• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier lists: by stage

Olikus

Smash Champion
I think fox is the most gay caracther, because he can reach the highest possible gayness.

And that is playing DK vs fox on hyrule, an fox running around laser spamming. I dont care how much techskill fox needs. That is so much more gay than get caught by an kirby uptilt.

I agree kyrby uptilt and pika backthrow is cheaper, cus its more easy.

But laser spamming fox is by far the gayest imo.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
Kirby's uptilt is easier to execute than fox' SHDL.
People that say kirby's uptilt is cheaper, suck against kirby. People that say fox' SHDL is cheaper, suck against fox. That's just what I think.
Bet 90% of the posters that are hating on kirby will jump into utilts all the time, and 90% of the people hating on fox will just run into lasers blindly all the time.
Too bad cheapness doesn't have a set definition or I'd bring my homeboy squall with the calculator.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
You're weird, so arguing with you is pointless. Not that nobody knew that, but I'm not continuing this.
"you're weird" therefore "arguing with you is pointless". not sure i understand that logic :p

anyway i feel like i'm trying to make a pretty simple point but maybe i'm not explaining myself well.

it is kinda funny though how people want to post their opinions but don't want to discuss them at all. why bother posting about a topic at all if you don't want to discuss it? i guess you can go back to all the "list your favorite characters" threads where everyone posts a list and no one reads anyone else's list.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I get what you're saying, ballin'

I don't agree with it because it's just not the way most people use the word. What you say makes sense, but no one calls shine shieldbreaks "cheap," simply because it's so rarely seen, and I don't believe any level of consistency from any one player would change that.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If i were able to shine shield break every time i hit an aerial on shield then people would start calling that cheap pretty quick methinks. No one calls that cheap precisely because it never happens.

But anyway I was talking about things like SHDL that take a bit of practice but are humanely possible to be 100% consistent at. I just don't think anyone who gets owned by SHDL thinks to themselves "well, i would think that's cheap, but at least my opponent had to practice tech skill for a few hours". Or if kirby's utilt required timed button presses like SHDL (but was still possible to get 100% consistent at with a bit of practice) I don't think people would suddenly think it isn't cheap.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
If i were able to shine shield break every time i hit an aerial on shield then people would start calling that cheap pretty quick methinks. No one calls that cheap precisely because it never happens.

But anyway I was talking about things like SHDL that take a bit of practice but are humanely possible to be 100% consistent at. I just don't think anyone who gets owned by SHDL thinks to themselves "well, i would think that's cheap, but at least my opponent had to practice tech skill for a few hours". Or if kirby's utilt required timed button presses like SHDL (but was still possible to get 100% consistent at with a bit of practice) I don't think people would suddenly think it isn't cheap.
Against my better judgment, I'll retort lol

So you're postion is that even extremely technically difficult things can be seen as cheap if you are consistent with them, because your opponent WON'T think "well, i would think that's cheap, but at least my opponent had to practice tech skill for a few hours"

But on the other hand extremely strategically difficult things cannot be seen as cheap if you are consistent with them because your opponent WILL think "well, i would think that's cheap, but at least my opponent had to practice strategy for a few hours"

Getting good at anything in smash requires practice. That includes BOTH tech skill and strategy. Now, certain things do require more practice than others, and I'll grant it generally takes longer to implement good strategy than good tech skill. However, this doesn't change the fact that both require practice. My position is that the longer "it", whatever "it" is, takes to implement, the more impressive, and thereby less cheap, "it" is.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
sigh

people will call something 'cheap' if it is

a) beating the crap out of them repeatedly
b) looks easy to execute/simple (SHDL may fall into this category)

that's all, the definition is just very wide and limited only by your personal salt levels

clubbadubba

Smash Master
sigh

people will call something 'cheap' if it is

a) beating the crap out of them repeatedly
b) looks easy to execute/simple (SHDL may fall into this category)

that's all, the definition is just very wide and limited only by your personal salt levels
Is that an AND or and OR logical operator between a) and b)?

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I feel like cheap is more B than A.

Example: -Someone with minimal skill does a falcon combo: Dashdance spam to up smash, uair, uair, uair, uair, up b instant kill if i'm playing ness and he's not dumb at edgeguarding. Also, this is nearly impossible to DI out of. I consider this to be "cheap"

-Someone who is beast with fox shoots me with a few lasers and then does a nice combo. Unlike not being able to di out of a really easy-to-execute combo such as falcon, i watch in awe as I get ***** by a good Fox player :p

Also, I frequently DI out of fox combos involving dairs, jab to up smashes, etc.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i just realised that smash 64 itself defines cheap in its 1p mode

so lets just go by that definition

any damaging move repeated enough to deal 35% or more in a match is cheap

ballin4life

Smash Hero
lol at aa's post

Against my better judgment, I'll retort lol

So you're postion is that even extremely technically difficult things can be seen as cheap if you are consistent with them, because your opponent WON'T think "well, i would think that's cheap, but at least my opponent had to practice tech skill for a few hours"

But on the other hand extremely strategically difficult things cannot be seen as cheap if you are consistent with them because your opponent WILL think "well, i would think that's cheap, but at least my opponent had to practice strategy for a few hours"

Getting good at anything in smash requires practice. That includes BOTH tech skill and strategy. Now, certain things do require more practice than others, and I'll grant it generally takes longer to implement good strategy than good tech skill. However, this doesn't change the fact that both require practice. My position is that the longer "it", whatever "it" is, takes to implement, the more impressive, and thereby less cheap, "it" is.
being good at strategy is not solely practice though, and being able to out-think an opponent is much, much more impressive than being able to do some random tech skill. if you beat me solely due to your tech skill, then I can always think "well I would be able to do that too if I just practiced all day". Not so if it were due to strategy.

in a nutshell i'd say the biggest difference is that practice is both necessary and sufficient for good tech skill, but for good strategy practice is merely necessary, not sufficient. Good strategy comes from the mind.

Personally, I'm not interested in purely physical contests (like Mario Party's "mash B as fast as you can" minigames). It's the mental aspect of competition that is interesting.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think fox is the most gay caracther, because he can reach the highest possible gayness.
Dude I KNOW. I have two gay friends, and the first one is usually gayer than the second one, but I think the second one is gayer becaude he can reach the highest possible gayness. I understand your feels bro

slightly fabricated

inb4 nobody gets my humor

welcome to the 'usually right but generally accepting if they're wrong' club

star king is more right than i am, but i care less so it evens out
OMG. I freaking L.O.V.E. you. I don't know why I'm overreacting but I'm crying (not really). You deserve a hug

I'm not drunk

I think Pete/TANK/Ricky already formed some training mode combo club btw

Olikus

Smash Champion
Dude I KNOW. I have two gay friends, and the first one is usually gayer than the second one, but I think the second one is gayer becaude he can reach the highest possible gayness. I understand your feels bro

slightly fabricated

inb4 nobody gets my humor
I get your humor. you have done it before. and i gotta tell you a secret.

its the most hillarious thing you ever done. People laughing their ***** of. And you are the person to thank.

Thank you star king. Thank you for being so insane funny.

Its very amusing.

thank you.

thank you again.

thnx

TANK64

Smash Lord
I think I read everything...

@Pete, careful throwing around that vocab. The people can't handle the truth.

Also, I agree with Ballin'. *runs*

-about the definition, not that I care about most cheap stuff in this game.

-If it takes less tech skill it's more annoying though.

-Camping is gay.

Top Bottom