• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

ilysm

sleepy
Don't forget when Nausicaa hang out here and would go back and forth with Odds. Those were the days.

Now that we have an actual community panel to make actual tier lists from time to time IDK where that leaves this thread. It's really a place for people to bicker talk about something they'd talk about everywhere else they got the opportunity to if this thread didn't exist anyway.

That said a place for that kind of discussion isn't a waste even if people rarely use it.

Ice Climbers are top 10 but please don't ask me to justify it.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Don't forget when Nausicaa hang out here and would go back and forth with Odds. Those were the days.

Now that we have an actual community panel to make actual tier lists from time to time IDK where that leaves this thread. It's really a place for people to bicker talk about something they'd talk about everywhere else they got the opportunity to if this thread didn't exist anyway.

That said a place for that kind of discussion isn't a waste even if people rarely use it.

Ice Climbers are top 10 but please don't ask me to justify it.
I want to live in a commune led by nausicaa and odds

that's honestly one of my ideal futures, gardening and cooking all day and then playing smash all night

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I don't even think I consider Diddy tier 1 anymore. To me it's become more and more clear that he loses to the top 3 and also doesn't consistently have as much of an advantage against the rest of the cast and particularly other characters within the second tier.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
diddy is a very good character and I have no problem with him being top 4

I think wolf is clearly the best character in the game, with mk/fox/diddy all hovering around the second place spot, followed by mewtwo/wario/sheik

also I'm going into finals and then into cycling season and just got umvc3 for pc and I'm so excited to be able to sink time into my endeavors

chun/mags/sentinel let's gooooo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In addition, Texas is a weaker region then both MD/VA and NJ/NY. Lunchables still can't even beat Oracle to my knowledge.

Look at Aftershock:

Lunchables autoqualified to be 1st seed from a strictly Texas area point system to a 16 man bracket. Beats a Texas player in Round 1 and then a :link2: who fought through an open bracket round 2. He got to top 5 through playing 2 matches. He then lost to iPunchKidz and Junebug (Who played 15-18 matches?).

Lunchables is good, but giving someone a top seed for winning solely in their own region is unwarranted and biased. Bracket theory would indicate he'd deserve a good seed, but top 4/6? I think not.

:018:

Lunchables also by no means deserves a top seed. He has done nothing other then beat people in his own region.

Take your fanboying **** outta here.

:018:
mfw

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
So I've been trying to get more into the PM scene, and I've been watching PM tournaments because of it. One of the characters I'd like to try more of is Ness, since I love the character and he seems to be very popular in the current meta. What I'm wondering is: do you think Ness is deserving of high tier because of his recent rise in tournament representation and success?

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
So I've been trying to get more into the PM scene, and I've been watching PM tournaments because of it. One of the characters I'd like to try more of is Ness, since I love the character and he seems to be very popular in the current meta. What I'm wondering is: do you think Ness is deserving of high tier because of his recent rise in tournament representation and success?
short answer: no

long answer: ness is a relatively intuitive character that rewards pressing buttons with the auto-feints of djc bair but struggles with applying "real" shield pressure and folds to some campy/focused gameplans. ness is the archetype of a character that is theoretically mid/low-tier but ease of usage and easy mixups creates larger return on investment in the nervy environment of a tournament. ness is mid-tier, but his design is such that anomalously successful results are almost expected (which, depending on your definition of a tierlist, means he isn't mid tier)

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

long answer: ness is a relatively intuitive character that rewards pressing buttons with the auto-feints of djc bair but struggles with applying "real" shield pressure and folds to some campy/focused gameplans. ness is the archetype of a character that is theoretically mid/low-tier but ease of usage and easy mixups creates larger return on investment in the nervy environment of a tournament. ness is mid-tier, but his design is such that anomalously successful results are almost expected (which, depending on your definition of a tierlist, means he isn't mid tier)
Alright, thank you :)

JOE!

Smash Hero

To translate:

Mechanically, and on paper, Ness should be Mid Tier. However in practice he has the tools and play style that allow you to do great on the human level where nerves / etc become a factor. In a tournament setting, this adds up to giving Ness great results here and there when he theoretically "shouldn't".

Sawelistme

Smash Rookie
Hi. I could try too! I find it really interesting, but at the moment i don't have enough power to do this because of my health issues, the only thing that I'm able to do, is to spend some hours in front of my pc, to see how are you going, as well as to check the online pharmacy answers about my health. Anyway thanks, i'm sure I'm going to check it.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I made another tierlist lmao because I'm not at school and I was bored

(okay for some reason the image doesn't want to load even though it shows up on my edit screen, so here's an imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/uRB76FL.png )

some things:
there's two general humps or distributions which I think correspond to the general lumping of characters into "good" and "not as good" categories, and the boundary in between these two humps are characters that I think are in the middle or can't tell which distribution they fall into. also, they're put in the middle to clearly illustrate the two humps.
everyone gets a passing grade, nobody even gets a c-, because everyone is close-ish to viable but those last three characters are gonna have to work a lot harder than the first four
ooze is anti-meta and not really easily able to be rated and also really dependent on stages, thus his own ivan ooze tier

some concerns of my own:
should ike be higher?
should sonic be higher?
do I know enough about lucario's mechanics to place him accurately? did I place him accurately?
where does pikachu go?

some concerns of others:
sonic is too low (maybe)
pit is too high (hmmm)
roy and zard should be higher (idk probably)
zard should be b tier or higher (hmmm idk)
link might be too high (I think I agree?)
pika should be high tier (I mean he sorta is)
ness/rob should be lower (hmmm)
rob should be higher (lol)
sheik, gnw, snake, marth are too high (whelp)
pika, rob, dk, yoshi are too low (whelp)
luigi is a bad character (sad tbh)

tbh I only ever make tierlists when I'm bored and I'm also very bad at this game so take everything I say with a lot of salt

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
some concerns of my own:
should ike be higher?
should sonic be higher?
do I know enough about lucario's mechanics to place him accurately? did I place him accurately?
where does pikachu go?

some concerns of others:
sonic is too low (maybe)
pit is too high (hmmm)
roy and zard should be higher (idk probably)
zard should be b tier or higher (hmmm idk)
link might be too high (I think I agree?)
pika should be high tier (I mean he sorta is)
ness/rob should be lower (hmmm)
rob should be higher (lol)
sheik, gnw, snake, marth are too high (whelp)
pika, rob, dk, yoshi are too low (whelp)
luigi is a bad character (sad tbh)
meta should be 1

wolf 2
other than that perfect

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Even though I'm a noob at this game, I may share my own tier list later. We'll see.

Edit: Welp...here's my crappy tier list :p Helpful critique on my analysis and understanding of the PM meta would be much appreciated:

Last edited:

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Oh god please tell me this is unordered within tiers

The thought of Ganon over so many characters is giving me a stroke

Edit: Even if unordered that still means he's on roughly the same level, I'm still getting a stroke
Eh I don't know. I think ganon is definitely better than kirby and bowser for instance. Yoshi and Olimar he might be even with.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Ganondorf is the worst character in the game. Or at least he has to thumb war Bowser for the title.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is the worst character in the game. Or at least he has to thumb war Bowser for the title.
Ace, Junebug, and Kage are pretty good. I've been at tournaments with Kage and seen what he can do with the character. I've never seen a great Bowser.
I don't think Olimar is the worst character in the game; he just suffered from the crappy physics glitches before so some people diss him right away.
Yoshi is okay. Not the worst character.
When you take into account Ganon's insane DACUS (4th best in the game), insane autocancels (bair autocancels 31 out of 45 frames, and all moves have super generous autocancel windows), and his weight is 6th in game. So no, he's not the worst character in the game.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Just the other day I learned Ganon and Falcon can airdodge diagonally up and waveland that way from their DJ.

If that doesn't make them top tier I don't know what people are thinking anymore.

I always knew their DJ animations were good but bruh

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Just the other day I learned Ganon and Falcon can airdodge diagonally up and waveland that way from their DJ.

If that doesn't make them top tier I don't know what people are thinking anymore.
didnt know this

ill try this out on GHZ.

I don't understand
ik its a meme
but is it a meme because there is or isn't a great bowser??

Top Bottom