• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I just want to throw out there that I disagree with them using Tactician as her name.

It might be tempting to use the Villager argument against me, but the Villager never had a default name to begin with. Robin does. The Villager only works in favour of my argument, as they are not afraid of having to have to have so many different names for the Villagr across even the various European languages. AFAIK Robin has even fewer translated names.

Edit - To make my point, go onto the official page and use the language toggle at the bottom. Look at how Villager's name changes with each.
For me, I favor using the name because the character won't just represent Robin, but the Tactician role in the series. This of course assumes that the Tactician role would appear in future installments. Though that is quite possibly the case, it is not been shown that will be the direction of the series. You can even tie the role back to FE7's tactician.

so in SSB5, the character will be naned the Tactician still, but whatever design FE14 or FE15 uses. I wouldn't mind if the character was called Robin however.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just want to throw out there that I disagree with them using Tactician as her name.

It might be tempting to use the Villager argument against me, but the Villager never had a default name to begin with. Robin does. The Villager only works in favour of my argument, as they are not afraid of having to have to have so many different names for the Villagr across even the various European languages. AFAIK Robin has even fewer translated names.

Edit - To make my point, go onto the official page and use the language toggle at the bottom. Look at how Villager's name changes with each.
I agree with this sentiment; Robin is much more ideal. Honestly, the better comparison would be Red, they named him Pokemon Trainer to represent the player, but Robin is her own character. She has dialogue, and she has a personality (albeit an adjective would be "strategy" oddly enough).

Weeman

Smash Crusader

The only problem i see with that is that his/her default japanese name is My Unit, so i'm not sure if they would want to use that name. The advantage of tactician is that it can be translated to all languages (or at least the concept can), and might also open the door for future tacticians to become a staple in smash bros.

As for the concept i mentioned earlier, for example if you translate tactician to spanish it would end up being saying "Táctico" wich refers more tothe usage of tactics rather than a tactician itself, however the concept can still be translated by using the word "Estratega" wich means strategist but carries the same concept.
Edit: ignore this i done goofd

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
The only problem i see with that is that his/her default japanese name is My Unit, so i'm not sure if they would want to use that name.
I thought the default in Japan was Rufure, no?

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, I'd probably force myself to like Robin's play style regardless. As Robin is one of my most wanted characters, I'd just adapt to whatever he/she offers.
My thoughts verbatim, I care more about character loyalty than I do about the play-style, do not get me wrong. There are characters that I enjoy in regards to actually enjoying their character; however, I do not enjoy their play-style. An example would be King Dedede. But if it is a character that I really care about, I will just adapt to what they have to offer. I am an adamant believer that you can learn a character if you are dedicated. I will still main my current mains for the most part, but Robin will most likely be among them this time around.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Ignoring my earlier post when i done goofd, i still think tactician would be a good name, but Robin would be superior.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Precisely, if the character has a dedicated name, we might as well use it. Why use a title when they have a name? It seems counter-intuitive.
You are missing the reason why he must be called tactician.
So every FE character so far has had a three syllable chant, right?
"Marth Marth Marth!"
"We like Ike!"
"Roy's our boy!"
Now how would they pull it off for our hooded hero?
"Tac-tic-ian!"
That can work.
"Ro-bin-???"
Robin's name deconfirmed:troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Whatever happens, if Robin gets in he better be in his grandmaster armour. I don't see the point of doing another Ike where he needs to wait a game for his visual buff.
I mean no offense by this; however, I am not entirely fond of that concept. I would much rather her default tactician design as I am more attached to it. In fact, sometimes when I play, I want to reclass her backwards because the Grandmaster armor is a little too... well not attractive. But then again, I feel the same way about most classes. I am a default enthusiast, I suppose.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, in regards to the name, I think there is merit to Tactician being used. This is mostly because Robin him/herself is more than likely going to be a one time character, someone we probably won't see again in Fire Emblem. However, the concept of a tactician is a recurring concept that we are very likely to see return. It opens up the possibility of making Robin into something akin to a recurring character, even if Robin him/herself is not actually recurring. I still prefer the name Robin, but I think Tactician is a viable alternative.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well Ike's redesign is based off Radiant Dawn, but it's still his default class design. So i don't see why would Robin not keep his iconic robe.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am sure that you guys have already discussed this; but I saw it in the character discussion thread and figured I would post it just in case.

http://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/27kv15/asked_matt_mercer_the_voice_actor_of_chrom_if_he/

That is just one more thing in Robin's favor.
I heard Lucario's voice actor was returning.

It may not mean a whole lot, but it's something.

Edit: Actually, a bit of research shows that the voice actor for Lucario in Smash (both in Brawl and now in this installment) is also the voice of Lucario in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. So they went out of their way to have Lucario's Smash voice match up with what his most iconic voice was. It's interesting because apparently, Chrom's voice actor has not even been contacted. Granted, he probably wouldn't be allowed to say anything on the matter if he actually was, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Pls Wendee Lee Senpai. Be the morning sun to vanquish the Matthew Mercer night.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I am sure that you guys have already discussed this; but I saw it in the character discussion thread and figured I would post it just in case.

http://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/27kv15/asked_matt_mercer_the_voice_actor_of_chrom_if_he/

That is just one more thing in Robin's favor.
We'll just have to see if David Vincent, Brandon Karrer, Christopher Corey Smith, Michelle Ruff and Wendee Lee (all the VAs for Robin) have made any implications towards being in SSB4.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

Morbi

Scavenger
Normally I don't celebrate when a character's chances are hurt. But this is a special occasion; yay!
I would not celebrate just yet, this only confirms what I already suspected; however, Lucina might still, unfortunately, be an obstacle. Other than that, I am ecstatic. This was the best news I have gotten all day, it might not mean anything, but I am going into e3 with a very optimistic attitude.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I would not celebrate just yet, this only confirms what I already suspected; however, Lucina might still, unfortunately, be an obstacle. Other than that, I am ecstatic. This was the best news I have gotten all day, it might not mean anything, but I am going into e3 with a very optimistic attitude.
I'd be just fine with Lucina as she would be different enough for me.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't really think this changes anything. Matthew Mercer is used to giving this response.

That said, I also don't think Chrom's chances were as definitive as people make them out to be.

I think his most likely appearance will be as an Assist Trophy duo with Lucina, and they'll recycle voice lines from Awakening.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm not worried about Lucina at all, really. Unlike Chrom and Robin, it can't be claimed that she is one of the main characters. She's definitely one of the most important ones, but she's also definitely a step behind Chrom and Robin. She's kind of the third most important character in Awakening. I don't think they'd choose anything less than one of the main characters for Smash, really.

Though she would be better than Chrom.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'd be fine with Lucina (or Anna) over Robin, so I'm going optimistic mode anyway. Chrom was my next-to-worst case scenario (with worst being no third FE rep), so I'm happy he's (seemingly) out.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd be fine with Lucina (or Anna) over Robin, so I'm going optimistic mode anyway. Chrom was my next-to-worst case scenario (with worst being no third FE rep), so I'm happy he's (seemingly) out.
I am going to be content with whichever Fire Emblem reveal we receive, it does not really matter to me. I am actually a Chrom supporter myself; however, I prefer Robin.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It... doesn't necessarily mean much, but it could mean something. He could be lying to preserve his NDA, or he may not have an NDA at all. I'd think he would say "I'm sorry I can't talk about jobs I work on" if he was actually in or something, but that said, it could just as easily be him lying to preserve his NDA. It likely all depends on the person involved.

Its similar to the issue with Snake, as well. "I'm not working on that game, as far as I'm aware Snake isn't in the game. But if Mr. Sakurai is reading this: please use Snake!" Or something like that.

In my opinion, both point towards said character not being playable... however, it does not inherently mean much. Both could be lying, or one could be telling the truth and the other lying, its hard to say.

And again I repeat myself: If they just want a character who is between Ike and Marth, they might as well bring Roy back. Roy was the only other cut Melee character (other than Mewtwo) who was seriously felt as a loss by a lot of people. No one cared about Pichu being dropped and barely anyone cared about Young Link (since Toon Link is basically a new version of him), and Dr. Mario most never really considered a valid contender. Roy and Mewtwo were greatly missed after being cut, though. Who knows? We might have four FE characters (kinda doubt it, though).

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I am going to be content with whichever Fire Emblem reveal we receive, it does not really matter to me. I am actually a Chrom supporter myself; however, I prefer Robin.
Despite the fact I put him near the bottom, I'd be fine with Chrom as well. Just, like I said, prefer the alternatives.

Morbi

Scavenger
It... doesn't necessarily mean much, but it could mean something. He could be lying to preserve his NDA, or he may not have an NDA at all. I'd think he would say "I'm sorry I can't talk about jobs I work on" if he was actually in or something, but that said, it could just as easily be him lying to preserve his NDA. It likely all depends on the person involved.

Its similar to the issue with Snake, as well. "I'm not working on that game, as far as I'm aware Snake isn't in the game. But if Mr. Sakurai is reading this: please use Snake!" Or something like that.

In my opinion, both point towards said character not being playable... however, it does not inherently mean much. Both could be lying, or one could be telling the truth and the other lying, its hard to say.

And again I repeat myself: If they just want a character who is between Ike and Marth, they might as well bring Roy back. Roy was the only other cut Melee character (other than Mewtwo) who was seriously felt as a loss by a lot of people. No one cared about Pichu being dropped and barely anyone cared about Young Link (since Toon Link is basically a new version of him), and Dr. Mario most never really considered a valid contender. Roy and Mewtwo were greatly missed after being cut, though. Who knows? We might have four FE characters (kinda doubt it, though).
No, it depends on the non-disclosure agreement. As I asserted in the other thread, under most circumstances, dishonesty under an NDA is just as bad as revealing something.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm not worried about Lucina at all, really. Unlike Chrom and Robin, it can't be claimed that she is one of the main characters. She's definitely one of the most important ones, but she's also definitely a step behind Chrom and Robin. She's kind of the third most important character in Awakening. I don't think they'd choose anything less than one of the main characters for Smash, really.

Though she would be better than Chrom.
Better chance of Lucina appearing than, oh, I don't know... Greninja? ◔ᴗ◔

I still think Lucina is a 100% legitimate choice, and the main character thing is moot for a number of reasons. She is still a core protagonist. She has the favour of both fans and the developer alike... more than Robin. I mean, Ike, while a main character, was chosen over a variety of other main characters who could have done just fine, largely because that is how IS had seen fit.

That said, I think Robin is more likely than Lucina, but for none of the reasons you suggested. It's because Robin is also a main character, and she is inherently more unique from the existing cast.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Better chance of Lucina appearing than, oh, I don't know... Greninja? ◔ᴗ◔

I still think Lucina is a 100% legitimate choice, and the main character thing is moot for a number of reasons. She is still a core protagonist. She has the favour of both fans and the developer alike... more than Robin. I mean, Ike, while a main character, was chosen over a variety of other main characters who could have done just fine, largely because that is how IS had seen fit.

That said, I think Robin is more likely than Lucina, but for none of the reasons you suggested. It's because Robin is also a main character, and she is inherently more unique from the existing cast.
Well, Pokemon is kind of it's own situation entirely when it comes to characters.

I don't mean to say Lucina is impossible as a character choice, but I just find her rather unlikely. Though, in regards to Ike, wasn't he the definitive main character of Path of Radiance? I haven't played the game myself yet, but from everything I've seen and read about the game, he's the most prominent character in it, and the one who the game follows for the most part.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
You are missing the reason why he must be called tactician.
So every FE character so far has had a three syllable chant, right?
"Marth Marth Marth!"
"We like Ike!"
"Roy's our boy!"
Now how would they pull it off for our hooded hero?
"Tac-tic-ian!"
That can work.
"Ro-bin-???"
Robin's name deconfirmed:troll:
"Go Ro-bin!"
You're welcome.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Also, in terms of Matthew Mercer's comment, I don't think it means too much. "Lying to protect NDA" is a very real possibility.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Honestly, I wish Robin was the only one without a chant involving her name, it should just be... "Tip the scales!' If I heard that being chanted in the background, I would play my little heart out.
For whatever reason, I just had the idea that the chants for individual characters would consist of voices of characters from their own games...

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
There's also still the chance they'll just reuse the lines from Awakening. It's small, but we can't rule it out entirely.

Morbi

Scavenger
He would of said "I'm not allowed to talk about that" or something I think
Indeed. There are multiple ways, and those that are used to dealing with non-disclosure agreements are aware of them.
1. Ambiguity: Your statement has multiple meanings.
2. Ambiguity: Your statement does not assert anything definitive.
3. Question Avoidance: Answer the question with tact, or do not address the prominent issue.
4. Blatantly Disregard the Question: One of the most common examples.

I will; however, state that if he did violate the NDA, there would be no civil suit as he did not violate the NDA in a harmful way. So it is still possible that he is being dishonest. I just fail to see why he would when you have so many other options. Better safe, than sorry.

Top Bottom