• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
As much as I like the idea of Avatar/MU/Robin being in Smash 4, how do you get around the fact that there are 6 different versions of him or her? 2 are short, 2 are medium, and 2 are tall. 3 are male, and 3 are female. All of them are likely to have completely different hair styles and colors.

It seems like the lack of canon appearance is the biggest hurdle, for me.
Don't see what's wrong with just using one body type per gender. Represents the character just fine.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, now that we have the absolutely delightful news that Ike is returning, how does this impact Robin's chances? Does this take up the spot of a possible Awakening rep, or is Ike's similarity to Chrom helpful to Robin?

Hong

The Strongest
I say this has no impact on Robin. Robin functions too differently from other Fire Emblem leads to be impacted by Ike or Chrom's inclusion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At least Ike may decrease Chrom's chances, as Sakurai tends to add more variety into this roster, and he could think that 3 similar-looking swordsmen is a bad idea.

So, sorry Chrom supporters, but Robin seems to be more in favor.

Hong

The Strongest
Makes a lot more sense than Chrom.

To make Chrom, you create a wholly original character. Which is certainly doable, but why?

You can put the same effort that goes into making Chrom to make a myriad of other characters, since Chrom doesn't really have anything in the way of special powers or features. If they just want to add Chrom because they want to add another Fire Emblem character, you may as well add a Fire Emblem character who is not only completely different from the existing two, but also stand out among the hundreds of candidates for new characters in general.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
As much as I like the idea of Avatar/MU/Robin being in Smash 4, how do you get around the fact that there are 6 different versions of him or her? 2 are short, 2 are medium, and 2 are tall. 3 are male, and 3 are female. All of them are likely to have completely different hair styles and colors.

Toastie

Smash Rookie
Apologies if this has already been mentioned/discussed, but wouldn't a far easier way to include a Tactician be to have Morgan playable instead of MU? They would retain the same playstyle. Although they're pretty unlikely to get in due to their lack of significance in the plot, the developers wouldn't have to mess about with making several different models and worry about sizes - they could just make a model for female Morgan and male Morgan.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Apologies if this has already been mentioned/discussed, but wouldn't a far easier way to include a Tactician be to have Morgan playable instead of MU? They would retain the same playstyle. Although they're pretty unlikely to get in due to their lack of significance in the plot, the developers wouldn't have to mess about with making several different models and worry about sizes - they could just make a model for female Morgan and male Morgan.
There is no difficulty in Robin. The complications you have created, were created by yourself.

Robin has default appearances. They are the first thing you see after you start a file.

Hong

The Strongest
I get that, I get that, but dat height tho
Just want to throw out there that the Wii Fit Trainers already have distorted height. Either the woman is taller or the man is shorter. On one of the versions of WFT, the male trainer's head is cut off by the UI on some parts, while the female trainer is way shorter.

Toastie

Smash Rookie
Just want to throw out there that the Wii Fit Trainers already have distorted height. Either the woman is taller or the man is shorter. On one of the versions of WFT, the male trainer's head is cut off by the UI on some parts, while the female trainer is way shorter.

Not really sure what you're talking about there.
There is no difficulty in Robin. The complications you have created, were created by yourself.

Robin has default appearances. They are the first thing you see after you start a file.
I wouldn't say I'm creating them myself, those are legitimate complications. Most characters don't require multiple models, and even the Villager doesn't have the issue of wildly varying heights.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say I'm creating them myself, those are legitimate complications. Most characters don't require multiple models, and even the Villager doesn't have the issue of wildly varying heights.
between designing, modelling, rigging, animating balancing and tweaking, modelling have to be by far the easiest and quickest task, plus, really all robins should be the same height, with only hairstyles and face styles changing, meaning that you dont even have to even model the whole thing. and hair and face textures are quite simple

Toastie

Smash Rookie
between designing, modelling, rigging, animating balancing and tweaking, modelling have to be by far the easiest and quickest task, plus, really all robins should be the same height, with only hairstyles and face styles changing, meaning that you dont even have to even model the whole thing. and hair and face textures are quite simple
That's true actually. If they were all the same height, the modelling process would be much simpler. Sorry if I'm coming across badly, I'm not trying to hate on MU here at all, I'd really like to see them in SSB4, I'm just sharing some of my reservations.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That's true actually. If they were all the same height, the modelling process would be much simpler. Sorry if I'm coming across badly, I'm not trying to hate on MU here at all, I'd really like to see them in SSB4, I'm just sharing some of my reservations.
Yeah, changing height is unlikely. We would likely get a few faces/hairstyles per gender and not height altering.

Hong

The Strongest
The director is too unpredictable to really say much of anything.

One could say that this is it for Fire Emblem characters, and I wouldn't argue with them. On the other hand, the fact we got an Ike freebie like this, combined with how well Awakening flew, leaves me to believe a third representative isn't out of the question.

But who could it be? Anna, Ephraim, Micaiah, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, even Roy, all have arguments for existence. We can't hope to say what the developer deems as valuable.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The director is too unpredictable to really say much of anything.

One could say that this is it for Fire Emblem characters, and I wouldn't argue with them. On the other hand, the fact we got an Ike freebie like this, combined with how well Awakening flew, leaves me to believe a third representative isn't out of the question.

But who could it be? Anna, Ephraim, Micaiah, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, even Roy, all have arguments for existence. We can't hope to say what the developer deems as valuable.
Well, we will likely find out by E3. I really just don't want Chrom (or any other sword user for that matter). Robin's my number one hope, but I'll accept Anna (if she gets a knife), Ephraim, Micaiah or Robin.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I did warm up to the idea of Robin a bit more due to the fact that they can represent multiple classes in FE which could create interesting move-set ideas.

Also on the topic of heights both WFT's have different heights in Wii fit:

And looking at both Robins they pretty much have the similar heights as show above so I don't think the height difference will be an issue.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Chrom's chances are affected in no way by Ike returning.

Having said that, is ANYONE really that passionate about Chrom? I mean yes, he makes sense from a marketing standpoint. And no, he doesn't have to be a clone. But still, he's just another generic sword guy. (Well, Chrom could be a duo character with Robin or Lucina, I guess.)

But for the sake of roster diversity, ANY other character from Fire Emblem would be a better choice.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Chrom's chances are affected in no way by Ike returning.

Having said that, is ANYONE really that passionate about Chrom? I mean yes, he makes sense from a marketing standpoint. And no, he doesn't have to be a clone. But still, he's just another generic sword guy. (Well, Chrom could be a duo character with Robin or Lucina, I guess.)

But for the sake of roster diversity, ANY other character from Fire Emblem would be a better choice.
Robin is the best choice over Lucina because he/she is the main character other than Chrom. It actually revolves around Robin than Chrom in the whole scheme of things.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I honestly think this improves Robin's chances because Sakurai isn't going to go on about uniqueness, then add three blue haired lords with swords

Hong

The Strongest
Am I just weird, or does anyone else think the fact Robin doesn't have a wholly predefined look only make her more appealing? We can have such an awesome variety in hair styles, and maybe even accessories. O.O

Who doesn't have their own favourite Pikachu hat?

Edit - Also, due to Ike being the new FotM and the influx of resulting avatars, it is time to raise your Robins.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
At first I thought they would just do Robin with the hood up, but after seeing Villager's Alt's there's a very good chance that all the different versions of Robin seen in Pre-released Material will be the different alts in Smash.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar_(Awakening)

All those in the Gallery, playable, Hell yeah!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Moveset Idea:
Robin focuses on mid to far range combat with many different tomes. However at close range he uses his Levin Sword to cause some damage to the enemy. However it is not nearly as good as Marth or Ike's close range game.

Note: Because the English language is so dumb, I'm going to use male pronouns.

Normals:
Jab: Robin swings his L-Sword at a downward angle. (4%)
Jab Combo: Robin does a horizontal swing now filled with lightning magic. (6%)
F-Tilt: Robin stabs his sword forward. (5%)
D-Tilt: Robin does a horizontal slash close to the ground. (5%)
U-Tilt: Robin swings his sword overhead. (4%)

Smashs:

F-Smash: Robin does a big horizontal swing that deals electric damage from his Levin Sword. (5%, 3 x 2%)
U-Smash: Robin stabs multiple times upwards dealing electric damage. (4 x 3%)
D-Smash: Robin concentrates and the Levin Sword creates a small shockwave around him. (14%)

Aerials:

Nair: Robin swings his Levin Sword around him dealing electric damage. (3 x 3%)
Fair: Robin creates a small fireball in his palm and pushes his hand forward. (9%)
Dair: Robin extends his arm downtards and creates a small blast of electricity. (5 x 3%)
Bair: Robin swings his elbow backwards dealing electric damage. (12%)
Uair: Robin reaches upwards and causes a small blast of wind that cuts enemeis. (6 x 2%)

Grabs:

Pummel: Robin shocks the enemy. (2%)
F-Throw: Robin blasts the enemy forward with wind. (11%)
B-Throw: Robin kicks the enemy backwards. (8%)
U-Throw: Robin sends the enemy flying with a fire blast. (14%)
D-Throw: Robin stomps on the enemy dealing electric damage. (3 x 4%)

Specials:

Neutral Special: Bolganone

Robin places a spell seal in front of him. Whenever an enemy gets close to this, it will explode. Robin can create up to 3 of these at a time, and their lifespans are infinite. However the earliest one will explode if you try and make a 4th marker. (18% on Explode)

Side Special: Superior Jolt

Robin fires a lightning bolt that when it connects with the opponent, damages them over time. There is no way to stop this from dealing damage. However it will not cause any knockback or stun. (20% over the time of 10 seconds.)

Down Special: Counter

Kind of like a tradition, all Fire Emblem characters must have counter as their down special. However Robin's counter is unique. When you counter, you force the enemy back with a gust of wind. This damages them and sends them a good distance away from you. However the damage is very weak. (4%)

Up Special: Forseti

Robin sends a tunnel of wind magic downwards that is very cold. This sends him flying upwards and damaging enemies below him. (7 x 3%)

Hong

The Strongest
That is a very cool moveset, GamerGuy.

I need to redo the specials for my Robin moveset. I feel they should be more tactical as well.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin does have the niche everyone wanted, in that he/she can wield both magic and swords, but Robin also takes it a step further and is capable of learning to use every weapon, thanks to Robin's access to nearly every class. A reason for why Robin can do this is even implied in the canon. So giving Robin hammerspace-access properties and having Robin use all the various weapons that Fire Emblem is known for was an idea I always liked, and could set Robin apart from the rest, and is a reason I would prefer Robin over any other newcomer.

Stick out a Short Spear for Fair. Use a quick Elwind for Bair. Swipe with an Imposing Axe for the Dtilt. Ignis-boosted Levin Sword strike for Side Special. The sheer amount of possibilities with the Fire Emblem weapons makes Robin so captivating to think of a moveset for, and for me it'd be saddening if Robin was in, but with only a sword and tome in hand.

Last edited:

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
So Ike being confirmed is pretty exciting. I honestly wasn't expecting anything significant until E3. After processing it though, I instantly thought of how Robin's chances faired.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Robin does have the niche everyone wanted, in that he/she can wield both magic and swords, but Robin also takes it a step further and is capable of learning to use every weapon, thanks to Robin's access to nearly every class. A reason for why Robin can do this is even implied in the canon. So giving Robin hammerspace-access properties and having Robin use all the various weapons that Fire Emblem is known for was an idea I always liked, and could set Robin apart from the rest, and is a reason I would prefer Robin over any other newcomer.

Stick out a Short Spear for Fair. Use a quick Elwind for Bair. Swipe with an Imposing Axe for the Dtilt. Ignis-boosted Levin Sword strike for Side Special. The sheer amount of possibilities with the Fire Emblem weapons makes Robin so captivating to think of a moveset for, and for me it'd be saddening if Robin was in, but with only a sword and tome in hand.
You forgot Robin having gender swap (aka female which Sakurai has been pushing) and different body capabilities which would make him/her fit right in with WFT and Villager.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
You forgot Robin having gender swap (aka female which Sakurai has been pushing) and different body capabilities which would make him/her fit right in with WFT and Villager.
That is another good push for Robin, aesthetically speaking, but some of Robin's other models are just way too different. The male kid's model in particular. Sure, they could just not use that one, but then that dives into subjective arguments.

That said, Robin's many models can put the Smash NFC figurines to good use. Have an NFC of the standard Robin, male or female, upload data from FE:A with the data of the aesthetics of the Robin model from that file that you used onto the figurine, if possible, and then transfer that data into Smash 3DS. Bam. Your own personal Robin is ready for Smash.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
WHO'S READY FOR ROBIN?!

Because I am!!

I guess I just needed my one true main in the game before I could really get behind anyone else. Robin disappointed me in Awakening but I think she can do better in Smash.

Top Bottom