• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

IronFish

Smash Ace
I played as male Robin the first couple times, then picked female just for grins. I had her marry Chrom, and I must say there conversations are quite, um, interesting.

They see each other naked.
I hate the FRobin Chrom conversations, just trying to please the fangirls IMO...

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
as much as i want to have chrom, lucina ike and robin on smash... its highly unlikely... still, i prefer Robin over Chrom, Ike and
lucina DX.

it's important, unique and gets a great connection with the player. he/she obviously would have two models ala WFT, but even it could have different hairstyles with the different colors.

IronFish

Smash Ace
as much as i want to have chrom, lucina ike and robin on smash... its highly unlikely... still, i prefer Robin over Chrom, Ike and
lucina DX.

it's important, unique and gets a great connection with the player. he/she obviously would have two models ala WFT, but even it could have different hairstyles with the different colors.
Can you please go over your comment's grammar/punctuation/capitalization please?
Other than that I agree

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I think we can comfortably put the stupid notion that Robin can't exist because she is customizable to rest.

Hong

The Strongest
But Lordling if Smash Link doesn't fight exclusively with Deku Sticks and Bottles he isn't faithful to my perception of him. >:(

Hong

The Strongest
There is not even a reason to have two Links with basically the same moveset to begin with. Pretty sure Link has enough fighting styles, ancient artifacts and history in general to make like four completely different characters.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
There is not even a reason to have two Links with basically the same moveset to begin with. Pretty sure Link has enough fighting styles, ancient artifacts and history in general to make like four completely different characters.
And Fire Emblem - well, you know.

Really, damn shame Nintendo isn't selling out and giving us DLC and expansions.

Selling out is underrated.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
And Fire Emblem - well, you know.

Really, damn shame Nintendo isn't selling out and giving us DLC and expansions.

Selling out is underrated.
Well, Awakening had DLC. And IMO the only bad thing about them was that the Legacy Characters didn't have unique facial features AND lacked Support Convos, removing any incentive to use them. Otherwise I thought most of the DLC chapters where pretty cool.

Honestly I'd really love to see DLC/patches with new characters in Smash 4. I say patches because I believe I remember somebody from Namco saying they don't like to sell DLC characters because they put those people at a disadvantage that didn't buy them - And while I personally wouldn't care in Smash because I'd probably buy ALL of them, I DO support the notion of Gameplay over moneygrabbing.

Luckily, depending on how serious Nintendo is about making Smash 4 E-sporty, we might see regular patches and/or expansion packs. Though it would be new ground for Nintendo to do stuff like that.

Also Yaaaay PotD pretty much changed Robin's remaining way into the game from a hurdle race to a sprint to the finish line!

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I hate to be the devil's advocate, but doesn't the PotD somewhat hurt Robin's chances? SSB4 already has two gender-swapping characters as it is. I'm kind of worried to be honest.

D

Deleted member

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but doesn't the PotD somewhat hurt Robin's chances? SSB4 already has two gender-swapping characters as it is. I'm kind of worried to be honest.
Well, we'll have 3 "multi-characters" : Pikmin & Olimar, Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers who are super likely to return.

So, I think it's not inconceivable to have 3 gender-bendingswapping characters either.

Hong

The Strongest
How did the string of logic ever get to this state.

Edit - And I don't mean that as an insult. Sorry if it comes across that way.

First, we need to realize that the fact they can have different appearances is not an important part of what makes a character different. I would rank that far beneath their anatomy, fighting style, art direction, and even franchise of origin. Even if that mattered (which it doesn't), Robin will function 100% differently from the Villager and look 100% different than the Villager,

After that, I would have to remove WFT from being compare at all. The trainers, in their source material, are largely interfaces. Not characters you can play as, and most certainly not characters you customize beyond the gender.

It's not a super power, personality trait or really anything that defines Robin. I can say being customizable is integral to the Villager, and the core of Animal Crossing, but this is 100% irrelevant here.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I'd refrain from artificial numbercrunching in any form until the game is out anyways. We already have 4 Pokémon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another one or two. Counting Yoshi, we have 6 Mario characters, and I'd actually be disappointed if Wario wouldn't make it, too.

It's just as baffling to me as people always expecting that there will be a character reveal on a date that is important to a franchise - I think Sakurai has proven time and time again that he just doesn't give a hoot.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm quite pleased to see that the Villager can not only change gender with costumes, but also hair style, hair color, outfits, and eyes. This means we could get alternate costumes for some of Robin's alternate hair styles and colors as well.

What a nice day.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Very fascinating. Very fascinating indeed. Add today's news with the fact that we know customizable movsets are a thing (though granted inapplicable for online play), and Robin has massive potential to show off more of what Fire Emblem is about (i.e. more then blue-haired swordsmen).

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Heh. When I saw the PotD, of the many thoughts I had, one was "The Robin supporters surely are using this as a point in their favor". Cool for them, and for me. Because if we end having Robin as a character, I want my tall gritty and grumpy version, not just the white boy.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Heh. When I saw the PotD, of the many thoughts I had, one was "The Robin supporters surely are using this as a point in their favor". Cool for them, and for me. Because if we end having Robin as a character, I want my tall gritty and grumpy version, not just the white boy.
Maybe it'll be like Miis in Mario Kart Wii where the voice would change depending on body type.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
FTFY

Everyone knows Robin will have blue hair. Don't kid yourself.
If s/he has multiple hair colors, then yes, Robin most likely will have blue hair as an option.

Hong

The Strongest
If s/he has multiple hair colors, then yes, Robin most likely will have blue hair as an option.
Indeed.
  • Blue
  • Navy
  • Turquoise
  • Cobalt
  • Cyan
Such variety. Finally we can have something DIFFERENT from Fire Emblem. I can't wait to see her style of swordsmanship. :bluejump:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
You guys know what this means? Eyepatch wearing loli Robin alt costume confirmed! :p

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Well, not to dampen the mood (though I guess most of the latest post where just in jest), but we're most likely still only see body type 1 Robin. Y'know, hitboxes and stuff.

Though I do wonder if we'll get a new voice actor for both Robins or if they'll try to get one of the people per gender to reprise their roll.
I mean, I could live with Robin sounding a bit different from what I'm used to, but I'd probably cringe at first and think "that's not how 'Time to tip the scales!' should sound...". And then I'd get over it after playing two matches since BOO YAH, Robin made it into Smash!

I'm also still wondering if they'll call him/her Robin, Tactician or Avatar. With Red just being called Pokémon Trainer in Brawl Tactician seems quite likely, though from what I read in this thread the fan favorite would be Robin. Avatar seems the least likely to me since that's even more generic.

Last edited:

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Hong is totes right, everyone. Robin's hair will be a nice azure colour.

As far as Robin, I feel like we will get just one male and female body. Even though, I think it would be cool (and cute) to play as the chibi girl. Just the hitboxes do prove a rather huge issue like mentioned by Drakonis.

I think it will be Robin as she really isn't an avatar character, only influenced by us in terms of their aesthetics.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
you know, i just realized something, although probably someone already pointed it out...

MASSIVE FE Awekening spoiler ahead:
He/she can be considered to represent a fire emblem villian, in fact it would be the closest to have Grima palayable in smash XD. . . although woud be very spoilerish having an alternate costume that change its name to Grima and change it voiceset also XD

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
you know, i just realized something, although probably someone already pointed it out...

MASSIVE FE Awekening spoiler ahead:
He/she can be considered to represent a fire emblem villian, in fact it would be the closest to have Grima palayable in smash XD. . . although woud be very spoilerish having an alternate costume that change its name to Grima and change it voiceset also XD
It's not like Smash hasn't had spoiler material before.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Hong is totes right, everyone. Robin's hair will be a nice azure colour.

As far as Robin, I feel like we will get just one male and female body. Even though, I think it would be cool (and cute) to play as the chibi girl. Just the hitboxes do prove a rather huge issue like mentioned by Drakonis.

I think it will be Robin as she really isn't an avatar character, only influenced by us in terms of their aesthetics.
Well, the alts woldn't have to be quite as in depth with Villager. You can't edit Robin's clothing, so I can see us getting something along the line of Villager's options: Robin having a Male and female alt with just the hairstyle/color and face changing with some possible tinting of the clothing.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Add me to the supporters, I loved my tactician and his involvement in the story. I especially enjoyed the customized appearance and voice combo I made for mine (blond spiky hair, deep voice) matched me very well. Such a step up from FE7's tactician. I felt his and Chrom's relationship in Awakening was great. Tactician has a lot of personality too.

So, although I do think Chrom has a better chance unfortunately (Not to say I don't like Chrom, he's my favorite lord) but time will tell! If Robin gets in, I'd prefer his name to be "Tactician" (although I think it would be Robin anyways)...Also, I would want Robin to have a magic heavy moveset.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Wouldn't it be the ultimate insult if Robin did get in the game, except his hair was blue and only blue, didn't have a gender swap, and only wielded a generic sword and nothing else?

Top Bottom