• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time to start over..? (Sorry, another rant)

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
So... I took the advice of the last big post I made to heart. Trained with some FC buddies, learned some tricks for a few characters, watched other people playing and tried to control my anxiety. And how do you think that's fared for me?

I just keep losing, and losing, and losing. Win rate has yet to climb over 30-40%

It feels like no mater how much I learn everyone is always a hundred steps ahead of me. I've had matches where people defeat me and I barely can hit them once. I mix things up, I try and keep advanced tactics in their mind, but someone who has picked Little Mac and only uses dash attacks could easily defeat me. I block with as good timing as I can, I grab when needed, and I don't spam rolls, but they still see all my defenses coming and teabag me for good measure. One player today taunted every time he attacked me, knowing I couldn't attack him back. He was Ike, just to point out - someone I've hardly ever been able to defeat since Brawl was first released. He/She then switched to the same character I was playing as before - dominated me, and to be honest, bought a tear to my eyes.

Mario and Sonic are the two I I've looked at most. Mario because he's the only one I could clear Classic 9.0 with (it took 40 tries) and Sonic because I just like his character. I tried others, but they're just not working out, like Pac Man (too predictable, poor grab), Donkey Kong (never hits, easily juggled), Kirby (poor approaches, too predictable) and Wii Fit Trainer (boring, dodgy hitboxes). I might win once in a while, but only if I get so lucky that someone accidentally tosses themselves off course. It also feels like it takes a tonne of wins to raise my win rate, but a single loss just dunks my win rate further into the pit of poorness.

What's the best way for me to share my gameplay so people can see exactly where I fail (or fail most at)? Or is it time to just pack up and uninstall the game, since I haven't improved?

Last edited:

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Since you live in the UK, want to play a few matches so I can try and see what you're doing wrong? I might not be pro but if you are losing so badly even I should be able to give you some tips and tricks. It could also be that you are being really unlucky with you who meet online. Either way, if you really are looking for a way to share your gameplay you should either capture your gameplay with a capture card or record your replays with a camera and then upload them to Youtube.

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
Don't put yourself down like that, FG win rate really doesn't matter in the end.

If you have any replays saved from when you first got the game, look at those, and then compare them to now. I'm sure you'll see quite the improvement.

If you want to do a Mario ditto, or just train in general, hit me up.

And just for the record, I haven't beaten Classic 9.0 with anyone.

As for capturing footage, I'd follow PlayerXIII's advice and just record your 3DS with your phone.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I live in Ireland (which y'know is right next door to the UK) so I'll play some games with you if you want?

Otherwise, don't get discouraged ands keep playing regardless. It's a long and arduous journey to the top, but if you dig deep into yourself and give it all you've got, you're bound to ascertain your weaknesses and accomplish successful endeavours in due time.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Since you live in the UK, want to play a few matches so I can try and see what you're doing wrong? I might not be pro but if you are losing so badly even I should be able to give you some tips and tricks. It could also be that you are being really unlucky with you who meet online. Either way, if you really are looking for a way to share your gameplay you should either capture your gameplay with a capture card or record your replays with a camera and then upload them to Youtube.
Sure thing; I'll add you in a sec. Nah I don't think it's a case of who I meet, it's that everyone I meet is a problem :p

Hellzsaint

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hellzsaint
3DS FC
0087-2525-0130
Honestly, you'll get better eventually. It took me around 12 hours of gameplay to finally get comfortable with the controls and actually start to be a challange. My problem was how to deal with people who spam rolls all day. But after that many hours of playing I finally learned how to punish and bait rolls. And in the end it all paid off! I was fighting a streamer the other week in front of 200 or so people and actually won! (though I wish I would've screenshoted the whole thing)

http://gyazo.com/b0dbd7619c8599810d73152df1ef8f2f

Don't get discouraged just keep trying!

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sorry about the poor quality video, but here's a prime example of why I fail. 65 hours doesn't mean a damn when you have no talent from the beginning ;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCcj9XovxE
You aren't too bad. You block and dodge well enough. Just try to practice your spacing, and when using someone like Luigi, remember you can walljump. You had the Zelda cornered though, until the unfortunate SDs

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
We added each other on 3ds, yet we never played. Add me on that U, if you have it? I'm still waiting to spar with you. It should be about fun, win or lose. I guarantee I can help you out just as sparring will help me out, too.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
One problem I see you have is you time smash attacks poorly, you missed quite a few and the animation lag left you open to get punished.

Other than that your not too bad.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
We added each other on 3ds, yet we never played. Add me on that U, if you have it? I'm still waiting to spar with you. It should be about fun, win or lose. I guarantee I can help you out just as sparring will help me out, too.
Sorry, I'm in the UK where the Wii U version isn't out yet. I'm online now on the 3DS though :)

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Sorry, I'm in the UK where the Wii U version isn't out yet. I'm online now on the 3DS though :)
Are you getting it next week for Wii U then? I miss you, baby, and we haven't even started playing yet ;)

Sorry, my 3ds leaked ink inside. It still plays and I can see most of the screen... but yeah.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Are you getting it next week for Wii U then? I miss you, baby, and we haven't even started playing yet ;)

Sorry, my 3ds leaked ink inside. It still plays and I can see most of the screen... but yeah.
Ja, it'll have to be next week; I'll only have the weekend to use it - stupid job/grunt work XD - but I'll probably be hooked to it. I'll send my Wii U code when I get the game, if you send me a PM to remind me (my memory is broken ^^;) as right now, the Wii U is packed away/gathering dust.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ja, it'll have to be next week; I'll only have the weekend to use it - stupid job/grunt work XD - but I'll probably be hooked to it. I'll send my Wii U code when I get the game, if you send me a PM to remind me (my memory is broken ^^;) as right now, the Wii U is packed away/gathering dust.
If you want I can add you and we can have a few matches. My win rate is like 55%, if that means anything.
We can even have a few mirror matches with Mario and Sonic, since I have a bit of practice with them.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Do you know your NNID? Is it Daxter?

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
If you want I can add you and we can have a few matches. My win rate is like 55%, if that means anything.
We can even have a few mirror matches with Mario and Sonic, since I have a bit of practice with them.
On the Wii U version do you mean? If so, sure thing. I'm sure we'll all improve when we all use Wii U/Gamecube controls. Long live the Gamecube by the way. ;)

Here's another video of a match from not 10 minutes ago. This one shows me fairing a bit better, but to be honest I don't really plan many of my moves - especially not that lucky Up-B, that was supposed to be a Side-B, and I was meant to roll when I ground dodge - ground dodging very rarely helps in my opinion. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2PXlWXVP-c

There's also this which made me feel good; I'd play as Kirby more if approaching as him was easier, but I learned this trick on the Reply Channel mode. It generally only works against Pit/Dark Pit though :) Excuse the background noise; Nala the cat was complaining. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtYklX37nik

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
On the Wii U version do you mean? If so, sure thing. I'm sure we'll all improve when we all use Wii U/Gamecube controls. Long live the Gamecube by the way. ;)

Here's another video of a match from not 10 minutes ago. This one shows me fairing a bit better, but to be honest I don't really plan many of my moves - especially not that lucky Up-B, that was supposed to be a Side-B, and I was meant to roll when I ground dodge - ground dodging very rarely helps in my opinion. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2PXlWXVP-c

There's also this which made me feel good; I'd play as Kirby more if approaching as him was easier, but I learned this trick on the Reply Channel mode. It generally only works against Pit/Dark Pit though :) Excuse the background noise; Nala the cat was complaining. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtYklX37nik
Actually I meant 3ds, but we can do Wii U too in a few days when I get mine~

And those videos were pretty nifty. But as for the second one......please never record like that ever again XDDDD

I like how you went balls deep in that second stock from Pit, edgeguarding is really important.

Another recommendation I have is to use Training mode. Pick Mario as an opponent, since he's average, and just pummel him, try stringing together different attacks, like dash attack to forward airs, down throws to up airs, etc.

@ Hayzie Hayzie - Waitwhat, we don't?

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
@ Darklink401 Darklink401 nope, on Wii U everything is by name and a lot easier to deal with. You can see who's online much faster, what they're doing and even message them through Miiverse on Wii U. You can friend request without them having to do the same in return. It's like an Xbox gamertag or PSN name.

You can send a friend request to somebody you played on Smash Bros, in Smash Bros. There's a button for that :)

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Another fail here; none of my attacks were planned. Greninja moves so fast I could only press buttons and hope the attacks work. You can imagine I get 0%'ed against ZSS and Sheik too often for my own good. In fact I've never defeated either of them. Not once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpMh3UFEbzA&list=UUh9_gs7AnXMfROumX6nM4bA

On a side note, I very rarely taunt my opponents, and if they taunt me, my self-esteem takes a nose dive.

EDIT: Sorry about the quality. On the phone it looks fine, but until it gets on YouTube I have no idea how bad the quality is.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
You're psyching yourself out. Based off that one game I can tell you have decent tech skill, but make sloppy errors off stage making you easy to punish. You're probably on tilt from your losses, causing to be more rash in your decisions. This is bad because the game is based on spacing and to some degree patience.

The best recommendation I would give is to relax and take a break from For Glory. Get some practice in and build in some confidence. Practice your off stage game play (that being offensive and recovery).

However above all else, the biggest advice I'd give is to take all advice from these boards (including mine) with a grain of salt. We only have one video to build our ideas from. I have had games just like that; everyone does now and then. One game isn't indicative in skill and to have people judge you off that isn't fair to you.

Edit: and of course I post this right after a new video comes up :charizard:
Just a friendly tip; A moving Down B is a much safer approach option then dash A.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Another fail here; none of my attacks were planned. Greninja moves so fast I could only press buttons and hope the attacks work. You can imagine I get 0%'ed against ZSS and Sheik too often for my own good. In fact I've never defeated either of them. Not once.

On a side note, I very rarely taunt my opponents, and if they taunt me, my self-esteem takes a nose dive.
How's that a fail? You got him up to high percent on his last stock.

Gotta start praisin yourself for the little stuff, man.

Also taunts are misnomers. They're not taunts in Japanese, they're more like character actions.

There's no reason they should annoy you.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068

EDIT: Sorry about the quality. On the phone it looks fine, but until it gets on YouTube I have no idea how bad the quality is.
Wow that is far from a fail. Dat recovery was way better than I can do with Luigi. Plus you gimped him, then finger gutted him out of there, lol! The percentages were fairly close to each other in the end. You know what, he kept spamming his Up Smash to get the kill. You just fell into it. I can say just read your opponent better and not rush into attack all the time. Step back and forth and have him guessing. Luigi is floaty, take advantage of that... dodge/air-dodge when you can.

You talk too low on yourself :) I see massive potential. You're neither terrible, nor a noob.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Never give up. First major rule. Also, as your number of games played increases, it becomes harder to both raise and lower your win rate.

Aside from that, your reasoning for characters is strong. Just keep at it. Sometimes I find it helps to just unwind and play some For Fun FFAs just to chuck bombs and release some stress, though that probably doesn't work for everyone. Just the fact that you're analyzing your shortcomings and trying to improve says things about your mindset though. Keep at it, you'll improve. I'd offer to play/coach/whatever, but internet from here to there might be more than a bit spotty.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Have you studied the damage, startup times, endlag times, and hitboxes? Knowing what you can quickly punish or follow up with will help you, as long as you keep your cool.

.. I know it's very silly and may only work for complete buttonmashers, but try playing Practice mode vs LV8/9 Sheik at 1/4 speed. Might help you think about your actions a bit more.
I simply don't understand any of the lingo or technical details, no matter how much I read them, and my mind goes blank in battle so I can't recall them anyway. Anyway, HERE is the pinnacle of how bad I am; the enemy only had 23% damage and he 2-stocked me. ;( Sorry, I know it sounds like I'm being too hard on myself, but I have very low self-esteem, and the fact is I'm not winning many games at all. The people on Game FAQs (sorry, better name and shame at last) saying "git gut" are right. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDOgfedbXY

Side note: These videos all show Weegee, but it's Donkey Kong, Sonic and Kirby, or maybe even Bowser I'd rather try to "main."

EDIT: Got a video of DK being owned by a typical Little Mac player. No matter how many I face, I never learn. I read the same tips and tricks again and again online, but it's too hard to apply what I read in game, not to mention I usually don't understand what people are saying when it comes to combos or terminology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34-qTVrNApA&list=UUh9_gs7AnXMfROumX6nM4bA

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I simply don't understand any of the lingo or technical details, no matter how much I read them, and my mind goes blank in battle so I can't recall them anyway. Anyway, HERE is the pinnacle of how bad I am; the enemy only had 23% damage and he 2-stocked me. ;( Sorry, I know it sounds like I'm being too hard on myself, but I have very low self-esteem, and the fact is I'm not winning many games at all. The people on Game FAQs (sorry, better name and shame at last) saying "git gut" are right. :p

You don't have to recall them, you have to use muscle memory (though in-battle strategy does help). That's why it's important to his the training ground.

Also if that's the pinnacle of how bad you are, then you're not doing so bad.

I mean, aside from the SD, you were dodging nicely, and scored some decent hits.

Also naming your videos Fail 1,2,3,4 etc just aint good, unless you're posting a funny video.

And it doesn't 'sound like' you're being too hard on yourself. It's like, literally a fact.

If you like Luigi, a basic enough technique to try is RAR, where you're running, then you turn around and quickly jump or hop (while still maintaining running momentum), so you can hit your opponent with your bair instead of your fair. In this case, Luigi's bair has more range, so it can work for ya.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Well,whatever you do,don't ask for help on GFAQS.They'll just run you into the ground calling you a scrub and saying 'get gud lol'.
Honestly that site is a joke.Stick to here where people will actually want to help.;)
I haven't watched the videos,but if you SD often, just don't edge-guard offstage is my suggestion,until you're more comfortable.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
The best way to learn is to lose. That's how I got good. I'm a Ganondorf main, and let me tell you. I could not handle ZSS Sheik, or Ness. But I losed a lot, and I eventually started to find ways against these matchups. And now, I think I am a pretty decent competitive player and a good Ganondorf. Just don't be angry or sad at your mistakes, just learn from them.
Very off topic:
@ Hayzie Hayzie ! How are you, we totally forgot to 1v1 in the 3ds version. I guess we just have to skip the 3ds version and go straight to the real version of smash. Oh darn :)

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The best way to learn is to lose. That's how I got good. I'm a Ganondorf main, and let me tell you. I could not handle ZSS Sheik, or Ness. But I losed a lot, and I eventually started to find ways against these matchups. And now, I think I am a pretty decent competitive player and a good Ganondorf. Just don't be angry or sad at your mistakes, just learn from them.
Very off topic:
@ Hayzie Hayzie ! How are you, we totally forgot to 1v1 in the 3ds version. I guess we just have to skip the 3ds version and go straight to the real version of smash. Oh darn :)
Saw this post by chance. I'm not bad! Yourself? How come I'm not being notified when I'm tagged lately?

We will definitely need to ASMASHU. :smash:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Saw this post by chance. I'm not bad! Yourself? How come I'm not being notified when I'm tagged lately?

We will definitely need to ASMASHU. :smash:
Definitely. What's your NNID? Mine is Lozjam.
I'm also very good myself.

Last edited:

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet

Side note: These videos all show Weegee, but it's Donkey Kong, Sonic and Kirby, or maybe even Bowser I'd rather try to "main."

EDIT: Got a video of DK being owned by a typical Little Mac player. No matter how many I face, I never learn. I read the same tips and tricks again and again online, but it's too hard to apply what I read in game, not to mention I usually don't understand what people are saying when it comes to combos or terminology.

Easy way to counter Little Mac is too camp on the edge of the stage, eventually he'll get impatient and charge to you, most likely going for a F-Tilt. Shield whatever attack he throws at you and shield grab him, then throw him off the stage, try and spike him if you can, if not then just repeat.

THis is currently my only way of knowing how to counter Mac as I used to main him. *Ashamed face*

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Well,whatever you do,don't ask for help on GFAQS.They'll just run you into the ground calling you a scrub and saying 'get gud lol'.
Honestly that site is a joke.Stick to here where people will actually want to help.;)
I haven't watched the videos,but if you SD often, just don't edge-guard offstage is my suggestion,until you're more comfortable.
Oh thank goodness, that wasn't just my opinion. More videos later, work to do first :p

Raijinken

Smash Master

In general: You seem to have the right ideas a lot of the time, you're just acting a tad slow. That will improve with practice, but if you can, try to be... deliberate, I guess, in your timing. Don't think "This'll probably hit", think "This WILL hit if I go now", and then do it. As some skilled players in other games taught me years ago, "Don't just do things. Know exactly why you're trying to do what you're doing."

With regards to the Luigi video:
For Luigi, one issue you had was that you were either trying too hard to read (hard enough in general, even worse online), or simply aren't sufficiently used to which of Luigi's moves are safe. For instance, when you use your Bair a few times, that's a very quick and reliable move. On the other hand, trying to land on a grounded and free opponent with Bair is far riskier, as shows - you constantly got shielded and punished. In short, you went for too many hard-hitting moves (finishers, if you will), instead of lighter hits that would have been more sure. Once damage is racked up, THAT is when Luigi shines, as his FSmash and other moves have very good scaling. A lot of the time, you tried Upsmashing when Ness was going to land. Instead, try jumping into the air and chasing him with up-airs, for instance. Lastly, against enemies who are dodge happy, use your Dsmash to cover both sides.

With regards to the DK video:
Little Mac is VERY good against DK in general. DK's huge, which makes him really easy for Mac to hit. However, you made some good moves. Your throw -> spike combo worked very well, and Little Mac is of course easiest to kill if you can just toss him off. However, much like Luigi, you went for a lot of hard and dangerous hits, instead of chipping what you could. DK has pretty good jabs and tilts (down tilt is pretty great, as is utilt), and his bair and uair are also very good juggling moves. It's a bit harder on the 3DS than on a regular controller, but if you can kinda hop backwards and use his bair, it comes out very quickly and doesn't have very bad endlag (unlike trying to approach with his fair). Nair is also good in some cases, but Mac is small so he can be hard to safely hit with that. Another issue with the heavy hits against Mac is his counter: Especially for DK, slow strong moves are prime counter-fodder and will get you killed. If you prefer to approach, go for the bair or nair, and when he's on the ground, try to grab, up-throw, and then juggle him with tilts or uair. If you prefer the defensive, remember that Mac has to be on the ground, where Ground Pound can hit for decent damage while also popping him into the air (risky, though, use that sparingly).

If you want more specific feedback, feel free to send me more video links or just descriptions. I dabble in all characters, so I may be able to provide some insight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom