• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for making a good smash moveset

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
I am not claiming to be a huge expert, but I think I have something to add to the moveset making scene. I think that the most important aspect of a smash newcomer is what they bring to the table.

The most important thing a newcomer can bring to the table is something no one else can. With the number of characters on the roster, all general playstyles have been covered, so when making a moveset you need to pick something other than a general playstyle. There are 3 good ways, in order from best to meh, to make a unique moveset.

The best way is to give them a gimmick. Examples are Olimar's pikmin, Inklings ink, and Jokers persona. These immediately set them apart just because they do something no one else can do. Something that many people trip up on though is making them too complicated. Gimmicks can be too much sometimes. Inkling is a good gimmick ceiling to this because they have 2 different gimmicks that are both very unique. Don't go past 2 major gimmicks, and don't make 1 too complicated.

Another great way is to give them unique properties on their attacks or very unique stats. Examples are Sonics speed, Belmonts long reaching whip, and Incineroar's insane grabs. Stuff like this can also separate a character from the rest and give them a style only they have.

The third way is to give them a unique personality that makes them unique despite having no direct uniqueness. Examples are Captain Falcons stylish aggressive style, Ridley's cruelty, and Ganondorf's disrespectful style. These can make a character interesting in a very unique way through just the way they do things. If possible, the other 2 are better options.

In my opinion, if a character doesn't fall into any of these categories they are not worth adding. It's ok to like a character without wanting them in smash too.

If you have any input on what I've said, then please let me know. I know my design philosophy is probably flawed, so I'd like to know how.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Nothing to critique about your philosophy. It seems rock~solid and mirrors the ideologies behind several fan~made movesets.

However, I believe it's also important for a character to reflect how they're like in their home series. This can be accomplished by giving them a gimmick resembling that of the mechanics of their game (I.e. Ryu facing opponents on 2v2's) or at least designing them around their game (Mega Man's a great example of this.)

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Please, for the love of Arkay, stop using "gimmick". I suspect most people mean "mechanic". Here are three things I think are important to movesets for new characters.

1. Balance
2. Uniqueness
3. Style

I'd expand on these, but I need to be somewhere.

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
Please, for the love of Arkay, stop using "gimmick". I suspect most people mean "mechanic". Here are three things I think are important to movesets for new characters.

1. Balance
2. Uniqueness
3. Style

I'd expand on these, but I need to be somewhere.
That's a better word. For some reason I could only think of the word gimmick.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I concur. A new character needs to bring something fresh and interesting to the roster.

Top Bottom