• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier Position?

neji49

Smash Cadet
Just out of curiosity, what is Falco's current projected tier spot right now?

Ceruvik

Smash Cadet
mid-high, but don't worry about tiers until later. There are still more techniques to discover and the game is to "young".

PNTBuenaPark

Smash Rookie
DSF told me that in japan that Falco is #4 while snake is #1 then wario then #3 i dont know then falco. must beccause of falcos godly chian grab spike,shdl, and the new dashcanceling, and the dlx canceling.

neji49

Smash Cadet
DSF told me that in japan that Falco is #4 while snake is #1 then wario then #3 i dont know then falco. must beccause of falcos godly chian grab spike,shdl, and the new dashcanceling, and the dlx canceling.
Where did you figure that out? That looks like a pretty unlikely tier list to me, where did you figure it out? (No Offense)

V

Smash Ace
i heard somebody say the best brawl player in the world uses snake too. he can be extremely annoying. i think its too early also

neji49

Smash Cadet
Do you think he'll beat out Wolf? For personal reasons I have a personal vendetta against Wolf with Falco. I'm hoping he will but it doesn't look like it since everybody thinks Wolf is top tier.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Falco is definitely one of the top characters in this game, a lot of people don't know his potential/how to use him.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
NJ is right. Falco is one of the few characters with versatility in his game play, and doesn't fall flat on his face (this is not a reference to tripping) when doing so. He also has good recovery, a chain grab, a spammable projectile, and a deadly spike.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
A spike is a move that sends the opponent down., just like a meteor smash. However spikes are not cancellable by jumping at the right time like in meteor cancelling.

Blad01

Smash Lord
NJ is right. Falco is one of the few characters with versatility in his game play, and doesn't fall flat on his face (this is not a reference to tripping) when doing so. He also has good recovery, a chain grab, a spammable projectile, and a deadly spike.
I agree but...

If you can't spike your opponent (because he can't be chaingrabed or wathever), how do you kill him ? That's the only Falco's problem : His Up SMash is ok, but desn' t kill Mario until 122% :/
His Forward Smash is too long to prepare, but can be use on an opponent's error...

aids514

Smash Cadet
I've got Falco pegged at upper-middle tier. He's pretty slow now and his shine is near unusable for combos.

DSF said he was #4? I don't think so. And Wario is #3? Ok....I know that Futile has a good Wario but there's no way Wario is top tier.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I agree but...

If you can't spike your opponent (because he can't be chaingrabed or wathever), how do you kill him ? That's the only Falco's problem : His Up SMash is ok, but desn' t kill Mario until 122% :/
His Forward Smash is too long to prepare, but can be use on an opponent's error...
Uair kills, Bair spam off the edge, D smash. Falco isn't at a lack of kill moves. I'd actually say he has just as many as melee (no more vertical shine kills though, and without being able to combo into spikes it becomes less obvious). It's all just, like with every character, being able to predict and use the correct one, as if you miss habitually, you aren't going to be killing your opponent often.

Gren Kuts

Smash Rookie
How the hell could Mario EVER be high tier with his current move list?

Anyway, I haven't mastered Falc and I'm still having trouble with cookie-cutter Marths and Ikes (but that's probably because online play sucks and I can't capitalize on whiffs). So I can't say. He's got a lot of tools, though. And he's fun-as-hell.

Jem.

Smash Master
I personally think he belongs in mid tier, MAYBE high tier, but im more leniant to mid tier cause I dont hear about Falco's placing in top 3 at tournaments with skilled people yet, only Snake/MK.

benf

Smash Rookie
Can someone who is a lot more informed then me please explain:

Falcos unique advantages on already 'good' seeming characters/strategies

and

What are easily abusable win tactics that falco has so far, aka basic high play gameplan

Blackslash25

Smash Rookie
Chain grabbing, godly spike A chain grab to spike combo that could cause instant death used by a good player. Decent recovery. Lazers and a reflector that do well against approachers. He's top tier. Ppl who say he's not dont know his potential or just dont want to realize they use a top tier character.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
I agree but...

His forward smash is one of his best KO moves, you just need to learn to use it out of your shield, another good way to do it is after your A, A, A combo (if they DI it wrong of course). His bair is amazing to edgeguard and is definitely one of his better killing moves.

