• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Stocks in this game aren't as long as they were on average in Brawl, but there's enough situations where they ARE.

3 stocks is probably the most we can comfortably play. 2 Stock is only a thing because Sakurai made it a thing, of course.
It is certainly largely based on who is participating. Imagine if Little Mac was the standard in which all characters were designed, with strong offensive attributes but a fast fall speed and poor recovery.

On this tangent, this is why Villager is my main. Her kit allows her to have 100% consequence-free aggression at all times, so I'm ALWAYS going in.:107: The matches end quickly for one side or the other.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
>Fought a Little Mac on For Glory
>Arcfire
>Arcthunder
>Levin Fair offstage
>Read airdodge
>Elwind meteor
>SD Card can't record anymore replays
>mfw

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Thanks again @ Raziek Raziek . With your advice and the replays I saved, hopefully I'll get better.

Any specific suggestions for training mode?

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Training mode? Only really necessary to learn your spacings and whatnot.

Everything else can be learned and applied in actual matches.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Except getting your Elwind reflected from a Fox Below and Killing youFUUUUUJDHVBJHDSVBJHDSBVJHSDBJHVS

Pikachewy99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PikachewySAC
3DS FC
4270-1328-9930
Ah. I see. Well, if any of you are ever looking for some Robin dittos/friendlies to play, I'd be happy to!
I'm not always open though, but I'd like to fight some other Robin mains to learn. :p

though I'll get shrekt by most people woops

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
they wouldn't be so bad if they didn't feel so generic, the changes they make don't really feel all that interesting, they are definitely my least favorite of the Pokemon stages.
It'd be cool if Colisseum had some mechanic trying to resemble more the purpose of its location, like, if a player beats a certain character, they get an item as a reward (just...don't make it as unbalanced as in WarioWare)
Yeah, the stage on its own isn't a bad one to play on. I played on PS1 in Melee a ton. It's just insanely generic. A franchise spanning six regions, many colorful locations all varied and with tons of ideas, plus a ton of spin-offs with their own worlds, and they just pull out a generic stage that the closest ties to the games they are representing is arguably the fact that there are two games called Pokémon Stadium, and even THEY had cooler fields that could be stages (seriously, PS2 has some cool stages)? It'd be like representing Mario with just a grassy field with maybe an occasional Goomba and calling it "Mario Land."

And Challenges. Don't forget the Challenges.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If you could pick one character to complement Robin as a main, who would it be?

I went with Ness. While Robin is more of a trap/defensive/forced reaction fighter, and Ness is aggressive, both fall fast and have floaty jumps.

Not to mention Arcfire and PK Fire are similar.

Shaymikyu

I went with Ness. While Robin is more of a trap/defensive/forced reaction fighter, and Ness is aggressive, both fall fast and have floaty jumps.

That's a tough question. ZSS is currently listed as my secondary, but I still question her. Ness is close to my Brawl main Lucas, but he ISN'T Lucas. Duck Hunt and WFT tend to fluctuate between good and meh for me.

I'll go with ZSS for now. She's more nimble than Robin, and a bit more physical. If Lucas gets DLC (even as a Ness alt), he'll likely take her place, though.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Probably Sonic. He embraces full physical footsies action to contrast Robin's slow-and-steady approach.

If we're not talking about opposites, then the two Pits also feel like they complement Robin. They all want to play at arms length and all have meaty damage outputs when they get one hit in and take charge, but while Robin takes it one piece at a time, the two Pits just string everything together all at once.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
@ Raziek Raziek

So, you're willing to take requests for vs. matches? If so, would it be possible to arrange a time for me to have a battle against you? I want to get good with Robin, but I'm afraid I still have much to learn, and I think playing against someone like you could aid me.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
@ Raziek Raziek

So, you're willing to take requests for vs. matches? If so, would it be possible to arrange a time for me to have a battle against you? I want to get good with Robin, but I'm afraid I still have much to learn, and I think playing against someone like you could aid me.
He's on Skype.

I played him today... he's very good at what he does. I learned of many flaws in my logic and playstyle.
I'm just glad I passed his "For Glory Scrub" test. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

I not really sure. I would say Link, but that's probable me being bias. Though they are both very projectile and zoning orientated characters.....hm.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
@ Raziek Raziek

Yeah, for sure. Not tonight though, I've played a lot today already. Just add me on Skype.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist

Well this could just pure bias, but I think Lucina compliments Robin's play style. Lucina is a much more aggressive character, at least that's how I use her, and she can quickly rack up some serious damage if you know how to use her properly, while Robin traps and forces a fighter to react or move. There are others such as ZSS that come to mind, but I feel that Robin and Lucina would make a great team given they're strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Well this could just pure bias, but I think Lucina compliments Robin's play style. Lucina is a much more aggressive character, at least that's how I use her, and she can quickly rack up some serious damage if you know how to use her properly, while Robin traps and forces a fighter to react or move. There are others such as ZSS that come to mind, but I feel that Robin and Lucina would make a great team given they're strengths and weaknesses.
Off-topic, but I love your new icon so much. I might be biased, though. I don't think I've ever seen that fan art of him before.

And I can't believe I forgot Lucina. She's close to ZSS, too. I'd have to play both more to figure out who I'm better with, though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My love of Ness may mar my judgment too.

At least I have a beneficial bias.

I suppose R.O.B could be used in conjunction with Robin too!

Shaymikyu

My love of Ness may mar my judgment too.

At least I have a beneficial bias.

I suppose R.O.B could be used in conjunction with Robin too!
Ness is awesome. He's pretty high up on my favorites, too. Also, he has one of my favorite stages (aside from the Flying Man gimmick, while awesome and clever, sometimes ruining fights).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That is not news. It is still pretty rough, though.
The part that gets me is what the evil stepsisters do to fit into the slipper. Ugh...
That's not the half of it. Ol' Cinderella also had two bird that plucked out the same stepsisters eyes latter.

But "The Children who Played at Slaughter"... :4alph:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Off-topic, but I love your new icon so much. I might be biased, though. I don't think I've ever seen that fan art of him before.

And I can't believe I forgot Lucina. She's close to ZSS, too. I'd have to play both more to figure out who I'm better with, though.
Oh, well thank you so much! #^w^# While were on the subject of complimenting each other's avatars, I love yours as well! <3 Robin with glasses is truly incredible and is something I wish was in Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's also very fitting for both the male and female versions cause they're both pretty nerdy in some respects. As for my avatar, I believe it was created very recently, so that's probably why you haven't seen it until now.

Haha, it's all good! ^_^ Yeah, ZSS and Lucina are very similar in various aspects that's for sure. I look forward to your findings in regards to finding out who your better with. For myself, I've put more time in Lucina so I'm more proficient with her, but I'm also rather competent with ZSS as well, albeit still a bit rusty. I'm sure if I gave ZSS more time, she would would rival my Lucina.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've never seriously considered what kind of player I fall into regarding character archetypes, but some of my favorite fighters in this game so far are Charizard, Bowser, Little Mac, R.O.B., Robin, and Duck Hunt. Moreso just Bowser and Charizard, because zoning characters aren't working very well for me in the 3DS version, and Little Mac's air game...sucks.

My playstyle can probably be described as aggressive, with little to no concern for my own safety when entering the brawl.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, for sure. Not tonight though, I've played a lot today already. Just add me on Skype.
I've sent you a contact request. Is there any date/time that would work best for you?

Shaymikyu

Oh, well thank you so much! #^w^# While were on the subject of complimenting each other's avatars, I love yours as well! <3 Robin with glasses is truly incredible and is something I wish was in Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's also very fitting for both the male and female versions cause they're both pretty nerdy in some respects. As for my avatar, I believe it was created very recently, so that's probably why you haven't seen it until now.

Haha, it's all good! ^_^ Yeah, ZSS and Lucina are very similar in various aspects that's for sure. I look forward to your findings in regards to finding out who your better with. For myself, I've put more time in Lucina so I'm more proficient with her, but I'm also rather competent with ZSS as well, albeit still a bit rusty. I'm sure if I gave ZSS more time, she would would rival my Lucina.
Thanks, though @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A is to thank for that.:4dedede: And yes, I really wish we could give Robin glasses. This seems to be something most games with customizing characters seem to forget- where's the glasses option? Pokémon X and Y is the same, unless you count sunglasses on your hat.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I've never seriously considered what kind of player I fall into regarding character archetypes, but some of my favorite fighters in this game so far are Charizard, Bowser, Little Mac, R.O.B., Robin, and Duck Hunt. Moreso just Bowser and Charizard, because zoning characters aren't working very well for me in the 3DS version, and Little Mac's air game...sucks.

My playstyle can probably be described as aggressive, with little to no concern for my own safety when entering the brawl.
So, heavy hitting characters?

BTW, love your avatar :happysheep:.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Zoning brings out the best of me(:4robinf: :4miigun: Colonel Radec, Doctor Doom, Ares), but rushdown is still a close second(:4lucina: :4samus: Kratos, Wesker, Batman).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, heavy hitting characters?

BTW, love your avatar :happysheep:.
Yeah. R.O.B. was one of my mains in Brawl, and he still is here because the changes they made to him are incredible. Mr. Game & Watch and (especially) Olimar on the other hand... :(

Granted, I used to play a lot of different characters throughout different fighting games, so I never considered what kind of player I was until now. Before coming here, I thought my preferred SSB64 character was :samus64:, but now after revisiting the game on the VC, my most used character is now :falcon64:.

And thank you for the avatar! :4charizard: Be sure to download the new patch to Project M as soon as it's released.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Thanks, though @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A is to thank for that.:4dedede: And yes, I really wish we could give Robin glasses. This seems to be something most games with customizing characters seem to forget- where's the glasses option? Pokémon X and Y is the same, unless you count sunglasses on your hat.
Ah, I should have known. Perhaps I should inquire of him to make me a personal avatar with Robin wearing glasses. ^w^ Yeah, I really wish more RPG's would take into consideration a glasses option. It's a shame but there's little we can do about it unfortunately.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yeah. R.O.B. was one of my mains in Brawl, and he still is here because the changes they made to him are incredible. Mr. Game & Watch and (especially) Olimar on the other hand... :(

Granted, I used to play a lot of different characters throughout different fighting games, so I never considered what kind of player I was until now. Before coming here, I thought my preferred SSB64 character was :samus64:, but now after revisiting the game on the VC, my most used character is now :falcon64:.

And thank you for the avatar! :4charizard: Be sure to download the new patch to Project M as soon as it's released.
Yeah, I always prefer a character with at least one projectile (:younglinkmelee::4link::4tlink::4robinm::4pit:) But I do like fast charcters that are good at pressure or hard hiters (:4lucina::4falcon::4fox:)

I can't get PM 3.5, have to wait for PAL release unfortunately :c.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I wanna talk about my characters.

I usually just stick to the franchises I love and pick my favorite character out of them (IE: Pokemon, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and somewhat Kid Icarus). I've tried to pick up all the Pokemon characters for Smash 4 (outside of Jiggs since I've never really enjoyed playing her in any Smash) So pretty much I will play :4robinf:, :4greninja:,:4charizard:,:4falcon:,:4lucina:,:4myfriends:,:4pikachu:,:4pit: and occasionally :4lucario:, :4marth:,and :4villager:

Greninja seems like a good backup for Robin to me. Greninja is a rather quick fighter who can not only fight well up close, he's got a great air game as well and an awesome projectile. He can close in a lot better than Robin could and has a counter like 80% of the other characters I play.

Funny story about Smash 4, I was hella hyped to play :4greninja:, thought for sure he would be my main. Saw :4robinm:+ :4robinf:

:4robinm:>:4greninja:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I wanna talk about my characters.

I usually just stick to the franchises I love and pick my favorite character out of them (IE: Pokemon, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and somewhat Kid Icarus). I've tried to pick up all the Pokemon characters for Smash 4 (outside of Jiggs since I've never really enjoyed playing her in any Smash) So pretty much I will play :4robinf:, :4greninja:,:4charizard:,:4falcon:,:4lucina:,:4myfriends:,:4pikachu:,:4pit: and occasionally :4lucario:, :4marth:,and :4villager:

Greninja seems like a good backup for Robin to me. Greninja is a rather quick fighter who can not only fight well up close, he's got a great air game as well and an awesome projectile. He can close in a lot better than Robin could and has a counter like 80% of the other characters I play.

Funny story about Smash 4, I was hella hyped to play :4greninja:, thought for sure he would be my main. Saw :4robinm:+ :4robinf:

:4robinm:>:4greninja:
I'm essentially the same when it comes to picking characters I want to play in Smash Bros. I mainly pick characters from franchises I love such as Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Mario, Kid Icarus, Mega Man, Pokemon and so forth and then I'll occasionally pick characters that are fun to play, regardless of if I enjoy they're franchise or not.

So for me, I play mostly :4robinf:, :4lucina:, :4shulk:, :4pit:, :4palutena:, :4darkpit:, :4mario:, :4megaman:, :4greninja:, :4myfriends: and then for characters that are fun to play but whose franchise I don't love they are :4zss:, :4wiifit:, :4pacman:, :4villager:, and :4falcon:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Characters and playstyles I prefer? That's a bit hard to say...

Well, for starters, I typically only play as my favorite characters. Characters like :4robinm:, :4lucario:, :rosalina:, :4shulk:, :4palutena:, :4lucina:, :4charizard:, and :4ness: are all characters that I like as actual characters, and thus enjoy using them in Smash. In some cases, I may play a character I don't have too much attachment to if I like how they play, such as characters like :4rob: and :4duckhunt:. As for my preferred playstyle, I usually prefer being able to keep my opponents away from me if possible. I don't want to risk getting myself hurt if I can avoid it. That being said, I do like being able to fend for myself in the event that the opponent is close to me, and possibly do some serious damage to them in the process. So far, I've found that :4robinm:, :4lucario:, :rosalina:, and :4ness: all fit this description pretty well, and as of now, they're the characters I'm best with.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't even know character archetypes for fighting games very well myself, but I can tell you that I despise playing as and against grapplers, screw those guys. Otherwise, I like just about any playstyle as long as the character is fun to mess around with.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Female Robin is so photogenic, I swear.

She poses so well with Lucina, too.

Maybe I should try to actually fight more and not try and take one thousand pictures.

Top Bottom