• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Well, I think there are a number of reasons for that. For one, there are people who are genuine fans of the character; they want Chrom in Smash because he's a favorite of theirs. Though judging by the aftermath of Robin's reveal, it seems like the number of those people is fairly limited. I believe the majority of Chrom supporters were people who thought he was inevitable, and that any other character like Robin (especially Robin considering he/she's a customizable character that isn't on the box art) was basically just wishful thinking. After all, why support something that you "know" is never going to happen?
I'll admit, I once thought Chrom was going to show up, but I just didn't outright support him. FE reps just didn't grab me, until Robin showed up, but even then I thought he wouldn't appear because he was a player-unique character. But then again, we have the Villager, for whatever that's worth.
But after Robin's reveal, a large portion of Chrom supporters expressed great satisfaction with this turn of events, once they realized that Robin was not an impossibility and that he/she was obviously the superior character choice over Chrom.
I'm quite satisfied with the result as well. Robin is my first FE main.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
I've been maining Marth since Melee... Apparently I prefer function over blandness. Marth is the most boring character in Nintendo's entire collection.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
I have never read nor watched Game of Thrones myself, but its reputation for brutality speaks for itself.
Yeah, tp many people die in it. Good things us Tactician makes sure that none of our friends and soldiers die. (and if the do, we just press L+R+START :p)

Also Hong, I'm writing a fanfic and wonder when I'm done the Epilogue if you would like to read it?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I have never read nor watched Game of Thrones myself, but its reputation for brutality speaks for itself.
Basically.

If someone like Chrom was suddenly transported to Westeros, he wouldn't be just dead within the first chapter. He would be stabbed, poisoned, gouged, and then finally decapitated, because the concepts of chivalry and nobility in that world are a general farce.

It's an excellent book series though, and it has a great TV adaptation. I recommend it.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, it just you have been really nice to me in smashboards (also @Robertman2) so I just though you would be willing to read it. (though you have missed a few question of mine)
Oh, well, ask them again.

Just know that if it has to do with Robin, @Raziek, @ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan , @False Sense, or any number of other knowledgeable Robin forum regulars probably know the character better than I do.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
So Robin dittos are now my favorite ditto to play. Even though we only had one Robin ditto match, I fought this one Robin online For Glory today and had a lot of fun playing him in general. I was thinking more about strategy than ever, not to mention trying to figure out what his next move would be. There was a lot more thinking involved than I usually put into a match, and boy was it close. I had that match, and some other good Robin dittos saved, but I think after this fight, I'll be saving any and all of my Robin ditto matches.

Also there's something cool about two Robins both casting Arcfire at the same time and having the spells collide midway.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I like Chrom as a character- though considering the colorful cast of Awakening, he doesn't stand out as much. Mainly, I liked Chrom when he had his more dorky moments, like when he's married to Robin in the Summer Scramble or his supports with Frederick (or at least the C Support- need to see the rest). That said, I'm glad they went with Robin over Chrom, because had they gone with Chrom, I might have pushed off me checking out FE yet again. Not that Chrom would turn me off from the series, but Robin got my attention more. The moment I saw him floating in that dark coat firing off lightning, my first thought was, "wait- they have these awesome mage characters in FE? He has spellbooks? He has a female counterpart? Why have I not played FE yet again?"

That said, while I like his cameos in Robin's final smash, I understand how some Chrom fans feel. I'd be just as offended if Lucas appeared in Ness's final smash, though at least Ike gets a Chrom color. I admit I was a bit salty towards Ness this time at first even if even I admit that Ness is a "better" (for lack of a better word- I hate "more deserving") rep for Mother than Lucas and should be the sole Mother rep if we only got one, but I've gotten over it now and enjoy him quite a bit. Holding onto what could have been or what you think should have been won't change the roster, so either cope with your grief or just don't get the game if it really meant that much to you.

