• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I hope you're joking... You're not one of those Zelda fans that has only played like Skyward Sword or something are you? You've got all these Legend of Zelda references in your sig and Avatar and don't know what a Like Like is? :p (Granted, its only Skyward Sword and Wii U.)
To be fair,I have only played SS and TP.

*looks pic up on google*

Oh...Well this embarrassing, I thought it was something else. I misinterpreted your post as saying I ***t Robin.

.....Yeah. I don't know anymore. :facepalm:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Warning Received

*looks pic up on google*

Oh...Well this embarrassing, I thought it was something else. I misinterpreted your post as saying I ***t Robin.

You need to play more zelda.

I'd suggest
A link to the past
Ocarina of time
Majora's mask
Wind waker

And then the rest of them in any order you so choose.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Warning Received

*looks pic up on google*

To be fair, Like Like's are pieces of ****. They "like like" to eat you, then they spit you out after having ate your shield and/or tunic. If not that, then something else. Like Like's have been in numerous games, although I think the only 3D games they are in are OOT and MM.

Anyway, still excited for Robin.

Luigi160

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
You need to play more zelda.

I'd suggest
A link to the past
Ocarina of time
Majora's mask
Wind waker

And then the rest of them in any order you so choose.
No Link's Awakening... :(

Oh, uh... Robin's cool I guess.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Apparently posts can count as on-topic if they talk about something random for the majority of the post and then add on "I like Robin" at the end.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
No Link's Awakening... :(

Oh, uh... Robin's cool I guess.
Link's Awakening...Fire Emblem Awakening...OH MY GOD ROBIN CONFIRMED.

Seriously then, let's try push back the topic. Do we all discarded a summon like movepool for Robin, where he/she attacks summoning many of the Sheperds as well? Saw this kind of idea in the Paper Mario thread with the companions.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's apart of the "the rest of them in any order you choose"

Question about robin.

What if they put robin in, but only gave us male face 3 robin?

Disappointment or no?
If we don't get the female, I'll be minorly disappointed. But he's still a magic user, so...wouldn't be that upset.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Seriously then, let's try push back the topic. Do we all discarded a summon like movepool for Robin, where he/she attacks summoning many of the Sheperds as well? Saw this kind of idea in the Paper Mario thread with the companions.
I didn't even think of a movepool like that.

Not very fond of the idea though.

Not gonna lie, my original thoughts was for Robin to be the custom character instead of Mii's...

Could of had the sword fighter be just like the mii brawler, the axe/lance being the replacement for the sword fighter and the magic being the replacement for the gunner.

IT WOULD OF BEEN PERFECT.

This is the only reason im actually salty about mii's ;_;

D

Deleted member

Question about robin.

Disappointment or no?
I would actually be mad.

Build 2 Female Robin is just too adorable to pass up.

That ^ at least needs to happen and of course I'd like to see (and would moreso expect) to see Build 1 female Robin as an option. I'm fairly indifferent about seeing build 3 body-wise (we have enough sexualized females imo) but I'd like to see Build 3 Female Hairstyles if Build 3 body for whatever reason isn't an option

Hokori

Great King of Evil

Question about robin.

Disappointment or no?
I actually forgot all about this Robin, holy ****

But yeah, I'd be very disappointed. I'll be playing as Robin (F) the whole time, can't disappoint me with her.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
...and of course I'd like to see (and would moreso expect) to see Build 1 female Robin as an option. I'm fairly indifferent about seeing build 3 body-wise (we have enough sexualized females imo) but I'd like to see Build 3 Female Hairstyles if Build 3 body for whatever reason isn't an option
It's more likely we'd only get Build 1 for both, probably. Other builds would change the size of Robin's hurtbox, something they've specifically avoided for alternate appearances for every character other than the intentionally super-customized Mii Fighters.

Hopefully that fact wasn't a turn off for the developers...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As a reminder, posts in threads that have nothing to do with the subject at hand or just add "I like [character]" at the end are considered spam. If you see any more posts like this, feel free to report them.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Something that just came to me...may have already been discussed before though.

Aside from playing Vs. Matches __ times, what do you think Robin's unlock method would be? Rather, what would you prefer it to be?

-Event Match?
-Adventure Mode?

Providing a setting (i.e. what's the nature of the event match?), required character to use (do you have to use a Fire Emblem character in some fashion to trigger Robin's appearance?), etc would nice as well.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Something that just came to me...may have already been discussed before though.

Aside from playing Vs. Matches __ times, what do you think Robin's unlock method would be? Rather, what would you prefer it to be?

-Event Match?
-Adventure Mode?

Providing a setting (i.e. what's the nature of the event match?), required character to use (do you have to use a Fire Emblem character in some fashion to trigger Robin's appearance?), etc would nice as well.
Unlock all custom moves for Marth and Ike. "Now that's strategy!"

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
I once saw a thread with the idea of pairing up robin and chrom, but that seams like a dream at this point...

it seams today that its all a vs. match between robin and chrom. only one had to make it in. Only one can be the rep. why can't it be like the game was. life was much simpler in the game (relatively)...

Anyway, always imagined that Robin's moveset would rely almost purely on his sword for A (standard) moves and magic for all but his up B (special). Stand B would be fire, side B would be lightning, down B would be wind. his up B would be his jump attack but with a little more flare. Also one of his taunts would certainly be his "just killed this guy" sword swing.

That's all I have, feel free to amend it or add on to it if you want.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unlock all custom moves for Marth and Ike. "Now that's strategy!"
Actually... this would be quite cool and a unique way to handle unlockables. I like this idea.

I once saw a thread with the idea of pairing up robin and chrom, but that seams like a dream at this point...

it seams today that its all a vs. match between robin and chrom. only one had to make it in. Only one can be the rep. why can't it be like the game was. life was much simpler in the game (relatively)...

Anyway, always imagined that Robin's moveset would rely almost purely on his sword for A (standard) moves and magic for all but his up B (special). Stand B would be fire, side B would be lightning, down B would be wind. his up B would be his jump attack but with a little more flare. Also one of his taunts would certainly be his "just killed this guy" sword swing.

That's all I have, feel free to amend it or add on to it if you want.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't see the point in doing the team up mechanic. The entire idea behind it is just so that two Awakening reps can get in instead of one. It has no importance to Fire Emblem as a whole (maybe it'll appear later, I have no idea), its difficult enough doing Ice Climbers, so "Pair Up" would be even more difficult, and its a wasted potential because we could get a far more unique Robin instead of pairing up Robin and Chrom and them being exactly the same as one another (its impossible for the Pair Up to work and have them with different movesets).

Giving Pair Up to any other characters isn't any better. It only works for characters that are designed to work like a team; Ice Climbers. Luma and Pikmin are just aids to help the moveset, not actual separate characters.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Wii Fit Trainers.
Which have the same height and same general build. They even pointed out how they shrunk the male WFT just a little to make him exactly as tall as the female one.

The alternate Robin builds have different sizes. Although I guess they could just adjust them to be the same general size as the default build, or just but faces from other builds on the default build, but would that be too much work when other characters have one alternate model at most?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Which have the same height and same general build. They even pointed out how they shrunk the male WFT just a little to make him exactly as tall as the female one.
My point is that if they were willing to alter the proportions of both genders to make sure they were identical, then I don't think the differences in gender (or builds, if they want to include those) would turn developers away from making Robin a playable character.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
My point is that if they were willing to alter the proportions of both genders to make sure they were identical, then I don't think the differences in gender (or builds, if they want to include those) would turn developers away from making Robin a playable character.
Definitely this^

Since they've already made Mii's change in speed and power depending on their height, that could've been done with all 3 builds of Robin since each one has a different height.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Definitely this^

Since they've already made Mii's change in speed and power depending on their height, that could've been done with all 3 builds of Robin since each one has a different height.
The likelihood is that Mii's are the exception because Mii's are entirely completely 100% customizable characters. I doubt they'd do the same for Robin. If anything we'd get the base build with base hairstyle, class, and everything.

Hong

The Strongest
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't see the point in doing the team up mechanic. The entire idea behind it is just so that two Awakening reps can get in instead of one. It has no importance to Fire Emblem as a whole (maybe it'll appear later, I have no idea), its difficult enough doing Ice Climbers, so "Pair Up" would be even more difficult, and its a wasted potential because we could get a far more unique Robin instead of pairing up Robin and Chrom and them being exactly the same as one another (its impossible for the Pair Up to work and have them with different movesets).

Giving Pair Up to any other characters isn't any better. It only works for characters that are designed to work like a team; Ice Climbers. Luma and Pikmin are just aids to help the moveset, not actual separate characters.
I think you are looking at the idea on the wrong end.

First off, it's not so that we can have two Awakening reps instead of one. I genuinely think it offers a more engaging gameplay prospect than both Chrom or Robin. Secondly, I would say it does represent something important in Fire Emblem. Unity, comradery, and most importantly Support. Yes, there are technical difficulties, but now that I have assessed what Mr. Sakurai was having a problem with, I can still say it's doable.

The reason why I support Chrobin is because it's an opportunity to pull out a combat system commonplace in many of the popular fighters these days: assists. The benefit of an assist system is of course the fact you can call in an assist while you are otherwise occupied. It's a combo system, through and through, and I would LOVE to see it in Smash Bros.

It would be handled in a simple fashion:
  • The supporting character stands ever so slightly in the background, and cannot be attacked while not in use
  • The supporting character is "blackened" out while they follow the active character, and they run at 30 FPS on the 3DS
  • Neutral, side, and down specials cause the supporting character to emerge from their blackened state to attack
  • Supporting character only has to check for collision with the ground beneath their feet to reduce CPU load
  • Supporting character cannot leave the stage, and only work while the active fighter is on/over the stage
  • As long as you are not in hit-stun, you can call on the supporting character, and can work even while you are attacking/grabbing
  • If a supporting character is attacked while they are being called in, it's simply cancelled and you incur a delay before they can be used

Question about robin.

Disappointment or no?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

First off, it's not so that we can have two Awakening reps instead of one. I genuinely think it offers a more engaging gameplay prospect than both Chrom or Robin. Secondly, I would say it does represent something important in Fire Emblem. Unity, comradery, and most importantly Support. Yes, there are technical difficulties, but now that I have assessed what Mr. Sakurai was having a problem with, I can still say it's doable.

The reason why I support Chrobin is because it's an opportunity to pull out a combat system commonplace in many of the popular fighters these days: assists. The benefit of an assist system is of course the fact you can call in an assist while you are otherwise occupied. It's a combo system, through and through, and I would LOVE to see it in Smash Bros.

• The supporting character stands ever so slightly in the background, and cannot be attacked while not in use
  • The supporting character is "blackened" out while they follow the active character, and they run at 30 FPS on the 3DS
  • Neutral, side, and down specials cause the supporting character to emerge from their blackened state to attack
  • Supporting character only has to check for collision with the ground beneath their feet to reduce CPU load
  • Supporting character cannot leave the stage, and only work while the active fighter is on/over the stage
  • As long as you are not in hit-stun, you can call on the supporting character, and can work even while you are attacking/grabbing
  • If a supporting character is attacked while they are being called in, it's simply cancelled and you incur a delay before they can be used
It doesn't sound simple at all. It sounds incredibly complicated. Still, this idea is better than what other people have suggested. But I'd rather have Robin just use a variety of magic and weapons instead of summoning Chrom to fight for her, personally. :p

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Couldn't Robin technically pull off that kind of "assist" combat system better than Chrom could? I mean, Robin is the one who can actually support with every character in the game.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hey guys, I was thinking....what if it's not Robin that becomes playable, but Grima? I mean, that would give us a Fire Emblem Rep that's a villain, but still deliver on the whole MU feeling. I mean, she/he would still look the same. Not to mention the Final Smash could be the Dragon-Breath attack.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
It doesn't sound simple at all. It sounds incredibly complicated. Still, this idea is better than what other people have suggested. But I'd rather have Robin just use a variety of magic and weapons instead of summoning Chrom to fight for her, personally. :p
Well, it only doesn't sound simple because I included technical information!

For the average user, it's just "this character calls in someone else to do their specials". :)
Couldn't Robin technically pull off that kind of "assist" combat system better than Chrom could? I mean, Robin is the one who can actually support with every character in the game.
Because you can play as both characters and switch between the two. Any more than two is a bit much.
Hey guys, I was thinking....what if it's not Robin that becomes playable, but Grima? I mean, that would give us a Fire Emblem Rep that's a villain, but still deliver on the whole MU feeling. I mean, she/he would still look the same.
I wouldn't mind one bit.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I was thinking....what if it's not Robin that becomes playable, but Grima? I mean, that would give us a Fire Emblem Rep that's a villain, but still deliver on the whole MU feeling. I mean, she/he would still look the same. Not to mention the Final Smash could be the Dragon-Breath attack.
Maybe as an alternate hooded variant (with or without red eyes) of Robin. Though despite being the same person Robin fights way more energetically than Grima!Robin so it would look weird.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
From myself, two pages ago:
It'd just bug me if the playstyle also was based around possessed Robin. That's not the Robin I like so much.

Of course, I have nothing against a taunt and/or victory screen showing evil Robin, it IS part of the character, after all.

Disappointment or no?
I could deal with it. I would be dissapointed and wonder why they didn't do what they did with WFT and Villager but I don't think male type 3 is THAT bad.

Hong

The Strongest
Robin♀ and Lucina's supports when Robin is not her mother are kind of creepy.

Robin already has someone stalking her shadow, I'm afraid.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Oh wow. Just read up on it. It really is kinda strange. Well, less so if you think about what Lucina had to go through, but I wonder why she is far more linient with male Robin.

Chrom's nice, I suppose, but I've never thought of him as gallant. ...Or wonderful.
This is my new go-to response as to why Chrom is low of my FE:A newcomers want list :D

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, Monday will have a new character reveal, it seems. This could possibly be the end of the Fire Emblem newcomer debate.

Any thoughts before the big day?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, Monday will have a new character reveal, it seems. This could possibly be the end of the Fire Emblem newcomer debate.

Any thoughts before the big day?
I doubt it. I doubt we'll get an FE character announcement. We just got Ike announced right before E3.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I feel like there's a good chance whoever the FE newcomer is will be secret, considering that the series always has at least one hidden character.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Yeah, I kinda doubt it'll be a FE newcomer, since I figure the last one (or two) might be secret, but we won't know until monday.
From those characters that I expect to show up in the game I don't think any would warrant a single reveal video. So it might be a big surprise character like Snake in Brawl. But then again, it might be as Sakurai said - they are nearing the end of the newcomer videos and want to throw the fans a bone since the next big event is still a bit off (at least IIRC).

And I find the wording interesting again: He specificly said "newcomer videos we've made" not "newcomers", so I'm fairly certain now that there will be a few without a prerendered sequence to go with, and those will probably be secret characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom