• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Seems unlikely. The whole concept of the tomes/Levin Sword breaking is the root of his character. That would be like Rosalina and Luma without Luma lol.
Or Olimar without Pikmin, Popo without Nana, etcetera.

Yes, the character is gimmicky. A lot of characters are. That makes them unique and fun to play.

Robin is going to be hard to play. You'll need to think strategically about the uses. That's what makes the character awesome.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'd like to imagine Chrom is waiting around all day so he's ready for Robin's final smash.
Chrom is a King, so I doubt he actually change the diapers, but it's still a funny thought. He's probably sitting around the palace crying while he waits.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Maybe it's just how I played FE7 the first time (which carried through to all other FE games), but I've always viewed anything below 90% hit as bad for some reason.
Yeah, I'm the same way.
It makes axes in Binding Blade all the more infuriating.

D

Deleted member

Chrom is a King, so I doubt he actually change the diapers, but it's still a funny thought. He's probably sitting around the palace crying while he waits.
Occasionally he'll try to check on Lucina to talk to her or do something with her but he'll go to her room and realize that she's also gone and fighting in Smash Bros. :awesome:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't like letting characters die either and I did my best to avoid causalities in Sacred Stones. That said, I already let two characters die in Path of Radiance. One of them was in purpose.

CheeseBroJoe

Smash Cadet
While I do think that the limited usage of tomes and the levin sword is in important part of Robin, I don't think comparing it to Olimar's pikmin, or Rosalina's luma is entirely accurate. The aforementioned characters can't do half of their moves without their assistant characters. Whether or not Robin's tomes break is fundamentally irrelevant to the functionality of his moveset unlike luma and pikmin to Olimar and Rosalina.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
While I do think that the limited usage of tomes and the levin sword is in important part of Robin, I don't think comparing it to Olimar's pikmin, or Rosalina's luma is entirely accurate. The aforementioned characters can't do half of their moves without their assistant characters. Whether or not Robin's tomes break is fundamentally irrelevant to the functionality of his moveset unlike luma and pikmin to Olimar and Rosalina.

Uhm... nope. In FE Magic can only be cast with tomes (and staves i think). No Thunder Tome, no Thunder Magic. The end. As for his sword moves, that is why he has the Bronze Sword - which is basically the starting weaon and thus is obviously weaker than the high tier Levin Sword. Also, it isn't magical. So unless you are saying that they went and made 4 special moves that do not need tomes just for the few seconds your tomes have expired... which is definitly not happening as that would be a lot of unnecessary extra work... It is EXACTLY like those losing their partner.

Oh and also concerning ElWinbd it was already confirmed he won't fire anything nor reach height when the tome is exhausted.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Occasionally he'll try to check on Lucina to talk to her or do something with her but he'll go to her room and realize that she's also gone and fighting in Smash Bros. :awesome:
Well, he'd still have baby Lucina.
Thanks god SHE isn't playable in Smash :D

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well guys, we can't play Robin anymore, Miiverse said so.

Credit to: http://pleasesakurai.tumblr.com/page/4
(To be honest, I'm a Christian but magic in games has never bothered me. :p)

Robin has quotes for days, I'm not surprised. Robin is practically the new Morgan Freeman at this point. If Robin's VA read a leak out loud, I'd believe every word.
The fact is that most characters become quite "quotable." Ike is filled with memes from Brawl. We don't know if Ike will keep his old quotes, but I suspect he'll keep some and get some new ones that fit him better now that he's matured a bit.

Even characters I didn't like could never die. Because I'm a wuss.

And then one of my favourite characters ends up dying canonically.
Boyd is the main character in Path of Radiance I can't stand. I always have a **** time with Boyd. He's typically the first Greil Mercenary I bench, though once I get Shinon back I usually drop Shinon, too, since I've always leveled up Rolf. I also tend to like Mist over Rhys, due do Mist's mage-slaying capabilities and her being a mounted healer. Elincia is great, but she comes a bit too late to be incredibly useful, it takes a lot to level her up all the way so late in the game.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I feel like Robin's tomes will have the same, if not a bit longer, regeneration period as Wario's Bike. At least, Elwind will. It's too essential to Robin's recovery to be out of juice for a long time. Nosferatu will likely take the longest to regenerate, Arcfire will take a little less time. Not sure about Thunder though; it's the weakest tome in comparison to the others, but it's also Robin's primary damage-racking tool and likely will have the most uses, so that one can go either way.

Biggest thing I'm concerned about is the speed of Robin's moves though. Elwind ironically seems to be the fastest-acting move Robin has aside from grab. Ftilt has obvious startup, and Dtilt and Jab are not going to be setting speed records. Elthunder and Arcthunder will require two B presses from neutral, Arcfire takes just a little less time than PK Fire, and if Bronze Sword and Levin Sword carry the same attack speed, Fair is about the same speed as DDD's.

:/

If you can get the initial hit, go crazy. But first you have to get that initial hit.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The fact is that most characters become quite "quotable." Ike is filled with memes from Brawl. We don't know if Ike will keep his old quotes, but I suspect he'll keep some and get some new ones that fit him better now that he's matured a bit.
Most characters as in the ones that talk anyway. Can't exactly quote the likes of the Kongs, Yoshi, etc :p

I'm definitely interested in hearing what Ike has to say this time though.

Ryan50

Smash Cadet
Actually, I just thought about something involving Robin. Due to the fact we don't see actual swapping in and out of the tomes, what if the tomes' "durability" is shared between all of Robin's tomes? If this was the case, the tomes would break more often, and it'd actually make sense why Sakurai used "overuse" instead of a certain amount of uses. What do you guys personally think the cooldown would be if this were the case? Personally, I think anywhere between 10-15 seconds would be a good enough recharge time when it breaks if this is how the tome worked since he still has his swords to defend himself with.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually, I just thought about something involving Robin. Due to the fact we don't see actual swapping in and out of the tomes, what if the tomes' "durability" is shared between all of Robin's tomes? If this was the case, the tomes would break more often, and it'd actually make sense why Sakurai used "overuse" instead of a certain amount of uses. What do you guys personally think the cooldown would be if this were the case? Personally, I think anywhere between 10-15 seconds would be a good enough recharge time when it breaks if this is how the tome worked since he still has his swords to defend himself with.
No, each tome will definitely have a different meter. Having one tome break all the others would ruin Robin. The idea is not to overuse one tome, but if breaking one tome breaks them all, its completely worthless. You need to switch tomes to balance it out.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, Robin's custom moves. Some ideas.

His down special could involve him using other dark magic spells.
Mire could be a long distance version of Nosferatu (grab special) without the healing part.
Ruin would be a blast of darkness with a certain sweetspot for massive damage, but weak otherwise. Kind of would replicate the tome's original high critical ratio, but weaker power.

His side special custom options could be Dying Blaze, a very powerful fire spell that would wear out faster than usual (assuming each elemental tome has its own durability). It could cause a huge explosion of fire in front of Robin, having a rather large hitbox. Would be an intentionally relatively overpowered move, but impossible to spam due to its low durability. To reinforce its high risk, high reward idea, it would be slower and leave Robin vulnerable.
The other option would be Bolganone, which would cause an eruption of lava, launching foes upward. This could be used as a start up for aerial combos.

As for his up special, Wind would be weaker but would allow Robin to recover easier, while Arcwind would trade recovery ability for power.

For his neutral special, Bolting would keep the same charge mechanic as the known default one. It could consist in a lightning bolt that would appear from a certain distance from Robin. The more charge, the farther it would appear. Charge would have no bearing on its power. This tome didn't appear in Awakening, but is still a recurrent tome in the series.
The other option could be Mjölnir and it would also involve charge. The spell would consist in a blast of lightning whose radius would be bigger the more charged the move was.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I played in the same way. If I had anything under 90% hit and the battle would be crucial in some way, I would not go ahead with it.

Then again, I reset the battle every time a character died. Everyone must survive.

Especially after that scene between Leila and Hector in 7 if Matthew had died. I legitimately cried.
Agreed, though I'd make an exception on the accuracy if the opponent couldn't hit me back (Bows, for instance), unless missing would 100% cause death on the enemy phase whereby not attempting would be guaranteed to prevent the death.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The only 2 FE games where I even use Bow classes are Shadow Dragon and Radiant Dawn. Radiant Dawn because of Shinon isn't bad (Rolf isn't bad either in Radiant Dawn but Shinon is easier and consumes less EXP) and because of the SS weapon being usable at close range. Shadow Dragon because the Hunter class is actually good and Magic ain't so hot in that game, even for meant to be magic users, due to how little a growth characters have for that stat.

Otherwise magic units are infinity times superior and things like the Javelin and Hand Axe are also superior.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It'd be cool if they had Morgan show up when Robin wins a match.
I never thought of that. It reminds me of @Hong's idea for Robin's victory animations, in which Chrom and Lissa show up to congratulate his/her victory.

Sounds really cool.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Do we have any ideas on what the crowd chants should be like for Robin?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So I was looking at that Levin Fair in the video, and I noticed something peculiar about Fox.

See how slowly he's tumbling before the hit while Robin is at normal speed? That slow tumble is typically what happens while someone is still in hitstun. After hitstun is done, they start tumbling at a quicker speed.

Provided Robin and Fox are the only ones fighting, and there's no stray blast that hit Fox, it's possible Robin's FH Levin Fair can true combo from another move. This could have interesting applications.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I was looking at that Levin Fair in the video, and I noticed something peculiar about Fox.

See how slowly he's tumbling before the hit while Robin is at normal speed? That slow tumble is typically what happens while someone is still in hitstun. After hitstun is done, they start tumbling at a quicker speed.

Provided Robin and Fox are the only ones fighting, and there's no stray blast that hit Fox, it's possible Robin's FH Levin Fair can true combo from another move. This could have interesting applications.
What's nice is that hitstun has already been confirmed to be in Smash 4 to some extent (going off of the gameplay and such reported from the E3/Best Buy demos), with the probable tweaks they are making to the game based off the E3/Best Buy Demo feedback, hopefully combos will become even more possible than they were with the E3 demo (particularly if landing lag gets cut down).

Fox being in hitstun does make me wonder what move Robin used on him to put him there and be able to follow up. I say this because in watching the footage of the special moves, they seem to have some considerable ending lag.

Another thing of questions is that Sakurai said there were Smash aerials, so did he mean only Robin's Fair (I forget what exactly he said) or did he imply that Robin could have Smash aerials in all 5 directions (counting Nair as a direction)?

Obviously it's just random speculation, but perhaps Robin is following up here from a U-Tilt or U-Throw, given the landing lag that we see from that Fair, I feel like her other aerials would also be fairly slow, but also fairly powerful, although maybe that's just the case with the Levin Sword.

Last edited by a moderator:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I would love to see more stuff like this. If Robin really can just draw the Levin Sword with "smash aerials" then I would not be surprised if he could set up KOs with relative efficiency. To my knowledge the only moves we've seen so far that hit opponents upwards are the wind/multihit jab and Elwind, any others that I'm forgetting?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought everyone did that!
I do it 90% of the time, but when a character I'm trying to use who I don't care much for dies most of the way through a really hard chapter, sometimes I let them stay dead. I did it for Boyd once. Oftentimes, if one character I'm using just keeps dying, I simply stop using them. Depends on the circumstances. 90% of the time I reset the chapter, but on rare occasions I let it slide.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
It'd be cool if they had Tharja show up when Robin wins a match.
Fixed, Unless Morgan says "Do I look more like you now, Father/Mother?"

Actually, it'd be cool if Sakurai added a bunch of different victory animations or whatever with different FE:A characters

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Tharja should just be in the background whenever Robin fights. But like, so far in the background you can't see her without glitching the camera.

Just sitting there. Watching.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Maybe it will work like a grab, the more damage the opponent has, then it will be harder to broke free, still, everything is speculation...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Actually, it'd be cool if Sakurai added a bunch of different victory animations or whatever with different FE:A characters
Vaike and Virion would look all smug but proud.

Lissa would be genki incarnate

Maribelle would give a golfer's clap.

Henry would shower Robin in crow feathers.

Tharja would be in the background, watching.

And Frederick would be painting posters. You know what I'm talking about.

CheeseBroJoe

Smash Cadet
Uhm... nope. In FE Magic can only be cast with tomes (and staves i think). No Thunder Tome, no Thunder Magic. The end. As for his sword moves, that is why he has the Bronze Sword - which is basically the starting weaon and thus is obviously weaker than the high tier Levin Sword. Also, it isn't magical. So unless you are saying that they went and made 4 special moves that do not need tomes just for the few seconds your tomes have expired... which is definitly not happening as that would be a lot of unnecessary extra work... It is EXACTLY like those losing their partner.

Oh and also concerning ElWinbd it was already confirmed he won't fire anything nor reach height when the tome is exhausted.
I know you need Tomes to cast the likes of thunder, fire, wind, and their respective variations... I have played my fair share of fire emblem games. I'm not saying to get rid of the tomes at all. I was just speculating whether or not the use of the durability mechanic for tomes could be turned off via the custom moveset. Like they simply just don't run out of uses in exchange for some knock back/damage output. I'm not saying it's probable because I don't think it is, but I also don't think it is outside the realm of possibilities (nothing is with Sakurai IMO). I don't think the durability thing is that integral to Robin personally. Yes it makes him unique, but it could potentially scare off some players, and giving them the aforementioned custom option could allow such people to further enjoy Robin as a character.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I know you need Tomes to cast the likes of thunder, fire, wind, and their respective variations... I have played my fair share of fire emblem games. I'm not saying to get rid of the tomes at all. I was just speculating whether or not the use of the durability mechanic for tomes could be turned off via the custom moveset. Like they simply just don't run out of uses in exchange for some knock back/damage output. I'm not saying it's probable because I don't think it is, but I also don't think it is outside the realm of possibilities (nothing is with Sakurai IMO). I don't think the durability thing is that integral to Robin personally. Yes it makes him unique, but it could potentially scare off some players, and giving them the aforementioned custom option could allow such people to further enjoy Robin as a character.
I don't like the idea. If people don't like the mechanic, don't play the character. The fact is, Robin has a unique trait that should stick around. Maybe some custom movesets can make the tomes last longer but reduce the damage dealt. The fact is, Robin's tomes look EXTREMELY powerful. I think this is what helps to balance Robin out; the ability to degrade tomes/Levin Sword is integral, as it allows Robin's attacks and abilities that rely on the tomes/Levin Sword to be much more powerful than they would normally be able to handle.

Some characters are easier to use, some are more strategic. I always anticipated Robin would be a more strategic, harder to use character but is still very good.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The move has to hurt the opponent in order to heal. It's how it works in Fire Emblem.

It should also work on anything that has a health meter too, probably. Stuff like Luma, Master Hand, Yellow Devil, Ridley, every Smash Run enemy, Pikmin, anything that doesn't have a percentage count but can still die.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I don't like the idea. If people don't like the mechanic, don't play the character. The fact is, Robin has a unique trait that should stick around. Maybe some custom movesets can make the tomes last longer but reduce the damage dealt. The fact is, Robin's tomes look EXTREMELY powerful. I think this is what helps to balance Robin out; the ability to degrade tomes/Levin Sword is integral, as it allows Robin's attacks and abilities that rely on the tomes/Levin Sword to be much more powerful than they would normally be able to handle.

Some characters are easier to use, some are more strategic. I always anticipated Robin would be a more strategic, harder to use character but is still very good.
I thought that was why custom movesets existed (or, part of the reason). If you don't like how something works: use the custom moveset instead! Problem solved! Robin's tomes absolutely look extremely powerful, and if a custom option removed the durability they WOULD have to be nerfed to compensate. For example, force Robin into free fall or decrease the height (if elwind puts him into free fall anyway); remove the pillar from Arcfire, but decrease the end-lag a bit to compensate; significantly lower the knockback on thoron, the hitstun on Arc Thunder and Elthunder, and lower the damage/range on thunder (or some combination of those).

You truly never know with Sakurai. You might not like the idea of tripping, but there it was in Brawl anyway.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Vaike and Virion would look all smug but proud.

Lissa would be genki incarnate

Maribelle would give a golfer's clap.

Henry would shower Robin in crow feathers.

Tharja would be in the background, watching.

And Frederick would be painting posters. You know what I'm talking about.
Kellam wouldn't be there. OR WOULD HE!?

Morbi

Scavenger

What if people like the character, the design, the move-set, and the play-style of the character? They should just stop playing that character because they do not like one mechanic? :troll:

Top Bottom