• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Honestly apart from Camilla everyone else don't seem to be fanservice just good looking. Camilla is supposed to look seductive because she will probably play a similar role to Aversa as the dark, powerful and beautiful woman. I like her design and her Wyvern Rider class but I do not like some of her fanboys who are getting a little bit creepy.
Oh there is a misunderstanding. I didn't say she is necessarily evil or wicked like brainwashed Aversa, she just shares her archetype in the story. That's what I am guessing anyway.
We are in the same boat my friend. I'm really interested in her own personal story arc and relationship with Kamui (and not necessarily in the sexy way).

Looking back at this gif, what if this cutscene takes place if you side with Hoshido?

We see Camilla on what I think is Nohr's castle and she confronts Kamui. Instead of ordering Kamui's death, she tries to talk Kamui into coming back to Nohr. Unfortunately for Camilla, Kamui has seen the evil of Nohr's ways, he/she refuses and tries to convince her to side with them. Both sides refuse to accept the other's offer and resort to fighting each other.
The battle ends with the death of the Wyvern Knight.
Alternatively this could play after siding with Nohr. Camilla welcomes you back and thanks you for picking the "right" side.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'll honestly never understand the mentality of disliking something just because it is "fanservicey". Like if you dislike for an actual reason beyond just "hurr durr fanservice bad" then fine but I really don't get the whole dislike something solely because of "fanservice". I've never understood it. Like, really, what does something being "fanservice" matter or not?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Im indifferent to fanservice, personally. That doesn't factor in my enjoyment of a game that has it...unless it's taken to Dead or Alive levels, in which case I'll be turned away from it.

D

Deleted member

I don't mind fanservice as long as it isn't too extreme or anything.

Also I haven't posted in this thread in a while

Last edited by a moderator:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I don't mind fanservice as long as it isn't too extreme or anything.

Also I haven't posted in this thread in a while
I'm of the same mindset actually. I enjoy me some fan service but it's not necessary. As long as it is handled tastefully, I'm fine with it. That being said, the moment it becomes too extreme, I get turned off by it. I thought Awakening did a solid job at providing enough fan service but not too much to the point where it became overwhelming or unnecessary.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'll honestly never understand the mentality of disliking something just because it is "fanservicey". Like if you dislike for an actual reason beyond just "hurr durr fanservice bad" then fine but I really don't get the whole dislike something solely because of "fanservice". I've never understood it. Like, really, what does something being "fanservice" matter or not?
It not a simple matter for me.

If a character is sexy as a design intention, that's one thing. Boob lady is sexy by design intention, as was Aversa. I don't like either of them by virtue of the fact, from what we know now, I don't have anything to value of them. Doesn't mean a distaste towards sex. A character like Capcom's Poison is a sexy character by design and intent, and I enjoy her design and personality, but it's because of the total package.

It is when sex is misplaced. I don't like fan service when it inhibits the actual servicing of fan. For instance, bikini mail. It is my fantasy to have a character with proper armour, preferably a woman. When a character is supposed to be well armoured as a part of her duty, it's not a matter of it being realistic or unrealistic, so much as I just don't find it cool when I'm not ducked out from foot to shoulders. This is an issue when you play a game like TERA, where the majority of female outfits and designs are gunning for some form of sex appeal, often not trying to do anything that I find cool at the same time. In that game, it's really hard for me to find something that is cool and doesn't feel like an embarrassment to wear.

When you design something sexy but give little detail towards making a character appealing outside of the features that make them sexy, then what is left of them if you don't find them sexy? If you make a character all about fan service, where most of what they are if not everything is about sex, if you don't find them sexy then they have little to appeal if they didn't try much else with the character. Dante from Devil May Cry is a great character, because they did it right. If you don't find him sexy, that's alright, because he also has a cool design. Not sure if that was ever what they intended, but that's how it's come out to.

In short, I don't like boob lady because so far there is nothing to appeal to me yet. The typical dark seductress character is a massive bore for me and are 9/10 times cringeworthy and annoying. The sex doesn't appeal to me, nor does what very little we know about her personality... Which is fine. So far we can only really like or dislike very superficial details such as design or surface aspects of their personality. I really like Hinoka based on what little we know, but my opinions are bound to shift drastically after we actually know something. I can end up hating Hinoka and loving Camilla after I get to know them.

Also @ mimgrim mimgrim while you are here, did you find anything conclusive about the state of the archer class? I as well saw that a thief seemed to be wielding a bow. I inclined to think to think archers would exist, and thieves and archers would probably share a branching promotion option. That said, I'm honestly not horribly opposed to the two classes being combined, as they are both generally strongest on the player phase. I like both classes a lot so it would probably make things easier for me.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I really hope Kamui doesn't have a bland personality, despite being customizable. Hopefully we can decide what his/her personality will be.
The idea of choosing a personality- or Kamui's personality being shaped by your choices throughout the game- sounds legitimately interesting.
More IF comics!

If I do the Hoshido path first, this is my headcanon. Well, except Archer Guy would be Random Hot Guy, naturally.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

Huh. The more you know!

Bonus: Kjelle's birthday is actually the second date of the original broadcast series of BSFE, as opposed to the first (28 September), making her technically another exception to the rule.

I wonder if there was any reasoning behind which child got which game. Lucina's is obvious (and I suspect that's where the idea came from in the first place), but the rest just seem to have been picked at random.

Shaymikyu

You can have more info about the characters here...

...and it seems like this character in particular is a guy. I think we have two Lucius in this game.

Eh, it's internet, anyway. Anyone can get creepy here because chances are that they are going to get away with it, unfortunately. (most of the time, anyway)
I doubt most would even think about voicing these opinions public irl.

I like blonde Marth more. I know I was into Marx, but this other guy reminds of Soren a bit too much, for some reason.
I think it must be his unamused expression.

Honestly, I think these designs are better than the ones in Awakening (barring some examplescoughrobincough)
So Lobster Lord is Kamui's blood brother? I didn't know if when he said "brother," he meant more figuratively as in from the same nation.

OH CRUD I FORGOT ABOUT THE ADORABLE MYRMIDON. Another point for Hoshido... Stop toying with my heart.

And Random Hot Guy remains a mystery.

On the fanservice topic- I'm indifferent to fanservice. I'd prefer my characters not fanservice-y and would love to see less fanservice-y girls, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

D

Deleted member

My opinion on fan service:
I am OK with it as long as it isn't shoved in my face often. For example, I am turned off by Dead or Alive because that series is full-on fan service galore...

If a character is intended to be fan service-y, I will be fine with them if they have actual character. Have the character be developed, have a backstory, or be well-liked. I like to evaluate characters as characters.

On the topic of fan service, I actually cringed when I saw Swimming Oil Shulk when he was confirmed.

Shaymikyu

My opinion on fan service:
I am OK with it as long as it isn't shoved in my face often. For example, I am turned off by Dead or Alive because that series is full-on fan service galore...

If a character is intended to be fan service-y, I will be fine with them if they have actual character. Have the character be developed, have a backstory, or be well-liked. I like to evaluate characters as characters.

On the topic of fan service, I actually cringed when I saw Swimming Oil Shulk when he was confirmed.
Dunban Shulk is superior.:cool:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
HELLO.

Maybe I'll be playing this FE: IF instead...

That being said, I'm not into major amounts of fanservice either. This isn't terrible. I've seen better, but I've seen worse. FAR worse.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Fanservice only gets annoying when there's too much of it and it's "in your face".

Weeman

Smash Crusader
You know i've always wondered why "fanservice" is called the way it is, i mean some people just look at whatever character that has a clear sex appeal and call it fanservice.
Kinda reminds me of people telling me that Kill La Kill was a bad anime because of the amount of fanservice it had, but considering the design choices for the character's outfits were like that from the beggining, before it even had many fans, i don't see how is it "FANservice".
At the end of the day it's no different than car companies using hot girls in car washes for commercials, the girls that start a round in boxing, or hot guys promoting tuxedos to name a few.
Just content creators and sellers using sex appeal in hope of getting an audience that likes it.
Somewhat cheap tactic that has been present in marketing since it was invented.

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Dunban Shulk is superior.:cool:
Of course Dunban Shulk can never achieve the superior looks of Dunban himself in Shulk's final smash. As for my opinion on fanservice, I really don't care about it as long as it isn't the main focus on whatever it's in, and it doesn't take up too much time.
You know i've always wondered why "fanservice" is called the way it is, i mean some people just look at whatever character that has a clear sex appeal and call it fanservice.
Kinda reminds me of people telling me that Kill La Kill was a bad anime because of the amount of fanservice it had, but considering the design choices for the character's outfits were like that from the beggining, before it even had many fans, i don't see how is it "FANservice".
At the end of the day it's no different than car companies using hot girls in car washes for commercials, the girls that start a round in boxing, or hot guys promoting tuxedos to name a few.
Just content creators and sellers using sex appeal in hope of getting an audience that likes it.
Somewhat cheap tactic that has been present in marketing since it was invented.
Wasn't a lot of the fan service in Kill La Kill kind of satirical in a way?

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Of course Dunban Shulk can never achieve the superior looks of Dunban himself in Shulk's final smash. As for my opinion on fanservice, I really don't care about it as long as it isn't the main focus on whatever it's in, and it doesn't take up too much time.
At least we'll have the Mii costumes... Seriously, even the female Miis rock it.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Wanted to share these cool-ass wallpapers I made with you guys! Feel free to use them as long as you give me credit! :substitute:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Wasn't a lot of the fan service in Kill La Kill kind of satirical in a way?
Yeah, i guess some people have just become too sensitive of it.
Kinda like people complaining about how Call of Duty or other military shooters are such cancer to gaming, only to sound even more obnoxious than the issues they complain about.

Shaymikyu

Dunban is either my second or third favourite character in Xenoblade Chronicles, he's just so cool.
I haven't played Xenoblade (yet- in 1-2 weeks depending on when my mom can deliver me my 3DS copy at school) and I already adore Dunban from what I've seen of him in SSB.

Hong

The Strongest
Another thing about fan service, or sex appeal in general, is if it's rampant enough in a product, you give an impression for who it's for. Like, you can have one of those anime games where woman's clothes sponateously bursts off of her body at a mere touch. It can end up being a really fun game, but some people can see the fan service and never experience it because of it. And I don't blame them, and think it's perfectly reasonable for them to dismiss that product.

From an actual game developer, my philosophy has been that your presentation can dictate who is welcome to play your game. Of course, anyone with money is welcome to play your game, but what impression do you give? If your product has sex as a selling feature, like Senran Kagura Burst, then you should aim to optimize this feature. On the other hand, if sex is not the main feature of a product, it is becoming less and less monetarily fruitful to try to have sexy designs in the sense that you have to ask yourself "Will making these designs sexy sell more copies than we'd lose if someone saw that?"

In the project I am involved with right now, I am very carefully monitoring this and trying to focus on having designs that have a diverse range of appeal. With how much has been changed since the inception it's looking like we are going to have two rather lavish looking characters at the end of things. They are not sexy because sexy sells, but because being sexy is a very delibaterate aspect of their design. Some people might buy the product because they like their sexy designs, but sexy designs in of themselves are not an aspect of the creative direction.

I'm still unsure on their intentions.

Is it because they went with Zero Suit Samus in shorts and they felt it was unfair to only have a female fan servicey character? I can't help but get this impression when Sakurai had to clarify that his "female artist" made it possible. I hope this it not the case; balancing fan service doesn't really get rid of fan service.

On the other hand, if just exists as a homage to a... rather memorable outfit in Xenoblade Chronicles, then it does not bother me so much. While some people like myself find it to be humourous, there are certainly fans who seem to find it a rather fetching outfit for Shulk.
Is that the Avatar in the middle?
Yes, that is Kamui, the avatar character of if.
*Cries for not having played Xenoblade yet*
View attachment 46289
Get to it, scrub.:4falcon:
FE 14 discussion?:happysheep:

*still salty that Japan gets it in June*
Sure.

What are you looking forward to most?

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Also Winamp has shuffled six Seisen no Keifu tracks in a row and I'm not even mad.

Top Bottom