• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. Ness is somewhat quicker than Robin at running, and has those lovely PK Fire combos, such as we do Arcfire combos; not to mention, dat backthrow.
They do have some notable similarities, after all: Arcfire/Pk Fire, a healing move, projectiles, and lots of kill moves. Not to mention they're both magic/psychic RPG protagonists.

But Robin's cooler.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Finally had a decent :4robinf: vs :4robinm: match online. The mind games in that match up is real yo. Knowing when to chuck arcfire and what level of thunder to use, or approach became a mini-game in it of itself. It was great.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Is it just me, or do a lot of Robin players also enjoy playing as Ness?
That's because Ness is the best.

In all seriousness, part of the reason I gravitated to Robin was that certain aspects of her made me think of Lucas. Arcfire acting like PK Fire, Nosferatu sort of being like PSI Magnet, something about the Levin Sword makes me think of Lucas' smashes... So it'd make sense I'd like Ness too, since he absorbed aspects of Lucas and is the character Lucas took moves from in the first place.
They do have some notable similarities, after all: Arcfire/Pk Fire, a healing move, projectiles, and lots of kill moves. Not to mention they're both magic/psychic RPG protagonists.

But Robin's cooler.
I am inclined to agree. In fact, I think I like Robin more than Lucas.

Moral of the story- your main being cut isn't the end of the world.

I still miss PK Thunder Smash Ball sniping and prefer Luca's final smash (and Ness's new version) to Chrom the Hard-To-Aim, though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I can only hope you people with 10-15 characters listed don't try to play that many in tournament.

You know who I play in Smash 4? Casuals or tournament, it's :4robinf: alone.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I can only hope you people with 10-15 characters listed don't try to play that many in tournament.

Words of wisdom, indeed.

It's certainly possible to play multiple characters at once, but by doing so, you're forced to distribute time and practice to each of them, increasing the number of characters you can play, but lowering your overall skill level with those characters. It's a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.

That's partially why I haven't explored many characters outside of Robin myself; becoming the best Robin player I can be is my top priority. Anything else will have to wait.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how has playing as Robin (and exclusively Robin) in tournaments worked out for you so far?

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how has playing as Robin (and exclusively Robin) in tournaments worked out for you so far?
Well, for the most part.

First event we had was a round robin where I didn't drop a set. I credit that mostly to having an extra 2 weeks with the game, since I imported, but nobody else in my region did.

Second event was also round robin. I got second at that one, dropping a set only to our Diddy player. (I was lacking experience with the matchup at that point).

Third event was a ~30-man Double-elim bracket. Lost to Croi's Lucario in Winner's (he went on to get 1st), and to our Shaft (the Diddy) in Loser's to get 4th place.

4th was a house tournament at my place on an early Wii U copy Croi obtained through Nintendo of Canada. Got 2nd of 8, losing to Croi twice.

5th event (launch tournament) I got.... 4th again, I think. Lost to Croi in Winner's bracket (he won the tournament), then to Drake, who plays ROB/Rosalina (this was pre-nerf), in loser's bracket.

Overall, I haven't found a match-up yet that I think we can't win. I've beaten our Sheik/Mii Brawler player both times I've played him, though one was a ****-up on his part. Diddy I think is doable, but extremely difficult.

Losing to Croi frequently irks me, because the matches are always close and I know I can win, but Lucario is extremely frustrating to fight. He and I were frequently in Grand Finals in our Brawl metagame (playing Marth vs. Wario), so I doesn't surprise me that our rivalry has continued like it has.

That said, I'm confident Robin can be solo mained. Sheik and Diddy are the major roadblocks that you HAVE to learn, but once you've done that I think she's completely viable.

As it stands, I have made a commitment to myself to stay 100% Robin until at minimum the end of February before I consider exploring other characters for tournament play. I have no plans to break that commitment.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Overall, I haven't found a match-up yet that I think we can't win. I've beaten our Sheik/Mii Brawler player both times I've played him, though one was a ****-up on his part. Diddy I think is doable, but extremely difficult.

Losing to Croi frequently irks me, because the matches are always close and I know I can win, but Lucario is extremely frustrating to fight. He and I were frequently in Grand Finals in our Brawl metagame (playing Marth vs. Wario), so I doesn't surprise me that our rivalry has continued like it has.

That said, I'm confident Robin can be solo mained. Sheik and Diddy are the major roadblocks that you HAVE to learn, but once you've done that I think she's completely viable.

As it stands, I have made a commitment to myself to stay 100% Robin until at minimum the end of February before I consider exploring other characters for tournament play. I have no plans to break that commitment.

That's good to hear.

In regards to Robin having no impossible match-ups, I have to agree. In my (admittedly limited) competitive experience with Robin, there have been plenty of times when I went up against a character that seemed nearly impossible to beat at first. Of course, learning the match-up is key; once you understand how a certain character works, it's just a matter of reading their movements and acting accordingly. What sets Robin apart in this regard is just how versatile he/she is; with a wide variety of projectiles, traps, good punishing moves and the like, Robin has the tools to handle a plethora of different match-ups. Of course, some match-ups are more favorable than others (big, slow characters are typically easier for Robin to handle than small, swift characters), but I don't think any of them are completely hopeless for Robin. And of course, there's still so much for us to learn about this game and its characters. For a complex character like Robin, there's plenty of potential for new tactics that can even the odds of those match-ups.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I completely agree. I always felt that people kind of exaggerated the Robin and Sheik match-up, especially during the first month of the game. I mean, it's still an annoying match-up, but nowhere near bad as some people were making it. Now with the patch, Sheik takes EVEN LONGER to ko so the match-up is very doable as long as Robin is patient.

Diddy, however, is a problem but that is probably a match-up that will just take a bit longer to learn for many players. Besides, Diddy is a major roadblock for most characters overall so its not like that's a problem unique to Robin.

Shaymikyu

I have yet to participate in a serious tournament, but when I fight more seriously and not for kicks, it's pretty much solely :4robinf: and maybe sometimes :4zss:.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
So I just got back from a little local Smash 4 tourney and got 3rd place with solo :4robinf:

I'm really happy because this is by far the best I've ever placed in any Smash game ever, and I did it with my Robin no less. A couple of my sets actually got recorded, so once they come up online I'll post them on these boards so you guys can look over what I can improve on. I know I screwed up on several things, but it's just stuff I need to work on to improve myself. Despite me choking in Losers Finals, I'm still super happy with how I played, though next time I'm gonna do better.

Turnout was only 21 people with a 2$ entry fee, but actually making it to Winner's Finals made me really proud of myself. Hot damn I don't care if this was a small thing, I feel so hyped for making top three.

D

Deleted member

This is a random request, but those who main Robin as well, if anyone is up for this, will you fight level 9 CPU Marth in a 2 stock match and post your results?

I'm more or less curious how other people fair as Robin against this CPU as he's given me issues since launch. The CPU that is.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

But Robin's cooler.
How interesting as this reminds me of meeting one very good Smash-player who I lost to a lot until getting my cool back and we had Ness VS Robin-face off. The player attempted to use PSI Magnet to absorb Robin's spells, which I actually started to fake out to use in order to gain an edge. Worked pretty well. (PSI Magnet -> Dash Attack).

Mind you, she was very good.
Finally had a decent :4robinf: vs :4robinm: match online. The mind games in that match up is real yo. Knowing when to chuck arcfire and what level of thunder to use, or approach became a mini-game in it of itself. It was great.
Oh man, these matches can be intense. I still won last two of these however, but it was quite close match.

Also I got a Marth-Amiibo~

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
How interesting as this reminds me of meeting one very good Smash-player who I lost to a lot until getting my cool back and we had Ness VS Robin-face off. The player attempted to use PSI Magnet to absorb Robin's spells, which I actually started to fake out to use in order to gain an edge. Worked pretty well. (PSI Magnet -> Dash Attack).

Mind you, she was very good.

Oh man, these matches can be intense. I still won last two of these however, but it was quite close match.

Also I got a Marth-Amiibo~
I have a Marth amiibo too! I named it not Lucina

CitationNeeded

Smash Rookie
NNID
CitationNeeded
3DS FC
0447-6550-2679
This is a random request, but those who main Robin as well, if anyone is up for this, will you fight level 9 CPU Marth in a 2 stock match and post your results?

I'm more or less curious how other people fair as Robin against this CPU as he's given me issues since launch. The CPU that is.
Playing on 3DS version as I have no Wii U yet. I beat him 2 KOs to 1 on Battlefield. I dealt 276 damage to his 193.

CPU suddenly got a lot better after KOing him once, I absolutely bodied him on the first stock and he performed a lot better thereafter.

Characters with counters are BS to fight as high-level CPUs anyways, they blatantly input read with their perfect counter timing.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Easy victory. Didn't lose a stock, only took about 30%.

CPU's aren't very difficult for me to deal with. They don't compare to actual human players.

D

Deleted member

Easy victory. Didn't lose a stock, only took about 30%.

CPU's aren't very difficult for me to deal with. They don't compare to actual human players.
This.

Once you get used to how the computer's algorithm functions, they're quite easy to beat. If you don't go 100% aggressive all the time it's pretty simple because a lot of how a computer wins is by using the inhuman reactions it can pull in response to your actions.

One time I started a match against a level 9 Greninja, for the first 30 seconds I didn't move and the computer sat at the other end of the stage trying to hit me with uncharged Water Shurikens, which expired before they reached me.

In fact if you just sit and watch a computer, a lot of CPU's do some sort of Double Jump Dair or other predictable approach, if they have projectiles they will typically spam them.

Because they have some algorithm that they have to follow it becomes quite easy to predict them.

For example at low percents, 95% of the time if I attempt to connect with Link's first jab, the computer will shield and attempt to roll behind me, at which point they eat an Up Tilt.

Also I find it very easy to edgeguard them.

I typically don't lose a stock if I'm playing against a CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I just played a For Glory match against a Ganondorf player. I completely prevented him from approaching with Arcfire and Thunder spells. He only hit me once.

Robin can be really good against big, slow characters like that.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Bruce Lee ftw.

I can't limit myself to one at any time, as I enjoy having a few more movee than 'punches', but for the time, I'm only sticking with :4robinm: , :4ness: , and :4luigi: .

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428

If I'm playing 100% serious, it's Robin all the way. Unless I feel like I might be able to trip up my enemy by switching to another character, but that's rarely the case. :4robinm:

Currently have a leek and cheese soup cooking on the stove. :3
No that's no inuendo or anything, I'm just really looking forward to it. :4shulk:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I played a few For Glory matches just now.

Robin is still a boss, and Luigi just got promoted to No. 1 Troll with Roll -> Super Jump Shoruken.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
:3

Well in my case, :4sonic: is for nostalgia and when I really want to keep going in tournament plus pride after people kept asking where my Sonic was, :4jigglypuff: is for those with very obvious patterns and I just want the satisfaction of killing at 40%, and :4darkpit: is because my alterego is secretly actually Nairo, honest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, Wii U CPUs are for some reason a lot more crafty than the ones on 3DS.
Yeah, like I've only played the demo of 3DS but I still haven't and I tested them out and they are pretty ruthless by comparison on Wii U. Haha.

The characters with counter on Level 9 CPU on Wii U tend to time that counter so expertly you have to really avoid melee attacks unless there is a real opening cause they process that the second you hit the C stick.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, like I've only played the demo of 3DS but I still haven't and I tested them out and they are pretty ruthless by comparison on Wii U. Haha.
The characters with counter on Level 9 CPU on Wii U tend to time that counter so expertly you have to really avoid melee attacks unless there is a real opening cause they process that the second you hit the C stick.
Not to mention they never die in Team Battles.

"ComputerSHARE STOCKDefeated"

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

So, I'm going through more characters as I work on the All Star trophies, and while some have surprised me (:4mario: and :4jigglypuff:), :4robinf: and :4zss: remain at the top without a second thought. I just feel so natural with both. Both have a nice range of projectiles and physical attacks. :4robinf: has more projectiles, but :4zss: is so quick it makes up for it. If I had to choose only one, though? :4robinf:, of course.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Anyone know where I can get a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles? I want to gift it this Christmas.

Top Bottom