• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
How ironic, I just got up from seeing few feminism-based critical posts in Tumblr and writing something like that in my current exam.

Whenever people bring that up, I point at the whimpering tool over her shoulder.

You see that? That is what should happen to the fool who takes on the Falcon. Lucina was doing pretty good all things considered.
At least the guy got massive props for trying.

FinalGuidanceIconVictory-Character. He's desperate to hog up glory for not making it in. Get over it already Chrom.

Personally don't really dig Smash's Falcon, seems just over-the-top memetic dude to me. Perhaps I want to see more depth on him but I must be asking to be Falcon Punch'd back to reality because who is dumb enough to ask depth from playable characters in Smash?

Also I still wish Lucy got more than modified Falchion as a reason to be in Smash. Not tha I don't want her in, but it's just something I keep looking back as huge missed opportunity especially when compared to likes of :roypm:.

Just as a question: Is M!Robin and F!Robin's personality any different? I'm trying to fuel a headcanon here.
:4robinf: seems more bold and brash compared to :4robinm:.

My headcanon has them as twins that met through different timelines but come from Elibe from the same mother that ran away to outrealms from her husband Validar.

@ Hong Hong

Weird that I love to use :4robinm: but seems like I'm not enough active to be acknowledged as such. Unless not many associated me with Robin. :(

I dunno myself, I still dig using :4robinm: because well, he's kinda part of me from being an FE-fan since last years (and his likeable personality).
Not like I'm trying to go against female heroes, but I just went in instinct of giving myself some identity in tribute to my last FE-game I cleared (FE7).

I sometimes use :4robinf: though but her personality isn't as relatable to me as :4robinm:. She makes a fun character in FFAs though, must be that bold personality which seems fitting on chaotic fights that needs a collected yet determined gallant female.:4dedede:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ Hong Hong

Weird that I love to use :4robinm: but seems like I'm not enough active to be acknowledged as such. Unless not many associated me with Robin. :(
Actually, when I mentioned :4robinm: being a model, I was inclined to say "@ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ wouldn't mind", though I didn't want to call you out like that. @False Sense and @IronFish are used to be me teasing them, and we've squabbled over our choice of Robin's gender previously. I know there are a number of other folks who typically roll Robin♂.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
How ironic, I just got up from seeing few feminism-based critical posts in Tumblr and writing something like that in my current exam.

FinalGuidanceIconVictory-Character. He's desperate to hog up glory for not making it in. Get over it already Chrom.

Personally don't really dig Smash's Falcon, seems just over-the-top memetic dude to me. Perhaps I want to see more depth on him but I must be asking to be Falcon Punch'd back to reality because who is dumb enough to ask depth from playable characters in Smash?

Also I still wish Lucy got more than modified Falchion as a reason to be in Smash. Not tha I don't want her in, but it's just something I keep looking back as huge missed opportunity especially when compared to likes of :roypm:.

My headcanon has them as twins that met through different timelines but come from Elibe from the same mother that ran away to outrealms from her husband Validar.

@ Hong Hong

I dunno myself, I still dig using :4robinm: because well, he's kinda part of me from being an FE-fan since last years (and his likeable personality).
Not like I'm trying to go against female heroes, but I just went in instinct of giving myself some identity in tribute to my last FE-game I cleared (FE7).

I sometimes use :4robinf: though but her personality isn't as relatable to me as :4robinm:. She makes a fun character in FFAs though, must be that bold personality which seems fitting on chaotic fights that needs a collected yet determined gallant female.:4dedede:
No regrets.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Actually, when I mentioned :4robinm: being a model, I was inclined to say "@ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ wouldn't mind", though I didn't want to call you out like that. @False Sense and @IronFish are used to be me teasing them, and we've squabbled over our choice of Robin's gender previously. I know there are a number of other folks who typically roll Robin♂.
Ah, I see. I guess I skimmed that one.

Not sure if anyone else has any experience with modelling, but :4robinm: has that face when you show up for a photoshoot and you don't know what it's for.
Oh, yes. I can get behind that, really. P-p-poker face.

But eh, maybe it's just mere preference when it comes to emoticons. :4robinf:

I guess we just need more pretty faces like this for M!Robin:

:4dedede:

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
He is more of a mascot for Smash than F-Zero at this point, really. I mean his series is basically retro now.
That might literally be the case, actually

The old legends say that Falcon's moveset originally came from character concepts <unknown if It was all the same character or a mish-mash> back from Smash's days as a non-crossover game, Dragon King <it had the same general gameplay mechanics, it's just the characters and locations used to all be original instead of Mario and Kirby and co.>. While we know enough about Dragon King as a game, it hasn't actually been confirmed that Cap was transplanted from it, though the combination of the blue Dragon King guy having a similar frame to Cap's 64 model and Cap not having more moves to do with F-Zero make for heavy implications.

Anyway, Cap's moveset having roots in Dragon King explains why they chose him out of all the other possible characters at the time <better not scrap EVERYTHING about the old system, right?>, and why Cap has the best record of the Secret 4 on being starter <gotta keep the game's "origin character" open to everyone>

So that don't go COMPLETELY off-topic, I too will use Male Robin over Female Robin, I like to treat defaults on an avatar character as a canon version <I don't care too much for the "bring yourself into the role" thing too, much, so I treat avatars as their own character>, and Male Robin is the more "canon" of the two <in that it's him in the trailer rather than Female Robin>.
Plus, I really dig his red/white color, makes him look like a White Mage from FF and the Mario crossover sports games. =P

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sometimes I wonder how the game would look and feel with Chrom in instead of Lucina.

:4lucina:: W-would I have had a chance, in...another time?....

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Sometimes I wonder how the game would look and feel with Chrom in instead of Lucina.

:4lucina:: W-would I have had a chance, in...another time?....
No. Never. Bad idea. No one expect for guedes the brawler really wanted Chrom.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If Chrom was playable instead of Lucina... Perhaps :4robinf: would have been featured in the CG trailer instead, which would have been great.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Sometimes I get annoyed with all of the :4robinf: worship...
Also, $20 says the trailer would still have :4robinm: as the Robin in the trailer.

Last edited:

Reila

Sometimes I get annoyed at people saying stuff like " :4robinm: is the canon Robin" when there is no such thing as canon Robin.

Humans are annoyed by the silliest things, aren't they

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Sometimes I get annoyed at people saying stuff like " :4robinm: is the canon Robin" when there is no such thing as canon Robin.

Humans are annoyed by the silliest things, aren't they
Well... Technically all Robin's are canon.

Reila

Well... Technically all Robin's are canon.
Really? Why is that? At any rate, that still invalidates the "Male Robin is canon" argument, since it implies that only he is canon, while Female Robin is just "make believe" or something. I wish the same was valid for Persona 3, Hamuko being neglected to a non-canon character still hurts.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Really? Why is that? At any rate, that still invalidates the "Male Robin is canon" argument, since it implies that only he is canon, while Female Robin is just "make believe" or something. I wish the same was valid for Persona 3, Hamuko being neglected to a non-canon character still hurts.
Parallel timelines. Bam.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ignore them then. They're just fans who are trying to justify their "headcanons" over everyone else's, and are using marginal "evidence" to justify their beliefs. "omg the white-haired male robin was used in the reveal trailer for a non-canon party series, CANON GENDER (AND PAIRING) IS CONFIRMED"

I'm indifferent to the gender debates for Robin (though I do like F!Robin a bit more), so to see them argue over the gender for a customizable character in a video game is pretty funny to watch.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
English F!Robin definitely sounds bold and brash, while Japanese F!Robin does not come off that way at all to me. She sounds "nicer" if that makes any sense.

If Chrom was playable instead of Lucina... Perhaps :4robinf: would have been featured in the CG trailer instead, which would have been great.
I guess we'll never know how she'd look in that glorious Awakening CG

Lol chrom

Reila

Parallel timelines. Bam.
Yeah, that is how I usually see customizable characters, but I was wondering if IS said something about both Robins being ~canon~. I usually don't care about canon and this kind of stuff, because at the of the day, it is all fiction and make believe anyways and I have other things to worry about (like people calling Duck Hunt "Duck Hunt Dog" haha... hahaha what I am doing with my life). I am just a bit saddened when there is a female protagonist in a game, but the developers ALWAYS pick the male one in future works or crossover (I am looking at you, Persona 3 movie). It is disheartening :(

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Greninja matchup.

No thanks.

With any luck in Sm4sh U that godforsaken Upsmash of his gets the endlag it should really have instead of that IASA garbage.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

@ Hong Hong

You have a headcanon where :4robinf: and :4robinm: are twins? Hot dang, so do I!

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
@False Sense and @IronFish are :4robinm: to the max, though the former is well-mannered about it.
Well, I like :4robinm:more, too, but usually use both/neutral pronouns because in the end, the character's gender is up to the player and there isn't anything making one of the two "more canon" than the other.

Though I do sometimes wonder why I bother being politicly correct about this while I'm usually not PC at all.

Also, while I usually play male characters in story heavy single player RPGs, I did play my fair share of female characters as well, especially in games where having multiple characters is encouraged.

As long as the armour is proper (no plate bikini, heels, dress armour, boob armour, etc.), my heavy-armour wearing characters are thus always female, when given the choice.
There just is something about proper heavy armor on women that looks really cool. It's sad it's such a rarity with the majority of games going for the stripper armor for female characters.
That's also why I hate those goddamn stupid shoulderpads on Kjelle (or any knight in FE). The armor beneath is really awesome but we don't get to see it because of those stupid pauldrons.

I have other things to worry about (like people calling Duck Hunt "Duck Hunt Dog" haha... hahaha what I am doing with my life).
It's an especially moot point since DHD is still correct as it's called Duck Hunt Duo in Europe. Even in the English version.
Which reminds me: Why is Robin still Daraen in the German version of Smash again?

They succesfully created a knowledge barrier between people who played Awakening and those who have only played Smash. And now they are probably too chicken to fix it with a patch, since they would create the same problem AGAIN, just with people who are used to Daraen now.
It also kinda ticks me off that the announcer says it in a way that doesn't sound very gender ambigous at all.

The day hackers make it possible for me to just switch to the english announcer and crowd chant files for Robin will be a good one.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I would use male Robin if he had good colours.

I just like blonde/gold a lot more than white/red with black hair (ickie; reminds me of the days kids used to go through those goth/emo phases with the terribly done dyed black hair that look like they just dipped their heads in shoe polish) and the green/blue.
I prefer his voice/lines too, but colours are everything@!!!

Would've paid good money for pink-haired Male :<
#FindMeNintendoSocialMediaBotsAndDoMyBidding

Or just give the character the same ****ing colours between them, jesus christ, who cares about Little Mac or Wario at all to deserve 16 each!?
Interesting, because I'm the opposite- I prefer :4robinm:'s colors to :4robinf:'s. I just like everything else about :4robinf: more. Still, I like the Red Robin (Yum!). My favorites color-wise though are the green and blue ones. Agreed on the pink-haired :4robinm:, though.:laugh: If they made a Morgan alt for :4robinm:, though, I'd actually main him over :4robinf: (though the other Morgan as an alt for :4robinf: is also tempting because she's a blast).
Wario only as Four now, but your right

Why does little Mac 16 colours yet Robin and everyone else with an alt costume only get 4 per alt?

It's silly.
I thought that was kind of odd. Why does Mac get special treatment? Even :4olimar: would have made more sense since at least :4alph: is given a separate name.
Just as a question: Is M!Robin and F!Robin's personality any different? I'm trying to fuel a headcanon here.
Their story dialogue is virtually identical (barring a couple of scenes if :4robinm: is married to Lucina or :4robinf: is married to Chrom), but there are some differences in their supports. I can't go into full detail myself, as I'm just getting started with :4robinm:'s supports. I've heard that the Morgans tend to act similar to the Robin that matches their gender, though.

My personal headcanon is:
:4robinm:
-More introverted, but warm and kind
-A huge bookworm who gets sucked into stories easily
-Gets caught up in details a lot and can be a worrywart about the safety of his companions
:4robinf:
-Bolder and a bit of a mischief-maker
-Deadpan snarker at times, and can come across as cold towards people she flat out dislikes
-When she's in "Tactician mode," she tends to get a bit zanier and can come across as a mad genius type

I still haven't decided if I see them as twins where the non-protagonist one also fled with their mother but got separated from the protagonist one and went into hiding until Validar was defeated and the Morgan you don't get is their kid or if they're just alternate timeline versions of each other and each has both Morgans, but only one made it back. I generally lean toward the former because I adore :4robinf:'s mother/son relationship with the male Morgan and I'm growing to really love :4robinm:'s relationship with his own daughter. I usually imagine the one I don't choose as marrying one of the Robin-only choices, though I haven't decided which ones for which playthrough.

Actually, in that case, in Future Past, that means :4robinf: kidnapped :4robinm:'s daughter (or the opposite...). That explains why they're both named Morgan though- I headcanon that they just had similar taste in names and in the timeline the Morgans came from, they didn't meet until after they had a child.
I prefer Lucina to Chrom, but... That would almost make it worth it. Heck, since Robin was the first one they hyped off the bat as having both genders, they could have easily put both in the trailer.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
My most played characters in Smash 4 so far:
:roypm::pt::snake::wolf::substitute:

I really need to narrow it down.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My personal headcanon is:
:4robinm:
-More introverted, but warm and kind
-A huge bookworm who gets sucked into stories easily
-Gets caught up in details a lot and can be a worrywart about the safety of his companions
:4robinf:
-Bolder and a bit of a mischief-maker
-Deadpan snarker at times, and can come across as cold towards people she flat out dislikes
-When she's in "Tactician mode," she tends to get a bit zanier and can come across as a mad genius type

I still haven't decided if I see them as twins where the non-protagonist one also fled with their mother but got separated from the protagonist one and went into hiding until Validar was defeated and the Morgan you don't get is their kid or if they're just alternate timeline versions of each other and each has both Morgans, but only one made it back. I generally lean toward the former because I adore :4robinf:'s mother/son relationship with the male Morgan and I'm growing to really love :4robinm:'s relationship with his own daughter. I usually imagine the one I don't choose as marrying one of the Robin-only choices, though I haven't decided which ones for which playthrough.

Actually, in that case, in Future Past, that means :4robinf: kidnapped :4robinm:'s daughter (or the opposite...). That explains why they're both named Morgan though- I headcanon that they just had similar taste in names and in the timeline the Morgans came from, they didn't meet until after they had a child.

Actually, it'd been pretty awesome if Grima!Robin in Awakening's main story would have been the other gender you didn't take. So basically, :4robinm: has to defeat :4robinf:. (and vice versa)

I might continue my headcanon with :4robinf: being taken up by Validar and had become a vessel to Grima, but gets "purified" in unexpected twist of sort and has to be found (in the ending where Robin defeats Grima instead of Chrom)
That's when both would reunite, but :4robinf: would have to go back in her own timeline. Would make for nice Endgame post-quest with nice tearjerker at the end. Also give way to have us think both Robins as siblings of sorts in Smash. I'd at least would want to.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Actually, it'd been pretty awesome if Grima!Robin in Awakening's main story would have been the other gender you didn't take. So basically, :4robinm: has to defeat :4robinf:.

I might continue my headcanon with :4robinf: being taken up by Validar and had become a vessel to Grima, but gets "purified" in unexpected twist of sort and has to be found. That's when both would reunite, but :4robinf: would have to go back in her own timeline. Would make for nice Endgame post-quest with nice tearjerker at the end. Also give way to have us think both Robins as siblings of sorts in Smash. I'd at least would want to.
That would have been a neat idea, actually.

And yes, that scene would have been great. They could have planted hints throughout the game about Robin having a sibling and built up to that. They could even include the other Robin in Future Past somehow, either serving the Grima!Robin to protect his daughter/her son or even helping the twelve kids, assuming he/she wouldn't have been killed with the rest of the first gens.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
That would have been a neat idea, actually.

And yes, that scene would have been great. They could have planted hints throughout the game about Robin having a sibling and built up to that. They could even include the other Robin in Future Past somehow, either serving the Grima!Robin to protect his daughter/her son or even helping the twelve kids, assuming he/she wouldn't have been killed with the rest of the first gens.
Alt version of FP!:4robinm:= Professor X.

Shaymikyu

Alt version of FP!:4robinm:= Professor X.
Headcanon accepted for sure. If I had the time/skills, I'd write this fanfic, but alas, college.

I still haven't decided who he'd be married to in my original playthrough, though. Tiki? Flavia? Anna?

Reila

What do you mean you don't main :popo: and :lucas:
It's an especially moot point since DHD is still correct as it's called Duck Hunt Duo in Europe. Even in the English version.
DHD doesn't really bother me, just the other name. Also, calling Duck Hunt "he" is so stupid. It is like calling Ice Climbers "he". lol

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Headcanon accepted for sure. If I had the time/skills, I'd write this fanfic, but alas, college.

I still haven't decided who he'd be married to in my original playthrough, though. Tiki? Flavia? Anna?
He just sleeps around, or something. That's kinda what original timeline!:4robinm: did in my headcanon.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I have soon time in my hands so I could give this a shot, maybe through a one-shot, IDK. On Alt-FP!:4robinm:, I'd replace him as Female Mark from FE7. So we could have whole tactician family reunite.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581

should be banned. Final Smash is too OP and he is invisible unless you activate his Final Smash.

Don't even get me started on :substitute:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
What do you mean you don't main :popo: and :lucas:

DHD doesn't really bother me, just the other name. Also, calling Duck Hunt "he" is so stupid. It is like calling Ice Climbers "he". lol
Well, I would but alas, there is only so much time in the day. And I've been busy training

And I finally unlocked
/
. Sheesh, that "Nothing but a Puppet"-Event where you have to beat a team of 10 barely penalized Genos was annoying. Lasers EVERYWHERE. At least the reward was worth it.

Though it got me some time to learn a couple of sick mindgames with

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Apparently Intelligent Systems played too much X-com :D

Top Bottom