• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Though really. It would have been better if it was just ended. And I'm not saying this because of my feelings for Mother 3.

Mother 3 came out a whole 12 years after Mother 2. At this time, we had a beaten, worn, disheartened and unenergized Shigesato Itoi. Mother 64/Mother 3 is probably one of the worst and most painful memories for not only Itoi, but Miyamoto and Iwata as well. I don't care about about the latter two too much, but I care about Itoi, and I wish it was just put away forever. Not as bad as the Virtual Boy (Rest in Beeps, Gunpei Yokoi), but still a horrid scar for the company. While Mother 3 has a story based on Mother 64, it had started development over and over and over again. Who knows what his state of mind was like when it came to the final draft.

In the world of game development, if you revise something over and over, it gets better and better so long as it's just planning and production has not begun. But the moment you actually begin production, you have people to pay, time to be taken, licensing to do, to have to remake the same game over and over when money is involved is so horrible. Just to imagine that being on his conscious is awful. No one should have to deal with that. I don't blame him for being done with the series.

For reference, while it's a long read, this is a good read regarding Mother 3's horrible development history. I have a lot to be thankful for Itoi... I played EarthBound back in 1995 and it changed my life more than any game. Just hearing about what he is up to and the things he does, I have always looked up to him. To me Shigesato Itoi is to Mother 3 as Bruce Lee is to Game of Death. It shouldn't have been completed. I don't like this as part of his memory as a game developer.

Heck, I wish he had just taken a supervisory role and let someone else direct the game. There is no doubt that Itoi's writing and creative vision is something to be admired, but I think he should have let someone else direct the game and worry more about just the creative side of things. Kind of like how Sakurai, while he doesn't direct Kirby games anymore, is still involved to make sure that Kirby is still Kirby.
So...does that make Hong a damn elitist for not liking Mother 3?

:happysheep:

i kid, i kid
I feel like that avatar is a minor meme in of itself, and it's usually used against me.:023:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Though really. It would have been better if it was just ended. And I'm not saying this because of my feelings for Mother 3.

Mother 3 came out a whole 12 years after Mother 2. At this time, we had a beaten, worn, disheartened and unenergized Shigesato Itoi. Mother 64/Mother 3 is probably one of the worst and most painful memories for not only Itoi, but Miyamoto and Iwata as well. I don't care about about the latter two too much, but I care about Itoi, and I wish it was just put away forever. Not as bad as the Virtual Boy (Rest in Beeps, Gunpei Yokoi), but still a horrid scar for the company. While Mother 3 has a story based on Mother 64, it had started development over and over and over again.

In the world of game development, if you revise something over and over, it gets better and better so long as it's just planning and production has not begun. But the moment you actually begin production, you have people to pay, time to be taken, licensing to do, to have to remake the same game over and over when money is involved is so horrible. Just to imagine that being on his conscious is awful. No one should have to deal with that. I don't blame him for being done with the series.

For reference, while it's a long read, this is a good read regarding Mother 3's horrible development history. I have a lot to be thankful for Itoi... I played EarthBound back in 1995 and it changed my life more than any game. Just hearing about what he is up to and the things he does, I have always looked up to him. To me Shigesato Itoi is to Mother 3 as Bruce Lee is to Game of Death. It shouldn't have been completed. I don't like this as part of his memory as a game developer.

Heck, I wish he had just taken a supervisory role and let someone else direct the game. There is no doubt that Itoi's writing and creative vision is something to be admired, but I think he should have let someone else direct the game and worry more about just the creative side of things. Kind of like how Sakurai, while he doesn't direct Kirby games anymore, is still involved to make sure that Kirby is still Kirby.
I feel like that avatar is a minor meme in of itself, and it's usually used against me.:023:
Yeah, the game has a completely different soul on itself, it's kind of unreal.
It's actually kinda ironic, like if they made the story so sad to reflect on how the development process went down.
Hopefully one day Itoi will make another game, free of compromises to fans or anything, something that he has fun doing this time.
...though i still love the soundtrack.

Hong

The Strongest
Hopefully one day Itoi will make another game, free of compromises to fans or anything, something that he has fun doing this time.
...though i still love the soundtrack.
Shigesato Itoi's Bass Fishing #2 :4robinf:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Additionally, I do kind of wish that the green and red Robins had been flipped. I had a red-haired:4robinm: and a green-haired :4robinf: in my games. But I'm currently using regular-flavor :4robinm: just for the sake of being used to seeing it.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I wished both Robins had 8 colors each, so they wouldn't have had to split the color distributions. I would've loved to play as Blue-haired F!Robin, but alas, I shall be fine with "Anna" colored and "Olivia" colored Robin. :p

Should have given them separate slots

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I played EarthBound last year on the Wii U Virtual Console and I absolutely loved it. I loved the gameplay, the witty dialogue, the characters, and the themes. In fact, I loved it so much that I did a second playthrough.
I haven't played Mother 3, but I saw Chuggaaconroy's LP of it. It looked interesting to me, but I rather play the game whenever Nintendo decides to release the game.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I played EarthBound last year on the Wii U Virtual Console and I absolutely loved it. I loved the gameplay, the witty dialogue, the characters, and the themes. In fact, I loved it so much that I did a second playthrough.
I haven't played Mother 3, but I saw Chuggaaconroy's LP of it. It looked interesting to me, but I rather play the game whenever Nintendo decides to release the game.
So you'll never play the game then.

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone else get the sense Robin is going to have to go in on projectile-heavy characters?

For instance, Link can easily overwhelm Robin with his trio of excellent projectiles. The Thunder line is a long-ranged series of spells, but like any of his tomes, it's not spammable. Robin also just so happens to be not the most fleet-of-foot. In that regard, I have an easy time imagining the necessitation of spells like Arcthunder and Arcfire to distract projectile-heavy users enough to keep the fight close, where Robin has a lot reasonably quick attacks.
So you'll never play the game then.
Nintendo should remake it for 3DS IMO.

I believe in the Mother series. I think the world, the writing and the simple characters can appeal to a modern audience. Just a matter of improving the surface appeal so that it's visible to the mass market... at least as far as the mass market as video games go. 3DS is such a strong platform as far as commercial success, with a huge install-base of people who love personal experiences, and the games are relatively cheap in comparison to HD home consoles.

Make it happen, Nintendo. e3 2015!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Anyone else get the sense Robin is going to have to go in on projectile-heavy characters?

For instance, Link can easily overwhelm Robin with his trio of excellent projectiles. The Thunder line is a long-ranged series of spells, but like any of his tomes, it's not spammable. Robin also just so happens to be not the most fleet-of-foot. In that regard, I have an easy time imagining the necessitation of spells like Arcthunder and Arcfire to distract projectile-heavy users enough to keep the fight close, where Robin has a lot reasonably quick attacks.Nintendo should remake it for 3DS IMO.
I find that Arcfire is a useful tool for this reason. If I'm forced to approach, I'll throw one of these bad boys at them and force them to either dodge to me or from me, giving me enough time for a smash attack or a Thunder/Elthunder. It unnerves people, just like PK Fire. When forced to run in, use it and put the opponent on the defensive so that you can capitalize with the Levin Sword.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

For instance, Link can easily overwhelm Robin with his trio of excellent projectiles. The Thunder line is a long-ranged series of spells, but like any of his tomes, it's not spammable. Robin also just so happens to be not the most fleet-of-foot. In that regard, I have an easy time imagining the necessitation of spells like Arcthunder and Arcfire to distract projectile-heavy users enough to keep the fight close, where Robin has a lot reasonably quick attacks.
I guess, though i think Robin doesn't have to rely heavily on projectiles, her aerials are pretty good too.
Versatility is the key.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I feel like the male has a much better voice actor. imo
Agreed. It's great to have another female in the cast, but I personally play as the male almost exclusively. It's just that when I think of Robin, it's typically a guy since I used a male in my own Awakening.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Male Robin is much more popular than Female Robin, if anything. Which is a damn shame if you ask me. ^^''

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Not with the people I StreetPass. Japan, too. Lots of female Robin build 2 over there.
Same here. At the conventions I've been to, I've encountered a lot more F!Robins with various builds than M!Robin. I've seen plenty of type 1s, type 2s, and type 3s, but with M!Robin I've only met those who had the type 1 body. Sometimes I would come across someone with a type 2 build, but rarely. Almost never type 3.

In Smash, however, I'm expecting there to be more M!Robin players than F!Robin players because of the trailer alone. But I wouldn't be surprised if I turn out to be wrong. Treehouse seemed to prefer using her instead of M!Robin in the Smash stream.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Not with the people I StreetPass. Japan, too. Lots of female Robin build 2 over there.
Ah, Streetpass. I don't get much of that where I'm from. I do get a bunch whenever I have to head into NYC though.

Best online match ever. I was just battling Link (go figure). We were both over 100% on our last legs and my Levin Sword was flashing. I'd better break it soon so that I can get it back quickly. So I jumped over him and smashed him with my Dair. Link flew upwards, as did my Levin Sword, but I jumped back and caught it just as Link was about to use his Dair on my. I rolled backwards and smash threw my Levin Sword at him for a KO. It felt incredible!!!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Quick question: can Robin pick up and throw broken tomes at opponents like he/she can throw the Levin Sword once it's used up?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Quick question: can Robin pick up and throw broken tomes at opponents like he/she can throw the Levin Sword once it's used up?
Yes! I haven't done it myself since they're smaller and harder to snag, but someone in the moveset discussion thread said that they're actually stronger than his sword when thrown!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes! I haven't done it myself since they're smaller and harder to snag, but someone in the moveset discussion thread said that they're actually stronger than his sword when thrown!
Excellent, now my plan for defeating opponents with the power of literature shall proceed as planned... :evil:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Excellent, now my plan for defeating opponents with the power of literature shall proceed as planned... :evil:

Excellent.

Can't wait to kill people with throwing used-up tomes, either!

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

Oh my gosh. I just tested the book. It does 18% as opposed to the 15% that the Levin Sword did on a 100% Dark Pit. But that's not all- the book KO'd him! From 100%. At the starting position on N's Castle Final Destination. Wow. On repeat attempts, it's done 17% and not KO'd, but still, that's bringing the enemy right to death's threshold...

Also, as a tip, if you want to get the book ASAP and don't mind wasting Nosferatu, it breaks after only 4 uses. It does take 40 seconds to recharge, so weigh your options... (Edit: It also reliable KO's DP at 110% regardless. If using up Nosferatu just for this becomes a legitimate strategy, can we call it Tactician Throwing? I'd love a move named after me).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You haven't played Awakening yet? or are we referring to Smash streetpass? :confused:
I am talking about Robin in Smash ._. I am currently playing Awakening for the first time, actually. I am on chapter 17 or something (the Tiki one).

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I am talking about Robin in Smash ._. I am currently playing Awakening for the first time, actually. I am on chapter 17 or something (the Tiki one).
I hope that you're enjoying it. The Tiki recruitment level is one of my favorites. It's quite a challenge if you aren't over-leveled.

Hong

The Strongest
WHAT!?!?!? @ Hong Hong doesn't like Mother 3?
In general, I lean towards simple games.

Mother 1 had the simplest story, simplest gameplay, simplest system, etc. Mother 3 was the exact opposite, and Mother 2 was the middle-ground. If there is something I liked the most about Mother 3, is I found it was cleaner and more colourful than Mother 2, even though that game looked great in its own right. All three had equally great music IMO.

But I am getting off my mark. I just thought Mother 3 had too much baggage overall, both in the writing and the gameplay.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In general, I lean towards simple games.

Mother 1 had the simplest story, simplest gameplay, simplest system, etc. Mother 3 was the exact opposite, and Mother 2 was the middle-ground. If there is something I liked the most about Mother 3, is I found it was cleaner and more colourful than Mother 2, even though that game looked great in its own right. All three had equally great music IMO.

But I am getting off my mark. I just thought Mother 3 had too much baggage overall, both in the writing and the gameplay.
I enjoyed Mother 3, but not nearly as much as EarthBound. Not that it's a bad game, but the simplicity of EarthBound wins me over.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Oh yes, the rythm based gameplay, how to not make a Rythm heaven game.
Granted it wasn't a hard game but honestly that system of learning some kind of secret rythm to each song in order to perform better in battle is mind boggling.

Top Bottom