• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
So now that I'm no longer buried under a salt mine in terms of Ryu's existence (salty, sure, but not as much), I think another reason I'm upset at his inclusion (aside from the fact that I think that Smash should be more or less Nintendo exclusive), is that he's getting in so early. He's getting in before so many other Nintendo characters: Isaac, Wolf, Shantae, Inkling, Midna, Waluigi I could go on... Why is this character with so little relation to Nintendo beating out all of these other characters who are much bigger in the Happy Go Lucky World of Nintendo? How is he able to beat all of these people out?

I can't fathom a reason other than Capcom is giving Sakurai some serious blow jobs. I suppose reasoning will come out at E3 in the coming days, but still. Why Nintendo? Why? Why is this character getting a cut in front of so many of your own?

So yeah. Still swimming in salt over this punk's inclusion, but whatever. I'll get over it.

Hell, I got over Mass Effect 3's ending. If I can get over that, I can get over some random fighter getting in Smash.

In other news...
Actually, there isn't much... I haven't been able to play all that much Bravely Default. And next week I'm going to dedicate every minute I can do downing Turn 13 in FFXIV before early access for Heavensward starts on the 19th.

Then I won't be around much, I'm afraid. At least not until things have settled down a bit in Heavensward.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
So now that I'm no longer buried under a salt mine in terms of Ryu's existence (salty, sure, but not as much), I think another reason I'm upset at his inclusion (aside from the fact that I think that Smash should be more or less Nintendo exclusive), is that he's getting in so early. He's getting in before so many other Nintendo characters: Isaac, Wolf, Shantae, Inkling, Midna, Waluigi I could go on... Why is this character with so little relation to Nintendo beating out all of these other characters who are much bigger in the Happy Go Lucky World of Nintendo? How is he able to beat all of these people out?

I can't fathom a reason other than Capcom is giving Sakurai some serious blow jobs. I suppose reasoning will come out at E3 in the coming days, but still. Why Nintendo? Why? Why is this character getting a cut in front of so many of your own?

So yeah. Still swimming in salt over this punk's inclusion, but whatever. I'll get over it.

Hell, I got over Mass Effect 3's ending. If I can get over that, I can get over some random fighter getting in Smash.
Except Ryu isn't just "some random fighter." He's the main character of one of the biggest fighting game franchises of all time. Also SF has appeared on several of Nintendo consoles in the past (mostly Super Nintendo), so it's not like there's zero connection. Yes Street Fighter hasn't been on a Nintendo console in quite some time, but they still want to honor and pay homage to the history they shared. It's similar to Snake's inclusion in Brawl, even though by that point Metal Gear had more or less moved on from Nintendo. I can understand salt over Capcom getting two reps in, that's pretty BS.

Also as @ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan it doesn't hurt that Ryu is clearly attracting a crowd from the SF community. Whether or not that makes his inclusion more acceptable or more intolerable is personal opinion. On the one hand, it does feel like favoritism and that Nintendo is trying to cash in as much as possilbe. On the other hand they ARE a company, so making bank is top priority 9 times out of 10. And if Smash gets more popular that's a win for everyone! (Nintendo gets more $$$, so they can make more awesome games and DLC for us) So it's pretty much a wash for me.

Personally I have no connection to Ryu or Street Fighter, but I do understand the presence and appeal he holds. He's not a character I would have picked by any stretch of the imagination, and I do agree that Ryu getting priority over main stay Nintendo series kind of sucks. But I'm happy for his fans. Also don't forget we still have the Smash Ballot, so Nintendo is clearly far from done with Sm4sh DLC.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Well who knows, maybe Namco and SEGA will get a second rep in later on.

Namco has Klonoa, and I don't think I need to point out how much of a fanbase Tails and and Knuckles have to the point that the fanbase would be willing to break the assumed one-rep-per-3rd-party-series rule for either of those two.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

In other news...
Actually, there isn't much... I haven't been able to play all that much Bravely Default. And next week I'm going to dedicate every minute I can do downing Turn 13 in FFXIV before early access for Heavensward starts on the 19th.

Then I won't be around much, I'm afraid. At least not until things have settled down a bit in Heavensward.
Really? This is the 4th Smash Bros game and we have pretty much every true Nintendo A-lister in the game already. Ryu's bigger than pretty much any other potential Nintendo candidate left at this point, including popular picks like K. Rool, Ridley, & Waluigi. And Ryu has definitely had a major impact on Nintendo consoles with Street Fighter 2 back on the SNES.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Also, I hardly have played Street Fighter. Ryu isn't a particular interesting character to me.
But I'm still super excited and interested that Ryu is in Smash Bros.

And I'm not saying that to make myself look good, I mean it. I think it's really cool. I love the fact doing inputs from Street Fighter actually makes his moves stronger.

And if Ryu could pave the way for more Capcom characters, or another Namco character like Nightmare or Lloyd Irving to come to Smash, that would be awesome too.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Well who knows, maybe Namco and SEGA will get a second rep in later on.

Namco has Klonoa, and I don't think I need to point out how much of a fanbase Tails and and Knuckles have to the point that the fanbase would be willing to break the assumed one-rep-per-3rd-party-series rule for either of those two.
Super Smash Bros and Knuckles Intensifies
Also, I hardly have played Street Fighter. Ryu isn't a particular interesting character to me.
But I'm still super excited and interested that Ryu is in Smash Bros.

And I'm not saying that to make myself look good, I mean it. I think it's really cool. I love the fact doing inputs from Street Fighter actually makes his moves stronger.

And if Ryu could pave the way for more Capcom characters, or another Namco character like Nightmare or Lloyd Irving to come to Smash, that would be awesome too.
So much want for a "Tales of" rep. Mostly Lloyd since Symphonia's the only major Tales game on a Nintendo console (at least in both America and Japan).

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
As much as I'm feeling Anna for smash, I feel this games needs the M rated goodness that comes with Dante B)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh man, Ryu and Roy were being streamed. What kind of magic made that possible?

Also, Eggman is the only correct choice for a 2nd Sega character. :seuss:

:231:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'm actually trying to hold out on watching people play these dlc characters early....some how.
(Keep what little is left from getting spoiled)

Anyway, FE realted:
So, um, I actually owe my interest in Fire Emblem and the genre in general thanks to this game believe it or not...

Its turn-based tactics gameplay is what got me in love in the genre to begin with. Though, not a game I would revist it as the story was pretty lackluster and various other things. (Plus, I sold it) Fun game nontheless.

Literally the lack of games when the 3DS launched lead me into loving Fire Emblem. :grin:

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
I can't fathom a reason other than Capcom is giving Sakurai some serious blow jobs.
I suppose reasoning will come out at E3 in the coming days, but still. Why Nintendo? Why? Why is this character getting a cut in front of so many of your own?

Little relation? Street Fighter II is one of the SNES's best selling titles, the 3DS port of SSFIV was the best selling port of the game when it comes to a single consoles/platforms, and has been in quite a few crossovers on Nintendo systems already.

I'm not particularly excited about Ryu's inclusion, but it has me far more interested than the return of Roy, the theoretical return of Wolf (both of whom I thoroughly believe shouldn't return, but that's a different can of worms), or ****ing Waluigi (not Isaac or Inkling though. I want those 2 in bad.)! Seriously, while some of the characters you listed I'd love to see take Ryu's place, all of them are B-listers at best, with some arguably being C-listers.

And why exactly should Smash remain 'mostly' Nintendo exclusive? I know Ninty is generally terrible at maintaining 3rd party relations, but there are characters who they don't own who still have connections to their consoles and handhelds, or who are simply well-recognized in their own right. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Also, Ryu's inclusion means there are now 4 3rd party characters in Smash 4, on a 53 character roster (55 if you count the Miis as separate fighters). That's barely 7.5% of the roster. Assuming all 5 ballot characters are Nintendo-owned, or heck, just 4 are Nintendo owned and 1 is 3rd party, this number will either lower or remain pretty consistent. Nobody is going to whine about less than 10% of a 50+ character roster being 3rd party, right...Right?

TLDR: Your salt is irrational and **** Waluigi.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Oh man, Ryu and Roy were being streamed. What kind of magic made that possible?

Also, Eggman is the only correct choice for a 2nd Sega character. :seuss:

:231:
He's built enough to be in Smash. Just look at him!

Seriously Eggman's upper body got more built than Sonic Boom. (ZING!)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So much Fire Emblem!
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina:

Also Street Fighter!:4ryu:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I think I find the fact that :4feroy: has to use 4feroy 'cause of :4roy: way funnier than it should be.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
So much want for a "Tales of" rep. Mostly Lloyd since Symphonia's the only major Tales game on a Nintendo console (at least in both America and Japan).
Please, Nintendo, please! I will give you my wallet. Just give me Lloyd as much of a pipe dream that is!

Also, direct is almost here. Let's all act "surprised" together.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
They destroyed that abomination on the top of the website! :kirby:

It's about time... Just look at this... Thing.

Ewgh...

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
While I'll wait I'm gonna watch some Hokoto No Ken FG for a hour till it starts. Don't mind me and my busted anime games folks.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Except Ryu isn't just "some random fighter." He's the main character of one of the biggest fighting game franchises of all time. Also SF has appeared on several of Nintendo consoles in the past (mostly Super Nintendo), so it's not like there's zero connection. Yes Street Fighter hasn't been on a Nintendo console in quite some time, but they still want to honor and pay homage to the history they shared. It's similar to Snake's inclusion in Brawl, even though by that point Metal Gear had more or less moved on from Nintendo. I can understand salt over Capcom getting two reps in, that's pretty BS.
this is probably the bit about Ryu's inclusion that bothers me the most, asides from not really finding interesting the addition of a fighting game character to Smash. God forbid Namco gets another rep through Heihachi, and SEGA through someone of Virtua Fighter.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
The leaked footage has been taken down after all these years. Like it makes a difference. :awesome:

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
They definitely put a lot of effort into Ryu's moveset. You can use inputs from the actual Street Fighter games for more powerful attacks and holding the A button can give you a light, medium, or heavy attack depending on how long you do so. He even has two final smash attacks depending on your distance. Ryu is easily the most unique Smash character so far!

I think I'm going to wait for my next paycheck before I buy Roy, Ryu, and Lucas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom