• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
I feel like some of that list is results driven because while characters like Peach, Pika and Squrtle are fairly respectable in theory, they have very little rep afaik while mediocre characters such Ivy or Zard have a few notable reps that people know about and continue to net consistent results. Besides, its as Strong Bad said, the game is fairly balanced so that little things can push characters out of a tier they would normally be in which in the grand scheme things isn't a big deal. Still kinda shocked that MK getting chummy with McCloud tho.

Last edited:

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
A couple design changes id like to see in the next version. I don't think many (if any) charged moves should stay with a character when they die that way they are encouraged to use it when they have it. Currently players hold it all match until a guaranteed kill setup is created. Aka Solar Beam and Wario Waft. Both of those moves should reset whenever the character loses a stock. Why ever use waft as recovery when it can be turned into a guaranteed kill move next stock.
This would be an extreme nerf to Ivysaur for almost no reason. What's wrong with keeping solar beam between stocks? Should the charge reset every stock then? Why not? The purpose of solar beam IS to be a kill move (there are no 100% guaranteed setups for Ivysaur's solar beam. They are all DI and % dependent as well as matchup specific), and personally I think strategic solar beam usage is what makes Ivysaur fun. If I'm a stock down against an opponent, do I try to kill them and save the solar beam for last stock? Or do I use it this stock and ride the momentum to victory? Maybe they're at a high percent so I should save it for a lower percent kill...

This kind of thinking is engaging and interesting, for the Ivysaur player as well as the opponent. It influences how they choose to DI and rewards players being aware of both characters during the match. Not to mention Ivysaur really needs the solar beam in a lot of matchups to close out stocks. IMO your idea is really really not good.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Fair enough I guess. Though it make things harder to rationalize. Guess we have to wait for Strong bad to explain his unorthodox insight.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
This would be an extreme nerf to Ivysaur for almost no reason. What's wrong with keeping solar beam between stocks? Should the charge reset every stock then? Why not? The purpose of solar beam IS to be a kill move (there are no 100% guaranteed setups for Ivysaur's solar beam. They are all DI and % dependent as well as matchup specific), and personally I think strategic solar beam usage is what makes Ivysaur fun. If I'm a stock down against an opponent, do I try to kill them and save the solar beam for last stock? Or do I use it this stock and ride the momentum to victory? Maybe they're at a high percent so I should save it for a lower percent kill...

This kind of thinking is engaging and interesting, for the Ivysaur player as well as the opponent. It influences how they choose to DI and rewards players being aware of both characters during the match. Not to mention Ivysaur really needs the solar beam in a lot of matchups to close out stocks. IMO your idea is really really not good.
If you read my other posts I get into alot of detail. I will say that if she doest keep charge after death the amount needed to charge should be decreased by around 5% to make it more feasible to obtain in one stock. The change im suggesting is for design reasons not balance ones (like 3.5) so if ivysaur is having to rely on the poor design of a move then most likely the character should be tweaked to not rely so heavily on the move if thats the case.

Last edited:

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
If you read my other posts I get into alot of detail. I will say that if she doest keep charge after death the amount needed to charge should be decreased by around 5% to make it more feasible to obtain in one stock. The change im suggesting is for design reasons not balance ones (like 3.5) so if ivysaur is having to rely on the poor design of a move then most likely the character should be tweaked to not rely so heavily on the move if thats the case.
What you keep saying like a broken record is not making since to me. Your main argument for why Ivy and Wario should lose their charge after stocks is because it is "bad design".
What about it is bad, it's not clear at all to me, nothing about it is super hank or against the dev teams "rules" or design philosophy the 3.5 changes were about.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I had a tier list all made in the tier list maker and then I tabbed away to do something else and it got eaten by my tab suspender. Sorry everyone, maybe next time.
why are you making a tier list anyway
I have a hard time believing you or even ANYONE has enough detail on enough matchups for anything even vaguely specific
all you'll be doing is inviting drama and opinion bandwagoning, really
just because a thread exists titled tier list speculation, doesn't mean tier lists should be forced into existence lol

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
What you keep saying like a broken record is not making since to me. Your main argument for why Ivy and Wario should lose their charge after stocks is because it is "bad design".
What about it is bad, it's not clear at all to me, nothing about it is super hank or against the dev teams "rules" or design philosophy the 3.5 changes were about.
If you read what I already took the time to post over the past 4 pages or so a suitable answer is there. To put it simply the lack of risk involved with those moves is bad design and standardized decisions form as a result.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
I feel like some of that list is results driven because while characters like Peach, Pika and Squrtle are fairly respectable in theory, they have very little rep afaik while mediocre characters such Ivy or Zard have a few notable reps that people know about and continue to net consistent results. Besides, its as Strong Bad said, the game is fairly balanced so that little things can push characters out of a tier they would normally be in which in the grand scheme things isn't a big deal. Still kinda shocked that MK getting chummy with McCloud tho.
Peach has Hanky Panky, who doesn't travel a ton but has very good results. Pika has Anther, who does well. idk about Squirtles; Dirtyboy plays him but idk his general results

edit: oh, there's another page where this was already brought up.

Moving on, then..

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3
What I saw over the last few pages is that you made an argument, but when people responded you repeated the same arguments or said (basically) "I disagree". Specifically my super long post that you said that, after I clarified, that its your opinion is the opposite of what I said. Like, wat? I'm done with this conversation, nothing new has been said on your side and way too many attempts have been made, its going nowhere.

*edit*
Can someone please explain/discuss the whole "punish game doesn't matter for tier lists/MU's" thing. More specifically the assertion that every character can zero to death any other character through positional advantage. If that is true, why don't we see it. The counter to that is we don't know enough about our characters to pull it off yet, but that leads me to another qualm. From my understanding, there are two types of tier lists: current meta and end game meta. Obviously with PM, there is lots of guesswork, so end game (or character potential) meta creeps into current meta tier lists, but I still. Most people think current meta when they think tier list, so why does the potential of a characters punish game through positional advantage matter, since that isn't current meta.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
daily reminder that pikachu's upair knocks down at 0
the upwards hit
knocks down at 0, sends upward for juggling. Hits behind him. quick OoS. it's kinda silly
I mean characters can have silly things, that's fine
just one of many indicators that he probably isn't bad

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
@ MagnesD3 MagnesD3
What I saw over the last few pages is that you made an argument, but when people responded you repeated the same arguments or said (basically) "I disagree". Specifically my super long post that you said that, after I clarified, that its your opinion is the opposite of what I said. Like, wat? I'm done with this conversation, nothing new has been said on your side and way too many attempts have been made, its going nowhere.
Yeah I quit talking about it because its just clear that we were just disagreeing on certain notions. There really isnt anything else to say that already hasnt been said.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
@ TheGravyTrain TheGravyTrain I think when people say that punish game [potential] doesn't matter, what they're meaning is the disparity between character a's conversions isn't significant enough vs character b's conversions, so who ever is more capable of winning neutral wins the matchup in the long run.

Like, it doesn't matter if you get 70℅ on a conversion if you only win that conversion 20℅ of the time when the other guy gets 50℅ every time they win.

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
@ TheGravyTrain TheGravyTrain I think when people say that punish game [potential] doesn't matter, what they're meaning is the disparity between character a's conversions isn't significant enough vs character b's conversions, so who ever is more capable of winning neutral wins the matchup in the long run.

Like, it doesn't matter if you get 70℅ on a conversion if you only win that conversion 20℅ of the time when the other guy gets 50℅ every time they win.
Basically this. Obviously you need to be able to punish but Neutral > Punish game. Most of the chars with decent neutrals have fairly strong punish games as well. Its a combination of the two that makes a character good. But theoretically, if you had a character that won neutral 100% of the time but only got 10% off it each time, they would still win since the opponent could never get their punish off. Its just one of the intricacies of smash.
Okay I just had my first solid sip of the "Pikachu is actually really good" kool-aid

sign me the **** up
We need more Pika mains clearly.

Last edited:

DaTrueCommander

Smash Rookie
Damn I'm flattered to see I have opened Odds' heart to Pika's love. ^^

I'll voice my opinion on Pika here since I'm a Pika main, even though I'm not that good yet (don't worry it'll come eventually).

I feel like Pika has the potential to be one of the best characters in Project M. He has a really good dashdance, fairly good tilts and awesome smash attacks, and if he gets his little hands on you dear Lord you're in for a ride. His recovery is the best in the game IMO, because it allows for crazy mix-ups and is practically unedgeguardable if you're consistent with it. He also has a very wide range of edgeguarding tools and can afford to go really deep to gimp people. His only downsides are his small grab range and the size of his aerial hitboxes, but both these facts are well compensated by the fact that his hurtbox is minuscule and he's really fast. There's also the fact that crouch cancel makes practically all of his approaches unsafe, but that can be weaved around with a bit of creativity.

I think pretty much everyone who doesn't play Pika underestimates him, because good Pika's are very few. He's a very tech skill-hungry character. It takes a lot of effort simply to be consistent with his recovery, which I think is what scares most people off.

Now I can't really talk MUs, because I don't have enough experience against most characters, but off the top of my head I would say his worst ones are Roy, Bowser, G&W and Lucas. The thing is with Pikachu, that he has a lot of bad MUs, but with some effort, he can pull through even the worst ones. Pika is definitely a force to be reckoned with, be it simply for his usmash.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, I dont think he could be "one of the best" if he has a lot of bad MUs by sheer virtue of the way the MU web works in PM where you are more than likely to run into anybody.

That said, Pikachu is still a sleeper and very solid, easily in the "higher" tier.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Peach has Hanky Panky, who doesn't travel a ton but has very good results. Pika has Anther, who does well. idk about Squirtles; Dirtyboy plays him but idk his general results

edit: oh, there's another page where this was already brought up.

Moving on, then..
Hes a monster BUT all he does is float cancels, camps turnips and does a 3 frame down smash that does 32+%

Im not saying hanky isnt good because hes a scary monster, but peach has some really good frame data and moves.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Hes a monster BUT all he does is float cancels, camps turnips and does a 3 frame down smash that does 32+%

Im not saying hanky isnt good because hes a scary monster, but peach has some really good frame data and moves.
If that's all you see, then you aren't really watching him. Look at him playing against fizzle or mascot - watch his spacing and decisions, look for more than just those moves lol

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
If you read what I already took the time to post over the past 4 pages or so a suitable answer is there. To put it simply the lack of risk involved with those moves is bad design and standardized decisions form as a result.
Standardized decisions.

As I've said before, having solar beam remain after death actually opens a much wider decision tree than you seem to think. There is a much greater balance of risk and reward rather than "well **** I'm about to die so I might as well use it asap" I'm not sure I've read any explanation of yours (and yes I've read everything you've posted in this thread) that explains why Ivysaurs solarbeam disappearing after death makes decision making deeper. When it stays between stocks, I need to decide when the best time to use it is, balancing % of my opponent, likelihood I can set up for it again assuming I decide this time isn't the right time, and also counterplay between me and my opponent. If I lose it when I die, I will use it the first possible moment I can, every time.

Which seems like a deeper interaction to you?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Bowser Dsmash should be Squirtle's Dsmash but fire

Squirtle gets Peach Dsmash as like, a breakdance move where taunting also puts on glasses

Peach gets Bowser's Dsmash with sparkles or something to show the increase in hitbox size.

Also, wtf is with the Brawl beamsword still being like the Monado for her?

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
If that's all you see, then you aren't really watching him. Look at him playing against fizzle or mascot - watch his spacing and decisions, look for more than just those moves lol
You know where i was going with that though, i already agreed that hanky was good, i see his spacing and why he is as good as he is, but character choice is definately a factor and did down smash frame data change? Thought it was 3, i could be wrong

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I think Wolf is more an A- character. Compared to his spacie rivals in A tier, his normals lack serious reach, priority, and start up (maybe except jab and ftilt, but those moves are more niche anyway), which means his approach options can be beat/stuffed by just about anything, and he can't effectively wall characters out. His laser has more start up and a lot more endlag, plus it's clankable so there's actual direct counterplay to it. He still has awesome movement, he has a shine with slightly better reach, he can convert hard off his normals if he lands them, and he has a good projectile, so that still leaves him in a really good spot.
I disagree about Wolf. His approach is actually very strong. His dashdance is incredible, his airspeed/short hop is awesome. His blaster is hard to use but very rewarding. Not as good as Fox/Falco's, but if you decide to clank it, he's fast enough to punish the hitlag. However, I do agree about Lucario.

@ Narelex Narelex Mewtwo being that high doesn't really sit well with me. He loses neutral pretty badly to any character that can bait something out. In general, I feel like Mewtwo loses stage control too quickly to pressure-heavy characters.[/quote]

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
You know where i was going with that though, i already agreed that hanky was good, i see his spacing and why he is as good as he is, but character choice is definately a factor and did down smash frame data change? Thought it was 3, i could be wrong
lol now Peach is considered as a character that carries people now? I've seen it all now

Droß

Smash Apprentice
lol now Peach is considered as a character that carries people now? I've seen it all now
If you're a baddie like me and play a character that likes to / relies on CC dtilts (like muh boi Roy), then it can seem like Peach carries herself since she'll get like 60% for free at least once or twice a match. Not to mention RNG KO options used in the neutral, super long recovery distance, and awkward floatiness not present in too many other popular characters.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
If you're a baddie like me and play a character that likes to / relies on CC dtilts (like muh boi Roy), then it can seem like Peach carries herself since she'll get like 60% for free at least once or twice a match. Not to mention RNG KO options used in the neutral, super long recovery distance, and awkward floatiness not present in too many other popular characters.
And complaining about a character having different traits then what you're used to and claiming said character carries a player sounds more like salt and MU inexperience more then anything.

Instead of my standard MO of claiming Oli isn't as bad people think he is, why do people who say he's bad think so? Hell, while I'm at it, would people who post their list provide reasoning? Might help avoid knee jerks sarcastic remarks from this thread and/or clear things up.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Solarbeam takes an eternity to charge and typically involves actual interaction to get it working. If you get caught trying to raw charge it you have the risk of getting 0-to-deathed due to combo weight and tether-only recovery. It carries over stock because you deserve to keep it, dangit.

Waft on the other hand, you just kinda get it for playing for, what is it now, a minute? Two minutes?

I get the claims of Solarbeam being questionable because of healing and because of other attack moves charging it, but everything else is fine with me.

I think Waft needs to be reexamined though, for sheer fact that you just get it without effort.

willing to have opinion swayed regarding waft btw
So I missed most of the talk on wario's fart, but I agree with the sentiment that waft is a bit thoughtless, considering how there is no interaction between him and his opponent in acquiring it, plus keeping it on death. The choice between recovery and killing with is interesting, but it's not emphasized enough. Considering he has pretty good kill potential, and with his weight, aerial drift, decently sized and positioned ledge grab boxes, and the high risk in something questionable happening with engaging his up b, usually leading to a stock being lost from his opponent, makes his recovery fairly decent, so it just feels like isn't really needed.

It needs an adjustment, that much is certain, but in what way, I'm unsure of atm. I'd like to see more debates on the matter, differing opinions are welcome.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Mewtwo... loses neutral pretty badly to any character that can bait something out.
Not really, no. Unless you'd say the same of Marth or Peach, at which point the same would be true of... almost anyone?

In general, I feel like Mewtwo loses stage control too quickly to pressure-heavy characters.
This is closer to the truth, but you're overestimating how badly he suffers for it. Putting Mewtwo in the corner and keeping him there isn't exactly easy. Look instead to characters that can not only maintain pressure, but make it difficult for him to take positional advantage against them. This is a big part of why matchups like Tink, Wolf, and Falcon are relatively difficult, while matchups against characters like Marth or Link are more favorable.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Personally, I think keeping most or all of charge on death is fine for these characters. Those charges function in a way that is completely different from other types of charge attacks (except maybe you could consider Ivy's to be more "normal", but it takes so long as to be simple to consider distinct). They charge over a long period of time, instead of over the course of a few seconds. They should be treated differently.

So I missed most of the talk on wario's fart, but I agree with the sentiment that waft is a bit thoughtless, considering how there is no interaction between him and his opponent in acquiring it, plus keeping it on death. The choice between recovery and killing with is interesting, but it's not emphasized enough. Considering he has pretty good kill potential, and with his weight, aerial drift, decently sized and positioned ledge grab boxes, and the high risk in something questionable happening with engaging his up b, usually leading to a stock being lost from his opponent, makes his recovery fairly decent, so it just feels like isn't really needed.

It needs an adjustment, that much is certain, but in what way, I'm unsure of atm. I'd like to see more debates on the matter, differing opinions are welcome.
I think the real problem is that there never needs to be much risk in using it, since he has some pretty good setups/50-50 mixups into it against many characters, and getting it is literally just "sit around for x amount of time" instead of a reward for some kind of play, or an active charging, or anything like that. You're right - it's pretty thoughtless.

In Wario's case, I feel like losing charge or losing partial charge on death would make it more thoughtful. Especially if it became more useful for recovering. Instead of "I can maybe make it back with this, or I can keep a really good killmove for next stock" it becomes, "I can use this to make it back, but I'll have to wait a bit longer to get back my really good killmove." Either way, you have to wait to get your killmove back, so it might be worth getting more damage with your stock. If it fails, it also feels like you've lost less, since you're losing x% of a charge, instead of an entire charge. That becomes a more thoughtful interaction.

On the other side, I feel like Waft is kind of boring overall. It's kind of funny, I suppose, but it really boils down to a really powerful and large killmove you get for free every couple minutes, with guaranteed conversions or 50/50s into it on a lot of characters. But before full charge, Waft is pretty useless. You're going to use that move a few times a game at most. There's no reason to ever use it before full charge. There's no reason to ever think about it before full charge except "hey I should camp a bit to let Waft charge" or something.

It's almost certainly the least thoughtful or interesting long-term charge. Ivy has to work for it, charge it up using specific moves, maybe use moves that wouldn't be as optimal if she didn't want charge, for that tradeoff. Lucario has lots of decision-making tied into aura. But Wario just plays the game until he gets Waft and uses it to kill. I dunno, it just seems like it could be more interesting.

It's be really neat if Waft actually did something before full charge. Maybe if you hit with a few of those somethings then you are rewarded with a full charge for it, I dunno. But right now it just seems lackluster. Wario is a pretty interesting character overall, and he has so many mixups with so many of his moves, especially his other specials, and then there's Waft, which pretty much just has one practical use that you charge up just by existing.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Personally, I think keeping most or all of charge on death is fine for these characters. Those charges function in a way that is completely different from other types of charge attacks (except maybe you could consider Ivy's to be more "normal", but it takes so long as to be simple to consider distinct). They charge over a long period of time, instead of over the course of a few seconds. They should be treated differently.

I think the real problem is that there never needs to be much risk in using it, since he has some pretty good setups/50-50 mixups into it against many characters, and getting it is literally just "sit around for x amount of time" instead of a reward for some kind of play, or an active charging, or anything like that. You're right - it's pretty thoughtless.

In Wario's case, I feel like losing charge or losing partial charge on death would make it more thoughtful. Especially if it became more useful for recovering. Instead of "I can maybe make it back with this, or I can keep a really good killmove for next stock" it becomes, "I can use this to make it back, but I'll have to wait a bit longer to get back my really good killmove." Either way, you have to wait to get your killmove back, so it might be worth getting more damage with your stock. If it fails, it also feels like you've lost less, since you're losing x% of a charge, instead of an entire charge. That becomes a more thoughtful interaction.

On the other side, I feel like Waft is kind of boring overall. It's kind of funny, I suppose, but it really boils down to a really powerful and large killmove you get for free every couple minutes, with guaranteed conversions or 50/50s into it on a lot of characters. But before full charge, Waft is pretty useless. You're going to use that move a few times a game at most. There's no reason to ever use it before full charge. There's no reason to ever think about it before full charge except "hey I should camp a bit to let Waft charge" or something.

It's almost certainly the least thoughtful or interesting long-term charge. Ivy has to work for it, charge it up using specific moves, maybe use moves that wouldn't be as optimal if she didn't want charge, for that tradeoff. Lucario has lots of decision-making tied into aura. But Wario just plays the game until he gets Waft and uses it to kill. I dunno, it just seems like it could be more interesting.

It's be really neat if Waft actually did something before full charge. Maybe if you hit with a few of those somethings then you are rewarded with a full charge for it, I dunno. But right now it just seems lackluster. Wario is a pretty interesting character overall, and he has so many mixups with so many of his moves, especially his other specials, and then there's Waft, which pretty much just has one practical use that you charge up just by existing.
Kind of surprized no one's mentioned Rob yet. You can swap Wario for Rob in almost all of these (barring recovery and 50/50 kills, idk if max laser actually kills or not), but for as good a tool as Rob laser is he really shouldnt be getting it for free over time. While it does put him in a bit of a weak spot for a bit after he uses it, he doesn't lose it for very long, and even the weakest form of his laser is still extremely great at gimping. Every other character with a chargeable projectile has to stop and pause to do so, making themseleves vulnerable while the charge. Rob bypasses this weakness for the most part, as even when he doesnt have enough charge he has enough mobility in the air to stall for a bit, or toss out the top.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Idk, the only thing I can say about rob's laser is he might be getting it too fast. I don't think it's as suspect as wario's waft. Still a good move and stuff, but not something that people should be freaking out over.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Idk, the only thing I can say about rob's laser is he might be getting it too fast. I don't think it's as suspect as wario's waft. Still a good move and stuff, but not something that people should be freaking out over.
I just dont think he should generate it for free. People would be in arms if someone like Samus or M2 had that. Rob doesnt get flak for it cause people just kinda hate him anyway lol

Top Bottom