• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I WANT BOTH!!!
Oh, and Dancer Lucina, even though that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Am I in the minority when I say that I don't like Aversa's design? It looks terrible in my opinion.
Evil fanservice is bad in both ways unless the villain is a great villain and not some boring lady like Aversa. The fanservice seems forced.

And you're not a minority.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It's official. Robin's trailer took away my ability to get hyped by any other announcement.

Edit: In Sakurai's defense, rewatching Robin's trailer over and over again probably didnt help.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
It's official. Robin's trailer took away my ability to get hyped by any other announcement.
Three characters, one of them being the best Fire Emblem representative, one of them being one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters, and Captain ****ing Falcon. Not to mention the actual storytelling of the trailer, the features revealed (female Robin, Chrom Final Smash), and superior dialogue.

Even as a Shulk fan, his trailer was honestly a mixed bag. Should have focused more on the vision thing by having him avoid attacks from like three fighters simultaneously. Not to mention the "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" felt so out of place. The actual clashes of steel and gameplay were sweet, though.

The only thing that's close to Robin's trailer is the first trailer, and mostly because I will always associate it with seeing it for the first time with that Mega Man Dual Strike of hype.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Jaggedy lightning sword + magic books > red plastic-looking Fisher-Price toy + lasers.

Chain Attack was all kinds of awesome though. Makes me want to get the game and learn more about Dunban.

Hong

The Strongest
Really, though. They should have thrown in Wario or something in Shulk's trailer. I think the Monado is even harder to understand than Robin's magic, so I'm afraid there is not a lot for people unfamiliar with the character to appreciate. Besides the music, anyway.
Makes me want to get the game and learn more about Dunban.
He's even better than he looks.

Which is saying a lot, because he looked great in that trailer.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best console RPG I have played in ages, You should get it.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Three characters, one of them being the best Fire Emblem representative, one of them being one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters, and Captain ****ing Falcon. Not to mention the actual storytelling of the trailer, the features revealed (female Robin, Chrom Final Smash), and superior dialogue.

Even as a Shulk fan, his trailer was honestly a mixed bag. Should have focused more on the vision thing by having him avoid attacks from like three fighters simultaneously. Not to mention the "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" felt so out of place. The actual clashes of steel and gameplay were sweet, though.

The only thing that's close to Robin's trailer is the first trailer, and mostly because I will always associate it with seeing it for the first time with that Mega Man Dual Strike of hype.
Yeah, Shulk has way better quotes to use then "I'm really feeling it!"
Something memorable like "The future doesn't belong to you!" would have been better. Maybe I'm really feeling it was the only thing they could dub to Shulk's lips.

Also, really poor selection for the team attack Final Smash. With choices like Sharla or Reyn, they go with Riki and Dunban? Riki makes sense, but why Dunban?

Personally, I think the while the FMV is pretty, looks out of place for some characters. Shulk looks noticeable younger in his FMV, and I really hate Link's look in Mega Man's trailer. The Robin trailer works because it's in the style of Awakening.

Last edited:

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, a lot of people's hype for Shulk got lost after the ESRB leak video showed his gameplay footage. Also could anyone imagine what would have happened if the dates of Robin and Shulk's trailer got switched around?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Maybe I'll go search for it in two weeks when I get my paycheck. I know there were a few copies in town before I moved, so I could try looking there again.

I'm just a sucker for older mentor types that Dunban seems to be. Especially those who seem to have old war wounds and memories of that that affect him today. Dunban not showing his right arm during that whole Chain Attack sequence must have meant something.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
To be fair, a lot of people's hype for Shulk got lost after the ESRB leak video showed his gameplay footage. Also could anyone imagine what would have happened if the dates of Robin and Shulk's trailer got switched around?
That's definitely true. I think the Robin trailer has the edge because it's three character reveals rather than just one.

Best party member (along with Riki).
I'm probably just biased in wanting to see my own team, which would be Reyn and Sharla.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I honestly expected a Grima Final Smash and I still think it'd be cooler but a pair-up attack like Chrom matches his character and complements the story of Awakening. The only problem I have with it is that it kinda acts like Ike's Great Aether.
Greninjas does too, to an extent. But there is an awful lot of "rack up damage quickly, then hit hard once" Final Smashes this time around anyway. FS comes roughly in 3 categories: the aforementioned, the one that hits like a mother****ing truck in one hit (Marth, Ganondorf, ....) and tranformations.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Whatever it is, it looks to have hella range. It looks like it reached as far out to where Sonic is. That's just crazy. Looks like it is quite a lengthy animation though.
Those red and white lightning bolts aren't part of the attack, they are part of the hit animation on the red and yellow player.
They show up when a charakter in high % gets hit with an attack that has the potential to KO.
Sadly, that animation makes it really hard to see Robin's attack in that gif.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
From what I've gotten to in let's plays, Dunban seems to be the iconic mentor type and Riki is part of the race that's become the mascot of the series. I think they make sense.
My biggest surprise, really, is the lack of Reyn, but now with Riki as part of Shulk I imagine that just means Reyn might be an assist trophy.

On the topic of Shulk, I think his trailer was spectacular but suffered from Sakurai dickishly not hyping it up before it happened. I personally waited for his pic of the day to see if it was worth it to see the direct, and he posted garbage, so I went to sleep. And that's how while every other newcomer came with hype and anticipation, Shulk just happened. Really sad about that, because otherwise I would have been floored by the hype in that trailer.

And to keep things on topic, I want to see a nice back and forth of

what time is it?

Robin: TIME TO TIP THE SCALES
Shulk: IT'S SHULK TIME
Robin: TIME TO TIP THE SCALES
Shulk: IT'S SHULK TIME
etc.

meanwhile
Chrom: ON MY MARK!
Dunban: ON MY MARK!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Won't argue that Robin's trailer ended up being more exciting. Brief as it was, it had a surprisingly well done mini plot.

And establishing Falcon into greater badass territory.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Controversial opinion time:

I care 0% about Captain Falcon. And it made me sad that most people were all "OMG CAPTAIN FALCON" when the trailer was slapping everyone in the face with one of the most uniquely awesome Fire Emblem additions possible.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well now that Shulk has been announced and his announcement is done and over with it, we can look forward to other reveals.

While gushing over Robin. And I agree with you guys that Robin's trailer was much more badass as well had more hype to it. It was an international reveal and showcased 3 characters, 2 new and one returning! The Shulk trailer was great but the english version was just uploaded on Youtube while the reveal was Japan only.

Well I will keep hoping that Isaac gets an International reveal like Robin! While challenging some returning veteran! An epic trailer for another Robin (Isaac's name in Japanese)!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

I care 0% about Captain Falcon. And it made me sad that most people were all "OMG CAPTAIN FALCON" when the trailer was slapping everyone in the face with one of the most uniquely awesome Fire Emblem additions possible.
You would have hated me back then, it seems, because I had that same biased reaction.

But then this happened.

Amazing what interest does to you.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
But that's the magic of Smash, really.

Like I got Earthbound because of having gotten to play every single game represented in smash except Mother, Gyromite/Stack-Up and Metal Gear Solid, and of those I only cared to try out Ness's game.

Couple weeks later I'm almost done with Mother 3 and I want all of the mother merchandise I can find. Also, now I can feel sad about Lucas not being in the game ... woo ...

It's great that more people play Fire Emblem though ... now I totally encourage you to go forth and play the rest of the series and fall in love with it more.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, if Shulk got revealed that Monday instead of Robin, then we'd still have to deal with the Gematsu leak, which would only look more absolute at that point. Robin supporters would continue to be brushed off as delusional.

But eventually, that real leak would come around, which would obviously contradict Gematsu by having Robin and Lucina, and not Chrom. I imagine that the leak would have seemed much less convincing if it didn't go along with the Gematsu leak.

Then Robin's trailer happens and everyone loses their minds.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well, if Shulk got revealed that Monday instead of Robin, then we'd still have to deal with the Gematsu leak, which would only look more absolute at that point. Robin supporters would continue to be brushed off as delusional.

But eventually, that real leak would come around, which would obviously contradict Gematsu by having Robin and Lucina, and not Chrom. I imagine that the leak would have seemed much less convincing if it didn't go along with the Gematsu leak.

Then Robin's trailer happens and everyone loses their minds.
I wished that happened. if only for the complete anarchy.

D

Deleted member

I will say that Robin did have a better reveal trailer than Shulk, but I wasn't any less hyped from it. I'm just ecstatic to finally see him in action!
The best part is that now I can have two of my favorite RPG protagonists from two of my favorite RPGs stand against each other toe to toe in a fighting game to the death. Shulk time vs. Time to tip the scales! The Monado and Monado Arts vs. swords and tomes! It's the battle of two great minds!

On the topic of Shulk, I think his trailer was spectacular but suffered from Sakurai ****ishly not hyping it up before it happened. I personally waited for his pic of the day to see if it was worth it to see the direct, and he posted garbage, so I went to sleep. And that's how while every other newcomer came with hype and anticipation, Shulk just happened. Really sad about that, because otherwise I would have been floored by the hype in that trailer.
I WILL agree on this however. After a week of crap pics, I expected nothing from this Japanese only Direct. That same morning, my most wanted newcomer got confirmed. Don't get me wrong; I'm MORE than happy to see Shulk, but this ticked me off since I couldn't hype myself before hand. Reminds me of the terrible job they did with handling Pac-Man's reveal; revealing him behind closed doors in an all-out Tweet fest.

