• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Koiba Koiba GGs. I would've stayed for more matches, but I got stuff that needs taking care of. You play a mighty good Jiggs and Dark Pit; I don't think I've ever fought any that good. Well played. :grin:

:4metaknight:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I want to fight one of you guys sometime, even if half of y'all don't even play Robin. :4drmario:

I've only fought Wintropy Wintropy , Rinku リンク Rinku リンク and @XenoBrawler610 out of all the people in this thread. I got wrecked by all of them lmao
Well I wouldn't say wrecked, your Dedede put up a good fight. :3

I'm just used to fighting bigger opponents, heheh~

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Koiba Koiba GGs. I would've stayed for more matches, but I got stuff that needs taking care of. You play a mighty good Jiggs and Dark Pit; I don't think I've ever fought any that good. Well played. :grin:

:4metaknight:
Daw thank yew ;-;

I was kinda meh though lol

ggs~

And Robins would there be any disadvanteges of SDIind arcfire?

Anyone else wanna play?

Last edited:

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
So I ended up dropping my practice with Mega Man and Greninja and started trying out Luigi and Rosalina. Don't hate me internet but these two are FUN. The highest tier character I main is Falcon (which at best is top of mid tier imo) so it's weird using top tier characters. JV3-ing my friends and some randoms on FG with those two makes me feel like a god Good person
On that note though, anyone want to do 3DS matches? I need more victim- people to practice Rosa and Luigi on [:
I'd also like to get Marth and Falcon practice too
In an unrelated topic I need a labbing buddy for when Cloud drops, but I don't know if anyone here would be willing to sit and lab out his options/other characters' options against him and some preliminary MU projections (of which I plan to do with members of the Cloud boards for the Link/Cloud MU after the preliminary release period has passed).
I plan to hit the lab with Cloud the minute he drops, if he's not a main, he's def going to be a secondary. So i got ya

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well I wouldn't say wrecked, your Dedede put up a good fight. :3

I'm just used to fighting bigger opponents, heheh~
I know, I've seen your results at Irish locals using Pit and they're damn good.

Hope I somewhat helped you with the Dedede knowledge. I'm not the best Dedede around but I am very passionate about the character. ZeRo's analysis on him from earlier today gave me hope that my future with him isn't as bleak as I thought.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The highest tier character I main is Falcon (which at best is top of mid tier imo) so it's weird using top tier characters.
Falcon's widely considered one of the better characters in the game though, he tends to be put just outside of top-tier.

Sorry, just wanted to say that~ :3

I know, I've seen your results at Irish locals using Pit and they're damn good.

Hope I somewhat helped you with the Dedede knowledge. I'm not the best Dedede around but I am very passionate about the character. ZeRo's analysis on him from earlier today gave me hope that my future with him isn't as bleak as I thought.
Again, I think damn good is a bit of a stretch, but thank you~

It did teach me quite a few things about Dedede, which is good. It's a character I struggled with for ages before I finally figured out how to beat him, so it's very helpful to reinforce good habits and see what does and doesn't work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Falcon's widely considered one of the better characters in the game though, he tends to be put just outside of top-tier.

It did teach me quite a few things about Dedede, which is good. It's a character I struggled with for ages before I finally figured out how to beat him, so it's very helpful to reinforce good habits and see what does and doesn't work.
You're welcome. I'd love to fight you again, your Pit is super fun to go against!

On the topic of Falcon, he doesn't click with me anymore. I main him in 64 still and used to main him in Melee and Smash 4, but his playstyle just got boring to me overtime if I'm honest. Even though he gets a lot of a reward once he gets in on his opponent, it feels better when I work my way up with more underrepresented characters like :4gaw: or :4link: that have their abilities grossly underestimated. Plus I don't wanna be one of the many, many Falcon mains there are in Melee. I don't like how he plays in PM, but I do mess around with him on Brawl's online at times. I love F-Zero as a series still though, GX is one of my favorite games ever.

If you're free right now, I can play you.
Sadly I can't, comrade. Doing work atm, but hit me up sometime tomorrow (4:00 PM EST is when I get back home from school usually!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You're welcome. I'd love to fight you again, your Pit is super fun to go against!

On the topic of Falcon, he doesn't click with me anymore. I main him in 64 still and used to main him in Melee and Smash 4, but his playstyle just got boring to me overtime if I'm honest. Even though he gets a lot of a reward once he gets in on his opponent, it feels better when I work my way up with more underrepresented characters like :4gaw: or :4link: that have their abilities grossly underestimated. Plus I don't wanna be one of the many, many Falcon mains there are in Melee. I don't like how he plays in PM, but I do mess around with him on Brawl's online at times. I love F-Zero as a series still though, GX is one of my favorite games ever.
Friend of mine (who mained Falcon in the 3DS days, then dropped him, and is now back to maining him, hee hee~) once told me that Falcon "plays himself". I think we both agree he was being a bit tough on the poor guy back then, but he's definitely a character that's very easy to pick up and play, thanks to the nature of his fast and flashy fighting style. He's a real newbie-killer, that one.

Then again I play Ganondorf in PM, but I've been told I have an "entertaining" Ganon, so hey...~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But no Link in Brawl had the chance to spam arrows or boomerang because they'd be gimped offstage like 15 seconds into the match. Especially when facing :falco:.

Friend of mine (who mained Falcon in the 3DS days, then dropped him, and is now back to maining him, hee hee~) once told me that Falcon "plays himself". I think we both agree he was being a bit tough on the poor guy back then, but he's definitely a character that's very easy to pick up and play, thanks to the nature of his fast and flashy fighting style. He's a real newbie-killer, that one.

Then again I play Ganondorf in PM, but I've been told I have an "entertaining" Ganon, so hey...~
We seriously gotta play PM sometime. Did you get wi-fi set up on it?

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210

I have a bit of an unpopular opinion on my own main/favorite smash character, I know. It's just the way I've seen people do tier lists and they describe mid tier as "needing a secondary" and if you ask me, he NEEDS a secondary. All of his positives are VERY good, but all of his negatives are VERY bad.

D

Deleted member

True, whenever Link got out camped in Brawl it was basically...
Must've been a hard time to be a Zelda fan during Brawl. :link2:, :zelda: and :ganondorf: were all bottom tier characters. :sheik: was heavily nerfed from Melee (but still pretty good, those who say she's bad have never played a good Brawl Sheik) .

...Meanwhile, :toonlink: was high tier. That lucky kid.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have a bit of an unpopular opinion on my own main/favorite smash character, I know. It's just the way I've seen people do tier lists and they describe mid tier as "needing a secondary" and if you ask me, he NEEDS a secondary. All of his positives are VERY good, but all of his negatives are VERY bad.
Well there's a bit more to mid-tier than just that. It takes into account consistency of use, representation, results and fundamentals too, plus it's definitely more important to win higher-tier matchups than it is to win lower-tier ones. Falcon has some good high and top-tier matchups and he still manages to body most of the lower-tiers, so while he's at a pretty severe disadvantage in some cases, the rest of his character makes up for it.

It's like saying Greninja's mid-tier: his Sheik matchup is very difficult, but otherwise he's a great character, so he's a solid high-tier. Sometimes you just need to swap out, and that's okay!

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Must've been a hard time to be a Zelda fan during Brawl. :link2:, :zelda: and :ganondorf: were all bottom tier characters. :sheik: was heavily nerfed from Melee (but still pretty good, those who say she's bad have never played a good Brawl Sheik) .

...Meanwhile, :toonlink: was high tier. That lucky kid.
Yeah, those were some dark times lol. Yeah :toonlink:being the highest out of all the Zelda characters is why the Link boards has had a long hatred for him haha.

However, despite :link2:being garbage tier I did manage to place well in tourneys and I won a small one at game stop a long time ago.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, those were some dark times lol. Yeah :toonlink:being the highest out of all the Zelda characters is why the Link boards has had a long hatred for him haha.

However, despite :link2:being garbage tier I did manage to place well in tourneys and I won a small one at game stop a long time ago.
I remember there being a tournament on Brawl's release day at my local GameStop in the mall, it was pretty awesome. I didn't stick around, I just came to get my copy since I had preordered it.

There was also one that same year at the Orlando Science Center, the winner was a :gw:.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Y'know, come to think of it, it's funny that every main I've had in Smash up until now has been an okay character.

:falcon64: - High-tier

:drmario: - High-tier

:4rob: - Mid-tier

:ganondorf: - Technically mid-tier, but everybody in PM is high-tier by any other game's standards, so he's still good

:4pit: - High-tier

:4palutena: - Low-tier

...Dang it, Palutena!

D

Deleted member

Y'know, come to think of it, it's funny that every main I've had in Smash up until now has been an okay character.

:falcon64: - High-tier

:drmario: - High-tier

:4rob: - Mid-tier

:ganondorf: - Technically mid-tier, but everybody in PM is high-tier by any other game's standards, so he's still good

:4pit: - High-tier

:4palutena: - Low-tier

...Dang it, Palutena!
A'ight, let's do my characters.

:kirby64: - Top tier.

:icsmelee: - High tier.

:dedede: - High tier.

:ness2: - Mid-high tier, I suppose?

:4wario: - High tier.

:4dedede: - ...Bottom tier.

Dededangnabbit!

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
Well there's a bit more to mid-tier than just that. It takes into account consistency of use, representation, results and fundamentals too, plus it's definitely more important to win higher-tier matchups than it is to win lower-tier ones. Falcon has some good high and top-tier matchups and he still manages to body most of the lower-tiers, so while he's at a pretty severe disadvantage in some cases, the rest of his character makes up for it.

It's like saying Greninja's mid-tier: his Sheik matchup is very difficult, but otherwise he's a great character, so he's a solid high-tier. Sometimes you just need to swap out, and that's okay!
You've got a good point, I didn't think about it that way when I thought that. I just took in mind the secondary part. Thank you!

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Alright, here we go! Mains!!!1

:luigi64: - Worst in the game (lul nobody's actually bad in 64)
:drmario: - Mid-high personally (high tier by technicality I guess)
:luigi2: - Bottom tier (LOL)
:mario2:(PM) - Top tier god in 3.02, Top/high tier going forward
:4drmario: - Low tier (on the verge of mid IMO, could be better/worse dunno)
:4ryu: - Pretty much confirmed god.

The more modern it gets, the better my choices look!

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
And he has kick-*** boss music!

Every time I hear "Gangplank Galleon" and "Crocodile Cacophony" - ooh, chills~

I'm going to be honest here, I think you're asking for the moon.

On the one hand, you say you want a character that's going to change the way we play Smash. That's fine and dandy, it really is, and I respect your desire for something more distinctive than what we currently have, but I think you need to remember one very important thing:

Smash is designed to be a game that anybody can play. Sakurai has said many, many times that that's the founding principle of Smash: it's a game that's easy for people of every skill level to pick up and play, because it's fundamental mechanics remain consistent between characters. You have characters with different playstyles, characters that require more technical knowledge to be adept with, even characters that have their own unique inputs that defy the conventions of Smash's mechanics - yet these characters can still be played with the same intuitive fundamentals as everybody else. A character that totally rejects that in favour of something different may sound great and exciting in theory, but I'd wager it'd be more of a convoluted mess than it'd be worth. The fact that you consider some of the ideas absurd or far-fetched is proof of that: do you really want a character that's designed to be one giant gimmick, rather than a character everybody can play and have fun with? I don't think it's unfair to say the novelty would wear off very quickly.

On the other hand, you seem to be admitting that the kind of character you desire is neither realistic nor, honestly, very desirable. You said you think the moveset concepts I came up with would be "OP" - and guess what? They would be. Very much so. Because if you're trying to go out of your way to design a character that's totally unlike the rest of the roster, who does their own thing that nobody else does, you're not going to have a very fun or well-balanced character. You're going to have a big gimmick of a character that defies convention for the sake of defying convention and breaks the game just because they can. That doesn't sound fun or interesting, that just sounds controversial for its own sake.

It's not realistic to expect something outside what we currently have, because - to be honest - there's only so much you can do in a game of Smash's nature. We have over 50 characters in the roster, and most of the newcomers we have in this game play nothing like each-other. Eventually we're going to reach originality critical mass, where we only consider characters so interesting and diverse that they fundamentally oppose everything Smash stands for, characters that can't even exist in Smash because they're physically impossible to implement whilst maintaining a good and healthy sense of balance.

And yes, he is a boring choice because people expect him. Because people have been "expecting" him for over a decade now, and this is probably the first time in the history of Smash that he's had a good chance of making it in. If he's a boring choice, it's because people went out of their way to demand him so much that it seems absurd to think of him not making it in. By that same token, Sonic and Mega Man were boring choices, Mewtwo was a boring choice, even Meta Knight was a boring choice. There's being creative and unexpected, and there's just denying fan's wishes to be "fun" and "exciting". I don't think that's a good idea, either from a creative perspective or, considering people have to pay for this extra content, a business perspective.

If people expect him this much, then he has every right to get in. Then maybe we can make way for the unexpected choices that people have no distinct emotional investment in or need to be convinced to pay their cash for.
These are all compelling arguments.

I suppose my lack of willingness to be super hyped over characters like K. Rool comes down to this: the roster is becoming overstuffed. There's so many unique characters that it's becoming difficult to come up with anything original. There are very few characters I want in Sm4sh at the moment, and it's not limited to characters I like. The reason Magolor is the only character I'm going all out on is because he's the only character I think fits the aforementioned requirements for me, and even then, just barely. To be honest, I'm not super adamant about having any new characters in Sm4sh at all. Don't mistake me, I'll be hyped if and when K. Rool is announced, and not just because I'll be happy for the many people who voted for him, but also because, like I said, I really like K. Rool.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems you took that statement about K. Rool being boring a little too personally. Regardless of whether or not that's true, I'd like to clarify something. When I say things like "it seems to me" or "in my opinion" that means it's strictly in my own way of viewing things. Of course everyone will be excited when K. Rool is announced, including me. Like you said, people have wanted him for years. But the characters I find most thrilling to see in Smash are the unexpected ones. K. Rool is expected; a little too expected in my opinion. That, combined with the fact that he doesn't seem like a super unique character to me (note the "to me" portion) makes it feel like he'd be a boring choice.

I suppose it would be good to see him finally in the game. I do love him, DKC, and all the things he represents, but that's about all the hype I can gain from him. I apologize if this upsets you or anyone else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I ended up dropping my practice with Mega Man and Greninja and started trying out Luigi and Rosalina. Don't hate me internet but these two are FUN. The highest tier character I main is Falcon (which at best is top of mid tier imo) so it's weird using top tier characters. JV3-ing my friends and some randoms on FG with those two makes me feel like a god Good person
On that note though, anyone want to do 3DS matches? I need more victim- people to practice Rosa and Luigi on [:
I'd also like to get Marth and Falcon practice too

I plan to hit the lab with Cloud the minute he drops, if he's not a main, he's def going to be a secondary. So i got ya
Will the labbing take place on 3DS?

I don't mind either way I'm just curious since you don't have a Wii U yet correct?

And I totally wasn't tempted to raise extra money on my end so I could gift you the money to buy one, definitely not at all.

-----

Also Realest Possible Talk:

Mastering the input timing to do perfect Forward Throw Bombslides vs. Up Throw Bombslides at will is hard AF.

Also I haven't accomplished anything today, I have been loitering on Smashboards since my last class ended at 4.

Welp.

D

Deleted member

Luigi wasn't bottom tier tho. He was low tier... not much of a difference but it's something.

I felt like it was the game rather than the character holding himself back when it came to Brawl Luigi. He had an amazing nair that came out fast and killed reliably, and overall had great normals, smashes and aerials (dat back air son), and Cyclone gains much more recovery distance than it does in 4. Only major things that were bad about him were his slippery physics, all hits of dash attack not connecting and being prone to chaingrabs. I also thought Brawl Mario was also pretty good, it's just that absolutely nobody played him.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
These are all compelling arguments.

I suppose my lack of willingness to be super hyped over characters like K. Rool comes down to this: the roster is becoming overstuffed. There's so many unique characters that it's becoming difficult to come up with anything original. There are very few characters I want in Sm4sh at the moment, and it's not limited to characters I like. The reason Magolor is the only character I'm going all out on is because he's the only character I think fits the aforementioned requirements for me, and even then, just barely. To be honest, I'm not super adamant about having any new characters in Sm4sh at all. Don't mistake me, I'll be hyped if and when K. Rool is announced, and not just because I'll be happy for the many people who voted for him, but also because, like I said, I really like K. Rool.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems you took that statement about K. Rool being boring a little too personally. Regardless of whether or not that's true, I'd like to clarify something. When I say things like "it seems to me" or "in my opinion" that means it's strictly in my own way of viewing things. Of course everyone will be excited when K. Rool is announced, including me. Like you said, people have wanted him for years. But the characters I find most thrilling to see in Smash are the unexpected ones. K. Rool is expected; a little too expected in my opinion. That, combined with the fact that he doesn't seem like a super unique character to me (note the "to me" portion) makes it feel like he'd be a boring choice.

I suppose it would be good to see him finally in the game. I do love him, DKC, and all the things he represents, but that's about all the hype I can gain from him. I apologize if this upsets you or anyone else.
Oh no, it's fine, I'm not upset that it's your opinion. I just get my hackles raised when I disagree with the logic of something, heheh~

I don't think anything is or should be expected. I still have deep, abiding reservations about K. Rool's chances.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon.

:link64:- Low Tier
:linkmelee:- Middle Tier
:link2:- Garbage Low Tier
:4link:- Middle tier.

My Smash career is basically the one kid who wants to go to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory one day.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Ryu being god tier is reasonable.

D

Deleted member

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon.

:link64:- Low Tier
:linkmelee:- Middle Tier
:link2:- Garbage Low Tier
:4link:- Middle tier.

My Smash career is basically the one kid who wants to go to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory one day.
'Ey, how come you forgot to fight for your friends? :4myfriends:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Tmw your best character is scary good despite being rock bottom tier. :4miisword:

Top Bottom