• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Reminds me a little of how Epona's boost gauge is handled in Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess. Use one or two at a time, and they slowly regenerate. Blow them all, and you have to wait for them all to recharge.

That might not translate the best, though. Anyone who wasn't spamming the tomes wouldn't ever be in danger of breaking them unless they regenerated so slowly that you'd be screwed for a good 30 seconds if you did break one.
Agreed. Also, I think that, given Sakurai was trying to bring in weapon durability from Fire Emblem, we aren't going to see them regenerate before they break.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I just had a thought. If Robin can S Support any female and marry her, does that mean he S Support Robin?

Robinception!

Hong

The Strongest
Palutena's moveset can be seen on Miiverse. And it makes her unappealing to me. It would have been better for her to have a focused one, especially if it focused on her shield.

Robin does seem to have a learning curve alongside Rosalina and Palutena. Though she's the most appealing one out of the bunch for me.
Palutena will indeed be a highly technical character by virtue of her normals alone, but eh. She is a zoning character that will be best played at mid-range, since she doesn't have long-ranged options and you need to trade her specials to have any kind of speed.

Robin, inversely, has a decent assortment of thunder spells and Arcfire to operate well at a range. :D Won't have the luxury of having attacks to shoot people out of the air like Palutena, though.

D

Deleted member

The nice thing is that all of these "high learning-curve" characters seem to have some exceptional quality about them.

Palutena's Smash attacks seem to be absolutely phenomenal (in all aspects, especially range) and her zoning capabilities look quite promising.

Rosalina's approach, stage control/pressure (technically zoning), and even edge guarding options look very promising with her Luma being able to attack remotely and take heavy hits for her.

Robin's ranged game and especially her edgeguarding capabilities also look quite promising thanks to the many angles she can cover with her special moves.

Just my opinion on them, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Palutena's moveset can be seen on Miiverse. And it makes her unappealing to me. It would have been better for her to have a focused one, especially if it focused on her shield.

Robin does seem to have a learning curve alongside Rosalina and Palutena. Though she's the most appealing one out of the bunch for me.
What is her default moveset? Something is telling I will be disappointed with it. Let me guess, jump glide isn't one of her default moves -_-

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. Just based on what we have seen, Palutena looks to be a "lazy" zoner. Lots of moves with plenty of frames and lots of coverage. I don't think she'll be taking to the skies, and with those tilts and usmash she probably won't have to. Another new zoning character who focused on the mid-range is Mega Man. His core gimmick is the Mega Buster, which travels a short distance before vanishing. All three of his projectile specials might have range, but they all travel slow, to force him to this effect reach. Like Palutena, I take it he's really bad at close-quarters and will be using his excellent grab to off-set this.

Even though Robin is slow, she'll have to put in a lot more leg-work than Palutena will. Both Thunder and Arcfire don't seem suitable for close-quarters, and we don't know how good Nosferatu is, yet. Not going to make calls on her aerials, but having a disjointed hitbox is always a good thing, and I hope her averageish attack speed is not enough to render her completely inept.

Last edited:

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
What is her default moveset? Something is telling I will be disappointed with it. Let me guess, jump glide isn't one of her default moves -_-
Her neutral special is Heavenly Light, up-special is Warp, side is Auto Reticle, and for the down special it is Reflect. I am just not fond of her specials in general, but others seem to be. That's the default at least.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Robin seems like a high risk character, wich i like, though i hope that the bronze sword is at least more suitable for combos, since in a case where you run out of both attacking tomes and your levin sword, you might be able to become a more close-quarter fighter.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Robin seems to be the kind of character who's right up my alley. I actually prefer playing as characters with a "high-learning curve" in this series, like Olimar and Marth, and those who seem to be quite floaty like Samus and Mr. Game & Watch.

Honestly, it's really strange for me to imagine just how much she appeals to my playstyle. Most of the characters that I wanted for Brawl ended up not appealing to the way I play.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Its... damn, this is EXACTLY how I feel. I've been endlessly rewatching the trailer over and over. Its the only trailer I have constantly gone back to. Little Mac came by "oh, cool, he looks great." Only watched it a couple of times since. Debut trailer "eh, it looks alright." Mega Man: "YES, its Mega Man!" But I've only rewatched it a couple of times. Rosalina? "Best pick from Mario!" Still barely rewatched it. Greninja? Don't care. Didn't care that much about the Mii Fighter or Palutena trailers, either, and I don't think I EVER watched the Wii Fit Trainer trailer.

But Robin... Damnit, Robin, I just HAVE to keep going back and watching it over and over again. I think I'd feel the same way in a DK-based trailer, or for Isaac, because both are in my top 5. I just can't contain the excitement, and yes, it feels surreal... even though I know it is real. :D
I get chills every time I see this:

By the way, is it just me, or is Robin becoming rather quotable?

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I get chills every time I see this:

By the way, is it just me, or is Robin becoming rather quotable?
Robin has quotes for days, I'm not surprised. Robin is practically the new Morgan Freeman at this point. If Robin's VA read a leak out loud, I'd believe every word.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't get it.
Well, too much religious talk are not something that we have on the forums, but the gist is some people believe magic in video games is an endorsement of witch-craft and is not the way God had intended. The same kind of religious groups that want to ban Harry Potter and stuff.

D

Deleted member

I forgot to mention that Robin's Neutral Combo Options look fantastic, if her Fire Tome Neutral String doesn't change I get the feeling it could be a kill move at high percent just based off of how far it sent Captain Falcon in the trailer.

I'm also anxious to see the Thunder and Dark combos which presumably exist (since we've seen Fire and Wind).

Reila

Her neutral special is Heavenly Light, up-special is Warp, side is Auto Reticle, and for the down special it is Reflect. I am just not fond of her specials in general, but others seem to be. That's the default at least.
Ugh. Jump Glide and any other move instead of Auto Reticle would have been much better. Oh well...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, too much religious talk are not something that we have on the forums, but the gist is some people believe magic in video games is an endorsement of witch-craft and is not the way God had intended. The same kind of religious groups that want to ban Harry Potter and stuff.
Oh, that.

I think there's still groups of disgruntled parents out there who believe that Pokemon is Satanic, or that it endorses the "evils" of evolution.

But seriously, Super Smash Bros has already had magic present in the series: Zelda. Or if you want to take it even further back, we have Ness, whose telekinetic powers are really just another type of magic.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh, that.

I think there's still groups of disgruntled parents out there who believe that Pokemon is Satanic, or that it endorses the "evils" of evolution.

But seriously, Super Smash Bros has already had magic present in the series: Zelda. Or if you want to take it even further back, we have Ness, who's telekinetic powers are really just another type of magic.
Yeah, but thum spellbooks breh! Thum spellbooks is evull. Just sayin'

...Though I certainly don't want to derail this conversation into a bashing of religious ideas, as I am fairly neutral on religions in general. So let's not go down that path if we can help it.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah, but thum spellbooks breh! Thum spellbooks is evull. Just sayin'

...Though I certainly don't want to derail this conversation into a bashing of religious ideas, as I am fairly neutral on religions in general. So let's not go down that path if we can help it.
You're right. We need something that's really lighthearted for this thread. Like shipping!

I was indifferent to the WalhartxRobin ship, but this comic? Now I want to do another playthrough of Awakening, just so that I can ship her with him. (Poor Morgan.)

Morbi

Scavenger
It is the endorsement of witch-craft, albeit that is not really relevant to religion in the first place. Witch-craft can most certainly be used in a non-religious context; in fact, most of the fictional witch-craft (based on my empirical knowledge) is indeed not relevant to religion.

Also, I am going to use Robin's black palette swap and pretend that he is Harry Potter. You cannot stop me! :denzel:

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's hard to tell about any character really yet in how they play. From what we have seen of Robin, I have the feeling they are going to be ground based more.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That moment when you are down to the final enemy unit on a map in FE and it has come down to all or nothing thing. If you don't get this last hit in you know you are going to lose when it rolls down to the enemy's turn. And you have a good hit chance as well. Like 75%. But you miss it.

Maybe I should just go back to Hard to mode. Lunatic mode in Awakening is just so damned frustrating with how luck based it is compared to pass FEs. >_>

CheeseBroJoe

Smash Cadet
I wonder if for Robin's Custom moves, one option would be to turn off the gimmick for his depleting tomes at the cost of some potency or something of the like. I'm not sure I like the limited usage as of yet... I like how it's true to the series, but it seems more of a hindrance to me at this point.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I wonder if for Robin's Custom moves, one option would be to turn off the gimmick for his depleting tomes at the cost of some potency or something of the like. I'm not sure I like the limited usage as of yet... I like how it's true to the series, but it seems more of a hindrance to me at this point.
Seems unlikely. The whole concept of the tomes/Levin Sword breaking is the root of his character. That would be like Rosalina and Luma without Luma lol.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Lol, in the context of that picture this is pretty funny. Imagine Chrom at home changing baby Lucina's diaper and, then, randomly he's teleported from home to the battlefield to help Robin.

EDIT: Lawl, this picture already exists (sort of)
I'd like to imagine Chrom is waiting around all day so he's ready for Robin's final smash.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
That is a little disappointing. :(
Warp is simply a point A to point B movement skill.
Would've loved to have jump-glide as the default.

Quesion, can someone take Kellam's nobody's face and put it over Chrom's in my avatar portrait... I don't know what to expect. But I know I want to see it. xD

Nobody can forget him as the Lord of Ylisse... right? ...Right???

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Wait just a second ...

Where'd you get this from again? Because from what I know nothing has been confirmed ...

Also, regarding Robin's mobility, the fact that Elwind can run out makes me eager to NOT use her a lot in the air. It wouldn't be fun to run out of your recovery move ...

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
That moment when you are down to the final enemy unit on a map in FE and it has come down to all or nothing thing. If you don't get this last hit in you know you are going to lose when it rolls down to the enemy's turn. And you have a good hit chance as well. Like 75%. But you miss it.

Maybe I should just go back to Hard to mode. Lunatic mode in Awakening is just so damned frustrating with how luck based it is compared to pass FEs. >_>
Maybe it's just how I played FE7 the first time (which carried through to all other FE games), but I've always viewed anything below 90% hit as bad for some reason.

Reila

Oh thank god Palutena's default moves weren't confirmed. Auto Reticle and Warp are SO boring .__.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Maybe it's just how I played FE7 the first time (which carried through to all other FE games), but I've always viewed anything below 90% hit as bad for some reason.
I played in the same way. If I had anything under 90% hit and the battle would be crucial in some way, I would not go ahead with it.

Then again, I reset the battle every time a character died. Everyone must survive.

Especially after that scene between Leila and Hector in 7 if Matthew had died. I legitimately cried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom