• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I am about 99% genderblind in all faucets of life. The one exception is when it comes to armour. Well-crafted armour, modelled for the user, is contoured to the shape of the body. Thus, historically, we have literally been starved out of a ride range of body shapes. Every set of armour is a work of art, and thus, we have been deprived of a whole scope of variety.

As long as the armour is proper (no plate bikini, heels, dress armour, boob armour, etc.), my heavy-armour wearing characters are thus always female, when given the choice. Also, not always related to the above, but since I am something of a rampant feminist, if given the choice over who "saves the world", it is going to be a female character. Men have historically hogged the spotlight for several millennia not because of ability, but because of privilege and who is telling the story. It's time to butt out for a bit.:007:
That last part is partially why I tend to lean towards female characters as the hero, but mainly it's because I'm female. Obviously, I'd still prefer a well-written guy to a poorly-written girl, but I remember as a kid always seeing the one female character in shows or games just being the token girl and who was basically just defined as the obligatory girl. Yes, there were exceptions, but they weren't all that common. I remember when Pokémon Crystal came out being so floored by being able to actually play as a girl and not have to give some poor guy my name like before.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am about 99% genderblind in all faucets of life. The one exception is when it comes to armour. Well-crafted armour, modelled for the user, is contoured to the shape of the body. Thus, historically, we have literally been starved out of a ride range of body shapes. Every set of armour is a work of art, and thus, we have been deprived of a whole scope of variety.

As long as the armour is proper (no plate bikini, heels, dress armour, boob armour, etc.), my heavy-armour wearing characters are thus always female, when given the choice. Also, not always related to the above, but since I am something of a rampant feminist, if given the choice over who "saves the world", it is going to be a female character. Men have historically hogged the spotlight for several millennia. It's time to butt out for a bit.:007:
In total agreement with you here.
Though I am a bit more facetious when it comes to the subject since I don't classify myself as feminist. I feel like favoring one side is sort of counter-intuitive. That being said, I favor the female anyway just because.

Part of it stems from me hating most male-oriented products. Growing up I hated stuff like G.I. Joe, first-person shooting games, most sci-fi, etc. To a degree I still do. I actually always was more interested in girl toys, like Hello Kitty, and of course, My Little Pony.

Of course, I cannot stand baby dolls or Barbie dolls. The former because they're just creepy, the latter because they disgustingly typecast females as a whole, sort of like GI Joes for males.

EDIT: Maybe I'm not actually agreeing with you on anything, actually. Ha.

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman

As long as the armour is proper (no plate bikini, heels, dress armour, boob armour, etc.), my heavy-armour wearing characters are thus always female, when given the choice. Also, not always related to the above, but since I am something of a rampant feminist, if given the choice over who "saves the world", it is going to be a female character. Men have historically hogged the spotlight for several millennia not because of ability, but because of privilege and who is telling the story. It's time to butt out for a bit.:007:
Likes x infinite

Serious, why do game designs give female characters these amours where they are basically wearing nothing and yet they some how have the best defence in the game. It's stupid :facepalm:.

Hong

The Strongest
That last part is partially why I tend to lean towards female characters as the hero, but mainly it's because I'm female. Obviously, I'd still prefer a well-written guy to a poorly-written girl, but I remember as a kid always seeing the one female character in shows or games just being the token girl and who was basically just defined as the obligatory girl. Yes, there were exceptions, but they weren't all that common. I remember when Pokémon Crystal came out being so floored by being able to actually play as a girl and not have to give some poor guy my name like before.
The Smurfette complex is what bugs me a lot, because it's still so rampant these days, even in games that try to have fair representation. The thing where the only female characters are named or town NPC and stuff, but never the stock enemies you face. Fire Emblem is a good example, where the only female enemies are those that fly and a few named boss encounters.

At that point, it's not a matter of feminism, so much as it just looks dumb and, given that it's a fictional context, only serves to distort my suspension of belief. You mean to tell me the only female Knights that exist in all the realm are the ones in my employ and the one boss I faced early in the game? Especially when a lot of the bad guys in a game have to have had unique assets like models or voice work, anyway. Could have at least made some of them female if you are going to go through all of that work.
In total agreement with you here.
Though I am a bit more facetious when it comes to the subject since I don't classify myself as feminist. I feel like favoring one side is sort of counter-intuitive.
"Feminists" would be "humanitarians" if the problem was not so statistically, factually problematic in one area (eg. women doing two-thirds of the work but receiving a third of the pay) and not the other. Feminist does not have to be such a dirty word. Any feminist who is a decent, compassionate, sensible entity will strive for the better rights of representation of women and men alike, and everything in-between. Feminists are feminists because that's where the issues lie at a vast discrepancy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"Feminists" would be "humanitarians" if the problem was not so statistically, factually problematic in one area (eg. women doing two-thirds of the work but receiving a third of the pay) and not the other. Feminist does not have to be such a dirty word. Any feminist who is a decent, compassionate, sensible entity will strive for the better rights of representation of women and men alike, and everything in-between. Feminists are feminists because that's where the issues lie at a vast discrepancy.
I agree with that. As a technicality, I am a feminist. I care about how they are treated in the real world and depicted in our media. However the connotation of the word is drastically different from it's technical meaning. Being a male and calling yourself a "feminist" would get you laughed at by a lot of people, even though what comes to their mind is a violently vocal minority.

Hong

The Strongest
Being a male and calling yourself a "feminist" would get you laughed at by a lot of people, even though what comes to their mind is a violently vocal minority.
That's why you do it.

There's been many times in my life when I have been the subject of scrutiny or laughter for challenging stupid traditions and nonsensical ideologies, but I do it anyway. Someone has to. Not going to wait 50 years for the world to smarten up about it. No, it's starts with you. It starts with me. Be the voice of change. Do not quiver beneath their image; form your own and present it.

For those times where someone has mocked my views, there has not been a soul I have not been able to shut down with a piece of my mind.

Shaymikyu

The Smurfette complex is what bugs me a lot, because it's still so rampant these days, even in games that try to have fair representation. The thing where the only female characters are named or town NPC and stuff, but never the stock enemies you face. Fire Emblem is a good example, where the only female enemies are those that fly and a few named boss encounters.

At that point, it's not a matter of feminism, so much as it just looks dumb and, given that it's a fictional context, only serves to distort my suspension of belief. You mean to tell me the only female Knights that exist in all the realm are the ones in my employ and the one boss I faced early in the game? Especially when a lot of the bad guys in a game have to have had unique assets like models or voice work, anyway. Could have at least made some of them female if you are going to go through all of that work.
True. I'm not saying that females should be shoved down our throat, but it bugs me how male is always the default.

Actually, that's one reason I really like WFT- even though she comes in both genders, the default is female. While I have nothing on male Robin, it irks me how female Robin doesn't show up in either of the victory screens for Classic or All Star. The others don't do this- we see male WFT and female Villager and even Alph and the Koopalings.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
True. I'm not saying that females should be shoved down our throat, but it bugs me how male is always the default.
Actually, that's one reason I really like WFT- even though she comes in both genders, the default is female. While I have nothing on male Robin, it irks me how female Robin doesn't show up in either of the victory screens for Classic or All Star. The others don't do this- we see male WFT and female Villager and even Alph and the Koopalings.
That's interesting, I never considered how female is the default for the Trainers.
But yeah, it bothers me how female Robin is sort of ignored.

A change of subject but how they showed Lucina in Robin's trailer also did not make me terribly happy.

Hong

The Strongest
A change of subject but how they showed Lucina in Robin's trailer also did not make me terribly happy.
Whenever people bring that up, I point at the whimpering tool over her shoulder.

You see that? That is what should happen to the fool who takes on the Falcon. Lucina was doing pretty good all things considered.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's why you do it.
There's been many times in my life when I have been the subject of scrutiny or laughter for challenging stupid traditions and nonsensical ideologies, but I do it anyway. Someone has to. Not going to wait 50 years for the world to smarten up about it. No, it's starts with you. It starts with me. Be the voice of change. Do not quiver beneath their image; form your own and present it.
For those times where someone has mocked my views, there has not been a soul I have not been able to shut down with a piece of my mind.
Well, I am a bit more insecure than that.
If I wasn't I would definitely be more confident in my belief system.

Shaymikyu

Whenever people bring that up, I point at the whimpering tool over her shoulder.

You see that? That is what should happen to the fool who takes on the Falcon. Lucina was doing pretty good all things considered.
Yeah, this is why Lucina being saved doesn't bug me much. Robin just caught Cap off guard, and it's not like he even beat him or anything. He just distracted him. We never see the results of the fight, so for all we know Cap easily beat them both still or maybe Lucina and Robin barely beat him together.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

That's true, I do remember that, but egh, I like Lucina a lot.
I had to grumpy stare at Falcon for a while afterwards besides. He is still my secondary main though.

That's a weird thing. Hypermasculine things are distasteful to me. I hate them.
Why do I love Captain Falcon?

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Since we're on this topic, I never understood whats up with women made to wear nothing in games aimed toward men like... you gonna get off to some pixels on your tv screen??? ...I hope that doesn't actually happen LOL
That's true, I do remember that, but egh, I like Lucina a lot.
I had to grumpy stare at Falcon for a while afterwards besides. He is still my secondary main though.

Obviously his fabuloso pink outfit. It just screams of testosterone ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since we're on this topic, I never understood whats up with women made to wear nothing in games aimed toward men like... you gonna get off to some pixels on your tv screen??? ...I hope that doesn't actually happen LOL
Oh, it does happen.
It happens more often than people are born everyday.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
you gonna get off to some pixels on your tv screen??? ...I hope that doesn't actually happen LOL
There's this philosophy I follow:

-There's one of every type of person imaginable on Earth.

And yes, there are people who do that. You'd be naive to think otherwise. People can get off to anything.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
462_hai_guys.jpg

Haven't been here in a while, i really missed this thread, damned school work
zCOhUDG.png

Kind of a shame i decided to pretty much give up on maining Robin, i just wasn't really feeling it
FGbML7a.png

I at least trust you guys are wrecking everyone with the power of literature. :4robinf:

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman

Haven't been here in a while, i really missed this thread, damned school workView attachment 29024
Kind of a shame i decided to pretty much give up on maining Robin, i just wasn't really feeling it View attachment 29025
I at least trust you guys are wrecking everyone with the power of literature. :4robinf:
*Looks at image*

BWARG?!

Anyway, that's disappointing to hear that you weren't really feeling it with Robin. Though your first main choice is intriguing. I mean, his not bad or anything and I don't mind his voice, but seriously...

Shaymikyu

Honestly, in terms of characters I said were my best for sure at one point then explored more and dropped after something, I've cycled through half the roster at least. The one constant is :4robinf:. Even :4zss: I'm starting to question again.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, in terms of characters I said were my best for sure at one point then explored more and dropped after something, I've cycled through half the roster at least. The one constant is :4robinf:. Even :4zss: I'm starting to question again.
Same, I want to main one of the Link's, but I keep going back and forth from each of them, they are both too good and both too alien. ARGH!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I would use male Robin if he had good colours.

I just like blonde/gold a lot more than white/red with black hair (ickie; reminds me of the days kids used to go through those goth/emo phases with the terribly done dyed black hair that look like they just dipped their heads in shoe polish) and the green/blue.
I prefer his voice/lines too, but colours are everything@!!!

Would've paid good money for pink-haired Male :<
#FindMeNintendoSocialMediaBotsAndDoMyBidding

Or just give the character the same ****ing colours between them, jesus christ, who cares about Little Mac or Wario at all to deserve 16 each!?

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
I would use male Robin if he had good colours.

I just like blonde/gold a lot more than white/red with black hair (ickie; reminds me of the days kids used to go through those goth/emo phases with the terribly done dyed black hair that look like they just dipped their heads in shoe polish) and the green/blue.
I prefer his voice/lines too, but colours are everything@!!!

Would've paid good money for pink-haired Male :<
#FindMeNintendoSocialMediaBotsAndDoMyBidding

Or just give the character the same ****ing colours between them, jesus christ, who cares about Little Mac or Wario at all to deserve 16 each!?
Wario only as Four now, but your right

Why does little Mac 16 colours yet Robin and everyone else with an alt costume only get 4 per alt?

It's silly.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think it is next to impossible to dislike Captain Falcon. I dislike macho things as well (although Falcon does have an attractive body, I must admit) and I also happen to loathe memes, so I had everything to dislike Captain Falcon as I dislike certain other characters in Smash, but I just cant. He is so likable. I always saw him a Smash Bros's mascot.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think it is next to impossible to dislike Captain Falcon. I dislike macho things as well (although Falcon does have an attractive body, I must admit) and I also happen to loathe memes, so I had everything to dislike Captain Falcon as I dislike certain other characters in Smash, but I just cant. He is so likable. I always saw him a Smash Bros's mascot.
He is more of a mascot for Smash than F-Zero at this point, really. I mean his series is basically retro now.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just as a question: Is M!Robin and F!Robin's personality any different? I'm trying to fuel a headcanon here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom