• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
While I think that cancelling the pre-order is extreme (this game is excellent even if Robin weren't here), I can completely understand how you feel about Robin. The first few days after his reveal, I had to check the official website first thing in the morning just to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. I also had to contain my hype for about a week because my buddy was out of town and we couldn't fanboy over it together until he got back at the end of the week.
Eh, while the idea of a portable Smash is exciting to me, the roster itself just made me wish for more. I don't see it as an obligation to get Smash if it doesn't satisfy your wants in a game.

Hong

The Strongest
Little Mac's trailer is also one of my favorites because of the style and how it's framed. I was indifferent toward the idea of him being in, but the trailer really won me over. Most of the trailers have been amazing. I almost wish they had done that with Brawl and not just some footage for the really hyped characters- seeing even "smaller" characters get trailers really makes each newcomer feel like a big addition.
In truth, I never liked Little Mac until after the game came out. :4dedede:

He's not my kind of style, so I don't plan to main him. That said, he feels SO GOOD to control and he's a lot of fun to watch. His design is so simple, but so interesting at the same time... As if he should have been here since Melee. Easily the best newcomer, for me. I wish Little Mac was the basis in which almost all characters were designed, as I find a combination of really fast and powerful attacks, and a poor recovery, means any match with a Little Mac in it ends rather quickly.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Off topic, but Lizardon, your sig is adorable!:4robinf::4charizard:

I have mixed feelings on the roster. I love a lot of the newcomers- in fact, I probably got more of my newcomer wishes here than in any other Smash game- but something feels like it's missing. I think my main issue is the unlockables. There are only 4 newcomer unlockables, 2 of which are clones (not that I mind clones, it's just a bit underwhelming), one of which we knew about already, and one of which mainly satisfies the obligatory weird retro character quota. A part of me almost thinks that they stuffed the starting roster a bit too much.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Those little things in game development that make me smile.
I totally agree. It's often the little touches in game design - those things you don't notice unless you think about it for a second - that I discover a lot in games that I love. :3

Eh, while the idea of a portable Smash is exciting to me, the roster itself just made me wish for more. I don't see it as an obligation to get Smash if it doesn't satisfy your wants in a game.
I think the problem with the Smash roster is that no matter what happens, it's incredibly hard not to wish for more. Luckily, in this day and age, 'more' may be just be what is on the horizon.

But I 100% agree on the latter sentiment. It doesn't make much sense to stay loyal to a series that doesn't deliver anymore. However, from all I've seen, Smash 4 will meet my expectations easily.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I love how almost all of the trailers are done in styles similar to their own games, and the ones that don't are still fantastic. No other game has made trailers so true to the characters.

Villager- Overview of the town
Mega Man- Robot masters
WFT- The exercise opening XD
Rosalina- Mario Kart
Little Mac- Comic Book
Greninja- Not done in the style of Pokemon, but the lineup of Pokemon is such a love letter to the series.
Mii- Reggie and Iwata
Palutena- KI Anime
Robin and Lucina- FE:A Cutscene graphics
Shulk- Harder to place, but they got in the monster hunting feel that Xenoblade seems to have at times.
Pac-Man- I'm pretty biased since he's my least favorite newcomer, but I didn't "get" it. Yeah, three video game icons was cool, but I really didn't like/get the whole "Red, Blue, Yellow" motif. I'm probably just missing some reference.

Fair enough, though I'm biased because 7/14 of the newcomers are ones that I either wanted a lot or didn't even dare to dream of getting, and most of the other ones were ones that I didn't know about personally and have all grown on me a lot (I love Shulk and Duck Hunt despite not being attached to them prior to their reveals).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In truth, I never liked Little Mac until after the game came out. :4dedede:
He's not my kind of style, so I don't plan to main him. That said, he feels SO GOOD to control and he's a lot of fun to watch. His design is so simple, but so interesting at the same time... As if he should have been here since Melee. Easily the best newcomer, for me. I wish Little Mac was the basis in which almost all characters were designed, as I find a combination of really fast and powerful attacks, and a poor recovery, means any match with a Little Mac in it ends rather quickly.
Little Mac should have been the retro character for Melee. That way no one would've gotten attached to Ice Climbers so they wouldn't have minded them being gone from Smash 3DS.
Also because Little Mac is actually quite a prominent character.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
We are all shippers.

:4dedede:
To be fair, that's completely natural. Matchmakers exist irl and whatnot.
So what you're saying is...shipping lords have come?

Horror was for comedy, carry on.

Robin is playable.

Every now and then, I have to remind myself that Robin is actually playable in this game, and that my speculation wasn't entirely for naught.
I'm still astonished he made it in. I thought for sure we'd be seeing Chrom in the slot, despite the fact that Chrom really didn't have much to add in gameplay. I only mentioned Robin as a viable yet unlikely alternative, once, offhanded, in another thread. Guess I couldn't have even called myself a dreamer, much less a believer.

Here we are though. Funny how that works, ain't it?

I'm still very disappointed over losing Wolf and the Ice Climbers, and baffled as to why Mewtwo didn't make his return when he had so much going for him.
:lucas:?
Not only Robin, but Little Mac and Shulk's trailer, are awesome because they tell you what the character is about and how they play without sounding like a tutorial. With Robin and Little Mac, notice how they defuse a negative quality by quickly overloading you with more positive qualities. This trivializes the negative in your mind, so you don't watch the trailer and go like "WTF WHY HAVE THAT KIND OF STUPID SYSTEM!", and instead you just focus on all the cool aspects.
I never noticed that, but now that you mention it, it seems obvious. Sakurai knows how to conduct a hype train. Shulk's trailer in particular wasn't standout in my opinion, though - especially not after what they pulled for Little Mac, Robin, Mega Man, and the Miis.

I wonder, if they hadn't been leaked sooner, do you think we would have seen trailers for Bowser Jr. and DHD, or do you think they'd be kept hidden?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I really like how Sakurai has done most of the trailers, more than any other director or video game company.

For these past five or so years, it has been really big with game studios to make individual trailers for characters/classes/races/etc. in response to the rise of social media. Not only Robin, but Little Mac and Shulk's trailer, are awesome because they tell you what the character is about and how they play without sounding like a tutorial. With Robin and Little Mac, notice how they defuse a negative quality by quickly overloading you with more positive qualities. This trivializes the negative in your mind, so you don't watch the trailer and go like "WTF WHY HAVE THAT KIND OF STUPID SYSTEM!", and instead you just focus on all the cool aspects.

So, in short...

"I can only use them so many times... Which is why I carry my Levin Sword!" :4robinm:

Shaymikyu

I totally agree. It's often the little touches in game design - those things you don't notice unless you think about it for a second - that I discover a lot in games that I love. :3

I think the problem with the Smash roster is that no matter what happens, it's incredibly hard not to wish for more. Luckily, in this day and age, 'more' may be just be what is on the horizon.

But I 100% agree on the latter sentiment. It doesn't make much sense to stay loyal to a series that doesn't deliver anymore. However, from all I've seen, Smash 4 will meet my expectations easily.
Yeah, whenever I have a character I really want confirmed early, I cling to another, so I guess I set my self up for disappointment. While I'm not holding my breath, I would be ecstatic for DLC. Now that it's possible, it'd be a great way to give us more content and give SSB4 more longevity.

After playing the demo, I can safely say I love SSB4. I wanted more from the roster, but the rest makes up for it for me, at least so far.
Good night sweet prince.:sadeyes: If we get DLC, I'm crossing my fingers for him as a Ness alt a la Alph.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

I have mixed feelings on the roster. I love a lot of the newcomers- in fact, I probably got more of my newcomer wishes here than in any other Smash game- but something feels like it's missing. I think my main issue is the unlockables. There are only 4 newcomer unlockables, 2 of which are clones (not that I mind clones, it's just a bit underwhelming), one of which we knew about already, and one of which mainly satisfies the obligatory weird retro character quota. A part of me almost thinks that they stuffed the starting roster a bit too much.
It's actually pretty close to Brawl's numbers:

14 unlockables
8 veterans
2 3rd Party reps already revealed.
1 retro newcomer (R.O.B)
2 sorta clone newcomers (Wolf and Toon Link)
1 complete surprise newcomer (Lucario)

Considering that we have less unlockables, the numbers are pretty close. The only significant differences are that the 3rd party reps are starters in this one and that the starting roster has a lot of characters (it's almost as big as Brawl's full roster). Yeah, the starters may have been large in number, but a lot of them were excellent in quality.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Just putting this out: If it wasn't for Robin, I would have cancelled my preorder for SSB43DS a long time ago, and I wouldn't have even considered getting the Wii U version. I'm still not getting the Wii U version, but Robin is enough for me to still give this game a chance.
Isn't that a little harsh, considering all that Sakuria has done? Just a little?

Hong

The Strongest
I never noticed that, but now that you mention it, it seems obvious. Sakurai knows how to conduct a hype train. Shulk's trailer in particular wasn't standout in my opinion, though - especially not after what they pulled for Little Mac, Robin, Mega Man, and the Miis.
Trailers are made ages before they air. Considering how late the leak occurred, it wouldn't have mattered.

Shaymikyu

That's a good point. I guess that's what feels different. I unlocked the Brawl unlockables so fast I didn't really think about it.

Actually, I think I initially felt the same way over Brawl, but got over it. Helped that my most wanted newcomer got in, though. While I got my wanted newcomers this time, I lost my favorite veteran. That didn't happen in Brawl (yeah, I see the :pichumelee: on my profile, but I wouldn't play him when I was doing more serious matches and totally expected his loss the moment it was revealed that some characters would be cut).

D

Deleted member

I wish I could get Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but I don't have the money for them. :(

Robin is playable.

Every now and then, I have to remind myself that Robin is actually playable in this game, and that my speculation wasn't entirely for naught.
It's still an incredible feeling knowing that a character that you've really wanted got in a game about Nintendo's all-stars. I still find it to be surreal that he got in, especially when I absolutely feared Chrom would get in.
Robin is now going to fight against Mario and Link and 3rd party legends like Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. Never ever forget how meaningful that is.

Indeed. I'm still very disappointed over losing Wolf and the Ice Climbers, and baffled as to why Mewtwo didn't make his return when he had so much going for him. But I have Robin and Charizard to help keep me going.
I miss Mewtwo. It's a shame he didn't get in again...
Out of the Brawl cuts, I'm only disappointed over Wolf. I loved his moveset. :(

I really like how Sakurai has done most of the trailers, more than any other director or video game company.

For these past five or so years, it has been really big with game studios to make individual trailers for characters/classes/races/etc. in response to the rise of social media. Not only Robin, but Little Mac and Shulk's trailer, are awesome because they tell you what the character is about and how they play without sounding like a tutorial. With Robin and Little Mac, notice how they defuse a negative quality by quickly overloading you with more positive qualities. This trivializes the negative in your mind, so you don't watch the trailer and go like "WTF WHY HAVE THAT KIND OF STUPID SYSTEM!", and instead you just focus on all the cool aspects.

Exactly this.
When I see character trailers for Hyrule Warriors, I think, "Oh. That's cool."
When I see character trailers for Smash 4, I think, "Whoa! Look at what this character can do! Yeah yeah yeah!" I really got those vibes from Shulk's, Robin's, Little Mac's, Mega Man's, and Greninja's trailers.
I really can't wait to see Bowser Jr.'s and Duck Hunt's!... If they get trailers that is.

So what you're saying is...shipping lords have come?

Horror was for comedy, carry on.
Dude, we're all shipping lords! We're Tacticians, after all.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Good night sweet prince.:sadeyes: If we get DLC, I'm crossing my fingers for him as a Ness alt a la Alph.
I don't know- I'd feel as if a lot of pissy fans would be outraged saying "how dare he make Lucas a costume- he doesn't even have the same moves!" While fans like you and I would be happy to see a nod to Lucas, some spoil-sports would be even more annoyed.

That's a good point. I guess that's what feels different. I unlocked the Brawl unlockables so fast I didn't really think about it.

Actually, I think I initially felt the same way over Brawl, but got over it. Helped that my most wanted newcomer got in, though. While I got my wanted newcomers this time, I lost my favorite veteran. That didn't happen in Brawl (yeah, I see the :pichumelee: on my profile, but I wouldn't play him when I was doing more serious matches and totally expected his loss the moment it was revealed that some characters would be cut).
I feel your pain- I lost Pokemon Trainer. Charizard is compensation, but I've always liked Ivysaur and Squirtle more than him (but I still do love Charizard). Concerning unlockables, just look at it this way- in about two weeks, it won't even make a difference,. Everyone will have been unlocked regardless of who was in the starting roster and not.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Brawls unlcoks were SO ANNOYING, especially Toon Link's. Also, IIRC, wasn't one of the bigs hopes about smash 4 was that unlocking characters would be easy or hoping X character was already unlock (e.g. Pacman). So times I don;t get people.

Shaymikyu

I don't know- I'd feel as if a lot of pissy fans would be outraged saying "how dare he make Lucas a costume- he doesn't even have the same moves!" While fans like you and I would be happy to see a nod to Lucas, some spoil-sports would be even more annoyed.

I feel your pain- I lost Pokemon Trainer. Charizard is compensation, but I've always liked Ivysaur and Squirtle more than him (but I still do love Charizard). Concerning unlockables, just look at it this way- in about two weeks, it won't even make a difference,. Everyone will have been unlocked regardless of who was in the starting roster and not.
That's a good point. I admit I was initially against Lucas as an alt, but once I saw that :4alph: is given his own name and most alts are given their own voices and are basically characters with the same exact moves, I'd be happier with that than no Lucas at all. Since Ness took his moves as customs, the only way I could see him back as a separate spot is with his own moves (which would be awesome, mind you).

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
Well, yesterday I finally finished the main story of Awakening after playing it off and on for over a year, so I just thought that now would be as good a time as any to say I'm so happy Robin is playable. He was a character I secretly wanted for a long time. He just had so much moveset potential and I really like his character, both design-wise and personality-wise, but I thought he stood no chance compared to someone like Chrom.

I'll never forget that morning when he was revealed. Everyone was convinced that it was going to be Shulk, but then it was Fire Emblem and everyone thought it was going to be Chrom. But then it turned out it was a double fake-out and we got Lucina instead. But THEN it was a triple fake-out and we got Robin. When I first read his splash text it felt so surreal, for a second I questioned whether or not I was dreaming. Throw in Captain Falcon, being able to play as female Robin and having the trailer be animated like the gorgeous cutscenes in Awakening and you get, in my opinion, the best reveal trailer of them all, by far. To this day the hype hasn't worn off entirely, and what's better is that I really like how Robin seems to play and I can't wait to try him out. =)

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
That is how the wolf main's are reacting at this moment. The get some nods for Sakuria about wolf to show that the character will still be remember to him but the fans are just taking it like a slap the face. So what do they do to release their rage? they take it out all onto poor Dark Pit. It just feels really mean and harsh of them to do it.

Shaymikyu

I don't "like" Dark Pit, but all the hate lobbed at him is getting obnoxious. He's not the reason Wolf/Lucas/IC/Mewtwo/Ridley/etc. was not included. He didn't "take" anyone's spot.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Well, yesterday I finally finished the main story of Awakening after playing it off and on for over a year, so I just thought that now would be as good a time as any to say I'm so happy Robin is playable. He was a character I secretly wanted for a long time. He just had so much moveset potential and I really like his character, both design-wise and personality-wise, but I thought he stood no chance compared to someone like Chrom.

I'll never forget that morning when he was revealed. Everyone was convinced that it was going to be Shulk, but then it was Fire Emblem and everyone thought it was going to be Chrom. But then it turned out it was a double fake-out and we got Lucina instead. But THEN it was a triple fake-out and we got Robin. When I first read his splash text it felt so surreal, for a second I questioned whether or not I was dreaming. Throw in Captain Falcon, being able to play as female Robin and having the trailer be animated like the gorgeous cutscenes in Awakening and you get, in my opinion, the best reveal trailer of them all, by far. To this day the hype hasn't worn off entirely, and what's better is that I really like how Robin seems to play and I can't wait to try him out. =)
I always thought that he had a decent shot compared to Chrom, but knew that he head to have had a better chance than Lucina. The morning of "#MonadoMonday," I had resigned myself to accepting a newcomer that I really didn't care too much for, but then FIRE EMBLEM. I remember being both overjoyed (I really do like her a lot) and upset when Lucina was revealed, but I was still jumping up and down for her (I was home alone, we're all aloud allowed to act goofy when nobody is home). The moment Elwind appeared, I just crashed down on my couch in shock.

I loved the love letter to Pokemon, I loved the battle between Pit and Link, and I loved almost everything else, but this trailer blew me out of the water. It was so good, especially how it played with people's expectations.

edit: Ew, "aloud"... someone needs to Lethality me for doing that...

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
That is how the wolf main's are reacting at this moment. The get some nods for Sakuria about wolf to show that the character will still be remember to him but the fans are just taking it like a slap the face. So what do they do to release their rage? they take it out all onto poor Dark Pit. It just feels really mean and harsh of them to do it.
I really liked Wolf in Brawl, one of my 3 most played characters in that game (together with Snake and Ike).
But I'm not gonna hate the game for not including him. While I always liked Wolf in Star Fox, he was the last character I unlocked in Brawl and it took quite some time before I actually tried him out and started to love him.
I bet I'll have a character like this in Smash 4, too - one I don't expect to play a lot but then... I'm really feeling it! :4shulk:

In fact, Link might end up being the one this time around. After being pretty meh in all the Smash games so far, he left a really good impression on me in the demo.
Or maybe it's Duck Hunt or Pacman or Peach or some other character I really never expected it to be.
Frankly, me liking a particular character from their own game only ever goes so far as to making them a heavily played character in Smash. It's a lot more about the playstyle.
I'm certain I'll get new playstyles I'll love that soften the blow from loosing Snake and Wolf. And hey, who knows? With DLC, I might just get them back after all.

So in any case...

Also, Crashboards.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

It's funny how you can discover new favorites unintentionally. When I played with the random button in Brawl, I discovered :peach: and :sonic:. In Melee, I doubt I would have ever tried :marthmelee: if I didn't know a major :roymelee: fan. Even in the demo, I've discovered that I actually really like :4megaman: (forgot him and Sonic on my tertiary list).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Isn't that a little harsh, considering all that Sakuria has done? Just a little?
I don't think its harsh at all. If a customer isn't satisfied with the end product of what they've been waiting for for so long, then they have a right to refuse to buy it.

Sakurai's a flawed director with very peculiar tastes and opinions, but at least he was smart enough to put Robin in. And with her inclusion, I was still interested in getting the 3DS version.

Aw, thanks! It really is cute, isn't it. I adore seeing these two together. It almost makes up for all the anguish of seeing all those months of speculation go up in flames, not to mention CrashBoards.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I don't "like" Dark Pit, but all the hate lobbed at him is getting obnoxious. He's not the reason Wolf/Lucas/IC/Mewtwo/Ridley/etc. was not included. He didn't "take" anyone's spot.
Ugh, it feels like Lucina all over again... which really sucks for me because out of my five or so mains (I'm indecisive), Lucina and Dark Pit are two of them (with Robin, Pit, and Lucario feeling awkward). Yeah, Lucina and Dark Pit may be "Flavor of the Year" (or two years or whatever) but in a sense, so too were Lucas, Shulk, and Dr. Mario (I'm not hating on them, I'm just trying to put it in perspective). Unfortunately for fans of the cut ones, they're gone. However, there are so many fans of these new characters that are made happy by them being included. My brother has 0 interest in Pit, but now he's considering maining Dark Pit. Younger fans like these are an important part of Nintendo's fanbase too!

It's funny how you can discover new favorites unintentionally. When I played with the random button in Brawl, I discovered :peach: and :sonic:. In Melee, I doubt I would have ever tried :marthmelee: if I didn't know a major :roymelee: fan. Even in the demo, I've discovered that I actually really like :4megaman: (forgot him and Sonic on my tertiary list).
(Am I quoting you 100 times today?)

Some characters just click. I fell into Ness because I couldn't beat Master Hand and Crazy Hand any other way. I picked up Marth and Roy because I unlocked them for my cousin years before I got Melee and I was excited. I've ignored Jigglypuff for the past few games, but suddenly after a Classic Mode run, I'm really enjoying her.

I really liked Wolf in Brawl, one of my 3 most played characters in that game (together with Snake and Ike).
But I'm not gonna hate the game for not including him. While I always liked Wolf in Star Fox, he was the last character I unlocked in Brawl and it took quite some time before I actually tried him out and started to love him.
I bet I'll have a character like this in Smash 4, too - one I don't expect to play a lot but then... I'm really feeling it! :4shulk:

In fact, Link might end up being the one this time around. After being pretty meh in all the Smash games so far, he left a really good impression on me in the demo.
Or maybe it's Duck Hunt or Pacman or Peach or some other character I really never expected it to be.
Frankly, me liking a particular character from their own game only ever goes so far as to making them a heavily played character in Smash. It's a lot more about the playstyle.
I'm certain I'll get new playstyles I'll love that soften the blow from loosing Snake and Wolf. And hey, who knows? With DLC, I might just get them back after all.

So in any case...

Also, Crashboards.
If it's any consolation, you can tweak Fox's stats with Customization to make him play more like Wolf. It's not perfect, but it's serviceable (I've done so with Lucina and Roy and I'm very satisfied).

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
If it's any consolation, you can tweak Fox's stats with Customization to make him play more like Wolf. It's not perfect, but it's serviceable (I've done so with Lucina and Roy and I'm very satisfied).
Heh. Hehehehe. Ahahahaha!
heh.
heheh.
:4ganondorf:
Sorry. I actually planned on writing that it might be possible to close most of the gap between Fox and Wolf via Custom Specials and Equipment in my previous post, but decided against it since it would have make it seem like Wolf would be replaceable as a skin... which would undermine my statement about how his playstyle was lost.
However, I still feel it's not a perfect match: Fox with grey fur doesn't make a Wolf, and what really made me fall for Wolf in the first place was his normals and Smash attacks. So yeah, while customizing Fox might be a consolation, it's not the fix I need for my ache.

Thanks for the laugh, though. Have the chillest seal in all of existance as a reward:

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Heh. Hehehehe. Ahahahaha!
heh.
heheh.
:4ganondorf:
Sorry. I actually planned on writing that it might be possible to close most of the gap between Fox and Wolf via Custom Specials and Equipment in my previous post, but decided against it since it would have make it seem like Wolf would be replaceable as a skin... which would undermine my statement about how his playstyle was lost.
However, I still feel it's not a perfect match: Fox with grey fur doesn't make a Wolf, and what really made me fall for Wolf in the first place was his normals and Smash attacks. So yeah, while customizing Fox might be a consolation, it's not the fix I need for my ache.

Thanks for the laugh, though. Have the chillest seal in all of existance as a reward:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Pac-Man- I'm pretty biased since he's my least favorite newcomer, but I didn't "get" it. Yeah, three video game icons was cool, but I really didn't like/get the whole "Red, Blue, Yellow" motif. I'm probably just missing some reference.
Mario is red due to Nintendo's logo, Famicom colors, and Jumpman's colors on the arcade cabinet.

Megaman is blue because of the NES's color palette having a predominant number of blue shades.

Sonic is blue because Mario is red.

Meanwhile Pac-Man's doing his thing of being a yellow legend.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Mario is red due to Nintendo's logo, Famicom colors, and Jumpman's colors on the arcade cabinet.

Megaman is blue because of the NES's color palette having a predominant number of blue shades.

Sonic is blue because Mario is red.

Meanwhile Pac-Man's doing his thing of being a yellow legend.
It just seems unbalanced with 2 blue characters,1 red, and 1 yellow. Also, if you told any Pac-Man fan prior to the trailer "Red, Blue, Yellow," would they have any sort of reaction? Xenoblade fans recognize "It looks like we don't have a choice" (I'm probably misquoting that), while "_____ Alights" would make fans think about the Goddess of Light. "Red, Blue, Yellow" doesn't seem to reference anything specific to Pac-Man himself and just is a joke about the third party representation.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Here's what irks me about Pac-Man.

NO TOC MAN ALT.

MY CHILDHOOD WAS NOT REPRESENTED IN FULL >:u

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Ugh, it feels like Lucina all over again... which really sucks for me because out of my five or so mains (I'm indecisive), Lucina and Dark Pit are two of them (with Robin, Pit, and Lucario feeling awkward). Yeah, Lucina and Dark Pit may be "Flavor of the Year" (or two years or whatever) but in a sense, so too were Lucas, Shulk, and Dr. Mario (I'm not hating on them, I'm just trying to put it in perspective). Unfortunately for fans of the cut ones, they're gone. However, there are so many fans of these new characters that are made happy by them being included. My brother has 0 interest in Pit, but now he's considering maining Dark Pit. Younger fans like these are an important part of Nintendo's fanbase too!

(Am I quoting you 100 times today?)

Some characters just click. I fell into Ness because I couldn't beat Master Hand and Crazy Hand any other way. I picked up Marth and Roy because I unlocked them for my cousin years before I got Melee and I was excited. I've ignored Jigglypuff for the past few games, but suddenly after a Classic Mode run, I'm really enjoying her.

I must be very quotable.:happysheep:

And if it makes you feel better, my favorite Brawl character was Lucas, so I know the feeling. First the hate over him supposedly replacing Ness when- surprise- Ness came back after all, then people hating him because he "abandoned" Ness in SSE, then the general anti-clone brigade... But then he's cut and everyone magically loves him.:psycho:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
October needs to hurry the hell up so I can have my Robin, Greninja, Bowser Jr., and Doge fixes.

Seriously. Slowest week ever.

Topic moves fast around here.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
October needs to hurry the hell up so I can have my Robin, Greninja, Bowser Jr., and Doge fixes.

Seriously. Slowest week ever.
Just imagine if Sakurai announced that there'd be five new characters in the Wii U version just a week before it is released and there were no leaks- I bet that week would be even worse!

Shaymikyu

A week? I'm likely not getting the Wii U one until Christmas. That would be a very, very painful wait.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Just imagine if Sakurai announced that there'd be five new characters in the Wii U version just a week before it is released and there were no leaks- I bet that week would be even worse!
Well that might make getting the Wii U version worth it in my eyes.

Emphasis on "might".

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Yes, but at least I could spend the interim beating the holy hell out of the internet with the 3DS roster.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
As much as i love Robin, i can't say she is the only reason i would've picked up this game, i guess i just don't get the negativity towards this game sometimes, i'm aware it has flaws and could have been better, but for what we got it's still an impressive game.

Top Bottom