the game, despite my hours-upon-hours of practice. I have no main, a reputation for being awful - I was officially voted the world's worst player on one sordid forum - and people are getting sick of me asking for help.

Is it time to uninstall the game from my consoles? I feel like I'm an idiot who has only just realised they're an idiot, but I can't make myself quit. I'd rather have someone else tell me "You're hopeless, give up" instead of being nice and saying "Don't give up." Surely people like me, who were never any good and probably never will be, SHOULD give up?

Sorry to vent - I'm ready to admit I have an autistic side to me as well as horrid memory issues, so I just wanted to share the angst. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Short version; if you love the game, then don't give up.

Long version, with some actual advice; I have an issue with rushdown characters, like Cap and Little Mac, but have been slowly overcoming my shortcomings with practice. What has helped me is changing how I practice. Here is something to try since you've been having a hard time with similar MUs. Make a list for Little Mac of what you believe your shortcomings are, example being "Can't punish rolling" or "Can't stop being grabbed". Once you've got this list, the next time you play take ONE item of this list and go "I'm going to focus on fixing this problem today." Then make a game plan you believe will help you, either from your experience or from advice given in the past. If you chose "Can't punish rolling", then your experience may say that to counter this you need to run farther than you currently expect before dash attacking/grabbing. Now with this game plan, focus on using this technique and don't worry about other 'issues' you think you have. The "Can't punish rolling" is something that can be practice with every character, so while you are playing pay attention for situations where the opponent is rolling a lot. (Like after hitting against your shield, or missing a Special) You can then focus on only fixing the one bad habit you have, and seeing immediate improvement. Then once you feel like you've got that down, the next session you play you can pick a different problem and work that down. Make sure to end your session for the day with the solving of one bad habit, so that you can give your brain time to process and let what you've learned sink in.

The reason I mention this is because it is impossible to remember all the things you need to improve on in the heat of battle. It is how the jaw-dropping, blank faced, "deer in headlights" moments happen, you see something bad coming and for the life of you can't think of what to do because you were focused on something else! If you narrow your mind to one 'specific' problem at a time, you are more likely to react properly to that issue and then start learning what works. You can get your muscle memory corrected, and your mental timings down so that you don't have to 'think' about the actual option anymore and can more think about what you will do next after this option works/doesn't. (Or what your opponent will do and how to counter.)

I'm a man with limited time to train a day, and so can only spare an hour on average a day to perfect my skills. Because of this I've had to analyze ideal ways to improve and not get discouraged without sinking in all my remaining free time 'power training' (Foresaking your life for a hobby, even one like Smash is a good way to make your existence hallowed!). I find this is the best way to see drastic improvements without being overwhelmed.

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942

I suck so bad, I don't even try to win! I stay away from FG because you never know which opponent with insult you, which is a bunch of **** anyway! My win ratio is like less than 5% 1v1 but I have only played like 25 matches, and lost all but maybe 2...? IDK. I mostly play with friends to "play". If you would like to have someone to practice your moves on, hit me up via private message. I won't insult you if you don't insult me! Oh, I have both WiiU and 3ds versions. I don't play much on the 3ds at all, so you will have even better luck! lol No really, if you just want to practice, but I am not very good.....at all!

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Daxter Daxter Letting you know, seeing flaws and wanting to improve them is the opposite of an 'idiot'. An inquisitive mind will see something that doesn't work and want to improve on it. What you're mentioning is a skill wall, and that you are having a hard time getting around it. That and you've been having bad luck with trolls lately. Besides what I mentioned earlier, try playing friendles with some smashboarders. The atmosphere will be better than random kid/bully/cretin you are getting lately on For Glory. Hit up the friend finder threads and jot down some NNID's and FC's to put into your system, and play with those people. @ Jinx129 Jinx129 has offered a helping hand, and I'm sure many others are up for a match as well. Use the message system here and get in touch with some people. You'd be surprised what a focused mind and a less stressful environment will do for both your learning ability and self-esteem.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206

Dude, I can relate to all of that. That's exactly how I felt about this game a few months ago. It was especially frustrating after coming from brawl, where I was just good enough to hold my own against some of the top players. At least somewhat.

But I've slowly been getting better, and it's not because I've been trying harder, It's not because i had some epic breakthrough that suddenly made everything I used to struggle against make sense, it's because I changed how I practice.

First, you have to realize that there are Four basic stages to learning.

There's Unconscious incompetence, Conscious incompetence, Conscious competence, and Unconscious competence.

The first stage is where you do not want to be. You haven't recognized where your shortcomings are, and in most cases, you would not be able to fix them even if you did.

Good News! is that this is not you. You just listed the things you're struggling against. You're already passed the first step!

The Second stage is where you curently are. You know there's a problem. You can't beat X, but you still don't know how to fix it.

The best thing you can do is to focus on your problems one at a time. Instead of saying "I wan't to beat captain falcon" start small and try to identify what it is about the character that's giving you trouble.

Maybe you always get dash grabbed.

Okay, so now you look at why you're getting dash grabbed.

Maybe you panic in your shield too often

So now you go into a match and you tell yourself. I'm not going to panic and hold shield!

If you still get dash grabbed a lot, look at what else you're doing that's causing it. Repeat the process until you no longer struggle with the dash grab.

Keep doing this for all the little things you struggle with, and you're certain to improve bit by bit. It's not a quick process! Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts to getting good at smash. You're going to lose. A lot. But once you start looking at those loses as opportunities to improve, you'll start to notice yourself getting better much faster than before!

Then, once you start winning, start analyzing those games!

"I won, I didn't get dash grabbed at all that game!"

Analyze what you did that won you the match, that's probably a good tool to add to your gameplay.

The third stage is a good one.

At this point you know what you struggle with, and you're able to overcome those things... albeit with a ton of focus.

I'm going to go ahead and say this. As you're focusing on improving one aspect of your gameplay. It's very likely that everything else you do is going to suck.

You'll miss space moves that you didn't use to miss space before, you'll accidentally SD, you'll do generally dumb things. Don't worry about that. You're focusing super hard on improving that one thing, you wont have as many mental resources to focus on everything else. Just keep at it until you no longer have to focus as hard on that one thing, and you'll finally be in the final stage!

Now you're at Unconsious Competence.

This is where you want to be! You don't struggle with that one thing anymore, and you instictively know how to beat it.

You'll barely even have to think about it anymore. If you think Falcon is going to dash grab you, you'll spotdodge, and punish with your quickest option.

Once you get here, it's time to start all over. Find something else you struggle with and start from Step 2.

If you don't know what else to focus on, that means you're in Step 1, and you should focus on finding something that you struggle with so you can start at step 2 and fix it.

:009:

And that's it! Just stay positive, and keep working on improving! I hope this helps you, and that it wasn't too confusing!

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
Short version; if you love the game, then don't give up.

Long version, with some actual advice; I have an issue with rushdown characters, like Cap and Little Mac, but have been slowly overcoming my shortcomings with practice. What has helped me is changing how I practice. Here is something to try since you've been having a hard time with similar MUs. Make a list for Little Mac of what you believe your shortcomings are, example being "Can't punish rolling" or "Can't stop being grabbed". Once you've got this list, the next time you play take ONE item of this list and go "I'm going to focus on fixing this problem today." Then make a game plan you believe will help you, either from your experience or from advice given in the past. If you chose "Can't punish rolling", then your experience may say that to counter this you need to run farther than you currently expect before dash attacking/grabbing. Now with this game plan, focus on using this technique and don't worry about other 'issues' you think you have. The "Can't punish rolling" is something that can be practice with every character, so while you are playing pay attention for situations where the opponent is rolling a lot. (Like after hitting against your shield, or missing a Special) You can then focus on only fixing the one bad habit you have, and seeing immediate improvement. Then once you feel like you've got that down, the next session you play you can pick a different problem and work that down. Make sure to end your session for the day with the solving of one bad habit, so that you can give your brain time to process and let what you've learned sink in.

The reason I mention this is because it is impossible to remember all the things you need to improve on in the heat of battle. It is how the jaw-dropping, blank faced, "deer in headlights" moments happen, you see something bad coming and for the life of you can't think of what to do because you were focused on something else! If you narrow your mind to one 'specific' problem at a time, you are more likely to react properly to that issue and then start learning what works. You can get your muscle memory corrected, and your mental timings down so that you don't have to 'think' about the actual option anymore and can more think about what you will do next after this option works/doesn't. (Or what your opponent will do and how to counter.)

I'm a man with limited time to train a day, and so can only spare an hour on average a day to perfect my skills. Because of this I've had to analyze ideal ways to improve and not get discouraged without sinking in all my remaining free time 'power training' (Foresaking your life for a hobby, even one like Smash is a good way to make your existence hallowed!). I find this is the best way to see drastic improvements without being overwhelmed.

Very thoughtful post!

When I started playing sm4sh, I was very roll-happy and developped the habit of rolling in answer to everY threats. I Was also over relying on smashes. Since one of my main is Bowser, those habits were very detrimental to my play. I focused my matches on using the shield without rolling, and then practice using tilts instead of smashes. It took some effort and a fair amount of teeth grinding to rewire my muscle memory and develop à New way of playing sm4sh, but the payoff was Huge. For me It opened the door for so many characters I used to dismiss as ''not for me'' and helped me discovered a New layer of depth to the game. This game always amaze me by all the thing you can do to get better at it.

Last edited:

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
I picked up and got used to spot-dodging quite reliably in Brawl and carried it over to Sm4sh....at first. Now I have noticed I have gotten into the habit of rolling....a lot! I think I do it to get that split second of time to think because I don't have vision or a plan. Yeah, well, it's not working out so well. Conscious incompetence sounds right!

Top Bottom