• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for fighting Toon Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm39

Smash Rookie
The thread title pretty much says it all. Toon Link gives me a bit of trouble, and I'd like some advice on fighting him as Lucario.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
This pretty much sums it up.. But you seem to be new here so i think timbers will let you go.. btw, TIMBERS!!!
Locking powers are needed!

Timbers

check me out
This should of been asked in the ask a simple question, get a simple answer thread.
why do people believe that like every thread every would be better off in the Q&A.

Asking how to play a matchup isn't a simple question, and there isn't going to be a simple answer.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I would play like normal. Also be ware that some TL like to smash spam. So be careful where you land out of arieaals. Also DONT GET HIT BY ZAIR. Its a pain in the *** after getting hit.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
For Toon Link you should watch out for his projectiles. If you eliminate the projectiles you have a good chance of winning. Also watch out when you use AS because Toon Link's bombs and arrows always cancel them out.

harry touchdown

Smash Rookie
try using double team to counter arrows and bombs.keep close and punish him with ariel attacks.use aura sphere to counter arrows and boomerang.dont stay under him for long or else you could take damage from bombs and down smashs.with this in mind he should be easy!!good luck!

hough123

Smash Ace
try using double team to counter arrows and bombs.keep close and punish him with ariel attacks.use aura sphere to counter arrows and boomerang.dont stay under him for long or else you could take damage from bombs and down smashs.with this in mind he should be easy!!good luck!
The trick to winning is to ignore this post :laugh: (No offence, your post just isn't very helpful D=)

I don't know much about TL, but I do have one bit of advice. When you're at high damages, don't be afraid to take his projectiles. None of them can kill you. Just chill, use PS to approach, and use your aura buff to melt his face off =D

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Technically, DT is almost useless as a counter, only good for surprise attacks and zoning, Also It scares the **** out of my friends when i DT their recovery.

iRJi

Smash Champion
You can DT a recovery? I never knew that, I'll try putting that into my game play.
The best thing to do is just to not use DT. Its not a good move in general.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I guess I could stop using it. The rate of me actually landing a DT is about 2 for every 10 attempted :( and if I don't land it I either get killed or 10% of damage.

200th Post!

iRJi

Smash Champion
I guess I could stop using it. The rate of me actually landing a DT is about 2 for every 10 attempted :( and if I don't land it I either get killed or 10% of damage.

200th Post!
Its hard to land DT. Since it doesn't have freeze frames like a few other Counters in the game, you opponent can react after hitting you. It really is just a risk that doesn't pay out a good reward.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
thats why i said useless as a counterattack, but i find the move has its uses as a scare tactic, or even a mindgame to get me to the wallspot on FD. It's easier to aim for the wall with DT attack than ES (for me) besides ive actually gimped (but not on purpose) a few people with this tactic.

Browny

Smash Hater
Maybe one of these days, people will understand to only use DT on attacks that actually have lag. Its a miracle when DT cant be shielded because it was used on something other than MK's dtilt!

we can only hope :(

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Maybe one of these days, people will understand to only use DT on attacks that actually have lag. Its a miracle when DT cant be shielded because it was used on something other than MK's dtilt!

we can only hope :(
It's still risky as hell and fsmash kills earlier lol.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
basically with TL I try to stay in his face as much as possible... keep pressure on him so he doesn't just camp you all day. his best kill move is upsmash, so if you can avoid that (upair is really easy to avoid), his only real option is to kill you with an arial... and they arent very strong so you can live pretty long and maximize your aura boost advantage. If he recovers from below, dair him out of his upb--you will usually stage spike him if you time it right, and you can get early KOs like that. Same thing if he uses his tether recovery (most good TLs wont do this against you)--dair him when hes hanging from it. AS outprioritizes his arrows when you are high percent, so feel free to make him approach you when you are high dmg.

oh, and watch the hook shot, the hitstun from it lets him follow up with a nair afterwards if you get hit, and it really adds up the damage.

EDIT: oh, uptilt is another kill move but if you space him right you shouldnt get hit by it much.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
god **** you ckm. you're probably good with Lucario but you're a thread ******.
its not my fault theres nothing to talk about in the active threads. there are like 4 people that regularly post in here, and like 5 threads worth discussing. Who the hell cares if a sorta old thread gets bumped, its not like there's anything else important being discussed in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom