• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To clear things up

Heartstring

Smash Legend
or: we could just not sing the national anthems of anywhere and avoid controversy on that front completely

Hulter

Smash Cadet
I honestly think you'll have a hard time finding anyone who doesn't agree with that, and to clarify: I wholeheartedly agree as well.

Nationalism in general is amongst the very most preposterous of ideas, let alone national anthems. Especially in what is meant to be an open, inclusionary, friendly community.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I will never understand why anyone would be upset with a "USA!" chant, or D1 singing the national anthem. The act of being offended by it is far more nationalist than anything you hear anyone saying on stream. They're just getting hype, and rooting for their "home team". It's been a tradition of sports for centuries longer than smash has been around. Get over it.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I will never understand why anyone would be upset with a "USA!" chant, or D1 singing the national anthem. The act of being offended by it is far more nationalist than anything you hear anyone saying on stream. They're just getting hype, and rooting for their "home team". It's been a tradition of sports for centuries longer than smash has been around. Get over it.
Even D1 basically admits that he shouldn't have done it because he understand as a one of the top commentator he's meant to be unbias. It's tradition for the crowd to root for their home team, not the commentators in a professional format.

Anyway this discussion is boring, moving on...
Rolex fans still at an extreme minimal for people willing to bet on him.
Nearly $1500 waiting of supposedly free money for them to collect for betting on me through side-bets, which they aren't taking.

Time2Play

Smash Cadet
Not sure if serious, but that's just stupid.
Biassed commentators are like the most annoying thing ever. They should hype, commentate and analyse the match. Sick actions by either side should be hyped, but if a commentator is biassed it will often result into hyping everything one player does and downplaying everything the other player does. You saw it so often in Mango matches: "oh my god, hes soooo good, wow so sick..." and if the other guy did something sick "oh well, poor mango, got unlucky there..."

Crowd can be biassed as ****, I don't rlly care, but atleast the commentators should talk about both players the same way.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
What do Snake dittos even look like.

Because we are all expecting an awsome match but there is a chance that it may turn out to be really lame. God I hope its not like Brawl Snake dittos.

And someone needs to bring up some more heat on this money match, I wanna see this **** go up to $1000

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
What do Snake dittos even look like.

Because we are all expecting an awsome match but there is a chance that it may turn out to be really lame. God I hope its not like Brawl Snake dittos.
I believe someone here said that it will look like "two dogs trying to not step on the other's poo". Quickly wen't through the whole thread to find the original post, but it didn't catch my attention, I'm afraid.

As a side note, I was reminded of how hilarious this thread is. Seriously, some people here are just too much, lmao.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Not sure if serious, but that's just stupid.
Biassed commentators are like the most annoying thing ever. They should hype, commentate and analyse the match. Sick actions by either side should be hyped, but if a commentator is biassed it will often result into hyping everything one player does and downplaying everything the other player does. You saw it so often in Mango matches: "oh my god, hes soooo good, wow so sick..." and if the other guy did something sick "oh well, poor mango, got unlucky there..."

Crowd can be biassed as ****, I don't rlly care, but atleast the commentators should talk about both players the same way.
Come on man, give D1 more credit than that. He didn't ignore everything Leffen did, he just sang a few bars of the national anthem. He got hype.

This is a grassroots community, not a professional organization. D1, Prog, Wife, TKBreezy, Tantalus, Pierce7d, Coontail, these people are spectators, that we happen to enjoy listening to during matches. When they start getting paid, then maybe you can expect high level professionalism. Until then, they are delivering a level of professional commentary above and beyond what is required of them, as a service to the community. Let a man get hype every once in awhile, I don't see how this can bother you.

"Biased commentary", and "D1 getting hype that one time" are not the same thing, and you know it. Just because some commentators are biased as hell, and suck Mango's **** all day, doesn't mean you need to stigmatize it for everyone else.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Wasn't even talking about D1. More about biassed commentators in general.
Nah man, I was talking about D1, and you said it was stupid. I've never seen a commentator be biased that wasn't already a terrible commentator in the first place. People also only complain about "biased commentary" when it's directed at American commentators. Maybe we should talk about the biased as **** commentary from Beast4, where that one guy just kept sucking Professor Pro's **** all tournament, and minimized everything Leffen and Armada did?

and we're back on topic again.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I think I can explain the commentary for prof at beast easily:

1: Vs. Leffen, who in their right mind likes leffen, after everything we know about him?
2: Vs. Armada, no matter what anyone says, Prof was going into that match a huge underdog. and he proceded to go almost even with him!
3: Snake is just more hype to watch
3.5: Prof's is particularly hype
4. The Tranquilizer

Last edited:

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I think I can explain the commentary for prof at beast easily:

1: Vs. Leffen, who in their right mind likes leffen, after everything we know about him?
2: Vs. Armada, no matter what anyone says, Prof was going into that match a huge underdog. and he proceded to go almost even with him!
3: Snake is just more hype to watch
3.5: Prof's is particularly hype
4. The Tranquilizer
Nice use of reasoning and presentation G~P, but tranq sucks.

Also, I wish I could make a bet, but I'm broke and a filthy casual.

Last edited:

D1

Banned via Administration
Thanks for the backup guys. There are times when commentators actually do get compensated at events for their hard work which is why we push for professionalism at all times. Since we're all human, we can slip up at times. I've learned from my mistakes and thank you guys for realizing that.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I'm so conflicted right now. I'm just not experienced enough to say who the best is, honestly.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Rolex getting destroyed the other day
no hope against the Professor, better bring yo dvr son

Last edited:

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Last edited:

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
"random" is kind of exaggerated though, John Numbers is pretty good
Yeah you're right, he looks pretty good.
Hopefully I get to play him if he goes SKTAR 3, I would want to see how he fares against a real Snake.

He also said this after my BEAST performance...
Going even with armada is nice, but i feel like its an unfavorable matchup for pit and i would have done the same or better if i faced armada at apex.
and then he lost to Zero's Pit at the same tournament he lost to the Charizard....LOOOL, what a fool.
Look forward to seeing him play Armada at SKTAR 3 :)

Last edited:

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Prof: Am I a real Snake? :lol:

I fought Zero recently too, he's a really smart player. Good with Fox, Pit and Marth. I went even with his Pit a few weeks ago, it's good. But then he counterpicked me on FD with Marth... that was ugly. Marth is one of Snake's worst matchups I think, especially on FD it is rough!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
You get props for executing the prof combo and then adding extra style to the end of it

Also, John Numbers must have only gotten good with the advent of projectM. I havent ever heard of him from the brawl scene, and apparently he even mained one of the same characters as me in brawl! The man is mad good with charizard though, not gonna lie

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I will not lie, Rolex got kinda wrecked. Still shouldn't take anything away from Zero's victory though, you have to play against him to understand how much of a genius he is. The growth in his understanding each game is significant.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I will not lie, Rolex got kinda wrecked. Still shouldn't take anything away from Zero's victory though, you have to play against him to understand how much of a genius he is. The growth in his understanding each game is significant.
Zero is good, I don't think anyone is denying that.
But it's the fact that Rolex said what he said and it blew up in his face loool.

I want to MM John Numbers :p
Does anyone know if that guys is going SKTAR 3?

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
John#'s lives in NY/NJ so its a safe bet he will be at SKTAR. If you didnt hear about him in Brawl its probably because he lives in a powerful region and good players get drowned out by the Pros in a dense region, plus he stopped entering events with MK I think.

I also wish I could go to SKTAR now, saw ESAM call out all the snakes and Id bet on a true smash pro like ESAM.

Last edited:

RolexPachinko

Smash Rookie
Not to take anything away from John#s( he played amazing that day while i played not so great), but i was experimenting with new controls. Perhaps not the best thing to do in tourny but hey , it was good practice ;)

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Not to take anything away from John#s( he played amazing that day while i played not so great), but i was experimenting with new controls. Perhaps not the best thing to do in tourny but hey , it was good practice ;)
Holy balls, that was a pathetically low-tier john.

Risky

Smash Ace
You can experiment with new controls without a tag on?

Bazkip

Smash Master
Didn't Prof loose to some random Kirby not that long ago? Granted not as badly as Rolex lost to Numbers, but it doesn't even seem to have been mentioned here at all.

Though I think he just destroyed the guy in a friendly at SDS...it was R23 that beat him before, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom