• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips About Developing A Secondary Peach

Bing

Smash Master
So I main Marth/Falco but I would like to devlope a secondary Peach(^^^) as a back up because having a Floaty Secondary I find can be helpful. I already have a puff but Im bored of Puff really.

I know some stuff already like spamming d-smash doesnt work. And other basics, but still, any good tips would be appreciated!

Thanks Everyone <3

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=41170&page=14

This helps. Also, you're right. Spamming down smash is easily punished. Peach is a character (like Jiggs) who does a lot of punishing for mistakes, and isn't really that great offensively. Her OoS options (especially Nair) are really good, and her turnips give her good options, too.

Float canceling is really important. Like...really. It helps with our bad overall speed and movement by a lot. I believe it reduces all of our aerial lag to 4 frames. Just float, do an aerial, and fastfall before the animation of the aerial is done. You can't spam things as Peach. You have to mix it up, or else people will figure you out quickly (I mean really quickly. She's kind of predictable.)

Um...
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242179

Go here for more information about matchups, and specific questions. I'm really bad at giving tips...

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
most secondary peaches are looking for her use for teams, brinstar, or ic's. Idk if you wanna use her for these reasons, but here's the skinny of it:
Start by understanding float canceling. It works like so: if you start an aerial while in your float and then lag, there's no lag. The things you will probably do after dropping fair are the following: jab, fullhop/shorthop nair, dash attack, dsmash, grab, and wavedash back. Figure out when to use each option, and how to mix them up based on what you're doing post fair. Most of the time, however, you're going to want to drop fair into dsmash. Avoid forming habits post-fair. Many peaches will jab, dash attack, or dsmash after every fair. You need to follow fair not with what you want, but with what they don't want.
Learn how people move around your turnips, and how you can use it to combo into fair. Know what you should do once you fair their shield. This and the above are crucial, peaches metagame is based around covering options and getting small punishes that result more in positioning advantages (for closing more options) than combos or large percent punishes. It's like knowing whether or not to chaingrab them or throw them off for a ledgeguard. You'll be in a much better situation if you ledgeguard.
learn basic ledgeguards for the spacie matchups and marth. Peach needs ledgeguards for kills in those matchups, so it's crucial to get them down. For fox and falco you're gonna wanna float and bair, but get used to the idea of dropping your float and reacting to them doing an option you didn't expect.
Don't spam dsmash :3 especially not on platforms. More over, **** them with it if they're getting hit my it, but you can't make it such an integral part of your game that you begin to lean on it when you panic. Peach panics easy.
Agression loses matches as peach. Your approaching game is already weak, you want to close out their space and dash attack confidently when you do approach btw, but the best advice a simple peach will hear is "float and wait for them to **** up". Most people just get impatient as you float and will throw out moves that will never hit. Punish with fair :3
Dsmash is a good move! When you use it, make sure you're doing it consciously. That means, think about if it's the right move for the situation, if it'll hit them, if they're predicting it, if they're able to avoid it (frequently they won't). Dsmashing on autopilot does you very few favourites.
C'haingrabs aren't too important seeing as the situations i listed above (teams bstar ic's) won't provide situations to chaingrab. In teams, your goal is to do one of two things: Play backup or agress. Peach does both pretty well. When backing up, you want to mostly cover your teammate, which peach can do pretty well by floating safely and then dropping with a high priority, high knockback aerial that will keep them away. Remember in teams, the only lag you have is dash attack and dsmash, so you want to use those moves when there's a bit more guarantee about landing it. Fair and bair can be used for a very good turtiling game in teams, staying safe and keeping them away while you 2v1. I generally backup the spacies, ganon, and marth.
On the other hand, I prefer to agress in teams with players or characters who require one setup for a kill. A good example of peach agressing in teams is macD and Zhu, macD jumps in with high priority, safe moves, his primary goal being to be difficult to avoid and punish. Zhu pulls them off or disracts them enough to give macD a free hit, which allows zhu to combo him to the ledge or death. Agressive peach in teams is that: be hard to avoid and punish. Use fast float cancels, if you see anyone run in, cover yourself with nair jab or dsmash. you want to force them to tech here. If they roll away from the carnage, you want your teammate to be there to grab and then do their stuff while you **** the other guy. I like this with jiggs (dsmash to techchase rest, also peaches laglessness makes fighting off 2 people easier than jiggses massive horisontal aerial movement.), Sheik, and C. Falcon (peach and falcon is just a godlike team. Peach can take a spacie at zero and instantly set him up a tech chase at 40, peach can help him cover multiple options while he has to tech to avoid the dsmash and the knee. Tons of bad di)
If you dsmash on brinstar or vs ic's, you will win. Well, if they either don't know what they're doing vs you, or screw up at all, then yeah, you will win.
This is also good info, KK too good:
Fair is a heavy, slow, high-priority, medium-range move that controls an area in front of you (and slightly above / below you). Its range to priority ratio makes it very threatening as a move, and deters approaches. This is a move you use to control space. It also beats a lot of stuff, so if people come in on you when you're spaced well (defensively speaking) it can **** approaches. It also applies a lot of pressure to shields. This is what you do when your float spacing is setup (vs a lot of characters; not Falcon though).

