• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
The two genders of Villager have their own voice actors, as well.

In any event, they had roughly 30 voice actors for Awakening (many among the best in the business), for a game they had very low expectations of. Smash Wii U without a doubt will ship more copies than Awakening, which is hilarious when you think about with the Wii U's install-base. As for the model, I don't see any complications. They'll probably just go with the default look per gender, and if we are lucky we'll get different hair styles for each colour. It's not like graphical work is ever an issue. This is Namco Bandai developing the game. They have shipped products with a smaller budget and development time with more variable appearances for characters than Smash.

If we get hooded Robin, it will be a pseudo palette more than an alt, so one palette for each gender will be just like the default but with the hood up. I'll be more surprised if we see that than if we don't.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Voice shouldn't be too much of a problem. Wii Fit Trainer has a female and a male voice, I'm sure they just pick one male and one female and run with that.
I specificly was talking in the context of expecting there to be an ambigous hooded Robin. The voice itself for the unhooded skins really shouldn't be a problem, I agree.

Also, I'd have a problem with the idea of Robin being too much of a waste of resources when they've clearly gone the extra mile on the three miis having sizes and costumes.
Oh I agree with you there, but it's still something one should concider in this specific situation. When faced with the question "Do we use male or female Robin the default one" I doubt their answer would be "We'll make an ambigous third one with the hood up and it's own soundset." Otherwise I do fully expect production values out the vazoo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The two genders of Villager have their own voice actors, as well.

In any event, they had roughly 30 voice actors for Awakening (many among the best in the business), for a game they had very low expectations of. Smash Wii U without a doubt will ship more copies than Awakening, which is hilarious when you think about with the Wii U's install-base. As for the model, I don't see any complications. They'll probably just go with the default look per gender, and if we are lucky we'll get different hair styles for each colour. It's not like graphical work is ever an issue. This is Namco Bandai developing the game. They have shipped products with a smaller budget and development time with more variable appearances for characters than Smash.

If we get hooded Robin, it will be a pseudo palette more than an alt, so one palette for each gender will be just like the default but with the hood up. I'll be more surprised if we see that than if we don't.
Don't forget, too, though, that Smash has both 3DS and Wii U versions, and both are likely to sell very well.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh I agree with you there, but it's still something one should concider in this specific situation. When faced with the question "Do we use male or female Robin the default one" I doubt their answer would be "We'll make an ambigous third one with the hood up and it's own soundset." Otherwise I do fully expect production values out the vazoo.
Since this is Bandai Namco we are talking about, I wouldn't mind if they made a Leo out of Morgan and gave us her instead. Morgan is inherently a more androgynous character, and I think it would be another thing that makes her unique. They could just give us one gender of Morgan, but give her alternative hair styles that are based on both female and male characters. For added effect, bring in Lucina's voice actress and have her take the job, since she can do a good ambiguous voice.

Granted, I suppose a lot of westerners think Marth is androgynous, though I think he is far from it.

D

Deleted member

Ha, I'd love it if we got a PotD featuring a hooded Kirby, but Sakurai opts to not confirm Robin alongside with it...wonder what his message for the PotD would be.

SS-Tier Trolling.
Well, what if when Kirby inhales Pink Hoody Little Mac he gets a Pink Hoody hat instead of LM's hair?

I know it's incredibly unlikely that they'd make separate Kirby hats for different character costumes, but it is a possibility, however improbable (VERY) it sounds.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, what if when Kirby inhales Pink Hoody Little Mac he gets a Pink Hoody hat instead of LM's hair?

I know it's incredibly unlikely that they'd make separate Kirby hats for different character costumes, but it is a possibility, however improbable (VERY) it sounds.
You know what? With all the little details they're putting into this game, it may not be as improbable as you think.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, if they revealed a Kirby wearing a dark hood with purple stripes, I think we would know exactly who that came from.

Hong

The Strongest

As it is, all Villagers, as well as both Wii Fit Trainers IIRC, produce the same hat.

D

Deleted member

As it is, all Villagers, as well as both Wii Fit Trainers IIRC, produce the same hat.
Yeah I figured as much, that's why I said it was incredibly unlikely that such a thing would occur.

In fact I specifically remember from some E3 footage that Kirby swallowed the Male WFT and came out with a ponytail.

BUT, Sakurai and his team are doing things a bit differently this time, specifically adding a lot more with regards to minor details details to the game, so we'll just have to wait and see (after all, there is stuff in the final build that wasn't present in the footage we have seen) but again, such an idea of Kirby having different hats for different character costumes is near impossible at this point.

So as @ Hokori Hokori said, a PotD with a hooded kirby would need some serious explaining.

EDIT: Hey it looks like we came

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
Gosh, every character thread thinks August is the one chance to see their character.

Guess we are getting 30 newcomers revealed in August. Sakurai is going to go full Oprah on us.:troll:

D

Deleted member

Gosh, every character thread thinks August is the one chance to see their character.

Guess we are getting 30 newcomers revealed in August. Sakurai is going to go full Oprah on us.:troll:
As much as I hate to say it, you might as well count Ridley out of that, I fully believe Sakurai intends to drag the Ridley trolling and teasing out as long as he possibly can. :glare:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Not for me. My top pick is and always has been King K. Rool, but I fully expect K. Rool to be unlockable if he's playable. I think if we've got Robin, she'll be unlockable as well (Chrom is more iffy, he doesn't seem like unlockable material to me). I think in August we'll see either Shulk or Ridley, my bets on the latter rather than the former, with Shulk likely coming during a "release trailer" or simply unlockable.

I personally think that if we get no FE newcomer announcements post-release, our FE pick definitely is not Chrom. Robin I still think is the mostlikely second pick and even then is the best pick.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Why? If there was 5 announced in April, why not four but two newcomer vaguely related? Like, Robin and Isaac or something like that? I would put money down we'll se more then one.

Oh, also i've bean stalking this thread for a while now, so hi. I support robin!
Ah, don't take that pic response seriously, friend. But regardless, I'm not expecting many more newcomers before release.

Welcome to our awesome support group though :)

D

Deleted member

Why? If there was 5 announced in April, why not four but two newcomer vaguely related? Like, Robin and Isaac or something like that? I would put money down we'll se more then one.

Oh, also i've bean stalking this thread for a while now, so hi. I support robin!
There were 5 characters announced in April, yes, but only one of those, Greninja, was a newcomer, everyone else announced was a veteran.

It would be quite uncharacteristic of Sakurai to let a Trailer go through that reveals 2 or more newcomers that isn't a Trailer that debuts at E3 or an event of similar scale.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
There were 5 characters announced in April, yes, but only one of those, Greninja, was a newcomer, everyone else announced was a veteran.

We could get a shower of veterans again and one newcomer, like in April direct. But I think it's unlikely, unless it's a Smash Direct. But it will probably be a normal Nintendo Direct, with the "please take a look" reveal trailers.

Doesn't matter though, they only need to give us our Robin.
Or Waddle doo....snake please....?

Hokori

Great King of Evil

It would be quite uncharacteristic of Sakurai to let a Trailer go through that reveals 2 or more newcomers that isn't a Trailer that debuts at E3 or an event of similar scale.
Yeah, and the odds don't support another Smash Direct. There will probably be a brief segment for Smash in the August Direct, and that may have one newcomer at best. That'll probably be the last newcomer before release anyway, I think 10 revealed newcomers is plenty. Other than that, probably a few more veteran reveals and then the Gods will let there be Smash.

Hong

The Strongest
Robin should get a Lord/Great Lord outfit to appease the blue-haired swordsman demography. :4marth::4myfriends:

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Robin should get a Lord/Great Lord outfit to appease the blue-haired swordsman demography. :4marth::4myfriends:
That would be cool, but unsuited since Robin could never become a lord. Isn't that like...the only class she/he could never become? (Besides the "creature" classes of course.)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
That would be cool, but unsuited since Robin could never become a lord. Isn't that like...the only class she/he could never become? (Besides the "creature" classes of course.)
Pretty much. But Robin is like a Lord at heart/Pseudo-Lord. So, y'know...Blue-hair pl0x.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
It would be almost as ill-suited as a character using specials or tools that don't belong to them.

:lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas::lucas:

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Kris costume confirmed?
Confirmed indeed my friend, confirmed indeed. Then for the final event match, Kris (event match appearance only) will be absorbed by Robin (somehow) to make Robin the ultimate, broken beyond belief spellsword fighter in Smash's history. If you manage to win, you unlock Robin and you receive an Amiibo in the mail within the next 2-3 business days for your hard work and success.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
All jokes aside, I don't think we'll get alternate costumes for characters who will have an alternate gender.

If somehow we do, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

If we have a Smash Bros. Direct, we MIGHT get two newcomers in the Direct, but otherwise here's what I'd think: One newcomer at the direct (Ridley), one in the launch trailer (Shulk). That's my bet.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not for me. My top pick is and always has been King K. Rool, but I fully expect K. Rool to be unlockable if he's playable. I think if we've got Robin, she'll be unlockable as well (Chrom is more iffy, he doesn't seem like unlockable material to me). I think in August we'll see either Shulk or Ridley, my bets on the latter rather than the former, with Shulk likely coming during a "release trailer" or simply unlockable.

I personally think that if we get no FE newcomer announcements post-release, our FE pick definitely is not Chrom. Robin I still think is the mostlikely second pick and even then is the best pick.
Well, while I agree that Chrom would be much more suited for being revealed before release, there is the possibility of him being a secret character if he's a semi-clone. And honestly, I think that's a very real possibility.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, while I agree that Chrom would be much more suited for being revealed before release, there is the possibility of him being a secret character if he's a semi-clone. And honestly, I think that's a very real possibility.
Pretty much. Sad to say, but our views on Chrom being worthy as a secret character =/ theirs.

Hong

The Strongest
Chrom will likely be Smash 4's Wolf, both in originality and how he is handled.

Don't get me wrong, Wolf has entirely unique normals as a fighter, but on a functional level he had little definition as a fighter regardless. Chrom will be likely be worse, since Wolf at least looked unique.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom will likely be Smash 4's Wolf, both in originality and how he is handled.

Don't get me wrong, Wolf has entirely unique normals as a fighter, but on a functional level he had little definition as a fighter regardless. Chrom will be likely be worse, since Wolf at least looked unique.
It's funny because Wolf was supposedly planned for Melee, but they put Falco in because Wolf looked too similar to Fox.

Chrom's got it worse.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's funny because Wolf was supposedly planned for Melee, but they put Falco in because Wolf looked too similar to Fox.

Chrom's got it worse.
The difference is at the time of Melee, they could only fit direct clones. So Wolf looked like a LITERAL Fox recolor. At least by Brawl, they had enough time to make Wolf a lot more unique.

Top Bottom