• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I hope that you're enjoying it. The Tiki recruitment level is one of my favorites. It's quite a challenge if you aren't over-leveled.
I am enjoying it, yes. The story is kinda of bad, to be honest, but it is not like I care about story in games. The game is a great audiovisual experience with addicting gameplay, so it is a good game in my books.
Oh yes, the rythm based gameplay, how to not make a Rythm heaven game.
Granted it wasn't a hard game but honestly that system of learning some kind of secret rythm to each song in order to perform better in battle is mind boggling.
The rhythm-based battle system makes the game unplayable on emulators, by the way. I tried playing the English patched ROM once but it was extremely frustrating so I gave up.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Everyone is entitled to liking a certain game or not. Everyone is in love with Final Fantasy VI and thinks that XIII is the joke of the series, but I only found VI alright and absolutely love XIII.

I can see Lightning, Aria, Remus and Robin.. but why Ethan? XD
It's my pen name that I use when writing anonymously. One day I'll write something substantial and slap my real name on it, but until then, I always use Ethan ________ (it changes) when I submit something.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Back on Mother 3, my brother played it, and loved all the deeper elements. He liked the challenging rhythm battles, and the story. He has little interest however, in EarthBound/Mother. He's more into complex things, and I'm a pseudo-minimalist. You'd think that would make us complete opposites.. and you'd be right. But we complement each other well.

Look at that. A rant on my brother when I started talking MOTHER. :laugh:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Back on Mother 3, my brother played it, and loved all the deeper elements. He liked the challenging rhythm battles, and the story. He has little interest however, in EarthBound/Mother. He's more into complex things, and I'm a pseudo-minimalist. You'd think that would make us complete opposites.. and you'd be right. But we complement each other well.

Look at that. A rant on my brother when I started talking MOTHER. :laugh:
Ha, I'm the same with my family. All of us excel different genres (I like RPGs, one brother likes shooters and fighting games, while the youngest one is an expert platformer), but we all come together and enjoy Smash Bros most of all (but I'm sure that you could guess which one of us has the edge, le sigh)!

I am enjoying it, yes. The story is kinda of bad, to be honest, but it is not like I care about story in games. The game is a great audiovisual experience with addicting gameplay, so it is a good game in my books.
Fair enough. Yeah, some games aren't really known for a moving story but are still fantastic. Look at every Pokémon game (except for Mystery Dungeon... those were feels trips)!

Still, I encourage you to play around with the supports. While they aren't important to the main story, they are witty, hilarious, and occasionally heartwarming. Yeah, the story of Awakening isn't earth-shattering, but the characterization that you get by doing all of the supports really makes this game's characters shine. Personal favorites of mine are Henry, Owain, Inigo, Robin, Lucina, and Female Morgan (Male Morgan is great too, but the female one has a devilish streak).

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I enjoyed Mother 3, but not nearly as much as EarthBound. Not that it's a bad game, but the simplicity of EarthBound wins me over.
Mother 2 for me I find also has the effect of evoking emotions in me for successive playthroughs more than Mother 3. I don't know what it is... I guess it's because they didn't try to tell you when, or what, you should feel.

For example, whenever Ness comes home after a long journey... something about how his mother is always ready to make him his favourite food is touching. No matter how strong and amazing Ness can become, he's just a little boy and he can get a little homesick from time-to-time. He's human, and even without words you know that.

(Video will glitch from time-to-time, as it was hard-coded to English and unintended for YouTube's player.)
Oh yes, the rythm based gameplay, how to not make a Rythm heaven game.
Granted it wasn't a hard game but honestly that system of learning some kind of secret rythm to each song in order to perform better in battle is mind boggling.
If they ever remake it, they should just have visuals cues to accompany it. Takes away some of the strategy of hypnosis and whatnot, but it's not worth the drawback of ambiguity.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm purchasing Awakening from the eShop and readying for a fresh run.

I blame you all for this. And sales.

To cut in on the Mother talk, Earthbound was amazing, little more to say. Mother 3 less so. I was fairly moved by the events near the end of the first chapter, and adored many of the characters, but nothing else quite struck the right chord.

And now back to spectating, before I become an actual regular or something.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

(Video will glitch from time-to-time, as it was hard-coded to English and unintended for YouTube's player.)
Aw, that made me both happy and sad at the same time. I've only played about two hours of it, but that was only because a new game came out the next day and I got absorbed by that game. I really want to go back to it now... but Smash Bros!!!!

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Mother 2 for me I find also has the effect of evoking emotions in me for successive playthroughs more than Mother 3. I don't know what it is... I guess it's because they didn't try to tell you when, or what, you should feel.

For example, whenever Ness comes home after a long journey... something about how his mother is always ready to make him his favourite food is touching. No matter how strong and amazing Ness can become, he's just a little boy and he can get a little homesick from time-to-time. He's human, and even without words you know that.
Yeah, and ironically the emotional moments in Mother 3 that worked the best were the more subtle ones, like walking outside Lucas's house after the time skip and seeing the island being turned into a factory by Porky.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Thunder 2 is a strong variant. All of the moves take longer to charge. They were all tested on Dark Pit with no stale moves.

Thunder- 5% damage, small knockback, 10 uses.
Elthunder- 11% damage, more knockback (not a KO move until ~150%), 4 uses.
Arcthunder- 13% damage, more knockback (KOs at ~120%), 3 uses.
Thoron- 17% damage, far knockback (KOs at 100%), 1 use.

While I used to not be sold on using up his tomes faster, one could intentionally use up Thunder rapidly and then catch the falling tome, which itself KOs at 110. My original idea was to waste Nosferatu if it didn't suit your play style (since it's used up in 4 uses and shouldn't be missed too much), but with this move you won't even need to do that. Interesting...

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
While I admit a lot of the things said in this thread would be awesome, unfortunately it's already been said (and now proven) that outside of Palutena and the Mii Fighters, the custom moves are simply the default moves with different properties.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Going to close this thread to separate some speculation discussion from information that's already available to us. You can refer to @ Raziek Raziek 's thread for information on Robin's custom special moves.

Hong

The Strongest
I hope the blast zones are a little tighter for the Wii U stages. :/

Either that, or hopefully they consider downward DI to be an issue that needs to be resolved. Feels like people are surviving things they shouldn't be able to.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Either that, or hopefully they consider downward DI to be an issue that needs to be resolved. Feels like people are surviving things they shouldn't be able to.
Hopefully, though judging from the e3 build, that doesn't seems to be the case, i guess this time they really want people to survive as long as possible so that Lucario's mechanic is actually useful :awesome:.

Hong

The Strongest
I got to play the Japanese version today. It's a GREAT GAME...

But because it's a great game, the things that bother me stand out. I wish hit-stun and perhaps gravity were increased just a little bit more, for example. I know it's so early, but I never like situations where I feel someone was unfairly hit by someone suffering their attack, while they are still in the recovery frames of the attack that hit their enemy. Like 20% more hit-stun maybe?

In a rare case I can say it's okay, like Falco's laser or something.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

While I've noticed it, it hasn't been a thing that I've been concerned about. To be honest, I think that it's easier to KO people in this game. It's not the blast zones though- it's the ledge mechanics. Something about them just feels safer. It's probably since edge-hogging is impossible now. In Brawl and Project M, I sucked at edge-guarding and often just wouldn't out of fear of a self-destruct. Now, with the new ledges, I feel more courageous and am more inclined to jump off the ledge to go for a meteor smash. I could accurately meteor smash with three characters in Project M- Ivysaur, Zelda, and Charizard. In Smash 4 I can meteor smash with at least nine (Palutena, Lucina, Charizard, Robin, Ness, etc...).

Hong

The Strongest
I am biased as a 64 player. We can go through 5 stocks in like under 3 minutes, for friendlies. 2 minutes if it's a blowout. :b

Right now, Smash 4 is looking to be a 2-stocker for competitive play, but I hope as we get better at the game we can get it up to 3 stocks. I'm a player, but I am also a tournament organizer, so these things are very important, for me.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I am biased as a 64 player. We can go through 5 stocks in like under 3 minutes, for friendlies. 2 minutes if it's a blowout. :b

Right now, Smash 4 is looking to be a 2-stocker for competitive play, but I hope as we get better at the game we can get it up to 3 stocks. I'm a player, but I am also a tournament organizer, so these things are very important, for me.
When Wario becomes top tier, matches will only be 1 minute long, just you wait.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

Ah good point. As a non-competitive smasher, I hadn't thought of the tournament side of things. Good point though- while slightly longer matches mean nothing when playing among friends, it's suddenly a big issue when a hundred people try to play.

Uh... your sig's going to need to change... (unless you're holding out for DLC). That said, great taste in characters (again), even more so since I've come around to really liking Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. Lemmy.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
But in all seriousness, after watching many streams, the term that seems to pop the most is people shouting "That didn't kill you?!!". Most characters have really good recoveries, like prety much everyone but Little Mac, Doctor Mario, Captain and Ganondorf, won't get KO'd unless you straight up send them flying.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
But in all seriousness, after watching many streams, the term that seems to pop the most is people shouting "That didn't kill you?!!". Most characters have really good recoveries, like prety much everyone but Little Mac, Doctor Mario, Captain and Ganondorf, won't get KO'd unless you straight up send them flying.
It's so weird that I felt similarly when it came to Brawl, but the exact opposite (I hope that it makes sense in the sentences to come). There were so many times where I was sent flying, my controller would vibrate, and then it'd stop and I'd think that I was safe. The very next second... BLAST! I'd been KO'd. Sometimes it just seemed as if I'd been hit far, survived, but then suddenly magically floated out of the screen. My friends and I would always open our eyes wide and say "Really?"

Edit: Maybe this is why the blast zones seem so drastically different this time around. We got used to earlier KOs than felt realistic in Brawl and now that the "floating" to be killed is gone, it just feels unnatural.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Ah good point. As a non-competitive smasher, I hadn't thought of the tournament side of things. Good point though- while slightly longer matches mean nothing when playing among friends, it's suddenly a big issue when a hundred people try to play.

Uh... your sig's going to need to change... (unless you're holding out for DLC). That said, great taste in characters (again), even more so since I've come around to really liking Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. Lemmy.
I know. Also, Roy is the best Bowser Jr. alt.

Hong

The Strongest
All the more reason to allow custom special moves in tournaments. More moves = more chances of a specific button being good. More good buttons usually means more killing.:colorful: But sometimes it can backfire and we might get a super broken custom special move that drags out the game.

Like imagine if :4diddy: got his nanners back.

Folt

Smash Ace
On the subject of which gender of Robin's that's popular, I actualy think both genders are about equal. Which is really nice.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
On the subject of which gender of Robin's that's popular, I actualy think both genders are about equal. Which is really nice.
Seeing how Smash is popular with both males and females, it's no large wonder why both are popular.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Anyone else get the sense Robin is going to have to go in on projectile-heavy characters?

For instance, Link can easily overwhelm Robin with his trio of excellent projectiles. The Thunder line is a long-ranged series of spells, but like any of his tomes, it's not spammable. Robin also just so happens to be not the most fleet-of-foot. In that regard, I have an easy time imagining the necessitation of spells like Arcthunder and Arcfire to distract projectile-heavy users enough to keep the fight close, where Robin has a lot reasonably quick attacks.Nintendo should remake it for 3DS IMO.
Arcfire 3 will help a lot, because you can shoot it downwards at him, an angle he can't easily deal with.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I know. Also, Roy is the best Bowser Jr. alt.
Have we heard his crowd chant yet? I so hope that it's "Roy's our boy."

All the more reason to allow custom special moves in tournaments. More moves = more chances of a specific button being good. More good buttons usually means more killing.:colorful: But sometimes it can backfire and we might get a super broken custom special move that drags out the game.

Like imagine if :4diddy: got his nanners back.
Then there's also the idea that less stocks means less time to figure out what custom moves the opponent is packing. DK might not even pull out his gust punch (or whatever it's called) until the last stock and then when he uses it while Robin is trying to recover, Robin won't be prepared and will plummet to his death. Depending on how you look at it, this could be a good or a bad thing.

Side note: Pushing/blowing moves seem much more effective this time around. Not only have they been improved, but lots of characters now have recoveries that aren't straightforward attacks and leave them vulnerable to being blown away (like Robin, Villager, and Megaman to name a few).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh, also, I'll reintroduce myself, as I'm now officially moderating these boards!
Anyway, an official introduction, since I plan to be around here a LOT.

I'm Raziek! I'm from Halifax, Nova Scotia (which is in Canada) and I'm 22.

Started playing Smash comeptitively with Brawl in 2009, and progressed from there into a leadership position in my local scene, organizing events, running brackets, etc. I'm very passionate about competitive Smash and growing my community, I've made so many amazing friends through mutual love for this game.

I main Marth in Brawl, Sheik in Project M/Melee.

Characters that interest me for Smash 4 thus far: Robin (plan to main), Lucina, Marth, Ike, Sheik, Greninja. I tend to like fast characters with good space control, either by means of projectiles, or strong disjoints.

I'm also an extremely avid Fire Emblem player. Started with FE7 around the time it released (amazingly, not because of Melee) and fell in love with the series. I've played every English FE numerous times on the hardest difficulties, with one or two exceptions.

I also enjoy making custom sprites as a hobby (my avatar is one such sprite).
Good to be here, I'll be generating a lot of information and guides for Robin, I think.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
@Ravestickman , I've locked this thread as this kind of thought doesn't really warrant its own thread. Feel free to make the comment in the social thread if you'd like, that's more along the lines of where it belongs.

Hong

The Strongest
Wow were the range of Robin's grab and Nosferatu ever sold up pre-release. They're not that good.

Though Nosferatu is still a command-grab, so even if the range is a little stiff, it'll be usable.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Nosferatu is absolutely usable. His standing grab is AWFUL.

Turbo-bad. Pivot-grab is pretty good though.

Hong

The Strongest
The thing that throws me off is the actual grab is a very specific part of the animation. As a Bowser main in Melee, I'm used to using Koopa Claw from relatively high up and getting rather generous results upon landing. With Nosferatu, it seems you need to use it a little later closer to landing, or else it misses even though they are engulfed in shadow.

Granted, I don't own this version and don't get a lot of time with it.

Top Bottom