Nair is good when they're above you, or if you're in their face. It's also good if you need speed. It's her fastest aerial. It has some range in front of her, but not that much. It has some hitbox above her and behind her (where her arm swings). Can be good to retreat with against characters with medium / low range (FJ Nair backwards has good defense properties) and you can use variations of it (mostly float, but also SH) to sneak underneath characters like Jiggs and Sheik who depend on a specific positioning.

Bair is good for coming from above because of where the hitbox is positioned. It's sort of a middle ground between Nair and Fair in that it has more priority than Nair, but is significantly faster than Fair. You can do similar "sneak under their hitbox" tricks vs characters like Sheik that you do with Nair, but it has the benefit of more range (which is nice). Can be used to start shield pressure, but not as good as Nair to continue it (slower startup). Good to zone vs low range, defensive opponents because it's awkwardly hard to challenge.

Bair is the best for edgeguarding and gimping because it's the easiest to setup. Fair is good if you can hit it (mostly at low percents) and Nair is clunky and trades too much with stupid stuff (but ***** if you can time it through their hitbox, or if they don't have a hitbox).
Feel free to ask if you've got any questions. :3 One last thing: Bring your personal style into it. One of the things I love about sub peaches is they all serve different puropses, and their styles reflect who they main. The way peach is made leaves many things open to interpretation, so don't be afraid to think outside the box.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Not on topic at all (just browsing the forums) but the guy above me has a pretty chic avatar.

(Does the pun make it on topic?)

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I actually asked a couple weeks ago and its fun to note that peach is actually a better "main" opposed to secondary because of her unique playstyle. Kinda like Samus and Ice Climbers. That's why you don't see Peach mains switch very often (e.g. Armada, Vidjo, Wife).

Right now I've kinda "pocketed" Peach. All I really use her for is playing match-ups I'm uncomfortable with. I don't know if you will find this strategy useful but what I do is I only learn match-ups I'm not comfortable dealing with using my main. I main Marth, and am pretty confident against Fox. I'm not gonna bother learning the Peach vs Fox match-up. But sometimes I find CF annoying so I learned that match-up.

Just a thought I guess, nevertheless hope this helps. :)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Secondary Peach you have to learn like normal Peach. Her DI can be tricky because her floaty status allows her to get good enough height to avoid the follow sometimes, but start with holding most away, down, or down + away and then add survival DIs where you see appropriate.

Remember that as good as Nairing through combos is, people wait for it. Explore airdodge, get used to wiggling out of tumble into float, and get used to her awkward options (double jump, up+b, etc). This will protect you from combo damage and let you outpace.

Super fast FCs are not the foundation of Peach. They're becoming increasingly important, but Peach is mainly a character built on covering options and that means spacing your float cancels and learning how your dash attack, and various float heights interact with your opponent's options, and abusing her ability to take weak hits as an option (to cover other options) are her primary strengths.

Force yourself to edgeguard primarily with Bair on whatever you can; you'll realize why it's so good on edgeguard.

Learn how to grab the edge with wavedash FF (like a normal character) so you can grab the edge without using your float. Floating to the edge is of course excellent but keeping your float enables ledgestall tricks, and ghetto low ledgehop imitation. And some offstage gimp combos. So learn it.

Top Bottom