Jem.

Smash Master
Godly Spike? Please, its pretty much a meteor now it seems like with brawl physics. You have to spike them twice in a row off a double jump just so it actually kills, and even then it can be risky if they gimp you off the edge when you're out of jumps.

thx

Smash Ace
I personally think he belongs in mid tier, MAYBE high tier, but im more leniant to mid tier cause I dont hear about Falco's placing in top 3 at tournaments with skilled people yet, only Snake/MK.
i think its because no one is really playing him not because hes not high tier material once the game settles i think there will be more falcos its kinda starting with people around my area i mean come on chain grab more than 50 percent of the characters in the game great moves hes mad cheap lmao

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Thx dont take it too far. I dont think he's cheap but chain grabbing is. But like thx said give it more time and falco will be dominating tourneys.
That's good to hear.

I can get kills without even having to rack up damage on my opponent with Falco's spike. But now people are talking about this "chain-grab" and "laser-lock." Can someone please explain to me what these moves are?

Blad01

Smash Lord
His forward smash is one of his best KO moves, you just need to learn to use it out of your shield, another good way to do it is after your A, A, A combo (if they DI it wrong of course). .
Are you kidding ? A forward Smash Out Of SHield takes too long... Look by example at this vid : Here

After A,A,A... Yeah maybe if he DI wrong. ;) I think the best way to use it is after a doxn throw, or to punish an opponent's roll...

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Are you kidding ? A forward Smash Out Of SHield takes too long... Look by example at this vid : Here

After A,A,A... Yeah maybe if he DI wrong. ;) I think the best way to use it is after a doxn throw, or to punish an opponent's roll...

I agree.

I don't bother using it unless I'm punishing a roll or a bad move. The likely thing to happen when using it is that my opponent will roll away when I use it. But yeah, after AAA or any attack that will knock them over, they'll get up and thats when you load an f smash.

A good thing to note: When your opponents hp is low (pretty much at the start of the game) when they are on the ground and they get up, spamming 2-3 f smashes really works.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
That's good to hear.

I can get kills without even having to rack up damage on my opponent with Falco's spike. But now people are talking about this "chain-grab" and "laser-lock." Can someone please explain to me what these moves are?
Hi there, Falcos chain-grab is when you repeatedly use his down throw, then catch your enemy,then downthrow them again before they can escape, it can be used on many characters to get them from around 0-40 damage.

A lot of people however are against this technique often referring to it as"cheap" , but in a tournament situation ,or hey, even a serious friendly , you can blame people for gaining some free damage right?

Falcos Laser-lock, is when under certain situations you can simply keep firing lasers, and your opponent will be unable to escape, as they will be hit while lying on the floor, unable to escape it until they reach the end of the stage, this however is EXTREMELY hard to use in a serious match, even computers over level 4 will rarely get under this situation

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
This is how it looks to me:

1. Falco could easily be mid - high tier.

2. Not many people have been using him in tournaments. AT ALL.

3. Noone is really playing with him that precisely yet.

4. We are discovering new things with him all the time.

5. There is a lot more to him. I stress: A LOT MORE.

6. This is not an easy character to pick up.

7. He has a chain grab - instant 50% damage if done correctly. In most cases, except against the very best, this can mean EVERYTHING.

8. Playing Falco is like playing a character that always has a 50% lead on every one else for each and every stock.

9. Wait till he is NEAR-MASTERED. That puts him up in top tier.

10. Falco almost mastered (because noone can ever master anything in smash, noone mastered Melee =P) together with chain grab = top of top tier.

Blad01

Smash Lord
So, after one month and a half for you, what do you think of his Tier Position ?

I personnally played him in France, since February, in tournaments, and i think (Mid) High-Tier. He has some difficulties aginst G&W, MK and sometimes Wolf. To kill with him, you have to master him (I don't say i've mastered him entirely). But if someone knows your game, and has a difficult character to fight (T. Link by example), it can be difficult to kill him (not to rack up damages, however).

So i don't think he's Top Tier.

BEES

Smash Lord
Falco's in a good spot on the tiers. Good enough to where the character doesn't hold you back, but underrated enough that you won't look like a cheapass whenever you beat people with him.

Top Bottom