I like Captain Falcon, but I think that his appearance took away from the trailer. Instead of, "Robin?! Who is that guy? He looks awesome!", we see more of, "OMG! FALCON IS A GOD!" Ugh...

I wished that happened. if only for the complete anarchy.
...Why?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I will say that Robin did have a better reveal trailer than Shulk, but I wasn't any less hyped from it. I'm just ecstatic to finally see him in action!
The best part is that now I can have two of my favorite RPG protagonists from two of my favorite RPGs stand against each other toe to toe in a fighting game to the death. Shulk time vs. Time to tip the scales! The Monado and Monado Arts vs. swords and tomes! It's the battle of two great minds!

I WILL agree on this however. After a week of crap pics, I expected nothing from this Japanese only Direct. That same morning, my most wanted newcomer got confirmed. Don't get me wrong; I'm MORE than happy to see Shulk, but this ticked me off since I couldn't hype myself before hand. Reminds me of the terrible job they did with handling Pac-Man's reveal; revealing him behind closed doors in an all-out Tweet fest.

I like Captain Falcon, but I think that his appearance took away from the trailer. Instead of, "Robin?! Who is that guy? He looks awesome!", we see more of, "OMG! FALCON IS A GOD!" Ugh...

...Why?
I'm bored. I need a good laugh.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I know the build isn't likely but I'm really hoping for this hair/color combination for Female Robin. I think it looks really good.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see this alt design for male Robin, the first picture is the one I chose when played Awakening

But I don't think is likely...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'd love to see this alt design for male Robin, the first picture is the one I chose when played Awakening

But I don't think is likely...

I also used that one in my first playthrough, but with red hair.
...Dunno if I'd do it again though. I actually kinda dig stock Robin, just with different hair color.

Hong

The Strongest
T~T If only Isaac.

Though I can't say I blame them. Already enough whining about anime characters and sword-users.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
T~T If only Isaac.

Though I can't say I blame them. Already enough whining about anime characters and sword-users.
Just make him use only psynergy. Problem solved :p

He keeps his sword at his back all the time cause he is still badass without it.

No offense to the FE Robin or other swordsmen though.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
T~T If only Isaac.

U want anime character whining

Imagine if Mewtwo was revealed and it had Femtwos voice :0

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

I feel kinda similar. Yeah, I understand that many love the good Captain, but he's never really done anything for me. I was loving just seeing Lucina and Robin, but Captain Falcon really didn't affect me at all. I would have loved Ike there personally.

I'm bored. I need a good laugh.
It's so creepy to consider the possibility that Morgan could have been the result of Robin from Lucina's timeline who was conceived when, uh, Lucina was a child... Thankfully, the game specifically goes out of its way to try to convince us that Morgan is from a third timeline... or that could be an elaborate ruse...

Nah. I dislike everything about her, honestly.

Edit - And of course by "Nah", I don't mean a certain manakete. I love everything about her. :)
Ha ha, I agree with pretty much everything you say here!

Hong

The Strongest
You are born in the world of Fire Emblem Awakening.

In terms of place/country/land, where would you prefer to live? The Halidom of Ylisse? The rich and prosperous Plegia? The nigh-ascetic Chon'sin? Any of the other various lands? Perhaps Regna Ferox? Rosanne?

mimgrim

Smash Hero

In terms of place/country/land, where would you prefer to live? The Halidom of Ylisse? The rich and prosperous Plegia? The nigh-ascetic Chon'sin? Any of the other various lands? Perhaps Regna Ferox? Rosanne?
I would live in a mysterious land that is guarded by the Outrealm.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

Eh... I agree kinda. I love Captain Falcon. I had a big smile on my face when I saw him.
What bothers me is the people who treat Falcon's reveal as if it was this momentous occasion which completely eclipses Robin... You know, the character the trailer was for.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

you start these and we can't have enough fun with them, u like seeing us suffer do u @ Hong Hong

I'd live as an unsuspecting powerful unit in Yisse.

Gotta be at a high level to recruit me :seuss:

Hong

The Strongest
I'd choose Regna Ferox.

I certainly don't mind the cold weather part, given where I live currently. It's a place where your ability to fight is your life, and your death. I rather live a short life of glory than a dull life somewhere I am likely to be a tragedy of war, anyway.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Probably Ylisse.

Other places like Plegia and Regna Ferox each have their own appealing qualities, but they also have some extreme qualities (Grima devotion, poor monarchy, and heat for Plegia, and the heavy emphasis on strength and might in Regna Ferox) I wouldn't be able to stand. Ylisse is the most normal and peaceful of all of them, and as such is the most ideal place for me.

D

Deleted member

Hmm...
I would say Ylisse and Plegia. I liked how homely and peaceful Ylisse felt and Plegia is a land that greatly intrigued me (especially with the characters you meet there). Either one of those works for me.

Top Bottom