As for the "leaks," I still take them with a grain of salt- I still feel like Tower of Smash has more against it than for it (Magicant seeming to be 3DS exclusive unless they didn't get the Wii U version's pictures, two stages that barely work for what it claimed, the only exact matches being the obvious Onett and the less obvious but not a shot in the dark Smashville). I don't think this applies to everyone, but If feel like a lot of people are clinging to the leak just because it says Ridley and Mewtwo will be in. If it turns out false, there will probably be a new "leak" about DLC in the same vein. Don't get me wrong, Tower of Smash sounds awesome, but anyone could type up a fake mode and give it a generic name. I guess the upcoming direct will finally make or break it (and even if it breaks it, people will find something to claim it wasn't).

Speaking of which, I'll have to miss the Wii U stream because of class.:sadeyes:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Oh, well, ask them again.

Just know that if it has to do with Robin, @Raziek, @ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan , @False Sense, or any number of other knowledgeable Robin forum regulars probably know the character better than I do.
Oh, they weren't really Robin related, one of them was that Strong Bad hasn't really answered my question in the conversation, though he did say he couldn't, just seems like I'm ignored sometimes. Is it the question I ask.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh, they weren't really Robin related, one of them was that Strong Bad hasn't really answered my question in the conversation, though he did say he couldn't, just seems like I'm ignored sometimes. Is it the question I ask.
Was your question in regards to future Link or Toon Link changes? Because the PM team will only reveal so much about future plans.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Well, not to sound mean but not answering that question was pretty clear.
Yeah, I realised that. I just really want to play as Young Link again but not in Melee. While I'm yet to play PM and while Toon Link is suppose to be the new Young Link in PM, but I feel like the Fox with Wolf custom or Ness with Lucas, while it's nice to have the moves, it's not the same. I really want to play as Young Link, I miss him :(.

Actually wish he was in Smash 4, like every guessed.

Hong

The Strongest
Personally I prefer if the developers just have one Link and make it good.

Shaymikyu

Yeah, I realised that. I just really want to play as Young Link again but not in Melee. While I'm yet to play PM and while Toon Link is suppose to be the new Young Link in PM, but I feel like the Fox with Wolf custom or Ness with Lucas, while it's nice to have the moves, it's not the same. I really want to play as Young Link, I miss him :(.

Actually wish he was in Smash 4, like every guessed.
I feel the same way about Ness with Lucas's moves. Yes, they're the same moves, but it's still not the same character. I'd feel the same even if Ness also got Lucas's smashes and Rope Snake. Current Ness with a Lucas alt a la Alph is more Lucas to me than Ness with Lucas's moveset.

I have a friend who's the same with Roy, though he's never played Project M. He hasn't unlocked Lucina yet and supposedly, they play similarly, but even then I doubt he'll see Lucina as Roy.

Hong

The Strongest
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?!

View attachment 28013

Why Hong, Why
Because it's an absolutely ****ty, lazy, and redundant design decision. Link was never even particularly known for being slow, and he should have never been so stiff in Smash Bros to begin with. Link has been a youth for the majority of his appearances, and if they just had a teenager Link with more balanced stats based on his retro appearances, we would be in a better place.

What is worse is that, despite the fact Link literally has had like five~ fighting styles, several dozen ancient relics at his disposal across several generations, and a twenty-five-year legacy, another version of him somehow ends up with the same special moves, and about 70% of the same normals.

It is because I love Link that I am disappointed.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Link in Smash Bros wasn't meant to be a homage to the Legend of Zelda series, but rather a face behind Kirby Super Star swordsman power.
I swear I'm yet to ever see Miyamoto and Sakurai actually looking friendly around each other at the same time. I swear there's a connection.

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Because it's an absolutely ****ty, lazy, and redundant design decision. Link was never even particularly known for being slow, and he should have never been so stiff in Smash Bros to begin with. Link has been a youth for the majority of his appearances, and if they just had a teenager Link with more balanced stats based on his retro appearances, we would be in a better place.

What is worse is that, despite the fact Link literally has had like five~ fighting styles, several dozen ancient relics at his disposal across several generations, and a twenty-five-year legacy, another version of him somehow ends up with the same special moves, and about 70% of the same normals.

I can see your point though but for some reason, I really don't mind there been two Link's, whether they be clones or completely different. I will always love Link for LIFE.:link64::linkmelee::younglinkmelee::link2::toonlink::4link::4tlink::bee::bee::bee::bee::laugh::love:

Shaymikyu

Honestly, this bums me out about a lot of characters. For example, even if he didn't use his own PSI, Lucas could have easily not shared specials or a final smash with Ness. How about PK Ground? Or one of the status moves like PSI Hynosis? They could even go the Project M route and incorporate Offense Up somehow. There's also PSI Shield. Pichu in Melee was another- even by gen II, there were more than enough moves to not make it a clone (not to mention the stupid damaging gimmick that doesn't even have anything to do with Pichu as a Pokémon in the source material). Here are some examples just using the Bulbapedia Gen II Learnset:
*Charm or Sweet Kiss- It could stun foes somehow, or maybe disarm them somehow.
*Tail Whip- Smack foes with its tail (yeah, original isn't a damaging move, but SSB takes liberties).
*Thunder Wave- Make foes sluggish if pulled off correctly.
*Curse- Becomes slower but stronger, sort of like how Shulk's Monado works in certain forms.
*Toxic- Does something equivalent to flowers on foes.
*Zap Cannon- Hard to launch and usually weak, but if pulled off right does a lot of damage and makes the foe stunned.
*Hidden Power- Launches weak orbs in all directions for a short distance.
*Snore- Weak, but can be used when asleep or stunned.
*Protect- Blocks attacks, but if used too much, it weakens and more attacks get through, stronger than normal.
*Rain Dance- Makes the floor near Pichu slick and easy to slip on.
*Frustration- Charges forward. The more Pichu is hurt, the stronger it becomes (could also make the stupid damage gimmick more justified).
*Iron Tail- Its tail glows and it launches into the air.
*Return- Opposite of Frustration- does more damage the less damaged Pichu is.
*Mud-Slap- VERY weak attack, but makes foes' moves more sloppy.
*Swagger- Does light damage and stuns the foe if it hits them just right.
*Sleep Talk- Randomly uses one of Pichu's moves if stunned/asleep.
*Flash- Can stun foes if launched at the right time a la Rest with damage.

Yeah, some of those would have a TON of kinks to work out, but it's better than "Pikachu but lighter and it hits itself."

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, this bums me out about a lot of characters. For example, even if he didn't use his own PSI, Lucas could have easily not shared specials or a final smash with Ness. How about PK Ground? Or one of the status moves like PSI Hynosis? They could even go the Project M route and incorporate Offense Up somehow. There's also PSI Shield. Pichu in Melee was another- even by gen II, there were more than enough moves to not make it a clone (not to mention the stupid damaging gimmick that doesn't even have anything to do with Pichu as a Pokémon in the source material). Here are some examples just using the Bulbapedia Gen II Learnset:
*Charm or Sweet Kiss- It could stun foes somehow, or maybe disarm them somehow.
*Tail Whip- Smack foes with its tail (yeah, original isn't a damaging move, but SSB takes liberties).
*Thunder Wave- Make foes sluggish if pulled off correctly.
*Curse- Becomes slower but stronger, sort of like how Shulk's Monado works in certain forms.
*Toxic- Does something equivalent to flowers on foes.
*Zap Cannon- Hard to launch and usually weak, but if pulled off right does a lot of damage and makes the foe stunned.
*Hidden Power- Launches weak orbs in all directions for a short distance.
*Snore- Weak, but can be used when asleep or stunned.
*Protect- Blocks attacks, but if used too much, it weakens and more attacks get through, stronger than normal.
*Rain Dance- Makes the floor near Pichu slick and easy to slip on.
*Frustration- Charges forward. The more Pichu is hurt, the stronger it becomes (could also make the stupid damage gimmick more justified).
*Iron Tail- Its tail glows and it launches into the air.
*Return- Opposite of Frustration- does more damage the less damaged Pichu is.
*Mud-Slap- VERY weak attack, but makes foes' moves more sloppy.
*Swagger- Does light damage and stuns the foe if it hits them just right.
*Sleep Talk- Randomly uses one of Pichu's moves if stunned/asleep.
*Flash- Can stun foes if launched at the right time a la Rest with damage.

Yeah, some of those would have a TON of kinks to work out, but it's better than "Pikachu but lighter and it hits itself."
Don't get me started on Falcondorf:glare:. I'm a huge Zelda fan and that's just salt in the wound.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm actually only here to post funny and cute pictures and post unfunny wit.

