• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, it depends on the non-disclosure agreement. As I asserted in the other thread, under most circumstances, dishonesty under an NDA is just as bad as revealing something.
Yeah, I was thinking this to be a real possibility. Under most circumstances, I'd think they'd simply flat out say "I'm not allowed to talk about that." But I don't want to get my hopes up on this. According to my wife, when Tales of Symphonia Chronicles was leaked, the game director denied knowing it existed. So its still a real possibility people are lying. I doubt that to be the case here, but it is possible.

There's also still the chance they'll just reuse the lines from Awakening. It's small, but we can't rule it out entirely.
This I highly doubt. Ike had brand new lines for Smash Bros., and I don't see how that would work for Chrom not to get brand new lines himself, either.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There's also still the chance they'll just reuse the lines from Awakening. It's small, but we can't rule it out entirely.
It's possible, but I would say that it's a very small possibility. There's definitely a lot of voice acting for Chrom in Awakening, but is there really enough to fit onto an entire character, complete with taunts, a Final Smash, and victory scenes?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Then again, they could always hire new voice actors, so it's not a deciding factor.

Hong

The Strongest
A bit late, but just going to point out that Smash Bros has had two syllable crowd chants prior. Falco, for example. (◡‿◡✿)

Faaaaaaaalco~
Faaaaaaaalco~
Well, Pokemon is kind of it's own situation entirely when it comes to characters.

I don't mean to say Lucina is impossible as a character choice, but I just find her rather unlikely. Though, in regards to Ike, wasn't he the definitive main character of Path of Radiance? I haven't played the game myself yet, but from everything I've seen and read about the game, he's the most prominent character in it, and the one who the game follows for the most part.
What I mean to say is there were plenty of characters who they could have chosen.

Eirika and Ephraim debuted within a year of Ike.
Micaiah was the newest character.
Of course, they could have just kept Roy, or even had a character from Blazing Sword.

But they CHOSE Ike. Even though his game had abysmal commercial success, he was adored by fans and the developers alike... much like Lucina. Lucina, who has a game less than Ike, but had a bit more screen time in Awakening than Ike did in Radiant Dawn.

Morbi

Scavenger
No, but i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
Of course not. I see where you are coming from, I was just wondering if an instance of this has ever occurred. I am glad that it has not as past tendencies are a good indicator of future behavior.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
It's possible, but I would say that it's a very small possibility. There's definitely a lot of voice acting for Chrom in Awakening, but is there really enough to fit onto an entire character, complete with taunts, a Final Smash, and victory scenes?
Taunt: "Have another!", assorted grunts or "Anything can change!"
Final Smash: Either "Anything can change!" or "Now I'm angry!"
Victory: Pretty much everything that went unused from taunts.

I'm probably overseeing a lot here. I'm also not saying that it's likely, just that it's not out of the question entirely.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Of course not. I see where you are coming from, I was just wondering if an instance of this has ever occurred. I am glad that it has not as past tendencies are a good indicator of future behavior.
I agree with this sentiment, every evidence in Robin's favor fills my heart with rainbows.

Hong

The Strongest
Ha ha.

Come on, folks. They have recycled sounds from Smash games, but I think Nintendo should be getting a little more credit than you folks are giving them right now.

Matthew Mercer is a prolific guy that loves what he does and would be itching to reprise his roll as Chrom again. If they are willing to get over 30 VAs for Fire Emblem: Awakening, a product they expect to ship 300k units of, they are okay with recording new lines for Smash Bros. I promise.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
@reusing clips. I don't know jack about VA semantics. Wouldn't they still have to contact Matt to use his voice clips? Or were they owned by Nintendo as soon as he finished recording for Awakening?

Not that it matters much. I find it quite unlikely that they wouldn't get him to record new lines if Chrom was in Smash.

Hong

The Strongest
Monday's update:
Pic of the day. Q: "Is that the Falchion?" A: "Yes, indeed, that is the Falchion." The sword from Fire Emblem is now an item. It's a powerful melee weapon, and is rumoured to have once been used to banish the Fel Dragon Grima.

General Forum Responses: RIP CHROM
Robin supporters: YES
Chrom supporter: Um, hello? That's a DIFFERENT FALCHION! Marth has one, too! This means nothing!

This is the song that never ends~

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It really depresses me when I hear that the Tellius games sold like crap. I love the Tellius games the most.

Oh, yeah, and on that note, I definitely think if Chrom is in the game they'd bring his voice actor back to record new lines. Ike's voice actor was brought back to record new lines for Brawl, I don't see why it'd be any different for Chrom. That leaves the only question as: is Matthew Mercer lying?

I don't know. Heck, its incredibly possible that Chrom is even in the game and has new lines but he just isn't playable. We'll see. I'm still hoping for Robin, though I'd take a number of characters over Chrom.

Hong

The Strongest
Matthew Mercer? What's going on?
Someone asked him if Nintendo has contacted him to reprise his roll as Chrom, and said no.

Because obviously he would say "I can't answer that." and completely give away that he has been involved with a project that has one of the strictest NDAs in game development history.:troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Someone asked him if Nintendo has contacted him to reprise his roll as Chrom, and said no.

Because obviously he would say "I can't answer that." and completely give away that he has been involved with a project that has one of the strictest NDAs in game development history.:troll:
Dunno. It depends on the contract. His answer obviously can't be used against Chrom's inclusion because we can't tell if he's lying or not. It does help work against Chrom, but only ever so slightly.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I agree with this sentiment, every evidence in Robin's favor fills my heart with rainbows.
You could say... It tips the scales?
Rainbow coloured scales.

Honestly you guys are looking into the VA thing way too much I.M.O. xD
Nothing about it can really conclude it one way or the other due to an NDA.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You have to think that

every character people could conceive would be in Smash Bros

who has an appended or known voice actor

has probably dealt with dozens or maybe even hundreds of emails and people asking the same question every time they go to a convention

You really don't think that Nintendo hasn't considered this, especially after the Brawl days, and have disclosed how to respond in the event that not only is someone so naive to ask, but you, as a professional, renowned voice actor, should know how to respond? Isn't that such an obvious countermeasure?

That is why it is so ridiculous.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Chances are Matt Mercer is lying, and since Chrom will most likely make some sort of appearance (assist trophy hopefully), I hope he is lying. Chrom's voice is sexy. I could listen to it all day. :p

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Chances are Matt Mercer is lying, and since Chrom will most likely make some sort of appearance (assist trophy hopefully), I hope he is lying. Chrom's voice is sexy. I could listen to it all day. :p
I am also attracted to Mercer's voice, I am also certain that he is lying... but at the same time, I can only hope that he is being honest. Because... well you know, Robin for Smash.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Ah Matthew Mercer...If he was 20 years younger and not married, I would glomp him without a second thought.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Robin definitely edges out Lucina and Chrom because of the character's uniqueness in comparison two the FE characters we have revealed so far.

For the name thing, I understand Hong's and MorbidAltruism's reasoning, but my main thing personally is that being the Tactician would make Robin (the SSB4 version) a more timeless character. Another solution would be to "Link" the tactician role the to default Robin name in the newly revealed FE14, and every FE game after. This would have the same effect for me.

Also, there would be alternate skins for the new FE14 design, as well as FE7's tactician in my ideal version.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think NOA was "ready" back when they conceived Mark, anyways. They have learned A LOT since thne. They made tons of localization blunders, and honestly they still do, but they're getting better. Robin being a standard name could be a thing. If not, even in future Smash Bros games, they could keep Robin just as they have kept Ike.
I hope he is lying. Chrom's voice is sexy. I could listen to it all day. :p
Matthew Mercer voice pack DLC for the announcer?:troll:
Ah Matthew Mercer...If he was 20 years younger and not married, I would glomp him without a second thought.
Something something men are like fine wine.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think NOA was "ready" back when they conceived Mark, anyways. They have learned A LOT since thne. They made tons of localization blunders, and honestly they still do, but they're getting better. Robin being a standard name could be a thing. If not, even in future Smash Bros games, they could keep Robin just as they have kept Ike.Matthew Mercer voice pack DLC for the announcer?:troll:Something something men are like fine wine.
My guess is, even if new Tacticians have new names, "Robin" will still keep the same name and just have the design updated to the newer game. If they planned to add new customizable Tacticians in the future, though, regardless, Robin would be far more of a "timeless" character than Chrom would.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, if Mercer (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) is lying about Chrom's inclusion,

then at least we now know Chrom's Final Smash.
I think we can at least guarantee he's making that Final Smash part up. I mean, they would never make Chrom's Final Smash a confession of love...

...Right?

Hong

The Strongest
Colour palettes!

Default (black and purple)
Red (enemy unit colour)
Blue (friendly unit colour)
Green (neutral unit colour)
Lavender (Katarina)

Any other ideas?

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Colour palettes!

Default (black and purple)
Red (enemy unit colour)
Blue (friendly unit colour)
Green (neutral unit colour)
Lavender (Katarina)

Any other ideas?
You are my savior.

Black and red (Grima)
Brown/Green (Mark)

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Do you have any ideas?
Go go E3 hype train..?

In all seriousness if Robin WERE announced how would people think the cinematic would go that would represent Robin?

I've kind of pictured it as a quick glimpse at a book page flipping over (with the hand that turns the page included in the shot) and on it you see the CGI Marth/Ike in an arena, it zooms into the book to show it from their perspectives and against them of course is the more popular Nintendo IPs (Link/Mario/Kirby and such). As per usual Marth/Ike head towards them to engage in combat and as they begin to engage in fighting a part of Robin's robe is visible behind Mario and such in a flanking position (from the perspective of Ike/Marth) and they all pause for a moment when they hear "Check Mate!". From that point on you would get the "Robin Tips the Scales!" splash screen followed by a showing of the actual gameplay.

I hope I described it well enough. :psycho:

EDIT: The voice would obviously have to be for the 'default' gender but I would imagine both genders would be options in-game.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
There's no way Sakurai would miss an opportunity to troll people. So if Robin were in, you'd probably see Marth and Ike fighting, and then another sword would clash with theirs. Marth and Ike both look over, shocked, everyone expects Chrom or Lucina, and BAM! Robin with a sword! S/he quickly puts it away and pulls out a tome.

Hong

The Strongest
There's no way Sakurai would miss an opportunity to troll people. So if Robin were in, you'd probably see Marth and Ike fighting, and then another sword would clash with theirs. Marth and Ike both look over, shocked, everyone expects Chrom or Lucina, and BAM! A hooded figure with a sword! She quickly puts it away to discard the Tactician's cloak to reveal

ANNA

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Moveset potential
His B attack in my eyes should be his most important magic attack. Thunder would act like a straightforward electric projectile. Robin would was his hand for a second and fire a string of electricity. The attack goes for infinite and does 9%. It would KO at around 190%.
The Side B would be a little different.
Sol would be a situational attack where Avatar jumps forward and slashes forward, and does a random amount of damage, from 6% to 24%. The attack would do low knock back. The attack also heals Avatar by half the damage done.
The Up B would have a similar animation to Blazer, and the move is
Vantage. The move would act like a slower Blazer, multi-hit, upwards trajectory, etc. The difference is it has Transcendent priority... x2. It out prioritizes everything in the game. From Meta Knight to some Final Smashes. One of Robin's more useful moves. 12%
The Down B would be Counter. Nothing new here though.
The Final Smash would be The
Thunder Knife. He uses this to murder Chrom. Robin would rush forward, at around the speed of light. Upon contact with anyone, it OHKOs them. Just does 80% and death. :cyclops:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
There's no way Sakurai would miss an opportunity to troll people. So if Robin were in, you'd probably see Marth and Ike fighting, and then another sword would clash with theirs. Marth and Ike both look over, shocked, everyone expects Chrom or Lucina, and BAM! Robin with a sword! S/he quickly puts it away and pulls out a tome.
Err... well Chrom/Lucina would most likely have Falchion and Robin wouldn't. I think that would give it a way a little.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
There's no way Sakurai would miss an opportunity to troll people. So if Robin were in, you'd probably see Marth and Ike fighting, and then another sword would clash with theirs. Marth and Ike both look over, shocked, everyone expects Chrom or Lucina, and BAM! A hooded figure with a sword! She quickly puts it away to discard the Tactician's cloak to reveal

THE GIRL FROM STYLE SAVVY!

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Moveset potential
His B attack in my eyes should be his most important magic attack. Thunder would act like a straightforward electric projectile. Robin would was his hand for a second and fire a string of electricity. The attack goes for infinite and does 9%. It would KO at around 190%.
The Side B would be a little different.
Sol would be a situational attack where Avatar jumps forward and slashes forward, and does a random amount of damage, from 6% to 24%. The attack would do low knock back. The attack also heals Avatar by half the damage done.
The Up B would have a similar animation to Blazer, and the move is
Vantage. The move would act like a slower Blazer, multi-hit, upwards trajectory, etc. The difference is it has Transcendent priority... x2. It out prioritizes everything in the game. From Meta Knight to some Final Smashes. One of Robin's more useful moves. 12%
The Down B would be Counter. Nothing new here though.
The Final Smash would be The
Thunder Knife. He uses this to murder Chrom. Robin would rush forward, at around the speed of light. Upon contact with anyone, it OHKOs them. Just does 80% and death. :cyclops:
Interesting!

Just wanted to point out that it seems like they are taking RNG out of character movesets this time. So perhaps instead of Sol having a random damage amount, perhaps it is a charged move you can store?

@ GuyWithTheFace GuyWithTheFace
I wouldn't even be mad. No, seriously. That would be one of the most hilarious things he could do.

Still a better character than Chrom.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I wouldn't even be mad. No, seriously. That would be one of the most hilarious things he could do.

Still a better character than Chrom.
I honestly think Style Savvy Girl could be interesting as hell.

I mean seriously. She'd fight using FASHION!

Fabulous!

Top Bottom