• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
@ The Merc The Merc
For what it's worth, there's never a bad time to poke @ Wintropy Wintropy or @The Soulless One with a stick.
Ya! Pokes for everyone XD.

So keeping that emoticon.

I'm okay with it, I'll probably just purr and bat the stick with my tail.

Soulless, on the other hand, would likely rip out your jugular with his teeth and shove it back through your skull via your sinuses.
*pokes Wintropy again*

TSO would never hurt me.

Suppose the same can't be said for @ The Merc The Merc .:younglinkmelee:

Oh well. Didn't really want a son anyway TBH.
I was referring to Unknown Hero, yeah.

Pretty sure even ol' Soulless would draw the line at hurting you.

Maybe.

He'd probably kill me, though, but I'm okay with that~ :3
What, you guys serious? I can handle myself

Wait!

Young Link emoticon.png

Also Hong knows like, martial arts and stuff, so maiming her would be a bit of a challenge.

I'm still convinced that she gets into her bed like this:

Yeah, she probable does. I wouldn't mind if I could.

Dohhh, douche move @ Hong Hong

I thought you were his sworn protector? You have betrayed him! :surprised:
Betrayal at it's finest ;-;.

*cries to sleep*

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I really don't care for Captain Falcon one way or another.

Speaking of doctors, can we talk about how horrible of a doctor this man is:4drmario:?

He literally just chucks pills at you until the problem is solved, or you're dead.

TSO would never hurt me.

Suppose the same can't be said for @ The Merc The Merc .:younglinkmelee:

Very well Hong. I shall rise up as his sworn protector in your stead. From now on @ The Merc The Merc , your my internet son. :seuss:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm awake-ish now.

He literally just chucks pills at you until the problem is solved, or you're dead.
I mean, you're not sick anymore. Sounds like he solves the problem either way.

So since I got a good response last time, and in lieu of anywhere else to share it, I'mma drop this here.
Finally got a second to read it. Amazing stuff in here as ever, kudos.

View attachment 44153

This needs to become a emoticon on Smashboards.
Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

On the topic of Captain Falcon:
He's sexy in the same way newly forged steel is sexy, or a perfectly organized bookcase is sexy.
Editing is fun.

I agree with the points made, but I genuinely enjoy the character on his own merits. In Smash, he punches and kicks so hard that **** bursts into flame. Not because of magic, or whatever justification they give for Fire Fox/Bird, but presumably because he just punches that goddamn hard. In his own series, he's still a renowned and badass bounty hunter with a long list of enemies who unwinds by acing death machines at thousands of miles per hour and only stops racing them at home long enough to race them for cash or cap another ************.

I could get behind that in nearly any medium.

I can understand people who just know him from Smash liking him as a bit of an in-joke, though.

I decided to go with Paper Mario for my second game. I enjoyed playing it way back on the 64 and would like to play it again. As much as I'd like to try Punch Out, it's something that I feel like I'd drop pretty easily. That, and I remember seeing a copy of it in a this second hand store that I went to about a month ago (which also had a physical copy of FE7) Granted it could be gone by now, but if I really wanted to get it I could always run over there or buy it online.

I would've normally recommended Punch Out since I prioritize new experiences, but...

upload_2015-3-24_20-29-36.png

upload_2015-3-24_20-30-53.png

I don't think you could've gone wrong here.
Also you should probably go check that secondhand store.

I'm okay with it, I'll probably just purr and bat the stick with my tail.

Soulless, on the other hand, would likely rip out your jugular with his teeth and shove it back through your skull via your sinuses.
Interesting.

Imma go get two sticks. Science calls.

How I actually get into bed:

But I always put @ The Merc The Merc to bed first:
I should not be laughing this hard at work.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Does anyone here have any tips on fighting :4dedede:? In general, not necessarily as Robin in particular. Me trying to fight Dedede is like someone who's never played the game before - I was playing this guy online who was picking random characters in each match, and immediately picked up on how awful I am against Dedede, and stuck with him for all of the rest of the games we played. I didn't even take a single stock off him for three straight matches :\

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Does anyone here have any tips on fighting :4dedede:? In general, not necessarily as Robin in particular. Me trying to fight Dedede is like someone who's never played the game before - I was playing this guy online who was picking random characters in each match, and immediately picked up on how awful I am against Dedede, and stuck with him for all of the rest of the games we played. I didn't even take a single stock off him for three straight matches :\
I got a guy I can ask.

I'll get back with you on this.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Go do your chores.

And then go to bed because it's past your bedtime.

Watch your tongue, boy. :evil:

@ shrooby shrooby :4dedede:

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Definitely get EarthBound as it's by far one of the best RPGs that I have ever played (perhaps my third or fourth personal favorite RPG).
As for the second game, it really depends.
If you really loved Paper Mario, I say go for that. I mean, you can't complain about getting a nice RPG like that!
If you want a pretty rare download game or if you loved the Wii retail game, go for Doc Louis' Punch Out!!. It will probably be the last time you will ever get the game.
Did somebody say... EARTHBOUND!?
EarthBound is magical. You should go play it.

I still need to register some games while I'm home, but now I kind of want the second poster set... That Shulk poster man. I'll be bummed if I fall short.

If I fall short, I'll get Paper Mario and, if I have enough left for two games, most likely Golden Sun. But I want my Shulk poster.:(

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The NoE Stars Catalogue closing down sale just has loads of download codes on offer. It's mostly a mix of stuff I already have, and stuff I'm not that interested in, though. I think it's open until September or so though, so I've lots of time left to choose.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I, too, have an intense love / hate relationship with the good king. My tips in brief would be:

- DO NOT CHALLENGE HIS SMASHES. YOU WILL DIE. Let him use them if you're at a sufficient distance, and then punish the endlag. Never try to intercept them unless you have a potent long-range move, challenging them at close range is suicide.

- Likewise, DO NOT CHALLENGE HIM IN THE AIR. YOU WILL DIE. Unless you have god-tier aerials, chances are he's got better range, strength, speed and launch power than you do. Just stay out of his way until you're clear to him him again.

- Respect his space. He's big and heavy, but he's got decent range and some moves (jab, dash, u-tilt, n-air) come out quickly and can act as a devastating poke.

- Bait him into tossing Gordos and reflect them. A good Dedede will almost never do this, but if you're not fighting a good Dedede, then wait for the inevitable long-range Gordo and bounce it right back. Just don't get cocky. They hurt.

- Gimping is almost impossible unless you're Pit or Jigglypuff tier. He's heavy and has a multi-jump, not to mention an extremely high vertical recovery with super armour.

- Ranged options are your friend, provided you don't let him close the gap. His only ranged move is Gordo, which is pretty punishable in the right circumstances, and forcing him to make the approach can be worthwhile. If you don't have decent close-range / punish options, though, be very wary of letting him into your space. He can and will break through with Gordo, dash, up-b and aerials if he gets the chance, so keep him at bay and work towards getting the kill before he does.

- Dedede with rage is scary indeed. Try to KO him as quickly and efficiently as you can, but take care not to get reckless: Dedede thrives on punishment, and if you let him break you, he will make your life hell.

- Crouch is his best taunt. Do not forget this.

Time was I thought he was Pit's most abhorrent matchup, though playing a lot of good Dededes has made me somewhat more accustomed to the matchup. He's still an arse, of course, but he's an arse that can be tackled if you keep your head on straight and think things through before getting stuck in.

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I have 360 coins left but I'm not sure which nintendo reward to get, I only have a wii and 3ds so that cuts off the wii u options. I guess I could always pick up smash 64 but I'm honestly not that interested in it.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
+1 like for Psych

What exactly are the problems you're having?
Generally, I find people have trouble if they're not mindful of their spacing and effectively keeping Dedede at the space he struggles with. Which is inside the range of f-tilt, but out of grab range..
That can be an issue if you as a Robin player tend to use up your Arcfires quickly. Robin's best tool for controlling space in general is Arcfire. Once Arcfire, the best tool Robin has against Dedede, is gone, Dedede has much less trouble staying in the range he wants, which is outside of Robin's ground range but close enough to hit with jabs, ftilt, etc.

You couldn't have directed him towards the Dedede forum?
Come on, son. I'll take any activity I can get there. :4dedede:

Last edited:

BindingShield

Smash Journeyman
NNID
M2TheC
Dedede is actually one of my better match ups as Robin. Arcfire instantly reflects gordos, as does Elthunder in a pinch, so try to keep your charge just in case. He's really slow and has a large body so roll out of an attack and nosferatu works pretty well. Spamming standard thunder and the like works fairly well.
His long jab reach is an issue but that's just a matter of prediction. I found upsmash, or hop forward levin sword works fairly well against him once he's stunned. The trick with Dedede in my opinion is once you get him, you have to keep on going after him. Its sort of like going against a faster Ike.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Dedede is actually one of my better match ups as Robin. Arcfire instantly reflects gordos, as does Elthunder in a pinch, so try to keep your charge just in case. He's really slow and has a large body so roll out of an attack and nosferatu works pretty well. Spamming standard thunder and the like works fairly well.
His long jab reach is an issue but that's just a matter of prediction. I found upsmash, or hop forward levin sword works fairly well against him once he's stunned. The trick with Dedede in my opinion is once you get him, you have to keep on going after him. Its sort of like going against a faster Ike.
If you're gonna be wasting your tomes like that by spamming and reflecting Gordos, then you're in for a rough ride. At least, against a patient Dedede.
Unlike every other character with a projectile, Robin can't just spam and be happy.
I've fought Robin's before where I catch on to them being fine with spamming, so I just let them, and then punish them once they've run out of stuff. I don't fear a Robin who's out of Arcfire. Especially if they're also out of Thunder. 'Cause now I can comfortably make my way into the space I want and control it.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
What exactly are the problems you're having?
I'm not sure exactly, but I think a lot of it is getting around the hammer in order to actually get a hit in on him. Every time I try to get near him, he just does f-tilts or whatever enough to keep me out, and just generally seems to have an answer for everything I try to do to approach him.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm not sure exactly, but I think a lot of it is getting around the hammer in order to actually get a hit in on him. Every time I try to get near him, he just does f-tilts or whatever enough to keep me out, and just generally seems to have an answer for everything I try to do to approach him.
Your way of getting around the hammer is Arcfire.
Arcfire is your most effective tool in neutral. And you most effective tool in general. Once you get control of the stage, Dedede can have trouble getting it back because a Robin with all his tools available is good at zoning Dedede.

Just don't get too predictable with Arcfire. It's easy to avoid if you see it coming.

D

Deleted member

Dedede is pretty annoying sometimes to fight against. I don't hate him as a character though.

Also good evening fellow tacticians.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

BindingShield

Smash Journeyman
NNID
M2TheC
Okay, fine, My main point is that once you have DeDeDe, where you want him, its easy to follow up on him if you play your cards right. Generally, my main strategy is to run away from him till he makes a mistake then go after him. Prevent approaches with Arcfire, and if he's ever stunned charge like crazy with your smashes.
When he's hit with a reflected gordo, you get a strong opportunity to follow it up with an arcfire then Levin sword.
Sure with Robin you can't spam, but you can play the waiting game too. I find DeDeDe easy to nosferatu, making it easy to recover health if you're careful.
But of course this is me playing against my friend, who is fairly aggressive, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I genuinely enjoy the character on his own merits. In Smash, he punches and kicks so hard that **** bursts into flame. Not because of magic, or whatever justification they give for Fire Fox/Bird, but presumably because he just punches that goddamn hard. In his own series, he's still a renowned and badass bounty hunter with a long list of enemies who unwinds by acing death machines at thousands of miles per hour and only stops racing them at home long enough to race them for cash or cap another mother****er.

I prioritize new experiences
Now if we can just get a new freakin F-Zero game. :c It actually use to bother me quite a bit that Captain Falcon, in smash, is more popular then his own series, but what did I expect after over a decade without a new F-Zero installment? Besides, it keeps the memory of his franchise alive!

Same here.

I'm thinking about getting The Wonderful 101 > Super Mario 3D Land. Though, the only thing stopping me is the amount of space it would take on my system memory. Is it worth it? (Got 955 coins)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Now if we can just get a new freakin F-Zero game. :c It actually use to bother me quite a bit that Captain Falcon, in smash, is more popular then his own series, but what did I expect after over a decade without a new F-Zero installment? Besides, it keeps the memory of his franchise alive!

Same here.

I'm thinking about getting The Wonderful 101 > Super Mario 3D Land. Though, the only thing stopping me is the amount of space it would take on my system memory. Is it worth it? (Got 955 coins)
In my own, personal, opinion?

Hell yes.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I haven't fought a whole lot of Dedede's, let alone ones that gave me a really hard time. To be honest I can't help but laugh at his character just because of his expressions.

:4dedede:Seeing this face whether I win or lose just gives me a chuckle.

Good evening to you, how fares your day?

D

Deleted member

I haven't fought a whole lot of Dedede's, let alone ones that gave me a really hard time. To be honest I can't help but laugh at his character just because of his expressions.

:4dedede:Seeing this face whether I win or lose just gives me a chuckle.

Good evening to you, how fares your day?
My day, same as always and you?

I find Dedede somewhat adorable with his face expressions xD

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
My one bit on Dedede: Reflecting Gordos with bronze sword works in the lab. Nair timing is wonky but ftilt seems workable. Is that an option worth considering to bounce them?

Same here.

Amen brother. I might even get to play it if we get a new one. That said, if Smash is the only thing keeping the F-Zero memory alive it's at least doing it in the most awesome way possible.

Those two games I'd have a hard time choosing between. I heard 101 has a **** tutorial and presumably a higher learning curve, but is solid if you can get past that; meanwhile 3D Land is one of the better Mario games on the market at present, suffering mostly from oversaturation of Mario games in general. I think this one's up to you in the end.

Dedede is pretty annoying sometimes to fight against. I don't hate him as a character though.

Evenin.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
My day, same as always and you?

I find Dedede somewhat adorable with his face expressions xD
My day's been pretty usual.

Dedede is pretty entertaining even when getting hit :4dedede:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist

Same here.

Well when you got two racing series and one of them is selling gangbusters better than the other, it's somewhat understandable why Mario Kart gets more priority over F-Zero. Although it would be nice to get another game in the franchise simply to quell the masses. As for myself, I like the character Captain Falcon but I'm not a fan of the actual games besides from the music. Not my cup of tea unfortunately. :p

Also get The Wonderful 101 over Super Mario 3D Land. Both are fantastic games but The Wonderful 101 is simply sublime and must be experienced as least once. It's fresh, unique, extremely fun, full of humour, has over the top action and, of course, who could forget this majestic song....

Now that your my internet son, you will gain a small allowance which will be graciously provided by your previous internet parental guardian who so callously threw you to the wayside. Thanks Hong Hong ! :troll:

Good evening, Sanae. :kirby: Thank you for gracing us with your presence, m'lady.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Looks like it came off of a Santa costume.

Just ditched the belt and left it open.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If there's a choice between anything and The Wonderful 101, go for The Wonderful 101.

If it's a choice between obtaining all worldly knowledge, a winning personality, the individual of your dreams and a nice pair or socks or The Wonderful 101, go for The Wonderful 101.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I want that robe.
Oh, I totally agree.

...We're talking about Robin's robe, right? :p

If there's a choice between anything and The Wonderful 101, go for The Wonderful 101.

If it's a choice between obtaining all worldly knowledge, a winning personality, the individual of your dreams and a nice pair or socks or The Wonderful 101, go for The Wonderful 101.
What if you had to choose between The Wonderful 101, or having your favorite video game character in Smash?

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I for one am waiting for the day we can get a new console F-Zero and not all this fan service in Mario Kart 8...

Don't get me wrong I love the Mute City DLC and the Blue Falcon homage, but if anything this just shows that you can easily make a new F-Zero. Come on Nintendo I'd take this over a new Pokemon game, which coming from me who is a die hard Pokemon fan that's saying a lot.

Top Bottom