Here's the former. I'll get back to y'all on the latter.

Shaymikyu

Ah, yes, the CPUs that magically know exactly what move you'll use and know exactly when to dodge or reflect it, even when you mix things up.

The only way I beat a level 9 was to annoy it with Arcfire until its damage got high enough that I could Arcfire+Smash it away, plus using Elwind at the right spots when recovering to hit the computer.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Ah, yes, the CPUs that magically know exactly what move you'll use and know exactly when to dodge or reflect it, even when you mix things up.

The only way I beat a level 9 was to annoy it with Arcfire until its damage got high enough that I could Arcfire+Smash it away, plus using Elwind at the right spots when recovering to hit the computer.
pfft the lvl 9 cpus don't know EXACTLY when you use a move. They need one frame to check, they're too slow.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
How does this character kill anything

The damage is there but I can't land ANYTHING.

I was looking forward to playing Robin because I'm a Fire Emblem nerd... I've got nearly all the supports unlocked in Awakening and have played through it close to 20 times. Then I learned I'm absolutely trash with this character and hate the way s/he feels.

Hong

The Strongest
The LS fair and bair are good at actually hitting, and when they do, they hit hard. That said, they have the worst kind of launch trajectory; upward, but not upward enough. Thank goodness for her godly LS uair to cut some slack in many of those situations.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
why does everyone hate robin so much in for glory?
I always do matches with people who stay in the room for one match, win or lose, then leave.
when they win they usually taunt which makes me just think they hate robin..

Also is robin top tier in your opinions? I know the game is early but I would still like to know early thoughts.
It hurts my soul playing a character that clearly has more advantages then other characters. It makes me feel bad because if I win then Its because I'm playing an OP character and if I lose its because I suck for not winning with an OP character.

Last edited:

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
I feel Robin is nowhere near the top tiers. He might just be the new Marth. No instant-loss matchups, tools to deal with everything, but not overwhelming in any way.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
why does everyone hate robin so much in for glory?
I always do matches with people who stay in the room for one match, win or lose, then leave.
when they win they usually taunting which makes me just think they hate robin..
They can't get around his zoning, that's it.

And Robin is very easy to approach once Thunder/Arcfire break.

D

Deleted member

Personally I prefer if the developers just have one Link and make it good.

This and this.
I'll admit that Toon Link has some sort of deservingness factor to him since he represents the Cel-shaded games, but I prefer to have just one Link that encompasses the whole series. Whenever I see "Toon Link is better than Link," it kinda makes me feel a bit disappointed (or maybe even insulted) that there is a better Link. It's like saying, "Link is good, but he could be better if we got rid of Toon Link."
They should make Link more agile because he is far from his slow depiction in Smash in the Zelda games, where he is far more athletic there.
Oh, and if Young Link somehow did return in Smash 4, I would absolutely hate it since it would be a third Link; isn't that overkill? Same can be applied to Project M.

Don't get me started on Falcondorf:glare:. I'm a huge Zelda fan and that's just salt in the wound.
Ganondorf in Brawl was an absolute mockery to what he is, and Smash 4 is just an improvement of that mockery.
Ganondorf is my favorite villain in gaming and I absolutely hate how he has been depicted in Smash. I was OK with him being a Captain Falcon clone in Melee, but he should have received drastic changes in Brawl and especially in this game. The thing that is insulting with Ganondorf is that he has so much to draw from and all of it was ignored. Why only give him his sword in one custom move? Why not let him use it in his moveset? Make his moveset have some sword attacks and some physical attacks, like in his final battle in Twilight Princess. Or how about give him his moves and weapons from the Zelda games, like Dead Man's Volley as his neutral special, he can throw his trident as his down special, and he could teleport in his up special (I'm OK with his side special since it matches Ganondorf's character). The sad thing is that I was quite hopefully for a redone Ganondorf, especially after when Bowser was redone.
Sorry for this long rant, but I just hate Ganondorf in Smash; it's just not Ganondorf to me. Sad thing is that Ganondorf will probably not have justice for a long time...

Top Bottom