• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for going Solo Ness?

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if there's a topic relating to this specifically.
So I've been really getting into Ness more than ever at the moment, and I'm constantly learning new techniques with him. He has yet to cease to amaze me. Anyway, I was looking through the tourney results thread and was amazed the high placings in largish tournaments with Ness only! Ness is a very solid character in my eyes.
What are some tips on going Ness only in a tournament? You know, like pitting against bad matchups and the top tierers. I know it's a broad question, but hopefully Nesses that have placed very highly can provide some insight.
Share your experiences :]

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Simply put, you have to be really good to go all Ness and place well. Ness has bad matchups like anyone, and that means being twice or even thrice as good as your opponent in those situations. And to try to be twice as good as a top player who mains a Ness counter is... no easy feat. It takes months of knowing about and fighting said matchups consistently to the point of near perfection. This is basically the plight of people who use lower tiered characters. I'm not saying that people who use higher tiers don't put forth effort, I'm just saying that we have to overcome their efforts and the natural advantages of the character.

...Or you could deliberately enter tournaments with 7-year-olds and soccer moms. Then you could easily go all Ness and place 1st...

Simna, where art thou?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I tried going all Ness in November, October, or sometime in September.
I only placed 5th out of 34. When I decided to use Mario as a second, I placed first. Ness can't win every matchup alone, unless he changes his playstyle very often.

I managed a close win against a Marth in a fight for 1st place, and I will never try that again.
He's just not capable of dominating tournaments like Snake or MK.
Just today, I went to that same monthlies I place very highly in, but was late for signups.
I convinced my friend Tyler, who is pretty good with Ness, to use him more often. He represented very well, and won two sets today, and is moving on to semi's tomorrow. Now, you can bet he won't go Ness against what we're convinced will be Snake players. It's just not worth it.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
You can go all Ness in tourney, on any match up...

You will just have to know a lot. Also be very high in skill, not only with the character, but as a player. If you know all the match up's you'll do fine.

If you convince yourself that the match up is too hard you'll find yourself falling for things you shouldn't. Just stay calm and adapt to every match up, know them too.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That's great advice, Ref.
I rarely read up on matches and instead, learn from experience.

I'll try your way.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
That's great advice, Ref.
I rarely read up on matches and instead, learn from experience.

I'll try your way.
If it is taking too much out of you and your performance to learn everything, you should pick up a secondary, it's better than just not winning because you want to go all Ness.

Now I'm not saying you won't lose while learning, I'm just saying if you need to win, do what you need to win.

Personally I feel that Ness and a player has the ability to do so, and that Ness player would definitively have to be one of the best, and a master of the character + match ups.

I salute anyone who even attempts to do so. Well, me personally, I refuse to use other characters. Mainly because I feel that if I cannot deal with certain match ups I have a lot more to learn with Ness.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If it is taking too much out of you and your performance to learn everything, you should pick up a secondary, it's better than just not winning because you want to go all Ness.

Now I'm not saying you won't lose while learning, I'm just saying if you need to win, do what you need to win.

Personally I feel that Ness and a player has the ability to do so, and that Ness player would definitively have to be one of the best, and a master of the character + match ups.
Not at all, I already have a few secondaries that I've learned well, but I just don't feel comfortable if I'm not using Ness.
I'm fine with learning all of the matchups, I just never took the time to look over my most hated matchups.

I've lost plenty, and I've won plenty. Two-stocked a notable Marth over wi-fi today, but that proves nothing.

I'm only worried that if I play Ness too often, they'll learn my style of play, I can't change on spot, so I'll swap Ness for Mario or something, just so I don't become predictable.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I'm only worried that if I play Ness too often, they'll learn my style of play, I can't change on spot, so I'll swap Ness for Mario or something, just so I don't become predictable.
Yes this worries me too but the way I look at it now is that if I can be beat by someone knowing my style, then I only need to get better. People learning your style isn't necessary a bad thing unless it is causing you to lose, if it is then you either need to mix it up or get more skill to beat them with your style. It puts you at a disadvantage though. This is one reason why I play random characters sometimes in friendlies before the tourney.

Though I say don't over concern yourself with it, this is also why traveling around the smash scene is good.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yes this worries me too but the way I look at it now is that if I can be beat by someone knowing my style, then I only need to get better. People learning your style isn't necessary a bad thing unless it is causing you to lose, if it is then you either need to mix it up or get more skill to beat them with your style. It puts you at a disadvantage though. This is one reason why I play random characters sometimes in friendlies before the tourney.

Though I say don't over concern yourself with it, this is also why traveling around the smash scene is good.
That's my main problem, it causes me to lose. There's not a whole lot I can do, other than use less of a certain move.

I only wish I could go farther than just Land O' Lakes, I'm lucky to even have one monthly over here. The best I can do is practice against people I meet and watch videos online.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I don't even care to learn matchup ratios. I just go by experience.

If I really wanted to win tournaments, I'd go MK, but that's mad boring to me.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
Now, you can bet he won't go Ness against what we're convinced will be Snake players. It's just not worth it.
I don't do that either.
Everytime I play against a Snake I have some OCD rush that causes me to play as C. Falcon... And strangely enough I usually do pretty well.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
i know this is a serious thread... but i lol'ed at this typo

haha

Yep... Thank my level 1 vocabulary.

And I don't know I make a lot of mistakes while typing. One time I wrote I finish the data, when I meant I will finish the data tomorrow....

Anyway I'll fix it....

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well Ness' air moves (besides the Dair) are pretty hard to predict, it's fast and you'll never know if your facing the Bair kind of guy.;)
Dair can last long enough to sourspot, which does have decent knockback.
If it doesn't spike, you'll still have to risk getting back up again.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well Ness' air moves (besides the Dair) are pretty hard to predict, it's fast and you'll never know if your facing the Bair kind of guy.;)
Actually it can be quite unpredictable from who I've fought.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I find that Dair is usually the harder to predict from opponents (simply cause I use it when they roll or have delay) fair is easier to predict imo, but it can stab their shield or they might let go of shield early.

Well besides getting skill up, and learning certain matchups, it might be worth it to find out certain counterpicks for stages but that may be a bit much with everything else atm. I personally haven't cared to learn it much, I usually just randomize anyways.

Top Bottom