• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time to start over..? (Sorry, another rant)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I found this in another "I should just give up thread cuz I'm not good enough" thread
Seeing as all your video descriptions make you sound depressed Imma share this so it can help you, maybe.
I don't think these guys are giving you actual advice. People telling you to not quit should just shut up. This is all about your attitude towards the game. The amount of time you put into the game at this point isn't going to make a difference. Work on how you see the game and distance yourself emotionally from your failures. If you can't stay mentally engaged and instead get on tilt, you need to quit. Throwing your equipment is not acceptable. Wobbles is one of the best Melee players and he would not have reached that level of play if he hadn't overcome his poor relationship with the game.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
2000 matches passed. I spent 5 hours on a train journey yesterday, so I decided to practice offline as best as I could in training mode. As soon as I could, I went online, only to be destroyed in every single match. A Ness player beat me 3 times - I couldn't even land when he kept using PK Thunder, and he would taunt me for it every time I got hit. Then this Captain Falcon came along, and utterly humiliated me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVbYU6Aemy4

I haven't learned a thing clearly; I still have no proper Main as no matter who I choose, I get slaughtered by someone who's only just picked up Smash for the first time. Anyone who sees me frequently on here will know that card in my signature never settles on a character. I can feel good about winning one or two games, only to find I lucked out against finding bad opponents, and when I go into a REAL battle, I get destroyed and mocked for false hope.

I have no sense of how to clear my mind, and I always lose. Always. I'm a hopeless case in every sense of the word; the Smash 4 community shuns people like me because I can and will get salty about the fact I never improve. I try harder than anyone to do so. I read all the guides, watch all the videos, practice on the Ladder, and more besides. But I still ALWAYS lose, because in an actual game, I forget it all and forget to even dodge things properly.

Last edited:

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
- Wii Fii Trainer is probably one of the hardest characters to choose when you are unexperienced. It is not a character who you should use occasionally. His hitboxes are quite weird and he is not one of the best characters anyway. You dont need to pick exactly one main, but I think you should limit yourself on picking about 3 characters you can switch depending on the matchup.

- Smash Bros is a psychologic thing and once you are in a desperate state, you are going even to lose against players you usually shouldnt skill-wise. I sometimes compare smash to poker. Many beginners are going "all in" and lose, going for too risky smashes and spikes without being able to pull it of, so they get punished hard. One reason you seem to lose though is because you are so full of doubt that you are unwilling to take enough risks, like someone who does only play the very secure hands and retreats against any kind of bluff. The opponent is going to realize this soon and capitalize on your behaviour. This way you invite them to be very risky and "mean" to you because you signalize that you wont be able to punish.

- If you watch replays, which kind of replays do you watch? It might be wrong to watch top players, since their level is so much higher that you might not get what they are doing, what you can learn from them. I think you should watch some matches from the video channel instead, since this is the first goal you want to reach, right?

- It is quite a short video, but it seems like you should use more grabs and shieldgrabs instead of trying to "outspace" falcon in the air.

Last edited:

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
2000 matches passed. I spent 5 hours on a train journey yesterday, so I decided to practice offline as best as I could in training mode. As soon as I could, I went online, only to be destroyed in every single match. A Ness player beat me 3 times - I couldn't even land when he kept using PK Thunder, and he would taunt me for it every time I got hit. Then this Captain Falcon came along, and utterly humiliated me.

I haven't learned a thing clearly; I still have no proper Main as no matter who I choose, I get slaughtered by someone who's only just picked up Smash for the first time. Anyone who sees me frequently on here will know that card in my signature never settles on a character. I can feel good about winning one or two games, only to find I lucked out against finding bad opponents, and when I go into a REAL battle, I get destroyed and mocked for false hope.

I have no sense of how to clear my mind, and I always lose. Always. I'm a hopeless case in every sense of the word; the Smash 4 community shuns people like me because I can and will get salty about the fact I never improve. I try harder than anyone to do so. I read all the guides, watch all the videos, practice on the Ladder, and more besides. But I still ALWAYS lose, because in an actual game, I forget it all and forget to even dodge things properly.
2 things I'm noticing, one gameplay related, and one not:

1) You seem to lack an understanding of what "safe" in the context of this game is...and knowledge of many of the fundamentals for that matter. Trust me, this is not to bash you (you posted the vid because you wanted critique right? not just for us to go "oh, yeah, you're right, you suck - good luck with that"), but to suggest that you get back to basics in terms of learning how to maneuver, space (super important for Wii Fit with her wonky hitboxes and whatnot) and defend. It might have been nerves, or it might have been the tilt you were on, but so many of your options in that video were unsafe - your movement, your attacks, your recovery.

I'd advise you to do some research on the topic - broad safe play strategies can be applied to pretty much any character (so you don't have to get hung up on whether you switch mains) and will go a long way towards helping you win. Or at least help you live long enough to give yourself a shot at winning. And if you become overwhelmed by technical jargon, work on one simple thing at a time, e.g., where should I land to not get hit? is this attack fast enough to use when I'm this close to my opponent? One thing at a time.

As a post-script to this bit - all that time in training mode is good for pure tech skill, but it won't help when it comes to learning how to really play. As much as it blows to lose, you gotta use these human matches as your practice time. And if it's not a tournament, really that's all they are: practice.

2) Everyone gets salty now and then, but Smash is not that serious - the overwhelming majority of us are not doing this for a living and even those who are wouldn't be if they didn't find fun in the game, win or lose. All of the advice in the world will not help you if you don't work on your self-esteem issues (which, if I'm not being presumptuous, seem to extend beyond the game...) and attitude towards playing. Worry less about winning or understanding all the terminology and just try to appreciate that maybe you learned one new thing today - that you didn't fall for something that you always did in the past or that you pulled off a two hit string that you read about online, in-game (and on-purpose).

This is not a game for those who are easily discouraged by others being better than you (the series is over 15 years old and some people have been playing it for that long) or by being taunted when you lose. It's unlikely that your faceless Internet opponent is out to truly humiliate you and certainly no one in this community is out to shun you. It is also not a game for those who don't want to spend hours upon hours (which will amount to way over 2000 for glory matches - which, to be honest, only count for so much) of work - even the "naturally good" players need to hone their skills if they want to be top competitors. If you can't not sweat the small stuff and can't appreciate the tiny victories, then this just isn't the game for you, my friend.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
I think your weakness is a tendency to just throw out random moves a lot. Especially super punishable things like smashes. And your recovery is really odd - just go for the ledge instead of landing on the stage, where you're extremely easy to punish.

Proper spacing and knowing when to shield and punish is what makes and breaks you in this iteration of smash. A lot of the moves that Falcon was doing were punishable if you had just shielded them - for example downairs into the ground, random fsmash, ect. He was a pretty decent player though, good bair spacing.

I would like to play some matches with you and try to see if I can come up with some better advice. Message me if you'd like to. I can play most characters decently, so if you'd like matchup specific advice just ask.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

I feel your pain Daxter, I lose often online (mostly with Dark Pit despite him being my main, although he's my winningest character out of the 1s I used before, Lucario is my undefeated character despite using him in only 2 matches, 1 of which was a 1-on-1 with a somewhat passable Captain Falcon player (mostly kept spamming Raptor Boost to juggle me, then I spammed him back with Double Team (have since gotten a lot better with him to the point where I was beastly with him in Brawl) mostly on FG and a few friendlies and stopped playing online right before Xmas (mostly because I couldn't do anything against good Marios/Dr. Marios or anyone in general), and I'm thinking of finding a decent training partner to spar with, although I'm going to wait till Spring before I do any online related stuff since it's pretty much mini-Russia up where I live right now (yes I'm living in a big icebox, no thanks to the recent snowstorms), but when I do hit me up a FC exchange and we'll do a few friendlies (I'm decent with Donkey Kong so I might give a few pointers along with a few ditto matches, might even help ya with some Pit training using Dark Pit (even though there are differences between the 2).

I don't have Wi-Fi in my house, so I have to go to my local library for Wi-Fi related.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
So... I took the advice of the last big post I made to heart. Trained with some FC buddies, learned some tricks for a few characters, watched other people playing and tried to control my anxiety. And how do you think that's fared for me?

I just keep losing, and losing, and losing. Win rate has yet to climb over 30-40%

It feels like no mater how much I learn everyone is always a hundred steps ahead of me. I've had matches where people defeat me and I barely can hit them once. I mix things up, I try and keep advanced tactics in their mind, but someone who has picked Little Mac and only uses dash attacks could easily defeat me. I block with as good timing as I can, I grab when needed, and I don't spam rolls, but they still see all my defenses coming and teabag me for good measure. One player today taunted every time he attacked me, knowing I couldn't attack him back. He was Ike, just to point out - someone I've hardly ever been able to defeat since Brawl was first released. He/She then switched to the same character I was playing as before - dominated me, and to be honest, bought a tear to my eyes.

Mario and Sonic are the two I I've looked at most. Mario because he's the only one I could clear Classic 9.0 with (it took 40 tries) and Sonic because I just like his character. I tried others, but they're just not working out, like Pac Man (too predictable, poor grab), Donkey Kong (never hits, easily juggled), Kirby (poor approaches, too predictable) and Wii Fit Trainer (boring, dodgy hitboxes). I might win once in a while, but only if I get so lucky that someone accidentally tosses themselves off course. It also feels like it takes a tonne of wins to raise my win rate, but a single loss just dunks my win rate further into the pit of poorness.

What's the best way for me to share my gameplay so people can see exactly where I fail (or fail most at)? Or is it time to just pack up and uninstall the game, since I haven't improved?
Yeah I have this too, but the opposite. Sometimes I keep getting noobs who I easily beat without them barely being able to hit me. It gets boring after a while. I do not normally teabag though, I normally taunt by spamming Uptilt.

My win rate is pretty low too though, since I have played more than half of my matches with a character that is not R.O.B. and I suck when I am not with R.O.B. My win rate is a little above 75% and it rises very slowly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom