• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

Mystraker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mystraker
3DS FC
4613-9731-5544
Seeing the win rates of many people around here makes me feel even worse about my play, despite the hours upon hours I'm putting into this...

*sigh*

Mystraker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mystraker
3DS FC
4613-9731-5544
Lately for me, for glory has kind of been...How can i put it? Not fun, in fact I dare say it kind of has been demoralizing me from getting competitive at smash bros. Every for glory match goes like this, I always do my best and try hard to learn new things. But the enemy will always win through the cheapest tactics they can find, which is odd since not many can view your stats. I haven't had a good match against a random for glory player in a while. It had gotten so bad that I wanted to get to meet real players, who are out to better themselves with actual fair fighting.

For glory has done something very very bad to me, however. After I lose once, I get demoralized and I pretty much assume I'm doomed. I don't know what happened, but every for glory match feels like a test of my tolerance for the game now. I got bored of lone play, without my brother or many of my friends I had no one really to have "fun with." Aside from those I've met on the smash boards thus far, but I really REALLY get depressed, and start to hate myself. One loss turns into 2, those 2 turn into 3. And if I get a 4th, It is lucky If I pick the game up in less than a week. I don't know why this game takes all confidence I have in myself, but at this point I basically have only one thought in my head. "I'm the worst smash player imaginable." And I really, get bummed out not wanting to touch the game after that starts boiling in my brain. Because no matter what I do, no matter how hard I practice. I'll always have that one thought pestering me.

Some would say I'm a sore loser, some would say I just don't have the patience to memorize patterns from the enemies, and some can just shut their ****ing mouths for assumptions.
I want to be great at this game, especially with Fox, so badly. But I'm terrible at it, and I know how it feels to be totally bereft of confidence. It's actually pretty soul-crushing.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
i have around a 70% w/l on FG but it's simply not fun to play. Not only is it FD every time which is super boring, but then you get the spammers who abuse FD and then you get the **** talkers who think it's ok to give you **** about your race/gender and honestly it's just a toxic environment.
Because Battlefield/Smashville only like in tournaments wouldn't be boring, right? :p But yeah, For Glory is not fun at all, for too many reasons to list.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
For Glory would be fun......if you could actually win.

There are no scrubs in For Glory, just killers.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
hmm...well ill be honest, having a plethora of experience in both offline and online play, on both 3ds and wii u, i have to say while for glory is not the greatest, it does a good enough job of giving you plenty of different players to play against, and especially for the wii you, the lag is minimal (although for me, 5 frame input lag is still a lot). offline if you can do it, wii you for glory as a second, or casual practice or hand warmers, offline 3ds if you can find it, AVOID 3ds for glory unless you have no other option.
btw, its possible to win a lot, i have a 60% win ratio using little mac mostly on a 3ds.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I hate when people say For Glory is easy, and then they don't give advice. After months of matches, it's clear I can't teach myself to play this game - I'm only learning how to lose. I'm even losing amongst my friends who only play once in a while, and don't even remember to shield. I'm THAT awful!

Today I was up against a Dedede who only rolled and used D-Smash or F-Tilt. I lost time and time again. I had no idea how to punish them at all. Every time I thought I could, another shield/roll. I feel like everyone else has better defense options than me - when I try to copy them, the game doesn't let me shield/roll as fast as they could.

This is why I need a written, "for an idiot" guide to how to win. No videos - they drown my attention span, so boring! - and no friendly matches or "keep playing" nonsense - I will learn nothing by playing the same, stupid way I always have.

Last edited:

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Seems like you may need a break.

Also maybe try Training Mode? Have you learned your Main(s) in and out?
Do you know each and every one of their kill moves and the averages they kill at? On heavies? On floaties?
Do you know which of your moves have the highest priority?
Do you know what to do if someone camps against you?
Can you beat someone at a grab-dodge-grab game?
What's the best move(s) they have to nullify/kill an average to bad recovery?
How do you space with that character? How do you keep up pressure?
Do you know any combos, even basic ones? For instance, do you know which moves to lead into from which grabs?

These are all questions that if you can learn to answer, will help you grow tremendously.

Lastly, that is a hilarious signature image of my favorite Ace Attorney character. :3

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Do you know each and every one of their kill moves and the averages they kill at? On heavies? On floaties?
Yep. Most of this stuff I learn from reading the guides here, or from playing.

Do you know which of your moves have the highest priority?
I can never figure this out. I can't memorise numbers/details, or apply them in the heat of battle. Hell, I can barely remember to not get caught by Ganoncides.

Do you know what to do if someone camps against you?
Not at all. One of my most hurtful matches was against a Little Mac, who only crouch-spammed for 4 of the 5 FG minutes. When I gave up and approached him, he took both my stocks in less than 45 seconds. Likewise, Links/DHDuos who use projectiles and roll away will slaughter me. Only Robin is an easier match for me, and that's because I know most of his tricks from playing as him. I can't do the same when I play as anyone else.

Can you beat someone at a grab-dodge-grab game?
This is why I hate Captain Falcon. Like, the character I hate most in any video game already, but when I see him in Smash 4, he really gets my blood boiling. Some opponents have defeated me only by using grabs. For some reason, all my attempts to grab seem to miss, while opponents can grab me while jumping, dodging, or from what feels like the opposite side of the stage.

What's the best move(s) they have to nullify/kill an average to bad recovery?

For Robin, this is fairly easy for me to figure out. I may try some N-Airs, Elwind Spikes, short-hop Thorons. And yet, while I can hit most characters, I can't gimp the 2 famously gimpable characters, Little Mac and Captain Falcon. They always seem to dodge/outprioritise me.

How do you space with that character? How do you keep up pressure?

I try to mimic videos, or my opponents, when it comes to spacing, but it never seems to work; I always get grabbed and/or Smash attacked. Like I said, some games involve characters only using grabs/smashes and they still win. Especially if they're Shulk, Mario, Little Mac or Captain Falcon. Pressure is one of few things I've been praised for in previous games.I play far too aggressively for this game. My playstyle helps me greatly in Project M, but not in such a defensive game as Smash 4. And yet it's the only way I know how to play :(

Do you know any combos, even basic ones? For instance, do you know which moves to lead into from which grabs?

Again, for Robin this comes easily to me, assuming I can land the setup. Most other characters I play as either have no combos, or I go autopilot so often in my inpatience, I forget they exist.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
It sounds like you know what to do, and you feel comfortable with your character.

You mentioned you play really aggressively, and you also mentioned that people can and have won against you simply by grabbing. Being an aggressive player myself, I know these two have a big connection to each other, at least for me. My biggest weakness is tending to be too gung-ho about attacking that the player just shields and grabs me. As Villager has one of the worst grabs in game, I can't do it back very easily haha.

Captain Falcon, unfortunately, can grab (not really a grab but it feels like it) people in the air etc. but that's pretty rare for a character.

If you'd like, I'll play you and try to figure out what exactly you might be having a problem with. It'd be easier to tell that way.

RoboDragon

Smash Rookie
At least I now know I'm not the only one with bad FG experiences. I always go into FG with a good mindset, but come out of it in rage-filled anger and frustration, later to being depressed about how badly I suck at smash. The day before, I went on to tourney mode and thought "Ok, this time I'll try to learn as I play." First match, I lost. Ok, just a warmup. I do another 1v1 2 stock FG tourney, but I lose to my first falcon. I have a bad habit of rolling back and shielding when getting back to the stage. I wasn't able to beat him because he kept getting his grabs. Next tourney, I am in the semi-finals after beating a decent falcon, I face a good falcon. Same grab game, but this time I tried but failed to stop my bad habits. The one game that really let my anger out was a person learning sonic and trying to do those follow ups but, because of his speed, he kept getting to me. I took his first stock with and up smash, then he starts spin dashing randomly. He did it everytime. I couldn't beat him because of how fast he was. And I lost. That's when I knew I suck at smash, if I let that happen. That day, I slept in a depressed state, trying to figure out how I lost. And I thought my fox at least decent... :facepalm:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
It sounds like a lot of people here need to focus on one character instead of bringing every character that interests them into FG. You need to learn your main inside and out before you can expect to win with them.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
agreed. playing little mac, i know the startup on his moves, frame data on them, combos, endlag, which of my aerials auto cancel and when (and im a little mac player), advanced techs, matchups against other characters, edgetrumping, how long super armor lasts, and on which moves, and so on. i will give the benefit of the doubt in saying FG takes away a lot of these properties though.
LAG can throw off your combos and strings, your faster moves might not be so fast anymore, due to input lag, timing edgegaurds becomes more difficult, and advanced techs get screwed up sometimes, due to micro lag, input lag, and so on. (try p pivoting online, you will screw up more than you want.) this is also why i believe there is a skill cap to FG, because once you learn the basic stuff, like shielding rolling, and a characters moveset, you can beat anyone else on FG. Why? because things like punishing, reading your opponent, advanced techs and movement techs, and more detailed knowledge on a character becomes obsolete online. who cares if my foward smash is so slow? you might jump 5 frames too late to dodge it, and ill still hit you. i also don't think its healthy if you play offline. don't get me wrong, i still go on there sometimes for handwarmers, or just a little practice, but don't take it seriously, since rolls are hard enough to punish, and shield grabs are already strong, online just makes it almost impossible. besides, playing little mac, the character who relies on his frame data the most, and can't suffer a 5 frame input lag (which turns his frame 1 jab into a frame 6 jab) ive learned to not worry so much about win/loss ratio, or if i lose to a spammy rolling link. even the best players struggle with FG. heres a video showing a very good and very popular youtube player who understands the game well struggling against a FG link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XIf9PqkR8, also check out his other videos, they will help you out a ton.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but timing is off on fg. Doesn't matter if you read an opponents roll, if you can't time the punish right.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Well, it sounds like you experience a lot more lag than I do.

Not to say I haven't had intensely laggy matches, I have (oh god) but I've also had clear, lag free matches.
Reading has helped me in those ones, at least.

It's also funny in a laggy match when you accidentally pull something off, like you fsmash right into your opponent and KO them by accident. xD

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Lol true. Im just more sensitive to it because I play offline all the time. And there is input lag on all online matches. 5 frames, or about a 1/10th of a second. That's lag to me.

Bad1

Smash Rookie
(Deleted, realized it was wrong forum section).

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Um, not to be rude, but your post is confusing. You understand this thread is for the topic involving the mode"for glory" for smash 4 right? From what I can gather you are talking about melee, which is a game not talked about here there are other threads for melee.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I definitely suck at this game. It's frustrating to lose match after match because I am terrible at punishing my opponent's mistakes. I guess the fact I can't pick a main plays a role too. So many characters I like :/

RoboDragon

Smash Rookie
I just lost to mega man spamming pellets... And I was fox... I'm done with this stupid game. If I can't beat a campy character with a reflector, then I absolutely suck at this game. Not gonna pick it up again unless I'm insane:c

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Just don't waste your time on spammers. Spammers invested all their time into a few moves that are hard to punish. No real skill, no adapting on the fly, just repeating the same lame thing over and over again. Winning usually is a chore(by grinding, chasing, spamming yourself, chipping away damage) , so you might as well SD, block and fight someone else.

Last edited:

Yogurt

Smash Cadet
I tend to have a 80-90% rating in for glory for the most part, but then sometimes I go on a really bad losing streak and I'm like wtf......next thing I know I have 10% in the last 10 matches to different players not even the same person and I'm like..."well there goes my attempt at trying to get 100%" it's frustrating because I don't get how sometimes I just get completely wrecked by everyone....just goes to show you the for glory rating doesnt mean much

Last edited:

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
If you're playing during daytime in the weekends you're probably playing against 5 year olds.

Galm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEvilLemon
I have a difficult time with for glory. I mostly run into good players, but I lose quite often. By the time I walk away I'm high-strung and stressed. I assumed I could improve the same way I improved in TF2: just keep playing until I develop a certain mindset and the game feels natural. But at this rate I won't be able to play without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack.

TheMarkieMarkMan

Smash Rookie
Well I've learned first hand that For Glory is no fun at all, I started to main Lucina, and I only play when I want to have some fun (For Fun isn't 1 v 1 unfortunately, which I wish it had the option of being). I've got a... 11% win ratio. I won some games but those where against people around my skill level, which is very few and far between. I wish there was a system that lets you play people with similiar win ratios. But that's besides the point. Kirby, Mario, Rob, Duck Hunt and Pac-Man are instant losses for me, and lately I've come across ruthless players that would hit you while you're trying to recover. know that's what you're supposed to do but that's like a sign of no honor so to speak. I guess I do play too honorably, I let people recover and try to smash them for a win, or let them fall if they fail at recovering.

Omelets

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3626-0825-2329
Yesterday was probably the first good day I've had on FG in a while ( it started out god awful though) I found a DeDeDe who was so good at DI i couldn't even get mad that i was getting beaten as bad as I was then there was this godly ZSS i fought that honestly scared me with that blaster. Oh and I even discovered that Down throw can combo into down air with lucas if you read the DI right.

Peff

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I'm good or not, but I know I always lose against someone that also plays Falcon if they're kinda good. I'll be able to two stock their other assumed main, but will still somehow lose in a Falcon ditto match. It just makes me think the only reason I win is because of the match ups and not because I'm good with Falcon.

FordonGreeman

Smash Rookie
I used to play FG, but then I quit. I think the problem is that you can only play on Omega stages. Contrary to what most people think, Final Destination isn't the most balanced stage. It just gives the advantage to projectile users and characters with good groundplay.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
One thing everyone needs to remember and realize is you're going to face a wide variety of opponents online.

This can be said for any Online Mode as well as any game that can be played online. You need to prepare yourself for defeat because you will eventually meet someone who is obviously better than you. You don't know how many times I have faced players who didn't seem like they knew how to play one moment to players who I couldn't even touch the next. In fact, a few nights ago I went onto For Glory late one night because I couldn't sleep only to go against players who beat me each and every time with ease.

Yes, it was disheartening to get loss after loss especially when I know for a fact I do much better than that. It did make me feel bad; however it's going to happen. I can't expect to win every match and it's very possible for any of us to enter a losing streak at any moment.

Don't let your losses bring you down. Never see it as "I'm a terrible player". Everyone does begin somewhere after all, and you will improve.

There's also going to be people who will obviously try to bring you down and do whatever it takes to make you angry/upset. The harsh reality of it is you aren't going to escape this kind of behavior. You will always encounter someone on For Glory like this no matter how hard you try to avoid them. I've had plenty of players use taunts disrespectfully as well and fling insults all over the place too.

I remember one match being a 2V2 in For Glory where a friend of mine and I went again a double Wario team. These guys were good (although they spammed his bike quite a bit) and there was no denying they were beating us immensely. I honestly don't think we won a single match against these guys. I could of respected them if they didn't feel the need to taunt spam no matter what happened. That, and they also began to throw out insults at some point. I could of reported them, but didn't. Why didn't I do it exactly?

Mainly because I know that it's pretty pointless. I'm going to face more people like that (and I still do quite a lot) and if I ended up reporting every single player I came across who liked to fling insults and tried to get at me I probably would of spent more time on For Glory reporting them rather than actually playing. Okay, that's a bit of an over-exaggeration but it's how I honestly feel about it.

Despite all of For Glory's faults though, I can honestly say I enjoy it. Just remember the most important thing is to always have fun.

FordonGreeman

Smash Rookie
One thing everyone needs to remember and realize is you're going to face a wide variety of opponents online.

This can be said for any Online Mode as well as any game that can be played online. You need to prepare yourself for defeat because you will eventually meet someone who is obviously better than you. You don't know how many times I have faced players who didn't seem like they knew how to play one moment to players who I couldn't even touch the next. In fact, a few nights ago I went onto For Glory late one night because I couldn't sleep only to go against players who beat me each and every time with ease.

Yes, it was disheartening to get loss after loss especially when I know for a fact I do much better than that. It did make me feel bad; however it's going to happen. I can't expect to win every match and it's very possible for any of us to enter a losing streak at any moment.

Don't let your losses bring you down. Never see it as "I'm a terrible player". Everyone does begin somewhere after all, and you will improve.

There's also going to be people who will obviously try to bring you down and do whatever it takes to make you angry/upset. The harsh reality of it is you aren't going to escape this kind of behavior. You will always encounter someone on For Glory like this no matter how hard you try to avoid them. I've had plenty of players use taunts disrespectfully as well and fling insults all over the place too.

I remember one match being a 2V2 in For Glory where a friend of mine and I went again a double Wario team. These guys were good (although they spammed his bike quite a bit) and there was no denying they were beating us immensely. I honestly don't think we won a single match against these guys. I could of respected them if they didn't feel the need to taunt spam no matter what happened. That, and they also began to throw out insults at some point. I could of reported them, but didn't. Why didn't I do it exactly?

Mainly because I know that it's pretty pointless. I'm going to face more people like that (and I still do quite a lot) and if I ended up reporting every single player I came across who liked to fling insults and tried to get at me I probably would of spent more time on For Glory reporting them rather than actually playing. Okay, that's a bit of an over-exaggeration but it's how I honestly feel about it.

Despite all of For Glory's faults though, I can honestly say I enjoy it. Just remember the most important thing is to always have fun.
Well said.

Furret24

Smash Master
Well, here's my story for glory.

I'm currently sitting at a 60% win on FG WiiU (65% on 3DS), which is better than some on here, but I still feel I could be doing a lot better.

While I have been improving since I started doing FG (40% in January to 60% now), I still get beaten and battered a lot there.

Whenever I go against a Rosaluma, it's almost a guaranteed loss on my part. Rosalina is stupidly safe while Luma is mad strong. Dair and uair are impossible to challenge and both kill ridiculously early and her recovery is strangely good.

That's all there really is to say about me. :/

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
It's not that hard. On FG I just spam side smash with Zelda and it works. LOL!
It's like people are allergic to spacing.

Her Up B also catches rolls and catches people off guard for some reason. She is the perfect anti-'FGmeta'

Against better players it gets very tricky and using her suddenly becomes very tough. Put her up against the long disjointed hitbox characters and the matchup becomes horrendous. At that point I just switch characters.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I have a 67% win rate in FG and it always stays around that area, but I don't find FG fun at all. In my opinion FD has lots of problems, and characters have better match ups against other's on that stage, and certain strategies really work well on that stage.

Sometimes I don't feel like a good smash player because it's just FD only...

Not only that, but sometimes you have lag and it can mess up your controls, or it can just kill your mojo.

superthatdudeguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hike_w
i tell you what about for glory! as a marth main i play fairy decent, went to a 60 person tournament in mobile yesterday and placed 6th and i play everyday for at least an hour. im not the best but im not the worst but when i go to for glory all i see is spammy links and ****ty internet from the other guy which drives me absolute ape ****. i cannot handle bad internet mixed a man rolling nonstop and shooting arrows nonstop. for glory is rediculously stupid, i would much rather gather good players nnid and play friendlies with them any day over for glory.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
i tell you what about for glory! as a marth main i play fairy decent, went to a 60 person tournament in mobile yesterday and placed 6th and i play everyday for at least an hour. im not the best but im not the worst but when i go to for glory all i see is spammy links and ****ty internet from the other guy which drives me absolute ape ****. i cannot handle bad internet mixed a man rolling nonstop and shooting arrows nonstop. for glory is rediculously stupid, i would much rather gather good players nnid and play friendlies with them any day over for glory.
>60 person tourney
>Marth main is able to come in 6th

Where is this "mobile"? I could use some free money

I don't know why people complain about for glory when they could be playing on anther's. When I go into the "with anyone" section ik exactly what I'm getting into. There's just something special about defending your honor against someone who's trying to use YOUR main with YOUR color against you that you don't get on anther's, it's a pure anonymous war of desperation. If people don't want that then no one is stopping them from heading to anther's where they can stop complaining about FD-only and lag and the hero of hyrule.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Retro,

It's satisfying to get angry over things that happen on for glory and even more satisfying to vent about it on smash boards.

Ravine

superthatdudeguy

Smash Rookie
NNID
hike_w
>60 person tourney
>Marth main is able to come in 6th

Where is this "mobile"? I could use some free money

I don't know why people complain about for glory when they could be playing on anther's. When I go into the "with anyone" section ik exactly what I'm getting into. There's just something special about defending your honor against someone who's trying to use YOUR main with YOUR color against you that you don't get on anther's, it's a pure anonymous war of desperation. If people don't want that then no one is stopping them from heading to anther's where they can stop complaining about FD-only and lag and the hero of hyrule.
lol
First of all - Mobile is one of the larger cities in alabama and has one of the largest shipping docks in the united states.
Second of all - marth is not a horrible character as long as you can space well. Tipper smashes can kill high tiers like sheik or zss around 40 - 60 easily.
Third of all - that is what i usually do, i barely go on for glory anymore and prefer fighting locals around my area and with player who better than me with good internet.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Took me a second to realize you weren't talking about a YouTuber. lol
Second of all - marth is not a horrible character as long as you can space well. Tipper smashes can kill high tiers like sheik or zss around 40 - 60 easily.
I honestly don't think anyone is a terrible character. I recently fought this person who kept pulling out Zelda, and won pretty much every time she used her, but lost a lot when using other characters. (Ganondorf, and Bowser were among the characters I beat her with as well.)

Top Bottom