• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I just realized I inadvertently called Robin yesterday. In the Shulk thread @ Hokori Hokori mentioned how it would be sad if we got anyone other the Shulk tomorrow. I half-jokingly suggested Robin.

You're all welcome.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I just realized I inadvertently called Robin yesterday. In the Shulk thread @ Hokori Hokori mentioned how it would be sad if we got anyone other the Shulk tomorrow. I half-jokingly suggested Robin.

You're all welcome.
Ha ha, I remember responding back saying how pleased I'd be if that was the case since I'm already expecting Shulk to be a likely character. Now here we are...I'm still very pleased.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I just wanted to bring this picture up again. Man, how the tables have turned...

image.jpg

Hong

The Strongest
@ Moon Monkey Moon Monkey
I merged your thread into this one, since @ Hokori Hokori made his first. You are free to collaborate to come up with a compilation for the first post. I encourage Hokori to snatch up those nice gifs you got there.

Thanks. :)

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So it seems we're all generally pissed off that we have no idea what the hell Robin can do.
Basically.
There's way too much **** this guy has to even begin digging into him. All i'm gonna say is it looks like he packs a **** ton of utlity with those diffirent tomes. Like jesus. ****ing el wind has so much range and drags him upwards, he's got a fairly fast siphon move, a variety of projectiles, and i'm assuming each spell type gets 4 different moves like his lightning tomes did.

So
4 dark specials (Nosferatu and then possibly either Ruin, Flux, Waste, Goetia, Mire)
4 lightning specials (Thunder, El thunder, Arc thunder, Thorrane)
4 wind specials (Wind, El wind, Arc Wind, Rexcalibur)
and 4 fire specials (Fire, el Fire, Arc fire, Bolganone)

Also I guess there's some **** about him even switching between his levin sword and bronze sword?! Okay.

Like **** Robin, tone it down.

What i'm most curious about is his dark type moves, sense in the original game they all carried some kinda weird effect to accompany them, like Nosferatu being able to heal.

For those who arn't familiar with em.....

-------------------------------------

Ruin - Has terrible accuracy, but an OBSCENELY high crit rating that let it's damage get doubled half the time. Basically a luck based move.

Mire - Low damage but longest range move in the game BY FAR. Like. 4 times longer ranger then other ranged weapons. Basically lets mages snipe from perfect safety away.

Waste - A move that strikes twice. Not sure how this will translate to something that interesting in smash though.

Goetia - Highest damaging tome in the game in the form of a delays explosion of dark lightning.

Flux - No special trait, Although the animation sends a shadow that crawls through the ground until it hits it's enemy then rises upwards to do damage. Could be kinda neat.

--------------------------------------

Okay. Sorry for the colossal sloppy ass post, but, that's all I got. This character looks interesting as hell without being too overly complex and I wanna learn him. To many neat characters right now.

Edit:

Forward Air:
I love how beefy that hitstun is. This character just looks so satisfying.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
You have no idea how ****ing hype this one 3 minute video made me. In an era where I actually felt hype leaving me somewhat due to the all encompassing finality of "The Gematsu Leak", to think that not only would I get one of my biggest wishes fulfilled (to see more from the next Fire Emblem rep than being of the Lord rank and a European styled swordfighter) but Sakurai would take it a step further by incorporating the best underutilized aspect of FE in the items and make a stance character. Also MAGICS.

Admittedly my eggs were mostly in the Anna basket, but Robin was the strongest second choice for me and DAMN am I happy to see it all so well realized. ****, Sakurai is so based, he had enough time to go back and even appease Lucina fans.

D

Deleted member

Still thinking that Robin will start each stock with the Levin Sword, which will "break" and then will switch to the Bronze Sword afterwards, regaining the Levin Sword with each new stock after she gets KOed and repeating the cycle.

@Ragna22
As for her being sword based after losing the tome, I imagine that she will have some sort of auto reset when the tome she is using "breaks" since her special moves seem to be exclusively magic based and because she holds both a tome and sword in her idle stance.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
If Chrom has to be in Super Smash Bros. 4 (SSB4), the current apparent "Robin & Chrom" pair-up attack is the best implementation, in my opinion. I was quite averse to the idea of Chrom being a supposed playable character in SSB4, and I felt that Robin the Tactician had way more potential for uniqueness and diversity in terms of a moveset. I was going to just relegate Chrom to a standard collectible Fire Emblem Trophy (I feel that Fire Emblem: Awakening should get some representation, at least), but this appearance is good, too. Given that most of Fire Emblem: Awakening's events seem to be because of Robin's influence (in terms of Chrom's vigilante group winning fights and conflicts), it seems fitting that Robin gets a greater role in the spotlight and that Chrom actually has to put in some work. I kind of dislike the "trapping multi-slash" mechanic being used again, but Robin's attacks seem to help diversify the Final Smash a bit. And Chrom's "Super Move Portrait Attack" artwork adds a nice bit of flair to the game, too!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Now I have a pretty avatar (I think?)

Btw it is hard to take good screenshots from youtube videos, the videos always look like crap when paused.

Morbi

Scavenger

You're all welcome.
Support Level A
WingedSnagret: I just realized I inadvertently called Robin yesterday. In the Shulk thread @ Hokori Hokori mentioned how it would be sad if we got anyone other the Shulk tomorrow. I half-jokingly suggested Robin.

You're all welcome

MorbidAltruism: MorbidAltruism likes this.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, little bit of analysis on her (yes, I'm still saying her) gameplay:
  • Down A is that first swipe Robin does in the trailer (1:17)
  • It seems like the stardard AAA combo is two swipes and a fire (1:20) at first...but it might not be. I'll get to that.
  • The grab holds the opponent in place ala Mewtwo (1:22) and has wind magic as a pummel.
  • The back throw throws the opponent into a ball of thunder that then sends them at an angle (~67.5 degrees).
  • You have to charge thunder tomes. The cycle seems to be Thunder (uncharged) > Elthunder > Arcthunder > Thoron (fully charged). (1:25 on) Yes, I'm positive it's a charge. Looking at female Robin at 2:42, she starts the charge for a split second before launching Arcthunder. This also suggests that the charge can be stored :awesome:. This means that charging after a KO may let you keep a very useful and very powerful Thoron under your belt. I suspect that some players may opt not to do this, though, since the thunder may be a useful tool like Falco's laser.
    • Thunder is, again, like Falco's laser. Low damage and knockback, but with flinching.
    • Elthunder is a ball of thunder.
    • Arcthunder is a ball of thunder that explodes into an X shape and does multi-hit damage.
    • Thoron is a kamehameha.
  • Arcfire is either > B or B, depending on what the thunder charge is. It's the classic GBA Fire animation. Does multihit damage when it comes into contact with the opponent. (1:35) 2:02 actually shows that it can be used midair, but it doesn't cancel. You're stuck in the animation.
  • Dair is Elwind and is what Robin used in the trailer. This one's interesting. It goes straight down and does a single hit, making it seem fairly simple at first...but it also gives Robin a nice boost upwards and can be used multiple times in a row without much cooldown at all. This might actually play a lot into Robin's recovery game. (1:36)
  • Nosferatu seems to be his down B. It holds the opponent in place and does multiple hits that leech health. However, it looks like it has terrible range. It might be a command grab, judging by the way he seems to literally grab the opponent. I suppose it might be a down throw too, but it doesn't make as much sense as it would if it was down B. (1:38)
  • Now this is weird. Remember how I said the AAA combo might not be 1:20? 1:40 is a downward sword swipe that goes into a multihit wind attack and looks a lot like a rapid jab (it even has a finisher). If it is, then the other can't be the AAA combo, since the beginning sword swipe for the first one is an upwards swipe (followed by a downwards one). Maybe the 1:20 combo is a side smash like Link's that has multiple imputable hits? Well, if that's the case...
  • 1:47 is most likely a side smash. Swings his sword (levin makes its debut at this point) hard down to be parallel with the ground, almost touching it. If that's the case...I'm not sure what 1:20 is?
  • Fair is a sword swipe that starts with the sword behind him upwards. He turns around and makes the swing go under him with a ridiculous amount of range. It seems strong too, and probably has terrible lag. (1:48)
  • I think that another aerial is being done as he lands at 1:49, but he hits the ground either really early or really late, so I'm not sure what it is. Whatever it is, it's landing lag is really, really bad. It's definitely not the landing after fair, though. I'm sure of that.
  • His side a is a sword swipe that starts behind him as he's crouching and ends at his head height, parallel to the ground. Doesn't have a lot of range, so it may be powerful in return. (2:10)
  • And, obviously, final smash is the Chrom tag team attack.
That's every move in the trailer. We're only missing:
Up A
Up B
Up Air
Back Air
Up Smash
Down Smash

We also know two of the taunts, so we only have to wait for one more of those.

We also have the pictures to help us, which include a tiny bit more:

Doesn't look anything like any move we've seen, but it looks almost like a fair...which it can't be, since we definitely have that already. It may be back air, but I'd need to see it in motion before I jump to conclusions.

I still have no idea how he switches between the Levin sword and the bronze, though. That's bugging me. Perhaps one of the swords can break along with his tomes? Or maybe Nosferatu really is his down throw and his down b switches between stuff? I don't know. Hopefully we get clarification on this soon.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
  • It seems like the stardard AAA combo is two swipes and a fire (1:20) at first...but it might not be. I'll get to that.
  • The grab holds the opponent in place ala Mewtwo (1:22) and has wind magic as a pummel.
  • The back throw throws the opponent into a ball of thunder that then sends them at an angle (~67.5 degrees).
  • You have to charge thunder tomes. The cycle seems to be Thunder (uncharged) > Elthunder > Arcthunder > Thoron (fully charged). (1:25 on) Yes, I'm positive it's a charge. Looking at female Robin at 2:42, she starts the charge for a split second before launching Arcthunder. This also suggests that the charge can be stored :awesome:. This means that charging after a KO may let you keep a very useful and very powerful Thoron under your belt. I suspect that some players may opt not to do this, though, since the thunder may be a useful tool like Falco's laser.
    • Thunder is, again, like Falco's laser. Low damage and knockback, but with flinching.
    • Arcthunder is a ball of thunder that explodes into an X shape and does multi-hit damage.
  • Arcfire is either > B or B, depending on what the thunder charge is. It's the classic GBA Fire animation. Does multihit damage when it comes into contact with the opponent. (1:35) 2:02 actually shows that it can be used midair, but it doesn't cancel. You're stuck in the animation.
  • Dair is Elwind and is what Robin used in the trailer. This one's interesting. It goes straight down and does a single hit, making it seem fairly simple at first...but it also gives Robin a nice boost upwards and can be used multiple times in a row without much cooldown at all. This might actually play a lot into Robin's recovery game. (1:36)
  • Nosferatu seems to be his down B. It holds the opponent in place and does multiple hits that leech health. However, it looks like it has terrible range. It might be a command grab, judging by the way he seems to literally grab the opponent. I suppose it might be a down throw too, but it doesn't make as much sense as it would if it was down B. (1:38)
  • Now this is weird. Remember how I said the AAA combo might not be 1:20? 1:40 is a downward sword swipe that goes into a multihit wind attack and looks a lot like a rapid jab (it even has a finisher). If it is, then the other can't be the AAA combo, since the beginning sword swipe for the first one is an upwards swipe (followed by a downwards one). Maybe the 1:20 combo is a side smash like Link's that has multiple imputable hits? Well, if that's the case...
  • 1:47 is most likely a side smash. Swings his sword (levin makes its debut at this point) hard down to be parallel with the ground, almost touching it. If that's the case...I'm not sure what 1:20 is?
  • Fair is a sword swipe that starts with the sword behind him upwards. He turns around and makes the swing go under him with a ridiculous amount of range. It seems strong too, and probably has terrible lag. (1:48)
  • I think that another aerial is being done as he lands at 1:49, but he hits the ground either really early or really late, so I'm not sure what it is. Whatever it is, it's landing lag is really, really bad. It's definitely not the landing after fair, though. I'm sure of that.
  • His side a is a sword swipe that starts behind him as he's crouching and ends at his head height, parallel to the ground. Doesn't have a lot of range, so it may be powerful in return. (2:10)
Up A
Up B
Up Air
Back Air
Up Smash
Down Smash

Doesn't look anything like any move we've seen, but it looks almost like a fair...which it can't be, since we definitely have that already. It may be back air, but I'd need to see it in motion before I jump to conclusions.

I still have no idea how he switches between the Levin sword and the bronze, though. That's bugging me. Perhaps one of the swords can break along with his tomes? Or maybe Nosferatu really is his down throw and his down b switches between stuff? I don't know. Hopefully we get clarification on this soon.
I think that's the down air.
Edit: the Arcwind could very well be d-air also. But it could also be his aerial down B

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
He's made an interesting usage of the fire emblem mechanic of the durability of each weapon running out.

I'm very impressed, sakurai.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Off-topic: I am surprised the website hasn't overloaded already; it usually does right after a mass character reveal. [Shrugs] Then again, I came home about two or three hours after said reveal, so perhaps I missed the overload.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Can't be. That's clearly Elwind (1:36).
I corrected my post I stated that the Elwind/Arcwind could very well be his aerial down-b as it seems as if his specials are his tomes.
Off-topic: I am surprised the website hasn't overloaded already; it usually does right after a mass character reveal. [Shrugs] Then again, I came home about two or three hours after said reveal, so perhaps I missed the overload.
Yeah, you missed it.

Last edited:

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
So does he pull out his Lovin' Sword when he runs out of tomes? I really hope that isn't the case.
Judging by what Robin says in the trailer, it seems so.

I´m also curious to see how the tome and sword chances works out. If you run out of tomes, can you pull another ones? If you lose the tome and can't pull another, all magic based attacks can't work? Or work differently?

The same applies to B specials tomeless. I guess the tomes will be like Lumas. Maybe standard B will let Robin pull out another tome when in need.

Also, I see many colored tomes in Robin's hand during the video. Do all of then run out?

Ah... so many questions...:colorful:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
What are you talking about... The website crashed multiple times, it started crashing even before the reveal trailer started. lolz

D

Deleted member

Up A
Up B
Up Air
Back Air
Up Smash
Down Smash

Watch at around 2:42 and you can see the special animation Robin has for switching between tomes. As for the swords I agree that she'll break the Levin Sword (which she spawns with) and afterwards will take out the Bronze Sword, which will not break (because Bronze Swords last forever in Awakening) while also dealing lower damage, this cycle repeating upon her being KOed.

Nosferatu wouldn't make that much sense as a down throw because for that clip you can see Robin doing the grab and then the Nosferatu damage, and earlier in the trailer you can see what is Robin's normal grab animation (when he B-Throws Diddy Kong) where he grabs with his Sword hand. I attribute this difference in grab animation to the fact that the Nosferatu thing is a command grab, perhaps each element will have its own unique command grab characteristics with this move?

I don't really think that the Levin Sword will come out exclusively when a tome breaks considering in the trailer you can see Robin holding the Levin Sword and a Nosferatu tome at the same time.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Watch at around 2:42 and you can see the special animation Robin has for switching between tome.
I actually saw that, but this is a taunt isn't it?

We can't be sure, I do think Robin will have a special more to spam more tomes, or change them.

Also, good theory with the sword. If it is that way, it means that Robin may be a character with limited powerful resources, to use them wisely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I actually saw that, but this is a taunt isn't it?

We can't be sure, I do think Robin will have a special more to spam more tomes, or change them.

Also, good theory with the sword. If it is that way, it means that Robin may be a character with limited powerful resources, to use them wisely.
Yeah I get the feeling that Robin will be nightmarish at the beginning of a match/stock given her vast projectile options with her magic and her Levin Sword (assuming that is what she starts with each stock) and will become weaker as her tomes begin to break and as her Levin Sword breaks and she has to switch to the Bronze Sword.

Hong

The Strongest
Congratulations to all the Robin supporters! I had my massive doubts, but mind if I join you guys in partying until the morning sun?
Oh, I am quite aware you and I have something in common for having a semblance of critical thinking to know the leak is fraudulent.

That is enough reason to celebrate Robin, the champion of character speculation. :)

Top Bottom