• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not necessarily envision Robin as a pure mage either, she has "warrior" aspects for a reason. She is proficient in swordplay and magic. I would like to see her specials predominately utilize magic though.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I do not necessarily envision Robin as a pure mage either, she has "warrior" aspects for a reason. She is proficient in swordplay and magic. I would like to see her specials predominately utilize magic though.
The most I want is her having the ability to size up the opponent, maybe predict the input they may do. It would be a good gimmick.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't envision robing being purely magical. Robin will have enough magic from using, well, magic. The sword should represent the physical side Robin has. And my idea with Brave sword would actually fit in with the tactical side anyway since it will come down to which attack is best to cancel into, and just comboing in general.
While I do agree, I really want Robin to play similar to Snake. Having good close game, but can lay traps around and throw his enemies into them. That's where his tacticalness comes into play. His swordplay is still good, but he uses the Magic of his Levin Sword to help him.

I really like the dynamic of Marth = Agility, Ike = Power, Robin = Intelligence. So I want their playstyles to reflect that.

Well yeah, but it's super uggos.

Just look at it.

You would expect Robin to cover it with poison and grow a curly moustache just from holding it.
I think that it looks a lot better in game and only looks evil because of the thick lines. I think it is the most recognizable sword in the game because of how unique it is, so I believe it is a great fit.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Pretty much this. My idea has all specials as magical along with most aerials, all but Nair. Ground attacks are purely physical.

Making the specials have trap like properties and the magical aerials be projectiles also help to make my Robin very unique and give the needed flare.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I am not quite sure how that would work, but I like the idea; could you perhaps provide me with an example?
Example: A close to you Mario has all of his standards as stale. Your percent is in kill range. Upon activation, a box in a corner will show all the viable inputs the Mario should-could do.

Hong

The Strongest
While I do agree, I really want Robin to play similar to Snake. Having good close game, but can lay traps around and throw his enemies into them. That's where his tacticalness comes into play. His swordplay is still good, but he uses the Magic of his Levin Sword to help him.

I really like the dynamic of Marth = Agility, Ike = Power, Robin = Intelligence. So I want their playstyles to reflect that.
I think we all agree that Robin should be a tactical character.
I think that it looks a lot better in game and only looks evil because of the thick lines. I think it is the most recognizable sword in the game because of how unique it is, so I believe it is a great fit.
Really? I thought the official art made it look less ugly. :/

Want to know what else has a unique design? The bronze sword. ◔ᴗ◔

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Example: A close to you Mario has all of his standards as stale. Your percent is in kill range. Upon activation, a box in a corner will show all the viable inputs the Mario should-could do.
Not really sure how that would work. I thought it was something like a move that is specifically made for countering tech rolls. Like if you hold left you always get the person at the exact right time once they were done tech rolling.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I feel that a good moveset for Robin would be a mix between Hong's or GamerGuy09's moveset with Patchouli Knowledge from the Touhou fighting games (that was the best gameplay video i could find that also shows off what I think would be a good B up at 1:46, a wind based attack that simply pushes opponents away and does no damage while pushing robin upwards) basically a trapper that uses elements in some attacks and whacks her opponents with a tome for physical attacks.
However I haven't even played a Fire Emblem game so I'm not really the most qualified person to be voicing my opinion on this.

Morbi

Scavenger
An interesting concept; I will admit. However, I believe that it would be more manageable if whenever an attack whiffs (or projectiles) that the percentage it would have done is highlighted above the characters head. That could be an interesting gimmick that does not really influence her game-play drastically.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I feel that a good moveset for Robin would be a mix between Hong's or GamerGuy09's moveset with Patchouli Knowledge from the Touhou fighting games (that was the best gameplay video i could find that also shows off what I think would be a good B up at 1:46, a wind based attack that simply pushes opponents away and does no damage while pushing robin upwards) basically a trapper that uses elements in some attacks and whacks her opponents with a tome for physical attacks.
However I haven't even played a Fire Emblem game so I'm not really the most qualified person to be voicing my opinion on this.
So it is kind of like mine? Mine creates a wind tunnel that deals slight damage because it is frozen. I want to know what is your thought's on what I changed about Robin's side special. A laser that goes though terrain and players that deals decent damage, however it has little to no knock back. It would have a wind-up animation so you would know when Robin is about to cast it. A small one though, like maybe 20% shorter than the Falcon Punch wind up.

Also you don't actually hit people with the books in any fire emblem game. They are just the ways to create the spells. That's why Robin is so good because he has a sword to do close range attacks.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I wonder if it's possible if what I currently have down for what I think Robin should play like to get added to the OP.

Then again, it is far from being fully developed. I'm at a ****ing roadblock for the Uspecial x_x.

Morbi

Scavenger
So it is kind of like mine? Mine creates a wind tunnel that deals slight damage because it is frozen. I want to know what is your thought's on what I changed about Robin's side special. A laser that goes though terrain and players that deals decent damage, however it has little to no knock back. It would have a wind-up animation so you would know when Robin is about to cast it. A small one though, like maybe 20% shorter than the Falcon Punch wind up.

Also you don't actually hit people with the books in any fire emblem game. They are just the ways to create the spells. That's why Robin is so good because he has a sword to do close range attacks.
I actually would not mind if Robin just pulled out a tome and smacked someone across the face with it.

Hong

The Strongest
Thanks for shariing that! Yeah, she seems to have a lot of the ideas we have conceived. Envisioned something aesthetically similar to that for her recovery, only with green winds to be more Fire Emblemy.
You'd be surprised.

Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros are mostly made up, since they largely have the same repetitive and basic attack animations. Aside from working with fire, thunder, and wind, you don't need to know a lot to have a character true to the series. Don't get me wrong, the attack animations sometimes are inspired by things, but usually loosely.
This is true, but I fully advocate the idea of Robin whacking stuff with her tome. You don't do that in Fire Emblem for the same reason why only one game has had you whacking stuff with staves... unit actions are very static and fixated, but in the cutscenes you can have Chrom giving bodychecks and stuff.

Book attacks are highly encouraged, and I would not be at all surprised if that's what we get. Sakurai goes with very immediate details of characters.
I wonder if it's possible if what I currently have down for what I think Robin should play like to get added to the OP.

Then again, it is far from being fully developed. I'm at a ****ing roadblock for the Uspecial x_x.
You are over-thinking it. e3 will be here soon!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I have an idea... wind magic. :awesome:

But seriously though, perhaps you should just contemplate another side-special so that you have an easier time implementing an up-special... with wind magic.

Hong

The Strongest
Story of my life.

What was wrong with the ideas I gave you, hmm? They were both tactical and original. Are they not good enough?
.・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Also you don't actually hit people with the books in any fire emblem game.
This should really be implemented, though. When the magic runs out, the tome could just be used to hit for a little damage.

I'm thinking of updating my Robin moveset; I should really try to do it before E3.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
What was wrong with the ideas I gave you, hmm? They were both tactical and original. Are they not good enough?
.・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.
Well partly I really want it to be my idea in the long run. But I really liked your idea of leaving a trail of magic, which is definitely going to be in it. I'm just not sure on how I want it to work as a recovery. I want it to be something with lightning but all I can think of are things that are somewhat similar to preexisting moves.

Luminario

Smash Lord

i do quite like your B up but mine was thought up as a means of edgeguarding. since the wind pushing the opponents away doesnt hurt them then they can't use their own B up to recover again and it might push them far enough away from the ledge that they cant grab it. Your B side is also pretty good as well as the start up for it so that it wont be spammed on big stages that much and can be punished if it isn't used strategically.
I know that they don't literally whack enemies with the books in the game but it'll be pretty funny if they did that in Smash

Hong

The Strongest
Well partly I really want it to be my idea in the long run. But I really liked your idea of leaving a trail of magic, which is definitely going to be in it. I'm just not sure on how I want it to work as a recovery. I want it to be something with lightning but all I can think of are things that are somewhat similar to preexisting moves.
There's nothing in the game that turns you into lightning and sends you into the sky, off screen, to come crashing down again.

I know you compared it to Pikachu's Thunder, but the intent and function is drastically different.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
i do quite like your B up but mine was thought up as a means of edgeguarding. since the wind pushing the opponents away doesnt hurt them then they can't use their own B up to recover again and it might push them far enough away from the ledge that they cant grab it. Your B side is also pretty good as well as the start up for it so that it wont be spammed on big stages that much and can be punished if it isn't used strategically.
I know that they don't literally whack enemies with the books in the game but it'll be pretty funny if they did that in Smash
I kind of incorporated your idea into mine except with it blowing your enemies sideways, it pushes them down. Kind of like a F.L.O.O.D. that shoots downwards while in the air.

I also changed a lot of other things to, like adding more Ice attacks and added stats and taunts.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
There's nothing in the game that turns you into lightning and sends you into the sky, off screen, to come crashing down again.

I know you compared it to Pikachu's Thunder, but the intent and function is drastically different.
I thought I compared my idea to Pikachu's Quick Attack. Robin getting covered in lighting and zipping zapping like Pikachu does with Quick Attack but slower, shorter, stronger, and leaving a trail of thunder, based on the trajectory, for a certain amount of time.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I kind of incorporated your idea into mine except with it blowing your enemies sideways, it pushes them down. Kind of like a F.L.O.O.D. that shoots downwards while in the air.

I also changed a lot of other things to, like adding more Ice attacks and added stats and taunts.
yay, people like my moveset ideas~
downwards would probably work better than sideways for edgeguarding. I have no idea what the stats mean but either tome or sword with attributes works well. i especially like the idea of using the sword imbued with different elements for different attacks, reminds me of the spellblade jobs from bravely default and final fantasy.

I thought I compared my idea to Pikachu's Quick Attack. Robin getting covered in lighting and zipping zapping like Pikachu does with Quick Attack but slower, shorter, stronger, and leaving a trail of thunder, based on the trajectory, for a certain amount of time.
What about a special that moves her along like Lucas' B up when he gets hit by his own PK thunder (dragging opponents along with him as opposed to Ness') and at the end she creates a field of electricity around herself before freefalling? she could leave a trail of electricity with the beginning part of it

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How would you guys feel if Robin & Chrom were like an Ice Climbers like character that you switch between on the fly? It would make reference to the pairing system that was in Awakening?

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
How would you guys feel if Robin & Chrom were like an Ice Climbers like character that you switch between on the fly? It would make reference to the pairing system that was in Awakening?
I think this has been proposed a lot in the past, but with transforming characters gone ("People should only learn one moveset per character" - Sakurai) I hightly started to doubt it.
However, there could still be a possibility for a Robin/Chrom Team-up: One where the team-up is mostly cosmetic. One of the two is on the battlefield and the other one in the background, similiar to Pokémon Trainer. The specific moves are always perfomed by the same character, maybe with slightly changed effects based on weither the character was currently on the battlefield or on the sidelines, and switching is done by perfoming that character's attacks.
I actually quite like that idea now that I think about it, but I'd still rather see Robin alone because of all the potential he/she has and have the team-up be represented by a special counter or something.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I like the idea because it invites a timing-based combo system unlike anything we have seen, but I severely doubt we will see it this time based on the developer's concerns for the technical limitations of the 3DS.
E3 will be here soon. That said, I wouldn't expect any FE newcomer there but at a later point pre-release.
Oh? You don't think the reveal of Ike, the Fire Emblem stage, and the impending SMTxFE are not setting the stage for a Fire Emblem extravaganza at e3?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Oh? You don't think the reveal of Ike, the Fire Emblem stage, and the impending SMTxFE are not setting the stage for a Fire Emblem extravaganza at e3?
No. We're probably getting Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Miis and some random surprise character as far as I see.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
No. We're probably getting Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Miis and some random surprise character as far as I see.
Diskun is the one I want. Also, if Miis come into the battle, I'm not going to be a happy camper.
As far as Robin getting confirmed at E3, I honestly do not believe so. Maybe a bit afterwards, but if a Fire Emblem rep be revealed, it's going to be Chrom or Anna

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
As far as Robin getting confirmed at E3, I honestly do not believe so. Maybe a bit afterwards, but if a Fire Emblem rep be revealed, it's going to be Chrom or Anna
Yeah, I can see why you would think that. However, on the other hand, since Robin is a main character from the extremely popular and successful Fire Emblem Awakening, and since we've seen weirder characters revealed at E3, I think it's very possible for Robin to show up there.Though I do think that Robin would be a good secret character if they decide not to reveal him/her at E3.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I can see why you would think that. However, on the other hand, since Robin is a main character from the extremely popular and successful Fire Emblem Awakening, and since we've seen weirder characters revealed at E3, I think it's very possible for Robin to show up there.Though I do think that Robin would be a good secret character if they decide not to reveal him/her at E3.
And it would make sense that she would be secret because I imagine Robin would consider such an "ambush" a favorable strategy to use on the masses. :awesome:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Will there even be "secret" characters this time around? I don't remember how it was in Brawl, since we Euros had to wait several months after the US release until we got the game, and by then, every character was well known.

At first I thought the cinematics every new character got where a clue against it, but then I realized that the cinematics may just play once you unlock the characters or once you get the chance to unlock them. Though I don't know if there's enough space on the 3DS cartidges for numerous cinematics or if we'll even have to unlock any characters at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Will there even be "secret" character this time around? I don't remember how it was in Brawl, since we Euros had to wait several months after the US release until we got the game, and by then, every character was well known.

At first I thought the cinematics every new character got where a clue against it, but then I realize that the cinematics may just play once you unlock the characters or once you get the chance to unlock them. Though I don't know if there's enough space on the 3DS cartidges for numerous cinematics or if we'll even have to unlock any characters at all.
There was a total of 12 characters who were unlockable in Brawl who had had no mention whatsoever prior to the Japanese (First) release.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So, what's your logic behind this?
I expect mainly the more iconic characters possible or the more surprising characters to be shown off. Mewtwo, Pac-Man and Miis are all iconic characters and thus are notable enough that they make sense to be shown off at a big event like E3. Surprising and some of the more obscure characters would make sense to throw in alongside them as curveballs.

This can be seen at E3 2013. We got Mega Man and the Villager, both iconic characters representing iconic franchises and then we had WFT, a curveball character.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I expect mainly the more iconic characters possible or the more surprising characters to be shown off. Mewtwo, Pac-Man and Miis are all iconic characters and thus are notable enough that they make sense to be shown off at a big event like E3. Surprising and some of the more obscure characters would make sense to throw in alongside them as curveballs.

This can be seen at E3 2013. We got Mega Man and the Villager, both iconic characters representing iconic franchises and then we had WFT, a curveball character.
Could Robin be considered a curveball character, though?

Top Bottom