• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
You're the best. I wasn't originally planning on pairing Robin with anybody. Honestly I was planning on letting Robin sit in the corner of every map by himself. I have seen the light.
I think the one that made me cringe was that one of my mates made his Robin the little loli girl...

And paired her with WALHART. Her poor body.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Yeah check the OP @ Hokori Hokori should have in there with the first batch of gifs.
Forward Smash

El Fire

Arc Fire

Final Smash (Quality is a bit ugly had to compress to be a reasonable file size)

Taunt

Taunt 2

Taunt 3

That should be everything
Your Arc Fire and El Fire gifs are the same move

Is this what you are talking about? Where Robin switches from El Fire to El Thunder?
Both of those are Arc moves, not El

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'm guessing that his tomes are sort of like PT's exhaustion mechanic, but that it refreshes with each life. When one tome runs out, you get the Levin Sword to replace that special (like some others have commented).
"I can only use them so many times, which is why I carry my Levin Sword!"

Semantics. That doesn't have to mean the tomes expire or have to be re-summoned like Pikmin. (The book being thrown looks more like a taunt since he's always carrying tomes while he's fighting.) He could have just meant that you can only do so much with tomes, sometimes it's better to use a sword.

Has anyone played Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin? This is how I see Robin working, except in one character. You can alternate between spellcasting and melee.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Is this what you are talking about? Where Robin switches from El Fire to El Thunder?
I actually think the little bit of lightning you see surround the character might be a brief "charging" animation.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Updated the OP with just about everything I believe. I'll probably brush it up some more sometime tonight with some theories users have come up with. If you'd like your theory included or care to nominate someone's idea, just tag me.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

I'm fairly sure this is how his B moves work now

Neutral B: Thunder- Can be charged between four different levels, Thunder, El Thunder, Arc Thunder and Thoron. Likely uses more durability the higher the charge.

Up B: El Wind- Standard Recovery, shoots two projectiles below as he pushes himself up

Down B: Nosferatu- Command grab, deals damage while draining life, healing Robin

Side B: Arc Fire- Casts a fireball angled downward. Explodes on contact, leaves a lingering flame similar to PK Fire

Also on terms of his tome switching, my theory is Robin can switch tomes freely during any animation, so as to allow him to switch to different tomes to change his A attacks that use tomes. Also I believe when a tome is all used up, you drop it using the input, then use the input again to generate a new book to use. Each tome has seperate durability from each other. May be able to drop a tome early somehow.

As for Levin sword, I don't know what determines he gets that, as it's not a B move.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I actually think the little bit of lightning you see surround the character might be a brief "charging" animation.
You are probably right about the charging, like shooting a mid power samus charge shot you have to tap twice, but if you look reaaallly close when she puts the book behind her back after firing the arclightning the book is yellow, not red. (If you watch it at .25 speed its easier to notice)

Neutral B: Thunder- Can be charged between four different levels, Thunder, El Thunder, Arc Thunder and Thoron. Likely uses more durability the higher the charge.

Up B: El Wind- Standard Recovery, shoots two projectiles below as he pushes himself up

Down B: Nosferatu- Command grab, deals damage while draining life, healing Robin

Side B: Arc Fire- Casts a fireball angled downward. Explodes on contact, leaves a lingering flame similar to PK Fire

Also on terms of his tome switching, my theory is Robin can switch tomes freely during any animation, so as to allow him to switch to different tomes to change his A attacks that use tomes. Also I believe when a tome is all used up, you drop it using the input, then use the input again to generate a new book to use. Each tome has seperate durability from each other. May be able to drop a tome early somehow.

As for Levin sword, I don't know what determines he gets that, as it's not a B move.
I agree with you. as for the Levin sword... yeah, maybe some attacks just use it all the time, maybe if one or two tombs are used up, he uses that instead of the bronze one. I am not sure.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
So, did anyone catch Kellam's Final Smash? Holy **** that was sick.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So much beautiful gif making!, one thing though, what you have listed as el fire is arc fire (or at least thats whats said when she casts it in the trailer)
So sorry! Being a Fire Emblem player it kinda through me for a loop. I even mixed the name up with Fire (the spell i actually thought it was) In Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones that animation and spell movement is identical to the Fire Spell

Your Arc Fire and El Fire gifs are the same move
Both of those are Arc moves, not El
Sorry i muted the sounds when making the gifs so i just kind winged it by vague memory

Last edited:

Neo Zero

You are probably right about the charging, like shooting a mid power samus charge shot you have to tap twice, but if you look reaaallly close when she puts the book behind her back after firing the arclightning the book is yellow, not red. (If you watch it at .25 speed its easier to notice)

I agree with you. as for the Levin sword... yeah, maybe some attacks just use it all the time, maybe if one or two tombs are used up, he uses that instead of the bronze one. I am not sure.
Given the tomes have durability, his swords should have it as well. Perhaps it has a chance of spawning the Levin sword once your sword is used up and breaks. Maybe it's guranteed once you go through a bronze sword as well. I don't think we'll have a concrete theory on this though until a PotD clears it up though.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Okay, I just saw the video over and over and here are my conclusions.

First, let's go to the ending of the video which fRobin starts with a wind tome, then uses Arcfire, and right before the atack there are flames that surround Robin. Then she uses Arcthunder, and again, right before the atack there are sparks that surround her.

In the middle of the video, when mRobin starts the sequence of Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder and Thoron with a thunder tome, there are no sparks before the atacks at all.

So I think, we can rapidly change between tomes, and I really think this is done by neutral B, and while every magic attacks we have seen so far are forward B, and the wind slices we have seen are actually down B. Plus I think, if we run out of tomes (if we stick with only one magic and don't change it) Robin will perform the animation which he throws away the tome, and it looks completely vulnerable and highly punishable.
I think that would work very well, from a gameplay standpoint it is 'similar' to transforming characters but the change is practically instant and doesn't disrupt the flow of gameplay that was problematic for transformations. simultaneously you have to be aware of both the strengths and weaknesses of the current tome you are using and the next tome you are able to switch to (provided there is a cooldown of sorts otherwise if you can switch fast enough ALL of them) adding it's own layer of strategy and planning.

Also perhaps losing the tome is when the Levin sword comes out offering a sort of risk vs. reward element of over-using a tome for improved sword-based attacks (I assume the Levin sword is also temporary).

And on a completely unrelated note the part that threw me 'off' about the voice acting was when he first said "Time to tip the scales" but I really think that was just the fact he was slightly cut-off with the intro splash art.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
The question then is how he grabs while holding the book? which it does appear happens in the trailer. You are definatly right about the noise though... maybe throwing away the book is one of his taunts? (similar to kirby...) And the book is just magically whatever color with whatever cover it should be for the spell you are casting. Once used up "reload" with one of your taunts. (just more ideas)
My theory is its one of his specials. Likely his neutral special. Neutral special is to summon a tome, and his other specials are sword attacks that can be infused with elemental damage depending on the elemental tome he has equipped.

No tome would result in no magic attacks, or non-elemental magic attacks, or possibly electricity is his default elemental attack with no tome present. This, combined with the possibility that elemental tomes are done in a pre-set order, would enable players to cycle through tomes to chose the element of their choice.

So really the tome is a personalized character item that effects him in multiple ways, at least thats my theory anyway.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I have to admit, I did not think that Robin stood a chance against Chrom. I must congratulate this thread!

Robin looks awesome!!! <3<3<3 on the thunder sword!!!

Neo Zero

My theory is its one of his specials. Likely his neutral special. Neutral special is to summon a tome, and his other specials are sword attacks that can be infused with elemental damage depending on the elemental tome he has equipped.

No tome would result in no magic attacks, or non-elemental magic attacks, or possibly electricity is his default elemental attack with no tome present. This, combined with the possibility that elemental tomes are done in a pre-set order, would enable players to cycle through tomes to chose the element of their choice.

So really the tome is a personalized character item that effects him in multiple ways, at least thats my theory anyway.
I doubt this sincerely. If the specials were sword slashes, they'd be emphasized. However, the magic was instead. Thunder was shown to have 4 different versions, and we know it charges. The rest have only been seen using one version of each. That alone would suggest these 4 tome types occupy his 4 B specials.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Semantics. That doesn't have to mean the tomes expire or have to be re-summoned like Pikmin. (The book being thrown looks more like a taunt since he's always carrying tomes while he's fighting.) He could have just meant that you can only do so much with tomes, sometimes it's better to use a sword.
You're right, it's just a theory. I don't think it's like Pikmin, though, I think It's like PT (just so we're clear).

I think the tome automatically switches upon casting the spell of choice, and remains that color until a different spell is cast.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So I haven't really been caught up on the discussion, but how do you guys think the spells will work?

And do you guys think Robin will wield other swords besides the Bronze and Levin sword? Like maybe a Killing Edge?

D

Deleted member

Updated the OP with just about everything I believe. I'll probably brush it up some more sometime tonight with some theories users have come up with. If you'd like your theory included or care to nominate someone's idea, just tag me.
@ Hokori Hokori

I would like to nominate @ Neo Zero Neo Zero 's Tome theory (addition to OP)

And make a request that my own Sword Theory be added to the OP:

I believe that Robin will spawn with the Levin Sword, and after a certain number of attacks the Levin Sword breaks, causing Robin to switch to the Bronze Sword, which keeping in line with the canon of FE, will last much longer than the Levin Sword (meaning it will not break ever in Smash). When Robin switches to the Bronze Sword, again in keeping with FE canon, her sword strikes will do noticeably less damage than when she had the Levin Sword since the Bronze Sword has much less Might.

@ Neo Zero Neo Zero

I would like to especially commend your theory, it makes sense and falls in line with the fact that Robin switched tomes and then immediately performed Arcthunder at 2:42 in the trailer. It makes more sense to me than the original idea I had that a special move would be taken for Robin to switch between books.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It took every ounce of my willpower to not go into fanboy convulsions at the campus foyer this morning. I couldn't stop the shaking though.

SOOOO glad I decided to go early. I shudder to think of the consequences had I first seen this trailer while driving there.

Robin is such a wonderful fit for the franchise. Tomes and durability mechanic, the male and female options, and Robin is the recent FE concept of your own custom player character taken to the extreme. Robin is a new face of Fire Emblem, and it's wonderful to see that recognized here.

Sorry, Sonic, gotta put away the sneakers. I've got tomes in hand now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sevi avi aaaaa viviii asaaaaa
Et vi si aaaaa vis insignis foooortiiis soli sat
Teeee meeemoooor invindigo indicas
La mi su famiiilliiaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sevi avi aaaaa viviii asaaaaa
Et vi si aaaaa vis insignis foooortiiis soli sat
Teeee meeemoooor invindigo indicas
La mi su famiiilliiaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Vo vi a tan o va miiii et vaa en meehto
a mi volan va vi o mi desen vi et o mi ha

Aaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeennnn aaa vuuso meehto
Aaaaaaaavi aaaaaaaavi so mi a no hooseeeeeen
(Vo vi a tan o va miiii et vaa en meehto
A mi volan va vi o mi desen vi et o mi ha)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeennnn aaa vuuso meehto
Aaaaaaaavi aaaaaaaavi so mi a no hooseeeeeen
(Vo vi a tan o va miiii et vaa en meehto
A mi volan va vi o mi desen vi et o mi ha)

AAAAAAAAAAAAVEEEEENNNN AAA VUUSO MEEEHTOOOOOO
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVI AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVI
(SO MI A NO HOOOSEN)

AAAAAAAAAAAAVEEEEENNNN AAA VUUSO MEEEHTOOOOOO
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVI AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVI
(SO MI A NO HOOOSEN)

VIIIIIIIIIIIIISSS
OOOO SAAAAAAAAAANNNN

I had to exprimate all of my joy with this one song.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Honestly I'm still not entirely sold on the Levin Sword. Still one of my least favorite Awakening sword designs and it's nonsense from a tactical perspective (I can run out of magic, so let's hit with more magic!).
And I'm still a bit confused why the German site lists them as Daraen even though the German version of Awakening had Robin as the default name...

But those are just very minor nitpics.
Everything else is awesome!

(And even if the German game will have the Announcer calling him "Daraen" I'll either learn to deal with it or switch my system's language to english :D)

EDIT: Reflet is Robin's japanese name.

Last edited:
Top Bottom