• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
By the way, has anyone tried 8 player smash with other people yet? I'm gonna visit some buddies during the Thanksgiving holidays and 8-player smash is on the agenda so I was wondering what a good, fun rule set would be. I'm actually thinking time may be the way to go instead of the usual stocks since I can imagine the painful wait for those who get out earlier, especially if one of the remaining players is this one jack*** camping in the corner charging thoron. *whistles innocently*

The goal, by the way, is to ko everyone at the same time with thoron. Pray that my blatantly obvious tactic will work.

Hong

The Strongest
By the way, has anyone tried 8 player smash with other people yet?
Been doing 4v4 a lot. We also tried 8-player FFA, 2v2v2v2, 5v3, and other variants.

Keep in mind we do teams with competitive ruleset, so friendly fire is on. As such, Thoron is restricted to edgeguarding and sky sniping. If you use it anywhere near ground level, you are always going to hit a teammate. In general, Robin doesn't seem to be very good for squads. Best asset she has is picking people off with LS uair or throwing Arcfire onto the ledge from time to time.

Needless to say, but Thoron is hilarious in an 8-player FFA. She also seems great for doubles. Will try her out some more in the future.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Been doing 4v4 a lot. We also tried 8-player FFA, 2v2v2v2, 5v3, and other variants.

Keep in mind we do teams with competitive ruleset, so friendly fire is on. As such, Thoron is restricted to edgeguarding and sky sniping. If you use it anywhere near ground level, you are always going to hit a teammate. In general, Robin doesn't seem to be very good for squads. Best asset she has is picking people off with LS uair or throwing Arcfire onto the ledge from time to time.

Needless to say, but Thoron is hilarious in an 8-player FFA. She also seems great for doubles. Will try her out some more in the future.
Haven't you ever been curious as to how your friends would react when you suddenly fire a Thoron straight at theme? I bet it would be hilarious :laugh:.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP

Yeah, I specifically did have 8-player FFA in mind although if we did try out teams, friendly fire would be on. If we were playing squads, I'd probably opt to go Shulk instead of Robin for the reasons you mentioned.

Hong

The Strongest
Haven't you ever been curious as to how your friends would react when you suddenly fire a Thoron straight at theme? I bet it would be hilarious :laugh:.
In all my years of Melee doubles, eventually I have formed a bond with a teammate to the point where, when I have an opportunity to hit the enemy but my partner is too close, my partner will shield. Perhaps, someday, we can have a team with so much synergy that they will all know to shield when Robin throws out Thoron. Bonus points if you have a Ness or G&W to pick some of it up at the other side. Even better if you can reflect it back at Robin from the other edge of the stage, and then either Robin avoids it someone else can reflect it again.

That's if squads ever becomes a staple. So far it seems a bit too silly.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I see no reason why 4 vs 4 can't be competitive and in tournaments. There was 4 vs 4 last night at KTAR XI and as far as I'm aware, there were no problems. Honestly, I think the issue is that a lot of people have trouble moving on and trying new things such as custom moves and 4 vs 4. Neither have blatantly obvious problems. inb4 i get slammed for this

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I see no reason why 4 vs 4 can't be competitive and in tournaments. There was 4 vs 4 last night at KTAR XI and as far as I'm aware, there were no problems. Honestly, I think the issue is that a lot of people have trouble moving on and trying new things such as custom moves and 4 vs 4. Neither have blatantly obvious problems. inb4 i get slammed for this
I see a problem with custom specials as there are just too many combinations to take into account, 4 v 4 however is what I believe will keep this game alive in the tournament scene if and when it takes off.

Pikachewy99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PikachewySAC
3DS FC
4270-1328-9930

I… My friend linked me this gif and I couldn't stop laughing. It's not Robin, but it was too funny to pass off without sharing it with you guys.

I thought I posted this earlier, but I got caught up in FE:A. Whoops.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Can't say that I think it will ever be more than a side event tbh. But hey, I'd love to be wrong. Also, that one temple round was kind of silly....but incredibly hilarious to watch.

As for custom specials, I think they're great and I have yet to see one that just flats out break the game. The main problem with them for major Wii U tournaments, unfortunately, is that they're a massive pain to unlock. Heck, I remember spending 2 hours just getting all of Robin's specials with the home screen glitch because I kept getting distant nosferatu. Why Sakurai and his team would add something that could potentially add a lot of depth to the game but then make it impossible to unlock all of them without spending an exorbitant amount of time is beyond me but whatever. Enough complaining from me, especially since Robin's defaults are still good.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I see a problem with custom specials as there are just too many combinations to take into account, 4 v 4 however is what I believe will keep this game alive in the tournament scene if and when it takes off.
Mmm, that is a possibility I didn't consider. Maybe tournaments could allow something like the standard specials and then the other custom specials that are decided as the characters best? 4 vs 4 in tournaments looks really fun too.

I… My friend linked me this gif and I couldn't stop laughing. It's not Robin, but it was too funny to pass off without sharing it with you guys.

I SAW THAT EARLIER AND I DIED. Something else I found: some guy on Miiverse got a messed up copy of Smash Wii U where the characters don't load correctly:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
KTAR XI was actually almost a complete wash as far Smash 4 went. The attendees and stream had very mixed responses.

In the short term, we want to be able to facilitate just being able to setup squads. People are new to it so of course they are going to mess up, so setup time took FOREVER every time people have to move to another system. We also need to either always have a bigger monitor than a typical setup, or two monitors, something we still need to get better at.

In the long term, we are hoping we can even keep Smash 4 a thing three-or-four years down the road. If Smash 4 stagnates, it will result in subsets of gameplay being reduced. At the bare minimum I hope, if this is the case, we can keep doubles going. If we can continue to propel the values of team play in Smash 4, squads can hopefully still be a thing. Players have vague interest in squads, and attendees and viewers are seeming to enjoy Smash 4 doubles or Melee a lot more. Could be because everyone sucks at Smash 4 right now. The general opinion with Smash 4 among the better players is that there is tighter visible skill discrepancy between players as a possible cause.

Aside from setup concerns, there is also the matter of stages. For all the variety in team compositions we can have, we're going to have abysmal stage selection. Temple was a huge flop, for instance, for all the reasons that were to be expected. It's hard enough to keep people actually fighting each other in Smash 4. We're very likely to boil down squads to being limited to BBF and FD.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

BWHAHAHAHA :joyful:.

God that is HILARIOUS. Seriously, I was really sick of the whole Peach flirting with Link thing. Good on you Zelda, you tell the princess to be Peachy somewhere else (though I guess Zelda doesn't give Link much sugar, huh :chuckle:)

Speak of Zelda, Pikachey99, how did you know that I would love that Zelda book and Link hat that you did on my avatar draw? Cause their AWESOME :grin:)

...I didn't need sleep tonight anyway.
Tell that to @ Weeman Weeman avatar :glare:. Stupid FNAF, I hate for scaring me, go burn with Sonic 06

Mmm, that is a possibility I didn't consider. Maybe tournaments could allow something like the standard specials and then the other custom specials that are decided as the characters best? 4 vs 4 in tournaments looks really fun too.

I SAW THAT EARLIER AND I DIED. Something else I found: some guy on Miiverse got a messed up copy of Smash Wii U where the characters don't load correctly:

Reminds me of Mario's face from Super Mario 64.

@ Kenith Kenith is going to hate me for this. :joyful:
Yeah, he might. Just make sure you have some C4 ready.

Hong

The Strongest

Every yes I have for this comic.

Like, come on, guys. I'm pretty sure you could take out an untrained Cleric if she is standing in the way.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

Thats what inbreeding will do, you think all those Yoshis come from nowhere?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
love doing that in the small fortresses of the GBA game, unlike those reinforcements that just get over your units and can wreck them afterwards :v
also, Smash Tour looks...really bad, if they didn't make a stage unlockable that way, I'm sure everyone would only touch it once to see how it is and cringe in horror

Hong

The Strongest
I actually enjoyed a 25-turn Smash Tour by focusing on strategy. You always just assume the worst possible outcome whenever RNG is involved, much like you would with Fire Emblem, and it's not so bad. Also, whenever you lose a fight, it's important not to overreact, since fighter counts can fluctuate so drastically. Playing with human players, it has actually been effective to just focus on items, boosts, and events.

Lost a few battles, but never a board, with this mentality.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I actually enjoyed a 25-turn Smash Tour by focusing on strategy. You always just assume the worst possible outcome whenever RNG is involved, much like you would with Fire Emblem, and it's not so bad. Also, whenever you lose a fight, it's important not to overreact, since fighter counts can fluctuate so drastically. Playing with human players, it has actually been effective to just focus on items, boosts, and events.

Lost a few battles, but never a board, with this mentality.
Ya know what's funny? I find Classic Mode super-exploitable through this sort of method. Most of the time I just don't do anything which renders the opponent try to get either close (in hilarious twitched A.I-way) and me just going for items or letting other CPUs pelt each other until they die due killing each other outright or by the stage hazards. It's hilarious.

Mostly the true fighting I do is in Master Core-fights (which have become piss-easy now because knowing their patterns - now I just need to execute them flawlessly throughout the entire match.)

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
you need to play all 3 boards to unlock Pac-Land
Is that the same Pac Man stage as in the 3DS one? I can definitely live without it.
You don't have to win, though. Good thing too, because that's not something you can plan for ever.
Reminds me of the challenges centered around Smash Run. I struggle to win it, and the idea of doing it with every character is practically impossible.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Sounds familiar.

@Brawler610
Aside from a cheap laugh, that video reminded me how good Mario Strikers Charged OST is...
Or how awesome the game is in general.
Great, now I'm sitting here hoping for a Mario Smash Football 3. Featuring ALL the Smash Bros fighters.

Ok, that may be dreaming a bit big.
I only need one of them. :4robinm:
Featuring
as a field player.

Top Bottom