• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I have never read nor watched Game of Thrones myself, but its reputation for wieners speaks for itself.
Fixed.
Well, it just you have been really nice to me in smashboards (also @ Robertman2 Robertman2 ) so I just though you would be willing to read it. (though you have missed a few question of mine)
Thanks! I am really nice! I'm willing to read whatever it is!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm sure there will be a few small alterations in the Sm4sh U version - I strongly doubt the ZSS infinite will carry over to the console version. So maybe Robin will have different arc trajectories for some of his moves that would help him kill better. Fair and Bair going a little higher, utilt having A horizontal hitbox, GRAB HAVING RANGE, etc.

At the same time though, he could receive some slight nerfs. Dtilt losing its IASA frames, the discarded tomes and sword killing later, Nosferatu not knocking Luma away, basically stuff that wouldn't be quickly noticeable until we put it into practice.

That's a big reason why I'm looking forward to this version. I wanna see what got changed and how it affects Robin's game.

Last edited:

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
There will be no gameplay changes. I expect no changes at all, yet some glitch/unintentional cases might be gone.

I'm not sure if any major ones are relevant.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I'm somewhat expecting slight balance changes somewhere down the line, but I don't think they'll happen with the WiiU version. And when they happen, they'll happen for both as patches.

Also: I love how Link plays in Smash 4. However, I hate that Toon Link still has the same specials (and normals). So much wasted potential...

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Ganondorf in Brawl was an absolute mockery to what he is, and Smash 4 is just an improvement of that mockery.
Ganondorf is my favorite villain in gaming and I absolutely hate how he has been depicted in Smash. I was OK with him being a Captain Falcon clone in Melee, but he should have received drastic changes in Brawl and especially in this game. The thing that is insulting with Ganondorf is that he has so much to draw from and all of it was ignored. Why only give him his sword in one custom move? Why not let him use it in his moveset? Make his moveset have some sword attacks and some physical attacks, like in his final battle in Twilight Princess. Or how about give him his moves and weapons from the Zelda games, like Dead Man's Volley as his neutral special, he can throw his trident as his down special, and he could teleport in his up special (I'm OK with his side special since it matches Ganondorf's character). The sad thing is that I was quite hopefully for a redone Ganondorf, especially after when Bowser was redone.
Sorry for this long rant, but I just hate Ganondorf in Smash; it's just not Ganondorf to me. Sad thing is that Ganondorf will probably not have justice for a long time...
I'm with you, although I would say that I would be ok with Ganon's clone status if he was a little faster, but I guess that's when you're supposed to go play Falcon. I liked the melee version, because even though Falcon was largely better, Ganon still felt pretty good by comparison.

I think I would prefer to see an entire rework to Ganon, however. Sheik got essentially reworked and turned out great. Zelda got a new move but could still use a few changes. Ganon just needs a total overhaul at this point.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Didn't a Famitsu article a week back contain an interview with Sakurai where he said Smash Ganondorf is the way he is because he reminds him of his late pop?

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Ouch. I've gotten my butt kicked quite a few times in For Glory lately. I'm still at 58% wins, but it's noticable how often I just can't do jack. It's getting kinda frustrating.
I guess it's just the matchmaking giving me harsh matchups after I've had pretty smooth sailing for too long.

Does anybody have pointers at how to approach enemies with Robin?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin's run speed may be sluggish, but his air speed isn't. I typically treat him like I do Wario - if I'm at neutral, I'm jumping around. It helps with positioning, and it also hurts the opponent's. I usually have an Elthunder charged up while I do this too - if I can get the opening, I pelt them with the bolt for 9-10% and then work from there.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Don't; force them to approach you.
I expected that answer, but that doesn't seem to work for me.
Arcfire is too sluggish to really punish most approaches. Most characters are so fast, hitting them before I does not seem to be an option. Running away all the time and trying to charge thunder up to hit them with a well timed arcthunder or thoron is so slow, it runs out the clock more than anything else.
Maybe I'm just too predictable though. People seem to anticipate when I'll try to utilize a shield or Robin's pitiful grab. And even if I shield, I tend to get attacked and hit again before my counterstrike hits the target.

Robin's run speed may be sluggish, but his air speed isn't. I typically treat him like I do Wario - if I'm at neutral, I'm jumping around. It helps with positioning, and it also hurts the opponent's. I usually have an Elthunder charged up while I do this too - if I can get the opening, I pelt them with the bolt for 9-10% and then work from there.
I'll give that a try. While I find Robin's Air to ground game quite bad, it's probably no problem when constantly shorthopping,

Frankly, I think I can boil down most of my problems to me not being fast enough with anticipating grabs or shields, usually leading to me getting hit while unable to strike back.

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
Don't; force them to approach you.
This doesn't really work for characters who have better projectiles / a better neutral game than Robin (which is a lot of characters).

Sheik, in particular, comes to mind. Arcfire is a surefire (hah!) way to get yourself hit when against Sheik; she's simply too fast for it. Thunder is a good annoyance tool, but her needles are faster and don't have an ammo system, which means we lose that too. We basically have to approach her because needles stuff most of our options at a range. Of course, approaching Sheik is a bad idea too since her close range is good. It's a tough match, from what I can tell.

P.S. I didn't mean to insinuate that Robin was weak with the "a lot of characters" comment; he has a lot of tools and is very versatile. Nonetheless his neutral game and general ability to "force people to come to him" seems really overstated, considering the tools the rest of the cast has.

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
If you want a better grab range use the shield canceled dash grab

also, robin has a lot of killing options if you use your LS bair and fair correctly. Even if a tome breaks you can still space out with fair until it comes back. levin sword has 8 charges, and takes like 8 seconds to come back. the tomes take like ten seconds depending on which one, just zone out till it comes back and go back to spamming. also arc fire to uair is legit for killing. you can also arc fire into thoron, just remember to hold B to have it do more damage, that combo can kill.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
This and this.
I'll admit that Toon Link has some sort of deservingness factor to him since he represents the Cel-shaded games, but I prefer to have just one Link that encompasses the whole series. Whenever I see "Toon Link is better than Link," it kinda makes me feel a bit disappointed (or maybe even insulted) that there is a better Link. It's like saying, "Link is good, but he could be better if we got rid of Toon Link."
They should make Link more agile because he is far from his slow depiction in Smash in the Zelda games, where he is far more athletic there.
Oh, and if Young Link somehow did return in Smash 4, I would absolutely hate it since it would be a third Link; isn't that overkill? Same can be applied to Project M.

Ganondorf in Brawl was an absolute mockery to what he is, and Smash 4 is just an improvement of that mockery.
Ganondorf is my favorite villain in gaming and I absolutely hate how he has been depicted in Smash. I was OK with him being a Captain Falcon clone in Melee, but he should have received drastic changes in Brawl and especially in this game. The thing that is insulting with Ganondorf is that he has so much to draw from and all of it was ignored. Why only give him his sword in one custom move? Why not let him use it in his moveset? Make his moveset have some sword attacks and some physical attacks, like in his final battle in Twilight Princess. Or how about give him his moves and weapons from the Zelda games, like Dead Man's Volley as his neutral special, he can throw his trident as his down special, and he could teleport in his up special (I'm OK with his side special since it matches Ganondorf's character). The sad thing is that I was quite hopefully for a redone Ganondorf, especially after when Bowser was redone.
Sorry for this long rant, but I just hate Ganondorf in Smash; it's just not Ganondorf to me. Sad thing is that Ganondorf will probably not have justice for a long time...
No, I meant that Young Link REPLACED Toon Link in smash 4. Also, I used to go by 'Toon Link is better than link' but now I more 'Toon Link is more FUN than Link' I will say that both Link's are EXTREMELY fun to play, it's just the young version of Link seems to click better, I don't know why though. I just willl always play as the younger version, whether they is only one or even fiver versions.. Though I 200%+ agree with your statement about Ganon. Why not have some magic. E.g His B special could be his Dark ball of magic from OoT that can be reflected by anything, including ganon, just like the game. Tennis match anyone

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
The true loss of SSB4- the most beautifully and perfectly irritating taunt.
How does this character kill anything

The damage is there but I can't land ANYTHING.

I was looking forward to playing Robin because I'm a Fire Emblem nerd... I've got nearly all the supports unlocked in Awakening and have played through it close to 20 times. Then I learned I'm absolutely trash with this character and hate the way s/he feels.
I feel like Robin is a character you can't just pick up and ace. When I first used her, I went through a LOT of Arcfire tomes and barely touched any other attacks. It took me a lot of time to go from crap to slightly less crap.

"There are maybe a few guests to appear..."
I see what you did there.
This is in the game!? Stupid classes making me miss the Wii U stream... Is it on Youtube anywhere?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
why does everyone hate robin so much in for glory?
I always do matches with people who stay in the room for one match, win or lose, then leave.
when they win they usually taunt which makes me just think they hate robin..
Eh, I know at the start of every for glory match, the robin player is going to roll backwards twice and charge thoron. One before the other maybe.
I usually find her fully charged thoron not reactable to on wifi either, so you cannot shield it. Makes playing against them pretty stupid when rolling is dumb in lag and so is not being able to stop yourself from getting hit by a move not balanced to be usable in neutral... (They aren't the only character though). Side B is janky in wifi as well. Levin Sword is pretty scary hitboxes/damage albeit slow and will come out on top more often on wifi as well.

Also is robin top tier in your opinions? I know the game is early but I would still like to know early thoughts.
It hurts my soul playing a character that clearly has more advantages then other characters. It makes me feel bad because if I win then Its because I'm playing an OP character and if I lose its because I suck for not winning with an OP character.
Looking a solid upper middle tier to me. I find their mobility to be on the poor side, and this effects his top tier match ups (you know, ZSS,Sheik, Greninja, Rosalina). Probably doesn't exactly lose to anybody, but will just not be coming out on top against the tippity top characters. I think there are enough fast characters with reflectors/absorbers that kinda wail on Robin by default.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You should be able to beat Chrom into obedience when he shows up for Robin's Final Smash.

Shaymikyu

I found the video.

Also, LUCAS MY CHILD COME BACK. YOU MUST BE A CO-MAIN WITH ROBIN. DLC makes me so happy!

Shaymikyu

Lucas is already in the game. That's not Ness using PK Starstorm. :lucas:
Lucas and Chrom confirmed best friends.

That explains a lot though. Now Ness can direct the Starstorm... Clearly it's their powers combined. I accept this headcanon unless he returns.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yuka Tsujiyoko is back on board for the Wii U music, so I guess she's the one composing the Fight 1 theme from Gaiden.

She composed for literally every other FE game that's not Thracia 776 though, so who knows where she's going with this.

D

Deleted member

I know that this is strange to mention, but I really hope that Id~Purpose will be on the Wii U version. It will be a major shame if it didn't show up in Coliseum...

Lucas is already in the game. That's not Ness using PK Starstorm. :lucas:
So it's Ness pretending to use PK Starstorm and Lucas suddenly appears behind Ness to preform the move?

Shaymikyu

I know that this is strange to mention, but I really hope that Id~Purpose will be on the Wii U version. It will be a major shame if it didn't show up in Coliseum...

So it's Ness pretending to use PK Starstorm and Lucas suddenly appears behind Ness to preform the move?
Most of the 3DS music will apparently be on the Wii U one. Id~Purpose would be an odd omission since it's probably one of Awakening's more iconic songs.

Don't Speak Her Name, please.

Shaymikyu

The fact that Mewtwo is apparently unlocked through having both games makes me worried this will be a one-time thing because Mewtwo was in very high demand. I'm happy we're getting more characters at all, but it'd make me sad if it begins and ends with Mewtwo. I'd like to at least see the other cut characters return (except Snake because of rights and maybe Ice Climbers because apparently they were trouble to program, though they could bring back Popo with a Nana costume or try and make Nana more like Luma somehow).

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
why does everyone hate robin so much in for glory?
I always do matches with people who stay in the room for one match, win or lose, then leave.
when they win they usually taunt which makes me just think they hate robin..
I didn't know people hated Robin in For Glory matches. Most of my matches with Robin against others would last a while before I switch to another character. It was very rare if someone left after one match after joining.
Also is robin top tier in your opinions? I know the game is early but I would still like to know early thoughts.
It hurts my soul playing a character that clearly has more advantages then other characters. It makes me feel bad because if I win then Its because I'm playing an OP character and if I lose its because I suck for not winning with an OP character.
Top tier? No. Robin has weaknesses just like everyone else. Most of the time, he can lose to anyone who's fast on the ground or has a speedy air game, at least in my experience.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Most of the 3DS music will apparently be on the Wii U one. Id~Purpose would be an odd omission since it's probably one of Awakening's more iconic songs.

Don't Speak Her Name, please.
I really want 'You may call me Marth'

I also want Fi's Lament too, like Midna's Lament

Also, MEWTWO IN SMASH 4. THAT'S AWESOME. However, I have a question. Do I have to purchase super smash bros on the date Metwo dlc is release or since I have already bought it, can I automatically download him for free? I'm really confused

Shaymikyu

I really want 'You may call me Marth'

I also want Fi's Lament too, like Midna's Lament

Also, MEWTWO IN SMASH 4. THAT'S AWESOME. However, I have a question. Do I have to purchase super smash bros on the date Metwo dlc is release or since I have already bought it, can I automatically download him for free? I'm really confused
I'd assume you can get him automatically, whether you get it before or after as well. It'd be silly particularly if they told you that you couldn't get Mewtwo if you get it before he's released because don't they want to sell the Wii U version ASAP?

Still hoping for DLC alt costumes. I wonder if Mewtwo will only be if you get both versions or if they'll release a paid version as well if you only get one version.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I am looking forward to some Gaiden and Jugdral saga music, myself. Something from Sacred Stones wouldn't hurt much. either.

Edit - Oh, and a certain newer track.
Yes, all of these. I have a few additional choices from FE4 too.
I'm assuming it involves the currently-useless "connect to Wii U" button on the 3DS main menu.

Shaymikyu

In terms of non-FE music, I want from my other two favorite franchises:
Pokémon-
Some city themes (especially Laverre, Snowbelle, or White Opelucid)
Vs. Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde
Vs. Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza
Main Theme
Vs. Diantha
Vs. Iris
Vs. Team Plasma (either version)
Vs. N
Vs. Team Flare
KISEKI (if they can make Mother 3 Love Theme a battle theme...)
Vs. Lance/Red
Vs. Kanto Gym Leader

Mother/EarthBound-
Wisdom of the World (especially if they have Magicant not exclusive to 3DS)
Pollyanna (or Melee's Mother 2)
Your Sanctuary Boss Theme
Because I Love You (or better yet, Melee's Fourside track)
Unfounded Revenge/Smashing Song of Praise
Mother 3 Love Theme
New Age Retro Hippie battle theme (shame it seems to have rights issues, apparently?)

Hong

The Strongest
Why not have SEGA, Capcom, and Bandai Namco have some music (and trophies) not necessarily related to the fighters? Don't need to go crazy... even just a small handful will do.

Plus some well-known trophies of characters who have appeared on Nintendo consoles. Ryu from Street Fighter, Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia, as well as perhaps Red and Blue from Gunstar Heroes.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Speaking of Mother- am I the only one who noticed EVE in the edited picture portion? It's a minor thing and doesn't really mean anything, but it always makes me happy to see some love for Mother 1 since it didn't get much attention in the other SSBs.

Hong

The Strongest
Speaking of Mother- am I the only one who noticed EVE in the edited picture portion? It's a minor thing and doesn't really mean anything, but it always makes me happy to see some love for Mother 1 since it didn't get much attention in the other SSBs.
Thank goodness it got some love in Smash 4 3DS, but sadly I don't think we'll get Magicant as a stage in HD. :(

Noooooooooooo~

Shaymikyu

Thank goodness it got some love in Smash 4 3DS, but sadly I don't think we'll get Magicant as a stage in HD. :(

Noooooooooooo~
Unfortunately.:sadeyes: I'd love to see it in HD.

I hope we get another Mother stage in SSB Wii U and not just Onett. Maybe Saturn Valley or Threed? Or Moonside? Or the Cave of the Past? We only have one Mother rep, but it didn't stop Melee from having Onett AND Fourside.

Top Bottom