• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for a new ZS samus player?

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I'm going to read a guide, but do any of you have some good tips? I mainly play melee, but I wanna get into brawl so I can play both at tournies, and I'm going to use Zero Suit since I love metroid and samus, I play her in melee and I'm one of the better players in victoria. So any good advice for a noob to brawl?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Lol, playing Samus in Melee is really different than ZSS in Brawl =p
Just try to space with Forward B, read the guide. And Again. I read it 5 times =p Watch the matches that are in the guide somewhere, the video's. They will help you get a main idea of ZSS's playing style. Dont watch to much combo vid's, there more or less some combo's that are very hard to really perform. Except for the Down Smash one's with Back Airs and SH F-Air..

The problem I had as well, don't think youre playing Melee =p Dont do to dangerous stuff trying to combo. And use your Airdogde =p

What Zero sad. Just don't use the grab, unless to punige lag, or from stun from the stungun. Or downsmash, but there are better things to do then. '

Up Tilt and up are are good too.

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
If you want to have a solid beginning as ZSS, you should read the board for new ZSS players. That thread can teach you the basics you need to form a foundation. For now you should know ZSS is hard to master, but you get your money's worth. She has devastating combos and good KO power for being one of the fastest fighters in the game as well.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
F-smash is amazing, do not listen to these nay-sayers.

Seriously though, get good at recovering, and come back in 6 months.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Never D-Air. Ever. Unless it's for the lulz or something.

One time I did a D-Air spike in lag after a running attack lock, that was worth it.

Regardless, never D-Air.

I'm pretty new to Zamus and I'm lucky that it never became a habit... unlike Scrub Sonics/Tinks.

solecalibur

Smash Master
D-air is fine to honestly if its a zss ditto match its pretty easy to get back to the ground (when your opponent and you are high up and your pressured also i've gone through nado (about in the middle) with dair but I have to be very high to time it
(dont use it a lot though i use it 3 times tops in a set)

Zero

Smash Hero
I prefer to run away from nado, shield then utilt. You can do so much more out of it, like begin air pressure. All you can get out of a dair is a reset. (not saying this is bad, I really do like using it randomly to surprise the hell out of my opponents lol)

FBM

Smash Apprentice
F-smash is amazing, do not listen to these nay-sayers.

Seriously though, get good at recovering, and come back in 6 months.
Pffffff, it will take u a week at most. DI goes a long way - make sure anything hitting you offstage it sending you as high as possible - but if you have decent Melee DI, this will be covered already. The rest is basic stuff - down-B can footstool, bounce off walls, and be turned around if you are the wrong way, tether is risky and should only be used first if its a 100% safe (you can get stagespiked as you're reeling in, so be ready to tech), and airdodge is your best friend, as you have limited options for enemies below you.

My only reliable use for grab was pivot grabbing the landing frames of aerial approaches.

Side-B rocks... Double-down smash -> aerial (bair especially) is really useful... Getting ppl in the air is really important, as she has lots to punish with from underneath, especially if platforms are involved.

I haven't played in almost a year and I'm sure (hoping) the ZSS metagame has advanced since then, but Claw's vid had a good overview of basic tricks, though a lot of them are far from guaranteed (stagespike bair can be teched, up-B -> aerial can be DI'd), but what is in Brawl anyway?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0

Oh ya, JC upsmash can be a useful OoS option if you're getting a lot of aerial pressure.

If I come to smash night on Wednesday, I'll try to give some specific advice, but I probably can't play worth a **** anymore.

noradseven

Smash Lord
First suggestion, don't take brawl competitively :laugh:...but you already play melee that way so. Next learn how to do nothing, in brawl and with ZSS too in many matches EVERYTHING we do is unsafe yes running away over B is normally safe but you run out of stage that way, and you really need that stage, don't waste it to throw out 2-3 over Bs.

With ZSS I would tell you to learn how to play for 1 week only using, d-tilt/u-air/b-air/f-air/down B...and up B for recovery.
Once you get good at using those then move on to using u-tilt/dash attack/over B/d-smash/up B aggressively then finally n-air/jab/f-tilt/d-air/f-smash/u-smash/neutral B.

It might seem restrictive at first but that is the point I see WAY too many ZSS's that rely on u-tilt/dash attack/over B/d-smash/up B offensively way to much

While n-air/jab/f-tilt/f-smash/d-air/u-smash/neutral B are useable moves, they are a bit more of niche moves. I sometimes see people using these moves way to much too normally the culprits are neutral B and u-smash.

As far as movement goes we are great in the air, and we are good at screwing up peoples ledge games, so punishing someone to a ledge is a very viable strategy, where they either have to jump guess on a punish or run off the edge.

Try to get them to the edge not so much by forcing them there but by being tricky with positioning, like I said we really don't have safe pressure.

Don't forget we have a great f-roll, and because you can just dash back then roll a good backroll as well, you can use this sparsely to trip up your opponent.

It's the closest thing we have to a ground kill-move.
I use it. :D
I use it a lot, it's a green ZSS thing lol

Plus it ***** airdodges, so when they're hit they don't expect it and DI horribly.
GASP are people finnally non-ironically agreeing with me that while f-smash is bad it has a purpose.

Basically yeah it can kill if its fresh(it always is), and its meaty(lots of active frames), so its really hard to dodge. But yeah its slow 20 frame startup, and if you miss it your ****ed.

Top Bottom